Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Let's talk roguelikes

I get the feeling that I'm not the only one loving the slew of great roguelikes being released recently. What are you playing? What are you enjoying? What do you dislike about certain games or the genre tag as a whole? Do you think we'll see a true roguelike (sorry Dark Souls) released by a triple-A dev any time soon?

At the moment I'm playing Ziggurat and Massive Chalice (also not a "true" roguelike in every sense). Can't recommend both highly enough. I want to play Hand of Fate and Sunless Sea as soon as I possibly can. Darkest Dungeon seems to be in a solid, playable state and I can't wait to see the release build. Just a year or two ago, I couldn't have named a single roguelike that really appealed to me. Now I've completed several, and plan to complete several more. Seems a great time to be a fan of this "genre," wouldn't you say?
    ~

uhm,I've been recommended not the robots.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is enormously enjoyable despite being in Early Access and missing a lot of its content. New items and features get added regularly, so even if you've mastered it, it won't be long before there's something new to learn. I still haven't wrapped my head around what all the different shrines do. My favourite feature that was recently added were the wooden crates and barrels, which create Sokoban-esque mini-puzzles when trying to maneuver them into a spot where they can be broken.

I also just noticed that Hyperrogue has been added to Steam - no idea how it got there - and it's worth trying out. It's a rather straightforward game, or as much as you can say that about a game that's set in non-Euclidean space. It's slightly lacking in depth but uses its central mechanic - a hyperbolic plane - very effectively in the procedurally generated worlds it creates. For example, there's a world where the ground vanishes from beneath your feet immediately after you step off it, and the same is true for the enemies that chase you across it. On a Euclidean plane you'd be cornered almost immediately but because each world on the hyperbolic plane is bordered, yet infinite, you can still find your way through it. It's only €1 and the free version is available on the website.

I've had Hand of Fate since it was in the humble bundle and while I've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of it, at the current stage the frustration has overtaken it. The real-time combat system is so completely at odds with the card-based choices and exploration that dying in combat feels completely and utterly unfair. In the early stages the threats you face are less dangerous and less varied, but your equipment is weaker as well, so although it's still challenging in places it's mostly busywork. But when the enemy encounters start approaching a dozen in numbers and become composed of skeletons, lizards, mages and golems and combinations thereof, the finicky and unresponsive combat becomes a major impediment to both success and enjoyment. However, until it gets to that point it's great fun. I haven't actually played it in months so I don't know what changes and additions have been made, but I might drop back into it after a save wipe eventually to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    I get the feeling that I'm not the only one loving the slew of great roguelikes being released recently. What are you playing? What are you enjoying? What do you dislike about certain games or the genre tag as a whole? Do you think we'll see a true roguelike (sorry Dark Souls) released by a triple-A dev any time soon?

At the moment I'm playing Ziggurat and Massive Chalice (also not a "true" roguelike in every sense). Can't recommend both highly enough. I want to play Hand of Fate and Sunless Sea as soon as I possibly can. Darkest Dungeon seems to be in a solid, playable state and I can't wait to see the release build. Just a year or two ago, I couldn't have named a single roguelike that really appealed to me. Now I've completed several, and plan to complete several more. Seems a great time to be a fan of this "genre," wouldn't you say?
    I wouldn't call Sunless Sea a roguelike really. It's more of an interactive storybook with permadeath (which you can get around if you decide to switch to manual saves) and a bit of randomization in island placement. Still a good game which I'd recommend you try anyway.

I'll pick up Ziggurat eventually, and Darkest Dungeon, as both sound excellent.

Anyone heard anything about Tallowmere? Looks crude but the four player local co-op could be fun. It's out 3rd March.
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I can't get enough of Nuclear Throne. Also after failing to get along with Rogue Legacy on my PC, I got it sort-of-free on my Vita and I love that too, who knew a good D-pad would make such a difference? I also quite like Tower of Guns, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is alright (the poop thing makes me feel a bit ill) and, even though I've only tried it once, Rogue Shooter. Oh and Sky Rogue but I haven't played that since the alpha was free. And Risk of Rain!

Network Hub
    FTL is still a thing.

BoI is also ace. As is Nuclear Throne. Though they are on opposite ends of the skill-luck spectrum for me.

Eldritch is also pretty nice. I've heard it is low on content, but after playing for ~6 hours I still have plenty to do.

I also quite enjoy Crypt of the Necrodancer, mentioned above.

