Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Television and Games

The RPS article about Falling Skies, a thoroughly mediocre sci-fi show, getting a licensed game that is more or less an Xcom clone made me think. I don't quite have the time to flesh this out but I hope it works out regardless.
    You are Stephen Q. Gamedeveloper (or Stephanie if you prefer that). After getting your boss at Electronic Access very drunk you are foolishly given a moderately sized development team as well as a moderate budget. Your goal? To turn any TV show you like into a game - any game. What show do you choose and what kind of game is it going to be?

As an additional discussion point, what shows do you think have had good game adaptations? With the rise of big budget television, do you think game adaptations will be more common? Could they even break new ground?
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    If the Falling Skies game doesn't get sued, I'd love to see a Mirror's Edge rip off based on Arrow. Template material is template material, there's nothing wrong with stealing a theme, the Telltale's Walking dead games went a long way to prove that, I disliked the comics and the TV show, but the actual source material idea was strong.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Give me any series, I'd make a hidden image game out of it. If it's a HBO series it would include nudity of course.

As an additional discussion point, what shows do you think have had good game adaptations?
    After consulting this list I've come to the conclusion: Not a single one, though Sgt. Saunder's Combat seems fun and I wouldn't know any other game where you get to kill both Hitler AND Mussolini.

And to all those who were thinking of a Firefly MMO: Don't bother.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 22-09-2014 at 02:23 PM.

A Crusader Kings 2 style game based on Nü Battlestar Galactica. More about management, choices and relationships rather than killing children and securing a lineage though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Me and a bunch of friends are in agreement that a Stargate SG-1 based game with mixed Mass Effect and X-Com mechanics would kick ass. Mass Effect for exploration and chatting up aliens, X-Com style for the actual combat scenarios.

Of course, noone's ever done anything good with that IP since Richard Dean Anderson left the show, so...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Game -> Show

Drug themed "Dr" Mario clone -> The Wire.
    The Sim(City)s esque game with politicians -> The Wire/House of Cards
    Deadly Premonition -> Twin Peaks
    Bunch of small, narrative driven, horror/sci-fi/weird fiction games (that aren't Amnesia clones) with twist/moral/punchline at the end of each episode -> The Twilight Zone
    Theme Hospital -> The Scrubs

And bonus, because it's not a TV show:

PROPER game adaptation of Alice in Wonderland book. I'd see it as more wacky Dark Souls without combat and with plenty ways to interact with NPCs (without any dialogue trees or something similiar).

Bonus #2
    The Wire SPOILERS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAiZ2Y4UJ6U
    Last edited by GameCat; 22-09-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Activated Node
    Pokemon Dota 2, using Valve's very own Dota 2 Workshop Tools and Hammer editor. Of course, its probably already being made by some people as I speak.

For example,
    Charmander
    Knows Scratch, Ember, Tail Whip, Flamethrower
    Levels up into Charmeleon
    Knows Slash, Flamethrower, Crunch, Smokescreen
    Levels up into Charizard
    Knows Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Sky Attack, Blast Burn
    Last edited by fenghuang; 22-09-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ^There's an official Pokemon fighting game in development right now.

In my mind something like the adaptation that is Alien Isolation works because it's like playing a snuff in POV and connects to the rape-y/sexual confusion thing that is the first alien movie (which is hard to watch once you see the disgusting stuff that is going on). You are a girl and you' re supposed to do anything not to deal with a toothed dick with legs which can't die and in some ways all types of stealth are exploited (shadow based, vertical/horizontal line of sights, hiding in plain sight for androids which hint at their nature one way or another) because all of it works much to the enjoyment of mainstream stealth/survival currents. Even the hand radar thing is game-y.
    This is on paper though and Alien is old. The game idea feels like sick fanservice to me (also videos of the actual game are a bunch of scripted bullshit).

And I totally missed the point because this is movie stuff.
    I don't really watch many tv shows and I'd think of GITS stuff.
    Last edited by Wenz; 22-09-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    post in progress

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    ^There's an official Pokemon fighting game in development right now.
    I was actually hoping something more like a Dota 2 style type of game.

Like 6 vs 6, (because you know a trainer has 6 pokeballs), each person controls a pokemon, goes to "forest" and "caves" to fight wild pokemon or team rocket trainers, then fight each other to level up and gain new abilities and unlock new pokemon to use.
    At the end of like 30 mins, there will be a tournament between the teams, each player can choose between 3 pokemon they gained in the course of their 30 min game, and setup to 6 pokemon on each side, then battle out in either 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, or 6 vs 6 all out.

Obscure Node
    The Great British Bake Off in a vaguely Cook, Serve, Delicious style.

