Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

No Man's Sky Stuff

So i was looking for a thread on this, i know RPS ran an article or two, but could not find a forum thread, so decided to make one as i wanted to post a guardian article about the games music i just read :)

Anway here is the main site with info (and video's) about the game:

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

And here is the article about the 'infinate' soundtrack 65daysofstatic have made for it:

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ic-no-mans-sky

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Well, there was a thread about it, but it got buried long ago. I remember being extremely critical of NMS, but a lot of that was down to fanboyism on my part. Anyway, it seems to just be a bog-standard Elite-style space trader with some roguelike leanings. It's shiny, though I absolutely despise its aesthetic, but seems a bit shallow from the demos. I'm not sure procedurally generating everything, including equipment and ships, as I understand it, is a good choice. It works well for environments, but not so much for the latter, as Borderlands demonstrates. I also saw some very worrisome technical issues in the demo, hideous and extremely obvious pop-in in particular. I'm not usually one to complain about technical issues, but the draw distance is shockingly bad considering how impressive the rest of it looks. Hopefully the PC version will remedy that.

As for positive stuff, the procedural wildlife looks pretty cool, and the environments are also quite pretty (though unrealistic). The destructible terrain is a neat feature that should work well with resource-gathering stuff, and I like that they have some faction combat and the systems seem at least somewhat dynamic.
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    NO MAN'S SKY NO MAN'S SKY NO MAN'S SKY NO MA...

Sorry. I'm just rather excited.

As unrealistic the environments are, they're a good replication of the covers of the classic sci-fi books they're drawing inspiration from, which I'm absolutely fine with. They're clearly playing fast-and-loose with the actual science (your suit nullifies gravitational differences) so aiming for scale.

I'm just really sold on the idea of being this lone explorer who wanders the space high-ways and may or may not find anything or everything. No Man's Sky for me seems like the best game at the moment to explore the final frontier. As I mentioned in the previous NMS thread, I can't see the galaxy pull-out screen without hearing the famous words spoken by Picard before the Enterprise jumps to warp. That's the power I see NMS having, just inspiring this imagination of exploration.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

The aesthetic reminds me of Homeworld, and that's probably going to appeal to a lot of people. I still have my doubts about how enjoyable the gameplay will be, but the exploration side of it does, if nothing else, look shiny enough to flood the screenshot thread with.
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I am awaiting NMS with bated breath and it is a day one (or pre-order, even) purchase for me, especially now that they announced that PC and PS4 versions will be out simultaneously (which was very pleasantly surprising).

I absolutely adore the graphics, I have a soft spot for 60s and 70s sci-fi themed illustration. It is great that it is not trying to follow E:D or SC in the aesthetics or even gameplay.

We shall see how interesting the game itself is, I guess when it is released. I also find Sean Murray disarmingly charming in his communications and I would love to see him and his studio succeed.

As with everything, I doubt it will meet all expectations, but I have a feeling it will be an interesting game.
    Last edited by TheDreamlord; 23-06-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling...

I'm not sure I agree with the gameplay part. As I recall from a feature list I saw a while back, a lot of it will focus on run-of-the-mill space trader stuff - trade, fight, mine, mess with factions and the like. I don't mind that we're getting another space trader though, seeing as it's easily my favourite genre, but apart from the (very shallow seeming, at the moment) exploration it's pretty much the '84 Elite with shiny graphics. The planetside stuff is, however, what's hopefully going to set it apart from the other two, as it seems a lot more focused on exploring, manually gathering resources and such than Star Citizen at least (don't know anything about Elite's planetside mechanics yet).
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Network Hub
    I'm reasonably excited. I think the key is that they get the % of life bearing worlds right.

The only thing worse than trudging around barren, lifeless planets is always landing on planets with verdant and highly evolved ecosystems. The wow factor would soon wear off.

If finding life (especially complex or sentient life) is a challenge then this will be great, on the other hand I fear that it will be rammed full of exotic biped and quadrupeds as far as the eye can see...

