Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Dragon Age: Inquisition

So what does everyone think?

My first impressions (after around five hours):

- performance is horrible, I'm getting 30-90 fps depending on the location (high settings, i7 920 + GTX 780, newest driver)
    - interface is horrible (no hotbar tooltips, inventory=clusterfuck)
    - party banter is good as always in BioWare titles
    - tactical perspective is back, but it's way to close to the action and the camera gets stuck on fucking everything, trees, rocks, NPCs, you name it
    - no more auto attacks, you have to hold down a button for your character to keep hitting stuff (wtf)
    - lots of small quests on the level of TES titles
    - no more tactics for your party, there's a simple on/off switch if they use an ability on their own in combat
    - you can't tell what's happening in combat because the camera is too close and the effects are way overdone, everything blinks, shines and explodes all at once
    - respawning enemies (arghhh)
    - areas seem fairly large

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've just watched a friend play thus far. Need mo money.

- Enjoy our unnecessary cartwheel sequences and somersault animations. Watch the wizard as he twists while firing and wonder which will break first - his spine or your eyes from rolling so hard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    - performance all over the place on a GTX 970
    - the interface is GIGANTIC and doesn't actually tell you anything
    - the default movement and camera controls are awful: Q, E to strafe, A and D to turn, hold right mouse to pan the camera
    - no click-to-move, no click-to-loot, so the cursor is completely usless out side of combat; you must get next to an item and press F to loot
    - they stole The Witcher 2's highlight mechanic, but its range sucks
    - in tactical mode (lol) the camera is stuck on a rail about an inch above a character's head
    - the camera can't get through solid objects, including foliage
    - shit camera + flashy spells = can't see anything in combat, so I'll probably move to the easiest difficulty. I hope difficulty can be changed...
    - no auto-attack!!!
    - doesn't feel as snappy and responsive as DA2
    - crushed blacks everywhere, can't see shit in dungeons
    - the facial animations are Jade Empire tier

The atmosphere is nice, I guess.

I can only comment from the outside looking in, but since DA:O and expansion, I havent really looked at DA at all, and I dont feel like Ive missed anything. I like that DA:O was a completely finished story and Im happily believing that thats all there is to that universe.

That being said, I wish you all good fun!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

DA2 had a better story, so you're missing out.

The tapestry from the DA Keep is pretty fun although sometimes it's not informative enough. I had to go to the DA wiki to remember some characters and plot points.
    Also, The Last Court is an amusing text based adventure in the Keep.
    They're a good warm-up to Inquisition.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    DA2 was an awful game, you're missing nothing. Frankly the series died for me the moment some idiot decided every button press had to be accompanied by flips, explosions or something 'awesome'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Enjoy our unnecessary cartwheel sequences and somersault animations. Watch the wizard as he twists while firing and wonder which will break first - his spine or your eyes from rolling so hard.
    *Just finishes a phonecall with my Dad offering to buy me Inquisition out of the blue, and it’s not even my Christmas present*

Ahem. After carefully re-examining my views, I have come to conclude that I'm over it. Long live Dragon Age!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Was expecting a better pun-based title for this inevitable thread. Still waiting for my copy to arrive (if I'm paying this much for a game I want a box with a shiny disc and possibly some sort of map in it, damn it!)

The Last Court is pretty great. While Fallen London is a sprawling web of narratives, TLC is more like a short story and in a lot of ways it feels like the tighter focus benefits it. If you haven't played Fallen London before be advised that at some point you will end up just clicking through the same cards over and over again for stat changes rather than any new story. In TLC the story will end after playing it for about seven days, so the repetition shouldn't last long.

To illustrate my point concerning the overdone effects, here is a screenshot I just took (Right Click -> View for bigger size). Can you find my party?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    DA2 was an awful game, you're missing nothing. Frankly the series died for me the moment some idiot decided every button press had to be accompanied by flips, explosions or something 'awesome'.
    I found it better than Origins, some obvious flaws but at least it was more interesting. Not that interesting is necessarily good of course but I don't regret my complete playthough (which is a lot further than I ever managed in Origins).

Inquisition seems to be a better game than I expected but with the UI and control issues I will be waiting for a patch (and probably a hefty price drop) before I bother.

Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    Can you find my party?
    I can see your mage!1!

I'm fighting a boss. In tactical mode, a status panel (immunities, effects etc.) pops up when you mouse over the enemy. The camera is so bad I can't see this one's entire panel.

I was sort of feeling nonchalant after the first 5 hours. It was ok, but the wonky camera, half-baked tactics view (which is mostly worthless), console friendly inventory system, lack of auto-loot, and the fact that this game just dumps a massive number of side quests on you right away were all drawbacks. I've learned to accept that this is mostly an ARPG, and for the last 6 hours, I've had a blast. I've got a handle on quests, exploration, the Hinterlands, and the massive size and scope. I've grabbed other party members (Sera and Vivi are fantastic characters), and overall the game has really hit its stride. The story, while sort of simple and not terribly noteworthy, has recently undergone some cool developments. And the sense of your character being either a messiah or devil incarnate is very real and presented well by the game. After a so-so early game, I've growing to love it.

I also think Bioware has made some good changes to how characters approval develops. There isn't a "flirt enough to bonk someone" and I really don't know sometimes who will approve or disapprove and how much they will of some of my choices.

Purely from a gameplay standpoint, there are probably better RPGs, but you're also getting a massive and engrossing world to delve into with this. I'm enjoying it.
    Last edited by GoodEnoughForMe; 20-11-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Activated Node
    DA:O was a somewhat simplified but really enjoyable tactical RPG. Casting AoE spells, positioning your rogue for backstab, all great stuff. It's so weird that they've basically turned it into an MMO / action RPG, with pause.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm confused. How does a party based game work if you have to click on your enemy every time you want to attack them?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    You don't, you just hold the button down and your character will spam their basic attack on the chosen target.

Network Hub
    I've racked up about 5 hours so far, it's not caught me yet although I did enjoy the introduction. I've taken time to explore the first region out in the world and the MMO-ish questing and gathering system has perhaps stopped me from getting too invested in it. I like my Elven Archer Inquisitor so far, she isn't too much of a blank slate and the British voice acting is good, the American voice actors seemed really raspy to me so I think I'll be sticking with my fellow Brits voices on any future playthroughs.

So far I've been playing in real-time almost exclusively, with the intention of moving up to Hard and using the tactical mode then. Taking a look at the tactics settings after looking at this thread has probably prevented me from doing that for the moment, I'm hoping they might expand the system in a later patch as right now it's too basic for the game to be enjoyable. The controls are squiffy, I'm getting used to them just fine but that shouldn't have been necessary, it's an RPG like many before and they all controlled fine.

I'm happy with it though, I'm looking forward to more story, more fights and meeting more characters. Bad luck has prevented me from getting any real time to play so far this week but my weekend has me booked for a marathon session to dig in to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I'm confused. How does a party based game work if you have to click on your enemy every time you want to attack them?
    Auto-attack works as long as you're using the shitty tactical camera.

Network Hub
    Lalala trying not read to much here because I know somehow I ll manage to read a spoiler (somehow).

Anyway I posted this to reddit but got no response. For those playing, which class (and archetype) do you find the most enjoyable to play? I am guessing most will say Mage. But im curious to see what the general consensus is before I start playing tomorrow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've only tried a mage. but in DA1 and 2 I often liked using a double dagger rogue. But mages are at the heart of the setting, so that's who I'm favouring.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I've only tried a mage. but in DA1 and 2 I often liked using a double dagger rogue. But mages are at the heart of the setting, so that's who I'm favouring.
    I was a knight mage in DA:O because I got that one mage tree that lets you create armour. Only in the game, it made you armour that had a 99% chance of evading. Or something.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."