Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kerbal Space Program

Disclaimer: Despite finding a few old threads I didn't want to necro an almost three years old topic, so I'm making a new one.

Just yesterday I couldn't resist any longer and ended up buying another game. It was, as the title suggests, Kerbal Space Program. I had a blast with the demo just trying to launch a rocket and just had to buy it.

Now, the reason I write this, is that I'm looking for a friendly guide to the game. Something simple and easy to digest, nothing too technical.
    Does anybody have a link to something like that?

Thanks in advance, lovely people.

No KSP thread would be proper without linking to Scott Manley and his guides: http://youtu.be/puC-YV_h9Us

Also you can always ask stuff at the KSP subreddit and people will help.

I've been playing it ( modded for more realism, though ) for some months now. I love it, and I've borrowed quite a few books from the university library to understand more about orbital mechanics and aerodynamics.

Incidentally - any word on when this will be "officially" released? I tend to not play games in alpha/beta, and apparently this one is still in alpha (though that raises the question of what exactly a beta will look like, since this seems well past alpha).

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    Incidentally - any word on when this will be "officially" released? I tend to not play games in alpha/beta, and apparently this one is still in alpha (though that raises the question of what exactly a beta will look like, since this seems well past alpha).
    Eh, it's labeled like that because they want to add more content to the "career" mode of the game like parts costing money and government / corporate funding for goals. Right now you unlock stuff by doing experiments in space/or on the surface of celestial bodies.

There is of course the game mode in which everything is unlocked from the start and you just build.

I would assume the enter beta once they've implemented all the features and content they plan on adding?

And then I assume it'll be a beta where they do beta stuff. :)
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Seems reasonable!

I'm not anti-early access, I just have such a massive backlog of finished games I'm in no rush to do betas :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Caddybear's suggestion is probably the best - Scott Manley's videos will teach you a lot of the basics. I have two problems with them though - firstly they're a bit drawn-out in some places (but most of these kinds of vids are) and secondly sometimes you're just told to do something without telling you why you're doing it - which can be a problem later on if that doesn't really work out for a rocket of your own design. It really helps if you can do a sort of crash-course in orbital mechanics so that you understand why you're doing what you're doing.

There are also many guides on Steam too which are fairly well written, any of the popular Gameplay Basics guides will be helpful.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.

If you're like me then I wouldn't go for Scott Manley (or yet, at least) purely because he does so much cool stuff that for me it took away some of the sense of discovery and achievement. He is awesome, but that's what KSP is about, for me.

I punched the air the first time I made a stable orbit without having learned anything, but he'll visit every planet twice in a single launch using only a naked Kerbal with an RCS on his head or something. With no RCS fuel. Also the Kerbal is dead.

Plus the spoilers, I always avoid learning anything about the planets and moons so that I can discover them on my own even their names and colours. Extreme maybe, but there we go.

I only used the wiki, particularly the orbiting section. I mean sure that's why I suck and I take hours to do simple things in game, but oh well!
    http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorials
    Last edited by P7uen; 09-04-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    When it's done. There are some very big technical hurdles (maths, programming, etc), and some art assets and game mechanics (mission planning/SP story) that need to be added. So if they set a date, they would probably miss it or have to drop features.

PS, don't bother trying "rocket planes" or airplanes much at all right now, as it's not really bug free (wings are not quite placeholders, but have a lot of work to do). Some can build perfect ones, but it takes a lot of work. Rockets though are about feature complete, and can be built real easy (1 large solid booster, a liquid engine/fuel above and a separator in the right place :P ). They also fly really well since the latest update (Unity got some physics features added that the devs could use to fine tune the physics better).
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 09-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    PS, don't bother trying "rocket planes" or airplanes much at all right now, as it's not really bug free (wings are not quite placeholders, but have a lot of work to do). Some can build perfect ones, but it takes a lot of work. Rockets though are about feature complete, and can be built real easy (1 large solid booster, a liquid engine/fuel above and a separator in the right place :P ). They also fly really well since the latest update (Unity got some physics features added that the devs could use to fine tune the physics better).
    You can always do what I ( and some people ) do and use the Ferram Aerospace Research mod. It makes the atmosphere act like it should ( in vast majority of the cases ) so you can build planes. Well, if you know how planes work, that is. Makes things easier if you know physics, harder if you don't. Hehe.

