Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Sims 4 - Official Discussion

It has come to my attention, mostly by a user posting in the feedback thread, that RPS doesnt really cover The Sims that much, so how about a community effort?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd0onBYEC1Y

^way too excited people for The Sims 4. However, Sims3 had some good simulation of human behaviour. There was a site Kad linked me to, I think it was on having two homeless sims and recording their journey, AAR style.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    It has come to my attention, mostly by a user posting in the feedback thread, that RPS doesnt really cover The Sims that much, so how about a community effort?

^way too excited people for The Sims 4. However, Sims3 had some good simulation of human behaviour. There was a site Kad linked me to, I think it was on having two homeless sims and recording their journey, AAR style.
    That would be Alice and Kev, I think it was linked to a few times in the Sunday Papers actually: http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/

Edit: Jesus, 2009 - why do I retain this kind of information.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Yes, I agree that it does not really covered but still it entertain me even a little.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    ive played a lot of sims1. every gamer in my class in elementary school played a lot of it. it was amazing game. wasnt really interested in newer sims.
    maybe i should give sims3 a chance. its on my origin account because of that ea bundle.

Network Hub
    Yeah you should, it changed drastically over time. The biggest changes should be aging, a big non-instanced city, arranging furniture in 45 angles and less constant maintenance of your sim's needs. I'm not yet sure if I'm sold on the new Sims 4, because I can't really see any new ground-breaking features. So far it's just a lot of refinement, which will probably change the feel of the gameplay drastically. And of course Sims 3 had a lot of time to accumulate a broad range of features already, which we will see added to Sims 4 again.

Banned
    I like a lot of the new features they're putting into the new game regarding building, and the new character creator looks leaps and bounds better than anything they've done before, but at this point in time I just don't see the opportunity space to be able to put the necessary time into it. Albeit I bought 3 and a few expansions and clocked some serious hours up, it's been a good year since I've touched it and the inclination to reinstall just isn't there, least of all to jettison those Sims in favour of a new iteration. In large part I'm slightly cynical because more than most it's the series represents the bad side of microtransations. Certainly the base game comes with plenty of options, but they do really nickel and dime a lot of customisation in terms of house decor sets/clothing etc.

Mayhap under the new CEO Wilson that will all change, but I'm inclined to wait until the game is released and the facts are known before committing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    ive played a lot of sims1. every gamer in my class in elementary school played a lot of it. it was amazing game. wasnt really interested in newer sims.
    maybe i should give sims3 a chance. its on my origin account because of that ea bundle.
    Sims 3 is amazing imo! :D

Obscure Node
    It seems like The Sims 4, however, will not (be amazing).

As far as I can tell they're scrapping the open neighborhoods, going back to the sims 2 era where everything is divided by loading screens. There will be small "open" districts that have 7 lots (houses) on them that will be open, to switch between them you'll need to loading screen. There will be 5 districts in one world. 5*7 = 35 lots.
    The Sims 3 world (Vanilla) had 80 without any loading screens.

This and the big lack of information for a game that's to be released in 3 months has The Sims 4 community in twisted knackers.

All they seem to keep going on about in press releases is EMOTIONS!! and new CAS (which, admittedly, looks nice).

First SimCity, is The Sims next? I wonder.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    That would be Alice and Kev, I think it was linked to a few times in the Sunday Papers actually: http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/

Everyone made a huge deal of that, but it doesn't seem to be at all reflective of the actual gameplay, or things that can happen in the game. As best I can tell it's just an invented narrative, with posed screenshots from the Sims.

Actually, those things happened in the game, the writer just provided thoughts of the characters.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post

im just reading it for the first time and it is amazing. i had to miss that sunday paper. thx for the link

Quote Originally Posted by AlManiak View Post

As far as I can tell they're scrapping the open neighborhoods, going back to the sims 2 era where everything is divided by loading screens. There will be small "open" districts that have 7 lots (houses) on them that will be open, to switch between them you'll need to loading screen. There will be 5 districts in one world. 5*7 = 35 lots.

