Thread: Archeage

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar

Archeage

I just remembered this morning that I got a Beta invite (current Beta runs til Monday) so I played for a half hour or so before leaving for work.

First impressions are good. Really like the character editor, though either I missed it or you can only edit your facial details and not your body shape (I like to give my characters an authentic beer gut). Obviously too soon to get a real impression of it.

At one point I had to kill looters and I saw something like "Progress: 0/100" and thought oh God no, there's your stereotypical Korean grind mechanic, but the first looter I killed jumped it up to 20/100. I just wonder if that was a nod to Western tastes and the original quest really was to kill 100 looters - which would be beyond tedious.

Oh, you get a hang glider by level 5.

Also, no NDA. Not like ESO. There's confidence.

EDIT: just read how the payment model is going to work and I take back my enthusiasm. Looks like it's either P2P or GRIND "labor points" in order to do anything meaningful. Ah well.
    Last edited by frightlever; 31-07-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I tried the last beta - basically I had the same issues with it that I had with Wildstar.

It's gabbling away about a backstory and plot which I couldn't give a shit about - it's asking me to "go visit a rock" and "find 20 wootsits" and I'm losing the will to live. The world is cookie-cutter - the NPCs are cookie-cutter etc.

It looked nice enough - it's UI was ugly tho - it's CryEngine based I think? - it's controls were a bit wonky and some stuff still hadn't been translated.

Then they try to sell you expensive early access packages and you're thinking "you must be kidding me"...

p.s. to be clearer, the cheapest way into this Beta is 45 Euros - which includes just 18 Euros-worth of in-game currency - are they smoking bad weed or what?
    Last edited by trjp; 31-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.

The crafting was the main thing I found interesting before I played. As soon as I realized you need to grind labor points, and pay money to even build a house, I lost all interest. I realize they have to make money somehow, but restricting one of the main draws is not the way to go.

This was supposed to launch today, but seems there might be some problems.
    I keep getting "You don't have the right entitlements to play this game (error #2028)" message

Was supposed to launch 10:00 GMT
    But I read Trion have had DDOS attacks on them and early start packs have had little access to the game

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got into a couple of other Beta events - there's some character in there and they have smoothed-out some of the grind but you'll have to buy into a lot of work to make stuff and in an F2P game you know that's going to be a bit grim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greygamer View Post
    This was supposed to launch today, but seems there might be some problems.
    I keep getting "You don't have the right entitlements to play this game (error #2028)" message

Was supposed to launch 10:00 GMT
    But I read Trion have had DDOS attacks on them and early start packs have had little access to the game
    What is it with DDOS attacks on MMOs lately... First GW2 and Wildstar, now Archeage.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    What is it with DDOS attacks on MMOs lately... First GW2 and Wildstar, now Archeage.

and EVE =(

we poor capsuleers get DDOSed regularly

First impressions, servers are oversubscribed, queue was over 2k I did get in after about an hour.
    The point of the game seems to be crafting/farming but there isn't enough land for the number of people on the servers.
    They made a property speculation MMO?

Maybe I will look again in a month or so, otherwise I don't really see the point of paying anything towards this game. A shame as it does seem to have something new to say about the fantasy MMO experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Couple weeks ago all online gaming services were being hit hard. It happens time to time.