It comes with its own assistant that will calculate stuff for you, and will also display relevant information while flying as well. It as a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by P7uen View Post
    If you're like me then I wouldn't go for Scott Manley (or yet, at least) purely because he does so much cool stuff that for me it took away some of the sense of discovery and achievement. He is awesome, but that's what KSP is about, for me.
    For now I'm slowly reading this guide and messing around.
    I haven't had much time to play but I'm looking at it only when I need them or after hilariously fail a few times. Also playing the in game tutorial as I advance playing.
    Orbital manouvers are next.
    I tried the wiki but as always it gets a bit technical and detailed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    You can always do what I ( and some people ) do and use the Ferram Aerospace Research mod. It makes the atmosphere act like it should ( in vast majority of the cases ) so you can build planes. Well, if you know how planes work, that is. Makes things easier if you know physics, harder if you don't. Hehe.

It comes with its own assistant that will calculate stuff for you, and will also display relevant information while flying as well. It as a great thing.
    I possibly will come gold release. It's just I had some mods previously that became legacy/old/unsupported or redundant. Once the game is feature complete I'll look at more additional stuff (will also have finished more stock stuff, so will be eager for new challenges). :)
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

I managed a stable orbit! And with enough fuel left to get my kerbal back safely!
    And then I put a satellite on orbit. Just because I could. I have no idea why I would need a satellite.

I'm finding a bit overwhelming the amount of parts when building. I have no idea what most of the are for. Would playing in Career mode help with that?
    Last edited by Tikey; 11-04-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I managed a stable orbit! And with enough fuel left to get my kerbal back safely!
    And then I put a satellite on orbit. Just because I could. I have no idea why I would need a satellite.

I'm finding a bit overwhelming the amount of parts when building. I have no idea what most of the are for. Would playing in Career mode help with that?
    Career mode is kind of jolly as you feel like you have goals. So you send up satellites and have the kerbals run "experiments" which gives you points to unlock new parts. So it helps gradually build you up to the bigger goals.

A friend and I played it by setting up a space race against one another and spent times posting on blogs about our exploits. He was the "United States of Kerbal" and I was the "Soviet Republics of Kerbal." So we were racing for the Mun.

How complete does career mode seem? The lack of structure is what made me hold off on KSP when I first tried the demo a year or so ago, and I wanted to wait til it was more done.

It's still fairly rough around the edges to be honest. It does guide you down building rockets in a bit more of a structured way. Though when I played it at first I basically just listed off the early space race and did them in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    A friend and I played it by setting up a space race against one another and spent times posting on blogs about our exploits. He was the "United States of Kerbal" and I was the "Soviet Republics of Kerbal." So we were racing for the Mun.
    Hahaha, that's brilliant.

I managed to almost get a unmanned rover to the mun. It crashed on the surface when the I ran out of fuel for the descent rockets. It was back to the drawing board with that one.

Descending is really damned tricky. I seem to remember altitude being relative to sea level, so looking at the gauge during your descent might be very off if you're landing on a mountain, or in a deep crater.

This was the victory music I broadcasted from the moon down on the decadent Kerbal capitalists!

Obscure Node
    I've been pottering about in this on and off, until a few nights ago. I sat down with a beer, and had 3 hours of the purest sense of play I've had in a long time. Maybe this is what it is like when I used to play with lego?

Anyway, got my first unmanned probe to the moon, but didn't unlock the ladder yet so moon landings are off limits so far. Going to try and make it to minmus to try and get my science up some more :)

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post
    I've been pottering about in this on and off, until a few nights ago. I sat down with a beer, and had 3 hours of the purest sense of play I've had in a long time. Maybe this is what it is like when I used to play with lego? Anyway, got my first unmanned probe to the moon, but didn't unlock the ladder yet so moon landings are off limits so far. Going to try and make it to minmus to try and get my science up some more :)
    Pff, my first moon lander didn't have a lander - I just jumped in the air and grabbed the side. Has to be said, the only other successful landing (with a much nicer, ladder equipped, lander) did end in catastrophe.