Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pillars of Eternity

Couldn't find a dedicated thread....

Backer beta should arrive today. Currently only Steam (but full release will also be DRM free on GoG etc) and only Windows (they are working on Mac/Linux beta).
    Entries just appeared on Steam. Links courtesy of C2B/Duraframe300.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/317120/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/317120/

http://steamdb.info/app/317120/

Anyone else really excited about this?
    =)
    Last edited by LarsWestergren; 18-08-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm caught between playing this and waiting. Decisions....

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I backed, but I don't think I backed beta tier... so I suppose I'm still waiting on release like all the rest of the non-backer schlumps...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    I backed, but I don't think I backed beta tier... so I suppose I'm still waiting on release like all the rest of the non-backer schlumps...
    You can get beta access for another $25.

Personally I only backed one of the lower tiers in the initial Kickstarter campaign. As development progressed and I saw what they were coming up with, I first added beta access and then recently also the world almanac (it's probably "poor value for money", but I really don't care) and even the first expansion pack.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWestergren View Post
    Anyone else really excited about this?
    =)
    MEMEMEMEMEMEME!

... I mean, um... yes. Some people have a certain level of excitement about this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Excited for it to come out, but given Obsidian games tend to play like early betas on launch, I'm definitely going to hold off for now. And even though I backed at the $50 that didn't include beta access anyway it seems.

I really don't see the benefit of playing a game like this during the beta phase. Unless you really want to help Obsidian to find bugs.

I also backed it at 50$. Not sure it gives me the rights for the beta. If it does i'll probably play with the character builder (I think that's where I spent most of my time playing BGII :P )

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Didn't back the KS and have too many other games to play right now, so I'll hold off too. Maybe in a sale?

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    Given Obsidian's track record with bugs, I wouldn't bother worrying about playing the beta. I'm a backer, but I have no intention of firing this up until release.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    Given Obsidian's track record with bugs, I wouldn't bother worrying about playing the beta. I'm a backer, but I have no intention of firing this up until release.
    Dungeon Siege 3 was released on time, polished and pretty much bug-free. South Park was also pretty bug free. RPS harped on it, but apparently it had fewer bugs than industry standard when audited - it got the highest possible rating.

I do expect the beta to be a bit buggy though - a few showed up on the Gamescom demo for instance. But it is because I want to help Obsidian to make this the best damn game it can be that I'm going to beta play the hell out of this on as many different machines as possible and provide lots of constructive feedback.
    :)

I kinda wish I'd chipped in a bit more now.

Not that I'd want to play the entire thing but I dearly want to see it in motion.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Dungeon Siege 3 was released on time, polished and pretty much bug-free. South Park was also pretty bug free. RPS harped on it, but apparently it had fewer bugs than industry standard when audited - it got the highest possible rating.

I do expect the beta to be a bit buggy though - a few showed up on the Gamescom demo for instance. But it is because I want to help Obsidian to make this the best damn game it can be that I'm going to beta play the hell out of this on as many different machines as possible and provide lots of constructive feedback.
    True enough, but to be fair they got almost a years' extension on South Park. It shouldn't have had many bugs with that kind of time buffer. And they did do a good job on Dungeon Siege 3, even if the final product was mediocre.

Obsidian has made some of the buggiest games in PC history in KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas. They earned their reputation of putting out horrendously buggy games and one or two polished releases won't change that reputation overnight. Obviously I like their idea enough to being a KS backer, but when I did I figured that I wouldn't really be able to play it until probably the 2nd patch after release. But I backed it because I want to see the game made (I'm a huge Baldur's Gate fan) and I like their stuff enough to want to play more of it

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar

This is pretty much how I feel too, Obsidian are probably the most talented devs in the RPG and not-shit writing fields, which happen to be the very same fields I prefer to frolic in. I can cut them some slack for the bugginess and lack of polish, but Pillars of Eternity is basically a game made specifically for me (and y'know the thousands of other people like me). I want it to be amazing and I think I can provide good feedback to hopefully help make that happen.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Excited for it to come out, but given Obsidian games tend to play like early betas on launch, I'm definitely going to hold off for now. And even though I backed at the $50 that didn't include beta access anyway it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    I also backed it at 50$. Not sure it gives me the rights for the beta. If it does i'll probably play with the character builder (I think that's where I spent most of my time playing BGII :P )
    The $50 tier never included beta access. That was at the $110 tier (yikes). But it was made available separately later on for $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I'm caught between playing this and waiting. Decisions....
    I wouldn't. Some games are fine to play as a beta but not story driven RPGs.

Looks like the Eternity website is already slowing down from people checking whether their beta keys are available yet.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    I wouldn't. Some games are fine to play as a beta but not story driven RPGs.
    The beta is of mid-game optional side quest content. No main story elements spoiled, no real companions revealed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Dev posted on the official forums suggesting it will go live at 2PM PDT (about 10PM GMT).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Banned
    I'm looking forward to this, but at the same time...I'm kind of unsure whether I want to play the beta versus the final version

On the one hand.. OMG

On the other hand ...OMG Bugs...

Edit. Apparently I'm saved. Been so long since I backed it, didn't realise I'd not hit the beta tier. :D
    Last edited by Kadayi; 18-08-2014 at 09:30 PM.