And Ascendant seems to get better and better the more I play it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Nuclear throne - its just so polished in a typical vambleer way, should be goty
    Sword of the stars the pit - so much to unlock, more of a traditional roguelike
    Dungeons of dredmore - good alternative to sots:pit
    Boi - good alternative to NT
    Darkest dungeon
    Don't starve
    Ziggurat
    Ftl
    Last edited by karaquazian; 19-02-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm loving Invisible Inc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I'm currently loving WazHack. I'm pretty terrible at it, but getting better.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Obscure Node
    My wife and I are almost 200 hours into Rebirth and still typically putting in several hours a day. Darkest Dungeon is great––I just lost my entire A squad to the Swine Prince. Vagante (early access) is pretty fun. It's basically like Spelunky with a traditional roguelike theme where you choose between different classes, upgrade gear, find randomized potions/scrolls, etc.

I'm curious about Ziggurat, apparently I wasn't paying any attention when it came out.

EDIT: Oh, I also played a lot of Dream Quest and some 868-HACK (both now out on PC) on the iPad.
    Last edited by limbeckd; 19-02-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    What do you dislike about certain games or the genre tag as a whole? Do you think we'll see a true roguelike (sorry Dark Souls) released by a triple-A dev any time soon?
    Trolling much?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

I've mentioned Dream Quest on the 'What are you playing' thread, so it would be remiss not to here. Card-collecting, deck-building game that lends itself to quick sessions but is also so moreish that last night's session was curtailed only by 'mouse claw' - it needs KB controls. Anyway, it's simple but difficult, and personally I like the much-criticised graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Trolling much?
    Not trolling, Dark Souls is not a roguelike. It's difficulty can be unforgiving, but death works differently in roguelikes. Dark Souls is a solid RPG in its own right. I own both DS and DS2 on Steam, Demon's Souls on PS3.
    ~

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I'm currently loving WazHack. I'm pretty terrible at it, but getting better.
    I wish WazHack saw more updates. It draws more than a bit of inspiration from Nethack, but that may have resulted in it having various functionality that has yet to be fleshed out. Things like the ability to see invisible in a game with no naturally invisible enemies...

That, and it has some things that pretty obviously aren't working as intended, like the ability for the player or for enemies to attack through closed doors. I died in one game because I needed to pass through a door, but there was an active ogre on the other side who hit me (through the closed door) whenever I tried to open it.

@Xzi: A "true roguelike" ? I doubt anyone would suggest the AAA industry can make a game in the same mold as Rogue, so it's basically abusing the word on purpose, true roguelikes being actually still a thing.

And what would a true roguelite or roguelike-like be? Even though the individual game can be a little easier to label, that expression has been sloppily fitted to a vast array of different games on account of including the vaguest of nods.

I would argue saying roguelite does not convey much more information than "like a casual game but for hardcore gamers".
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    @Xzi: A "true roguelike" ? I doubt anyone would suggest the AAA industry can make a game in the same mold as Rogue, so it's basically abusing the word on purpose, true roguelikes being actually still a thing.

And what would a true roguelite or roguelike-like be? Even though the individual game can be a little easier to label, that expression has been sloppily fitted to a vast array of different games on account of including the vaguest of nods.

I would argue saying roguelite does not convey much more information than "like a casual game but for hardcore gamers".
    Well the definition of a roguelike is fairly loose-fitting, and I'm not here to try to define it myself, but you basically hit the nail on the head. Short play sessions that almost certainly end in death, allowing you to progress through the game even though you "start over" every time. Randomized/procedurally-generated content is a must.

The only real helpful element a AAA studio could bring to the mix is polish, but that in itself might be enough to give the "genre" a real boost in popularity/visibility. I'd be perfectly okay with it if we never see a AAA roguelike/lite, too. It was just a question.
    ~

Consider that a winning run (not a speedrun) in an actual roguelike will usually take much longer than what you would expect from a roguelite, up to the length of an averagely sized scripted RPG.

In fact, the original Diablo was regarded by some as a realtime roguelike (even the developers acknowledged their inspiration IIRC), that ARPG niche is even called Diablolike.

Obscure Node
    I really enjoy UnReal World. A mix of survival, crafting and almost certain death (damn that tutorial, gets me every time!). Or is that not classed as a rogue-like since it's not a dungeon runner?

I'm not really a roguelike guy, but Dungeonmans has been really pulling me in lately. It's a really good graphical RL with a sense of humor. Definitely recommend.

Obscure Node
    First and foremost: FTL (I shall unlock you, Crystal Cruiser - sooner or later I shall).
    Played Risk of Rain to the death, unlocked almost everything.

Then I'd recommend Dungeon of the Endless. I'm also having quick sessions with Deadnauts here and there (and I just love the song of its intro...) and Receiver as well.
    In my "to-finish-sooner-or-later list" there's also Teleglitch; I can't get past level 4 and then frustration takes over...