This and the big lack of information for a game that's to be released in 3 months has The Sims 4 community in twisted knackers.

All they seem to keep going on about in press releases is EMOTIONS!! and new CAS (which, admittedly, looks nice).

I really don't like this.There is a source about this?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorana1906 View Post
    I really don't like this.There is a source about this?
    Well there is this interview (Sims 4 forum post).
    And while you're there, take a look around the forums. It's the hottest debate topic around at the moment.

If the loading times are kept down I'm not so bothered about this. While the idea of a living town was a good one, I don't really feel like it added that much in practicality to my games. I don't really remember the AI controlled Sims doing much more than flocking to your location when you were out and about. Open districts might (I say might) provide a halfway house between the old system and the new one.

I fell out of love with the Sims 3 a bit, primarily because of the constant badgering to purchase stuff, including keeping it in the in-game shopping menus (I can't remember if you could turn that off). It was a little bit too much for me, when you consider how much money you already have to put into expansions. I did like the traits system though.

The things I'd want in a new Sims game I don't think will ever happen cause it's too bleak - harder to achieve careers (literally being stuck on the bottom of the ladder), poverty, unemployment - bad stuff that isn't a failure state as such (such as the death variety), but a part of the ups and downs of life. Oh, I'd also love to see Terraced housing...
    Please feel free to visit my Deviant Art page.

Obscure Node

The removal of open cities I can buy as a technical necessity.

What's really outright skeevy is the removal of create-a-style, which was the main way to actually make a sim or house look good without resorting to store content (or custom content, which was buggy as heck), because the only possible reason can be to try to strongarm people to buy more store content, because instead of making a cool shirt or retexturing that sofa, you can only pick from their pre-made ones.

Well there is this interview (Sims 4 forum post).
    And while you're there, take a look around the forums. It's the hottest debate topic around at the moment.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeekyFun View Post
    The things I'd want in a new Sims game I don't think will ever happen cause it's too bleak - harder to achieve careers (literally being stuck on the bottom of the ladder), poverty, unemployment - bad stuff that isn't a failure state as such (such as the death variety), but a part of the ups and downs of life. Oh, I'd also love to see Terraced housing...
    There are some mods for this if i remember correctly. However i agree, i would like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorana1906 View Post
    There are some mods for this if i remember correctly. However i agree, i would like that too.
    if the game was opened to modders, with the popularity and sheer possibility sims offer that wish could have come true.

but there is just too much money for EA in expansion packs and dlcs for them to allow modding. plus a bad rep because of the amount of non-family content modders can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    if the game was opened to modders, with the popularity and sheer possibility sims offer that wish could have come true.
    but there is just too much money for EA in expansion packs and dlcs for them to allow modding. plus a bad rep because of the amount of non-family content modders can produce.
    I never seen so many dlc and expansion for a the sims game like the sims 3. Calculated that only the big expansions,not the "stuff", are 280 .

However i read the interview and the discussion,if everything is like they said, this game is pratically a step back.
    A cross between The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. Where the logic would lead us to think of a world more alive and bigger, more and more like a small town completely controlled, what we have is a system equal to the sims 2 but slightly larger. Smaller cities, a smaller number of Sims, a maximum of 20 Sims to lots (family always locked to 8), loading time for lot,and i think quite everything.
    if the premises are these, what I see is Sim City over again

Banned
    TBH aside from the problems of asynchronous ageing I didn't mind the household approach of Sims 2. The downside to sims 3 was that you couldn't have multiple households in the same neighbourhood and frankly it got unwieldy to run more than a handful of sims. Being able to switch between households in 2 was great and allowed you to have loads of sims on the go all at once. I had something like 6 households going at one point, all engaging with each other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The Sims 4 comes out in the UK tomorrow. So far the reaction has been... non-existent. Few (if any?) review copies of the game were handed out, and Metacritic users seem to flee at the sight of it. I was expecting a lot more fanfare for a franchise which has repeatedly snatched the title of the best-selling PC game of all time.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 04-09-2014 at 05:18 PM.