All ingredients unlocked, design your own recipes, precision timing of the prep/cooking processes, suitable for casual and "hard"er gaming, online competitive play.

I could even get away with it not being a great game, because the demographic is HUGE and less fanatical/critical.

God, I'd be the worst kind of game developer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    TV is a medium where the budget is low, so cinematography and effects take a backseat to good writing and acting. Which is why I think games struggle with TV adaptations even more than film adaptations. Because they suck at writing and acting. Even though the decompressed story-telling used in modern TV shows is more akin to what games do than film is.

I'd love a Firefly Bioware RPG, as long as it had the writers and voice cast involved. But then, I'd love a West Wing point and click adventure if it was written by Sorkin and had the full cast.

Weirdly, one of the best modern examples of this is the Lost videogame. It's about three hours long, so for a £30 was a total rip off. But it's like playing a couple of episodes of the show. A couple of mediocre episodes from mid-season-2, but still.

Actual good examples? The Star Trek point and clicks. 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rites and Final Unity. Again, full original cast, decent writers on board, felt like the show.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    TV is a medium where the budget is low, so cinematography and effects take a backseat to good writing and acting.
    Often they exchange effects for nothing...

I'm a broken disc but SAC'S are great as tv shows. If they were rpg's they'd be deus ex without the world wide illuminati conspiracy and generally merciful approach (except no main character dies for the whole thing - maybe because cyborgs are most obsessed about death and are better to avoid all or nothing situations).
    Maybe C77 will be on that, with the old vibe and yet far from stuff that makes it old somehow.

Any word on the stalker tv show?
    Last edited by Wenz; 23-09-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    There's been a good few Star Trek games. I loved Birth of the Federation especially, then there was Klingon Academy and Starfleet Command. I can't remember if I actually liked Bridge Commander now. Also it's not strictly the same but the Arkham games have re-used the voice cast of Batman the Animated Series.

I sort of just want a BSG Freespace clone, I know Diaspora exists but.... with the cast and the full production values. That'd be sweet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I sort of just want a BSG Freespace clone, I know Diaspora exists but.... with the cast and the full production values. That'd be sweet.
    Considering that Diaspora's cast itself is already quite awesome, I would just buy diaspora, turn it into a AA game, and then market and sell it.

Gauranteed win.

---

Also, perhaps, a Sons of Anarchy inspired game where your goal is to expand your motorclub via a Total War-esque mix of strategic flaunderings (such as setting up weapon trades) and gruelling tactical combat.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 23-09-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I can't remember if I actually liked Bridge Commander now.
    Bridge Commander was great. Sadly there was too much focus on combat for a Trek game, but it was well done and original. Multiplayer was a lot of fun.

I've always felt that Falling Skies would make for a great game based on (in Heliocentrics words) strong source material ideas. An XCOM style game doesn't really feel all that worthwhile to me in that setting, since it's basically XCOM with a different kind of alien. I always felt it was more a story of survival, and trying to rebuild society, which I think would make for a stronger game. Finding survivors, gathering resources, discovering and testing new technologies, maybe with some CK2 style random events thrown into the mix. Encountering other groups of survivors and trying to discern if they're friend, foe, or indifferent. There would just be far more interesting stories to come out of something like that than an XCOM-like.

I'd argue Defiance is a decent enough game based on a decent enough TV show. The show itself isn't great, but I like watching it since there aren't that many alternatives. The game is okay for a (now) F2P shooty-mmo-tooty, though it gets repetitive pretty fast. But I like the world it's set in, and still dive in for a bit every now and then.

New game idea:

Supernatural - Killing monsters, hunting things. Open world? Why not. Bobby gives you missions, or you find them in newspapers (odd killings etc). Quests could involve going to a town (with your '67 Impala, of course) where weird stuff is happening, then put on your $20 suit and flash your fake FBI badge to gather information from townspeople. Then, with sufficient information, proceed to kill whatever it is you're hunting. Of course, consulting daddy's journal on how that exactly happens.

In other words, the basic gameplay could be taken from something like LA Noire, the investigations etc, but combat should probably be a mix of shooting and stabbing. Shoot'n'stab. More often than not it might involve luring the demon to a trap, then bust out some Latin rhymes and watch the smoke disappear. If you guys ever played Constantine, something like that might work too. But a more tactical approach might work also, especially since often you would be hunting only one monster at a time, so there wouldn't be that much cannon fodder to justify the combat being straight up action. Choices, choices... Insult sword fighting it is then.

Of course, the soundtrack would involve bands like AC/DC, Motörhead, Led Zeppelin, Kansas, and Bon Jovi...on occasion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Again, not the TV show, but...

I'd fucking love to make free roaming shooter like Stalker set in Stephen King's goddamn The Dark Tower universe.
    It would be perfect.