Metro 2033 Redux

Metro 2033 Redux

Been playing the Metro 2033 Redux and I started noticing that it... sortof doesn't look as good as the original in some ways. So I started digging and I'm definitely not the only one noticing. It seems the texture quality has been seriously downgraded. It's extremely visible in the PCGamer comparison video below, watch in HD obviously.
    Notice that it's the environment texture resolution and quality I'm talking about, the lighting and post processing effects are better in many ways. But those textures... :(

Thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Original feeling when I saw its announcement was why they decided to visually redux one of the most graphically advanced games still available. I see they've changed a lot of models but it's purely opinion as to whether you think they're an improvement.

I personally like the fact they look different, it befits their respective characters. Making them look the same does away with the fact that 2033 is quite a different game to the more trad FPS leanings of its sequel. In technical terms LL's effects are superior but they're more cinematic and slick, whereas there is a starkness to vanilla 2033's befitting of its tone. And like I said, it's still better than most other games' offerings in that respect anyway. But he'll maybe I'm not the best person to comment. I still think Crysis looks better than most games that have followed it.
    Last edited by sonson; 31-08-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I must say that I haven't noticed any issues with the texture quality, the only thing I think looks worse are the Nosasilises, but those things were never intended to be pretty anyway.

One of the things I do miss in Metro is the ability to carry 3 weapons around instead of two, as was the standard in Last Light, it does seem to make things less dynamic somehow.

Network Hub
    Charging money for a visual upgrade of a game a few years old, and which still looks outstanding. I dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by smullyoz View Post
    Charging money for a visual upgrade of a game a few years old, and which still looks outstanding. I dont get it.
    Me neither, really. Metro is really the last game that requires a graphical upgrade.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Put a bunch of comparison shots in the screenshot thread.

And I wanted to share this. Changing FOV in Metro 2033 Redux, from this thread on Steam.

Changing the Field of View
    Locating the Desired Configuation Files
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033 Redux\user.cfg
    Note: if you don't have a Metro 2033 Redux folder under 4A Games, it's in "4A Games\Metro 2033\110000101a646c1\user.cfg"

Edit this file by using something like Notepad++

Use Control + F to bring up the search function and look for "fov"

This uses vertical field of view so use this calculator to get your desired fov.

http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php
    Last edited by BadManiac; Yesterday at 08:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wait. So is it "redux" or "redo for consoles"? /cynical.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

I'm still kinda hesitant to buy it again, but I love Metro games and additional support for the series is always welcome, so I'll probably buy it anyway haha.

I only had 2033 before, so when I got to buy both reduxes for a nice discount it was a no brainer. If you already own both I _REALLY_ can't see any reason to buy Redux of either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Wait. So is it "redux" or "redo for consoles"? /cynical.
    It's a redo for next gen consoles. It should be mentoined that Metro 2033 was also released on the good ol' 360, so drop the cynisism :P. I think it's perfectly fine that we PC users also get all the good stuff that console users now get. Even if we do have to pay extra for it.

There's more going on here then just a visual upgrade, as the gameplay has been redone in rather a few aspects as wel: both games now can be played using either games' gameplay style. You can have metro 2033 ammo scrounging and carefull aiming in last light, or last lights punchy combat in Metro 2033. You can also be batman in Metro 2033 now, and sneak up people and punch them out instead of being forced to kill them with throwing knives or other stuff, which is both hugely satisfying and fits within the games slightly more hidden themes. Heck, the punching people out alone makes the game totally worth a replay.

Metro 2033 does look better in Last Light's engine, but more importantly it runs a whole lot faster. The engine is far, far better optimized, and for the redux now includes stuff that last light also didn't have (such as Global Illimunation - That's Crysis stuff right there - but it actually runs!

That being said, the Last Light edition isn't that much improved, unless you didn't own the DLC (I did not). Personally, I am a huge metro fan and considered it worth the (Discounted) money. Metro 2033 has been totally rebuilt, and I think the devs deserve some compensation for that, as for me it has become an even more enjoyable game. Perhaps even better then Last Light.

The devs themselves have admitted that, if you own all the DLC for last light, the redux version is not really worth getting. As I have not played the redux last light yet, I defer to them.

Can't wait for the sequel! Metro 2035 the book is there, after all...