The problem with trailers is that you want to show stuff off, verdant ecosystems does just that job. I think the take-away on that aspect is how Sean said that for the E3 demo (which I took as very much as "Screw you, here's a gun, you idiots") he wasn't sure he'd actually find anything interesting to show. I actually probably would've enjoyed it more to see him interacting with a barren world or a hellish landscape. I would imagine the Sentinel robots will be active on the life-filled planets too, putting innate value on life.

Also, some bug testers submitted a space station going missing. Turns out they didn't notice it was in orbit and had moved. I love the idea that people are confusing scale for mechanical bugs.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Wait, NMS has orbits? Didn't know that.
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    18 quintillion planets. It still boggles my mind.

This is going to be either the best thing ever and I won't have to buy another exploration game (and maybe forget about any and all MMOs aswell!) until the end of times; or it's going to crash and burn in the most grandiose way, fly too close to the sun and burn in a glorious blaze the likes of which not even Molyneux can hope to replicate.

I dearly hope it's the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    or it's going to crash and burn in the most grandiose way, fly too close to the sun and burn in a glorious blaze the likes of which not even Molyneux can hope to replicate.
    I would never put a limit on Molyneux's ability to flame out on grandiose promises.

Network Hub
    Too much procedural generation to be succesful, I think. It will be wowy for 2 hours, then you realize procedural generation is still limited by a bunch of factors. And you'll figure these factors out pretty quickly, then realize nothing interested will be generated because our computers cannot handle enough generation, nor is the software there to mould it into a fun game.

But let's hope it won't be like that.

I don't like the aesthetic either, and because it's focused on consoles I doubt we can escape the limitations on pc.

Wonder what algorithm they use.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Well, there was a thread about it, but it got buried long ago. I remember being extremely critical of NMS, but a lot of that was down to fanboyism on my part. Anyway, it seems to just be a bog-standard Elite-style space trader with some roguelike leanings. It's shiny, though I absolutely despise its aesthetic, but seems a bit shallow from the demos. I'm not sure procedurally generating everything, including equipment and ships, as I understand it, is a good choice. It works well for environments, but not so much for the latter, as Borderlands demonstrates. I also saw some very worrisome technical issues in the demo, hideous and extremely obvious pop-in in particular. I'm not usually one to complain about technical issues, but the draw distance is shockingly bad considering how impressive the rest of it looks. Hopefully the PC version will remedy that.

As for positive stuff, the procedural wildlife looks pretty cool, and the environments are also quite pretty (though unrealistic). The destructible terrain is a neat feature that should work well with resource-gathering stuff, and I like that they have some faction combat and the systems seem at least somewhat dynamic.
    Slight nit pick. It's not the draw distance. It's the time it takes to stream/generate the content. So theoretically the PC build should suffer less from this than the PS4 build. At least I'd hope so.

Or, if alternatively you mean the scale of the planets, I think that was an aesthetic/engineering choice. Make it look like a "toy" planet, and not have to have render distances of a few thousand kilometres (as Space Engine does, but with 1/2 a frame per second).

I'll treat it as I did Minecraft. A nice procedural planet/landscape generator and "walking simulator". Anything else the game delivers is a bonus. But as a walking simulator, it still looks great. :P
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 23-06-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Wait, NMS has orbits? Didn't know that.
    Indeed! They also mentioned at E3 that planets will have day/night cycles, which obviously makes sense knowing you have orbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    Too much procedural generation to be succesful, I think. It will be wowy for 2 hours, then you realize procedural generation is still limited by a bunch of factors.
    I don't think we can know that. How much do you actually think you'll get done in 2 hours? You're talking about exploring entire planets, entire star systems, and you're suggesting it'll get boring not long after? The factors are equations designed to determine realistic portrayals of solar systems and their inhabitants. To be bored of that, I think, is to be bored of the idea of exploring.

The one bad thing I've heard and it's something they said they'd like to explore post-launch, is that planets are single-biome. Now that does suck, absolutely, but at the end of the day you still have a lot left to explore and if you consider that even one solar system is one Minecraft level made up of multiple biomes, that doesn't really reduce the impact of there being a considerable amount of solar systems to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Wonder what algorithm they use.
    I think it's in the video in this article where they talk about how they came to constructing their universe. I can't remember, but it's something they actually tried to work out with maths.