Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 112
  1. #1
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    185

    Why do Bioware always do the relationship thing?

    They always want to go on about being able to have sex, have same sex relationships and generally make a big deal over this stuff in the promotion of their games... I don't get it. Their games aren't like The Sims where this stuff is core to the gameplay, they're totally different and it all just feels out of place and rather pointless. On top of that it is never done well, is super cheesy and you always feel like you just stumbled into it.

    Does any one care about it? Just feels so weird to have it in the game and it never impacts the story line beyond who you pick to live or die lol. It is almost like you go back to a hub, do 3 lines of dialogue and that amounts to like 6 months of real world growth in a relationship. I just end up feeling like you're just having lots of one night stands, the relationship never lasts long, it feels so shallow, they just have sex after like talking a few times......

    I just hate how it is all done, it feels tacked on and not needed what so ever, you could take it all out and it would have no impact on anything. Shepard smiling as well..... just looks creepy and all the flirting is cringe worthy.

    I don't get it.

  2. #2
    Network Hub Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    160
    There was this big push for a while where everyone wanted this idealized version of gritty realism, which I guess technically still still exists since the demand was never met. Unfortunately, Bioware translated it to mean "blood and boobs" instead of complex relationships, dark themes, loss and pain, etc. Ideally, being able to simulate a complex romantic relationship would be an interesting part of a game, but right now it's been relegated into a "Gift until Love" or "Listen to conversation until Love" mini game.

  3. #3
    Network Hub TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    422
    I never understood this either. The whole thing is so shallow it is meaningless.

    Jeremy, I meant to ask you for a while now, what's your profile image? It feels familiar but I cannot pin point it for ages now!

  4. #4
    Network Hub Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    160
    It's from Mouse Guard! Here's a link: http://www.mouseguard.net/

    I really love the art style, and ever since reading the Redwall books as a kid, have had an affinity for brave mice :)

  5. #5
    Obscure Node evilnancyreagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Transexual, Transylvania
    Posts
    14
    broware -- keepin' the homies together

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Does any one care about it?
    Judging by their forums, yes.
    Early exclusive + Bioware pedigree + Microsoft marketing meant that everybody, including casuals, paid attention to Mass Effect. Then Fox News discovered the sex scenes and made Bioware the champion of romance in games.

    The family stuff from Dragon Age 2 is way better than any romance, by the way. I'd like more of that and fewer relationships. I actually cared for my sister and mom and the story had some clever, heartbreaking turns. Meanwhile I'm sure I fucked some people in the other games, but I can't remember anything.
    Last edited by SirKicksalot; 06-08-2014 at 11:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,692
    So did Black Isle and Obsidian did it a lot as well. I'm not sure they are particularly to blame or uniquely guilty of it. It's just one of the general trends in western RPGs.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,164
    Getting to know your crew/party is a big part of these games, so I understand how forming relationships makes sense. But yeah, it can feel incredibly cloying. It shouldn't be a case of just being able to sleep with all the major characters (unless it's SR4).

    Never played DA2 but more interesting relationships with twists, family members etc sounds like the way forward!

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,108
    The romance with Jaheira and the consequences of its ebb and flow were one of the smarter parts of Baldurs Gate 2, the recent trend to "Yes, I commited genocide against your people btw here are some items you like for ++rep until you sleep with me" in Dragon Age is insulting and Mass Effect's spam renegade for sex and spam paragon for a cry and a cuddle isn't much better.

    The Romances in Alpha Protocol made a damn sight more sense.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 07-08-2014 at 02:26 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  10. #10
    Network Hub TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    422
    Yeah, the Jaheira story arc was interesting and well integrated, I agree. But non of this new incarnation bioware sex stuff is anything but fluff (pun intended)....

  11. #11
    Network Hub TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    It's from Mouse Guard! Here's a link: http://www.mouseguard.net/

    I really love the art style, and ever since reading the Redwall books as a kid, have had an affinity for brave mice :)
    Cheers! Is struck me as a mix of Arthur Rackham and Gornmenghast stuff for some reason!

  12. #12
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    110
    Folk wondering out loud why narrative games bother with "relationships?"

    Immature medium? Goodness, why ever would you say that.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Folk wondering out loud why narrative games bother with "relationships?"

    Immature medium? Goodness, why ever would you say that.
    Yeah, because cinema and books never gets relationships wrong.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,525
    I don't even like Bioware games tbh, the silly quest-for-sex relationships just make me even less interested.

    Speaking from experience mainly with just Mass Effect though. Never was very gung-ho about the series. I think I played 1 and 2 the most, maybe 4 or 5 hours each. Fun games and stuff, just didn't really do it for me I guess.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The Romances in Alpha Protocol made a damn sight more sense.
    It just wouldn’t feel right to play a Bondy spy game and not get jumped by four attractive foreign women (one of these occasions isn't even consensual). Though it did slightly dismay me how many people wanted a romance with traumatized teenage Goth girl.

  16. #16
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    768
    Why do Bioware always do the relationship thing?
    Because they do it well. Better than almost everybody. It is far from perfect and is forced/awkward in many cases, but it is mirrored by plenty instances of authenticity.

    Not talking about Bioware sex, of course. That's always horrible.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yeah, because cinema and books never gets relationships wrong.
    Yeah but nobody asks why they include them to begin with. On Tixy's side that they're not exactly well done however. I just think they should be there, and better.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Yeah but nobody asks why they include them to begin with. On Tixy's side that they're not exactly well done however. I just think they should be there, and better.
    Plenty of games manage relationships well, it's just Bioware's 'reward sex' that ruins their efforts.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Because they do it well. Better than almost everybody. It is far from perfect and is forced/awkward in many cases, but it is mirrored by plenty instances of authenticity.

    Not talking about Bioware sex, of course. That's always horrible.
    I agree on all counts.

    Further, whether or not you like Bioware's attempts ... I find being confused as to why having sex and relationships in games is considered desirable odd.

    Are they an important and interesting part of life? Yep. Of stories? Yep. Well then!
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  20. #20
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    63
    There's no problem with tons of spacefaring creatures having sexual intercourse in the midst missions upon which populations of planets and entire galaxies are in immediate peril. Sex is necessary to reproduction. Therefore, in case the galaxy blows up or every planet harvested of lifeforms it is better to have a baby in the oven on board one of the most advanced spaceships known to the intelligent races. First off, it is a shame that Shephard's mistresses never conceive. I figure this is a video game and Shephard is Very Alpha so I cannot hear any complaint against the idea that both sexes can reproduce in Mass Effect's canon. I would definitely bring males and females capable of reproduction on board the most reliable space ship around.

    In that case, however, it appears that Shephard may be sterile (although surely not impotent) and if that were the case I demand that Bioware all Shephard to use dialog options in order to influence other crew mates to participate in sexual relationships for the good of mankind. The spaceship (sorry I always forget the ship's name(s)) and her crew are ready even if they fail. The only question is still why it is the captain of the ship who also has to run around bonking the crew? He is much too busy for bonking and dialogs. Imagine Shephard's daily schedule, probably sleeps just 4 hours a night because he has to be supervising all of the members on every console of the ship at every moment because he is entirely responsible. Unbelievable that he can just call, "time-out, time to gossip and bonk" not in my dayminder, no sir. That isn't the way its done. Only crewmembers screened for reproductive capabilities from now on!

    Best Regards,
    RG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •