Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Most Skillful Multiplayer Game ?

What do you think,for which one would you say that ?

I'm kinda tie between Quake 3 and CS 1.6

Quake 3, obviously.

Would say DotA too but I'm not so sure
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You really can't make this comparison. Comparing genres is not doable and even within the same genre its difficult to make such a comparison because of subtle differences between most games.

Comparing skill caps might be easier. I might say MOBAs/RTS games have the highest skill caps but then I see people do things in FPS and fighting games that amaze me no end. So I don't know.... :/

Like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA - how do you translate this to other game genres? All you can do is appreciated the skill, instinct and timing it took. I still can't believe he parried the entire fucking super. Godamn Daigo.
    Last edited by khaz; 05-08-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    This won't end in a flamewar at all...

And as khaz said, you really can't compare them. "Skills" that help in games like ArmA and SWAT will make you pathetic in CS or Battlefield (I was trained to identify a target before shooting. I get killed a lot during that split second in games where it isn't an issue :p). People who memorize build orders might do great at Starcraft, but run into problems with more fluid games. And people who are used to reacting won't be able to play Starcraft competitively (in the time it takes them to react to the enemy, the enemy has built 300 zerglings).
    Last edited by gundato; 05-08-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It is technically possible to use two mouse pointers in one computer. If SC2 was moddable, someone whould make a dual mouse mod for it.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Starcraft 2, requires physical and mental skills at the same time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It is technically possible to use two mouse pointers in one computer. If SC2 was moddable, someone whould make a dual mouse mod for it.
    I don't know what that has to do with anything in this thread thus far, but I disagree.

Historically: Using both your hands for different things is hard.

The only use I can see for two mouse cursors in Starcraft (or any RTS, really) would be to have one cursor responsible for clicking the GUI and one responsible for controlling your troops. And competitive players never use the GUI, they use a keyboard.

Also, I suspect this would take a lot more than just "modding".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    I would vote Ruse, a much underappreciated gem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think your choice of RUSE needs some justification, even under the fuzzy and undefined we're talking about skill. RUSE, if I recall, is rather light on the sort of economic micromanagement (macro) and unit micromanagement (micro) that characterises, say, Starcraft. A good player is one who shows sound judgement in unit composition and positioning. Reading your opponent and countering their composition matter rather more than 150 actions per minute.

Makes me think of Dawn of War 2, which is in between. It's very much a game of positioning. Unit counts are lower and organised in squads, and combat is not so fast that you don't have time to make choices. However, you need the ability to move and potentially fight in multiple locations simultaneously, and there are lots of unit abilities that reward both good positioning and skillfull micro- the better the micro, the more tricks you can pull off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    DoW2, because I have nothing to compare it. FPS's don't count.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3.

Network Hub
    Starcraft: Brood War is by far the hardest multiplayer game in terms of what it takes to be the best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    DoW2, because I have nothing to compare it. FPS's don't count.
    Dota is the closest cousin.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    crpg, obviously.

That's quite a boring question IMO, because everyone knows the answer to it. Just check the most played e-sport titles and you can probably drum out a top contender for each competitive genre.

The more interesting variation on this question would be what singleplayer games require the most skill to beat/master? And I might be inclined to go with SpaceChem in that regard...
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    DoTA, that much hatred of your common man, and the thick skin to repel the hatred of others.

Surely it is an form of art?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Mount & Blade without autoblock. Or maybe that's just me because I suck at the game :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Starcraft: Brood War is by far the hardest multiplayer game in terms of what it takes to be the best.
    This.

All FPSes are out of the window on the spot because in an FPS you control your avatar, and you control it directly.

In just about any RTS at any given time you're controlling dozen(s) of units, scattered all over the map so you can never see most of them, simultaneously.

Then there's build orders, strategies in general, macro, research, all of which needs to be managed at the same time.

Even the simplest of RTSes are leagues ahead of FPSes in complexity and skill required.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quake 3 was all about the twitch and how good you were either predicting movements (rocket launcher) or shooting people in the face (railgun).

UT is like Q3 without the railgun. CS is like Q3 if Q3 were a drinking game.

Starcraft was all muscle memory. Settle on a build order, then work on your cpm.
    Last edited by Nalano; 06-08-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen