Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Tropes vs Women in Video Games
    Because whilst this is not the best way to deal the 'the problem' it's someone doing something. I don't buy a some of her analysis. Her flavour of feminism is not one I would entirely buy into. But feminist voices need supporting, regardless of the constant in-fighting between feminist positions.

Also: for the sake of being really hipster, I was reading Feminist Frequency before this kickstarter and funded before she went public about the harrasment. I'll probably wrap some of her work into my feminism lectures. Getting undergrads engaged with feminism is a fucking up hill struggle at the best of times, might as well link it directly with pop culture.
    You know she pocketed all that KS money and is doing the lecture circuit now.
    lollipop1.jpg

Yeah, money well spent.

As for me, I'm too broke to throw money at Kickstarter projects. It's really not much a choice when the options are...

1. Fund some strangers project that might never get made...

or

2. Buy groceries.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Only ever backed Shadowrun Online. But right now I'm debating how much to sink into:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ongest-journey
    Just backed it. Hooray!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    You know she pocketed all that KS money and is doing the lecture circuit now.
    Unfounded. The first video in the series is supposedly coming out this month, according to what I last read. Keep in mind that while I'm looking forward to the series, I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a supporter.

Network Hub
    DF Adventure - More for the documentary than anything else, been worth it so far.
    Carmageddon - The youth of today need a Carmageddon in their lives.
    Grim Dawn - Had already alpha funded, upgraded slightly when they kickstarted. Loved Titan Quest.
    Castle Story - Like builders.
    Planetary Annihilation - The scale of the battles just seemed a very interesting idea.
    Project Eternity - Obsidian have made a lot of games I like.
    Maia - There needs to be more of this genre.
    Sir, You Are Being Hunted - RPS
    Godus - I did used to like Populous.. (I cracked)
    War for the Overworld - See Maia.
    Roam - I'm still waiting to play the game I have in my head when I think "zombie game", this could be it.

Couple of game related books

The History of Ocean Software
    Sensible Software 1986–1999

Both these books like they are going to be interesting reads, a mix of nostalgia and behind the scenes stories go a long way with me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    War for the Overworld - I wasn't going to back this at first because someone introduced it as "it's like another dungeon keeper!". Then I looked at it, saw they have the VO guy and saw that it basically looks like what Dungeon Keeper 3 would have been and went for it.
    Maia - Sounded like an interesting game, and like WFTO I do love and crave more "dungeon" management games.
    Sir you are being hunted - Cause RPS, sounds like an interesting game too which is nice. I doubt I'll play it all that much but I expect to get my monies worth.
    Project Eternity - Obsidian making a cRPG game of their own IP? Here, here's my bank account.
    Grim Dawn - Loved Titan Quest, love ARPGs and couldn't say no really.
    Nekro - Great art style, good entry price and see Maia and WftO.
    Shadowrun Returns - All of the yes. Played some pen and paper shadowrun before and loved it, so was very excited to hear about this one.
    The Banner Saga - In retrospect I think I funded this one out of excitement for the whole kickstarter "revolution" more than anything else, but I went in cheap and it does look beautiful and could turn out to be a nice little gem
    Wasteland 2 - See Project Eternity and multiple my willingness to fund times a thousand. This is the one I've spent the most money on.
    Double Fine Adventure - I don't really like point and clicks, I do like Tim Schafer though and I loved the idea they had of crowd sourcing the game and how they went about doing it. They certainly weren't the first to try crowd source a game, but they did it in a great way.

I guess I'm lucky enough that I can take a risk on some of these projects. I don't mind throwing a tenner at something if I'm going to get a game out of it. I don't do it with every game, just ones that I think are going to be made and be worth my tenner.

Hopefully by writing all this down I'll commit to memory how many times I backed things I shouldn't and will think long and hard before doing it again in the future.

Projects I backed and whether or not I'd do it again knowing what I know now:

Octodad 2 - Slow updates, but the first game was fun so I doubt it'll be a dud. Would wait and see.
    Venus Patrol - Loved Capsule and Gun Godz was neat. The website is also excellent. Would back again.
    Lifeless Planet - Good updates released in a decent pace and the game's looking good. Would back again.
    Star Command (IOS version) - Can't say I'm very fond of some of the ways the game changed since funding ended. Would wait and see.
    Against the Wall - Fairly steady release of prototypes. I wish more KS projects did this. Would back again.
    The Last Sleeper - Been in radio silence for a while, but even if it never sees the light of day I'll at least only lose a buck. Would wait and see.
    Double Fine Adventure - The documentary alone more than covered the money I gave them. Would back again.
    UFHO2 - Slow updates, but at least they released a prototype last month to show progress. Would wait and see.
    Pixel Sand - Slow but decent updates. Would back again since it was super cheap.
    Idle Thumbs - Kickass podcast and Thirty Flights of Loving was great. Would back again.
    Wasteland 2 - Steady and informative updates. Would back again.
    The Banner Saga - Steady and informative updates and a good beta, easily my most anticipated KS game so far. Would back again.
    Takedown - The blog and forums seem to update often, but I never go there so I've no idea where they're at (And apparently don't care enough to change that). Would wait and see.
    FTL - This game is awesome. Regret not splurging for one of the higher tiers now.
    College Ruled Universe - Slow updates, but at least they released a beta a couple of months ago. Would wait and see.
    Republique - Other than Double Fine this is probably my gold standard as far as post-KS updates go. Would back again.
    Tex Murphy: Project Fedora - Updates have been lacking. Would back again because I'm too much of a UaKM fan not to.
    Dead State - Good monthly updates. Would back again.
    Project Giana - Game was decent but didn't grab me. Would've waited for a sale.
    Project Eternity - Excellent and steady updates. Would back again.
    Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse - Decent updates. Would back again for the same reason I backed Project Fedora.
    LA Game Space - Post KS support has been lacking, but the caliber of the people involved is pretty good. Would back again.
    Akaneiro - Not gonna lie, I only backed for the digital artbook and they let me get it without having to back one of the $20+ tiers. Would back again.
    Dreamfall Chapters - I always go for the lower donation tiers on KS so if the project implodes I won't lose more than I would on a bad meal, but this was the exception. Don't fail my now, Tornquist!
    Last edited by buemba; 08-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Add me: Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Maia - Love the type of game and liked the setting. Also Linux support. A bit too few updates for my tase. But making progress
    Project Eternity - Love the type of game and liked the setting. Also Linux support. Updates are coming. Progress seems to be okay.
    Planetary Annihilation - Love the type of game and liked the setting. Also Linux support. Regular updates. Very promising.
    Tropes vs Women in Video Games - Updates here and there. But only backed (1$) because interested in the topic and want to see what comes out of it. It's an interesting issue imho
    Nekro - Love the type of game and liked the setting. Also Linux support. Too few updates. Dunno what's happening there. I'm a bit worried.
    Shadowrun Returns - Love the type of game and liked the setting. Also Linux support. Updates are regular and with good information. Looks promissing.
    FTL - Aready released and awesome
    Double Fine Adventure - Love the type of game. Also Linux Support. Also Double Fine. Do not follow updates too closely because I want to be surpised when it's out.
    Wasteland 2 - Love the type of game and liked the setting. Also Linux support. Updates have been scarce in the recent moths.

Also backed Sentinels of the Multiverse - Shattered Timelines. Addon to a boardgame I own. Already in print. Cant wait to get it. Also backed Star Citizen - Squadron 42 (not via KS) because, well, space flight "sim". Cant wait for a game in that genre. Updates are plenty and good. Cant wait for alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Unfounded. The first video in the series is supposedly coming out this month, according to what I last read. Keep in mind that while I'm looking forward to the series, I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a supporter.
    I would never support someone who takes such a radical position and then cries about detractors. Meanwhile raking in all that free money while refusing to participate in honest debate or responding to legitimate criticisms. I'm not talking about the foul-mouthed trolls and the ne'er-do-wells crying for her to be raped or beaten. But there are plenty of honest critics of her work that she dodges by lumping them in with the cybertrash.

If this video does come out, the only point to it will be a rousing game of "Find the holes in her arguments that you could drive the U.S.S. Enterprise-D through.

"Legos are not inclusive enough to girls" FEMIRAGE!
    "You made legos for girls and colored them pink" FEMIRAGE!

Warp 1, Engage!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I hope you clicked my link and we're having an actual conversation, but yeah, on most counts, you're preaching to the choir.

Still, my anticipation level is high. One way or another, I suspect the series and the response will be pretty entertaining. Whether or not she takes up an interest in the conversation side of what she's doing will be pretty telling. Based on her prior work and attitude, I'm not optimistic.

I hope she delivers a worthwhile, nuanced series that guides the audience through the subject matter and gently places us at the doorstep of a more productive dialogue, but for that to happen I think it just plain needs someone other than her spearheading the effort--someone with some actual expertise on the subject.

Let's take her up to Warp 5. Wesley, you have the bridge.

Obscure Node
    I backed Factorio, www.indiegogo.com/factorio, but I doubt they will get the funding unless something big happens.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Still, my anticipation level is high. One way or another, I suspect the series and the response will be pretty entertaining. Whether or not she takes up an interest in the conversation side of what she's doing will be pretty telling. Based on her prior work and attitude, I'm not optimistic.
    Exactly. I didn't back it because I don't think she has any particular merit when it comes to this sort of stuff - she comes off as angry and sometimes venomous, more interested in pushing an agenda rather than actually exploring anything. To be fair a lot of the gender arguments in video gaming are remarkably poorly written and seem to be polarising - you're either against anything that remotely resembles misogyny, or you're a misogynist! I don't know how many people get to rake in money from it though.

Checking out that Tumblr site there are two weird inclusions there - Bandage Girl from Super Meat Boy and Kerrigan from Starcraft 2, both tagged with "damselindistress." I'm not sure what the implication is here - if it's that these are somehow sexist then it's an awful long bow to draw (particularly since Kerrigan spent the better part of Starcraft wrecking everybody's shit and outright defying the apparently male Swam Celebrates or whatever, the slug dudes). If this is indicative of where her project is going, then it wasn't worth backing.

Talking about sexist attitudes embedded in gaming "culture"? Good.
    Biased presentation to polarise the community? Pointless.

I get the feeling that she'll ignore any counterpoints by crying misogyny and end up with a hateful rant which will accomplish nothing except breed hatred for her... which will just perpetuate the sexism in gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kovarex View Post
    I backed Factorio, www.indiegogo.com/factorio, but I doubt they will get the funding unless something big happens.
    It's silly, but I'm wary of IndieGogo as a whole since they allow flexible funding.

Activated Node
    I have only Kickstarted Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams. I paid the lowest amount that got me a copy of the game ($10 if memory serves).

It then joined my 'to play' list of games, which is where it remains :(

I did load it up for 10 minutes to have a butcher's though and it certainly looks the part.

I came to the conclusion that Kickstarter is not really for me though as I'd rather wait for price drops for anything I'm less than utterly certain about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Project eternity - I like the obsidian guys. I'd of preferred something different from another fantasy RPG in truth (I found the whole 'Moar Planescape!!!' requests rather depressing in truth), however I'm looking on it more as an investment in them as a company in the hope that it might free them up to develop more IPs down the road.

Godus - Pete Molyneux. Flawed genius for sure, but on the whole enjoyed pretty much every game of his I've bought on some level. Worth a punt I felt, despite the doom mongering of certain 'game journos' over it.

Intended to back SUABH (Jim Jim after all), but surprisingly hefty bill for car MoT that month meant financial indulgences were off the table. Will purchase at release (though I'd of liked a gravestone).

Haven't seen anything of late that jumps out at me as back-able, however I'm on a bit of a gaming hiatus at present (other things taking precedence on the whole) so I'm not really looking that much in truth.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Games I've backed:
    Maia - similar enough to Dungeon Keeper, but has fresh ideas and its own vision. There are very few space colony games nowadays.
    Project Eternity - a good old-fashioned RPG game can't hurt
    Wasteland 2 - I realize it won't be a copy of Fallout, but I liked the game a lot.
    Castle Story - more of a game than Minecraft, has room both for creativity and challenge
    Planetary Annihilation - because it tries new things with RTS, and the genre badly needs innovation, especially in interface department. I'm sick of Starcraft. Yes, it might be the best RTS around - but best crap is still crap.

I need a solid TBS game to go with that, so I might back At The Gates if they announce a Linux version. Random world generation, nice 2D graphics, what's not to like ? It's not totally old-school either - I can't remember a tile-based strategy game where seasons change. Dominions is province-based. I also largely share Jon Shafer's view on 4X games. The idea of resources drying out - and appearing - is lovely. He wants players to adapt, even in late game. The question is: are they competent enough to pull it off ?

Godus - I wish Peter Molyneux luck, but I don't trust him enough to give money. Will buy if it turns out good. It's just that I have nothing to gain from his potential failure.

As for new "Planescape", it will be set in this world:
    http://www.numenera.com/overview/
    Once Avellone announces his kickstarter project in this setting, I'll back it for sure.

As to whether I'm glad... ? Yes, because I'm optimistic about these projects, but it's too early to say. I'm certainly excited about an alternative to Big Publishers. If you fund Kickstarter projects, you're a part of the solution. If you're buying DLC, you're a part of the problem.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 09-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Checking out that Tumblr site there are two weird inclusions there - Bandage Girl from Super Meat Boy and Kerrigan from Starcraft 2, both tagged with "damselindistress." I'm not sure what the implication is here - if it's that these are somehow sexist then it's an awful long bow to draw
    Yup, there is a sense of an attempt to stir things up here. In amongst the legitimate examples (and there is rather a lot of them, which I guess is the point), there's undoubtedly a few which will can be quibbled over, which those with a desire to quibble will naturally jump on (from a quick glance I spotted the sisters from the Void. Didn't get far enough into the game to see whether it was the case as the game was bloody hard, but I got the distinct impression they were using you). Inevitable shit storm will ensue.

Guess we'll have to wait an see. Presumably there's going to be a more nuanced discussion than "here's a bunch of pictures of girls who need rescued in games."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Planetary Annihilation - If someone wants to make me another TA but twice as over the top, I can't throw my money at them fast enough.
    Project Eternity - I like my old fantasy RPG's, now that Bioware have sold their souls to EA and gone completely down the shitter, it falls to Obsidian to get it done. Always liked Obsidian, even if the things they create tend not to be all that great relative to their potential, I guess we'll see if freedom from publisher interference improves things.
    Wasteland 2 - I loved Fallout 1 and 2 (mostly 2). I want more. With Fallout not being Fallout anymore (still good games, just not Fallout games).
    Castle Story - I liked Minecraft, I loved Terraria, which was basically Minecraft with more emphasis on gameplay than building for its own sake. Castle Story is up the same alley.
    Elite: Dangerous - I was a bit dubious about this, but I like the genre so I threw a little bit of money its way (as opposed to with things I really want like PA and PE, which I threw a lot of money at).
    ROAM - I liked the concept of this and was sitting on the fence, but when I saw how much unreasonable hatred was being thrown its way by RPS commenters, it sealed the deal. I like liking things that unreasonable/stupid/bigoted people hate.
    FTL - Already released obviously, but a very nice success story of a Kickstarter project.

I was tempted by a couple of other things, but either the genre isn't my cup of tea or the pitch looked too shakey. Still, for a game I really want to see released I'm perfectly willing to throw more than the retail price of a game at it. I want to help show that there is demand for nice things in the hope that more nice things are made. Nostalgia it may be, but it's quite arguable that while mechanically games have evolved, conceptually in many ways they have devolved.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 09-02-2013 at 12:47 PM.

i backed some a bunch of stuff when the Kickstarter sap was rising in the spring of last year, but like others the initial rush of blood wore off and i became a lot more sceptical about what I was throwing my money at. I've only backed two more recently, if i really liked the project and/or i thought they really needed more support.

Death Inc. - God games are generally not my taste but I very much like the concept, the art style and the pitch in general.
    Sir You Are Being Hunted - because it's Rossignol's baby.
    Project Eternity
    - because it's Obsidian and it was impossible to resist.
    Proball - Revived & Remastered (failed) - out of love for PC pinball and the original Silverball tables. I hope they find a another way to get this launched but they've gone dark since.
    Legends of Eisenwald - I have beta access but haven't had time to look at it much. what's there looks good but felt too raw and early for me and i'd rather see a more polished product before i judge. I'm not now sure if the combat system is actually going to be my cup of tea but I'll wait and see. Great communication and updates from the dev team right for the start.
    Starlight Inception - as we're still only seeing concept art in the updates i have a feeling this is going to slip quite a bit from the august 2013 promise. tbh if Star Citizen & Elite Dangerous had come along six months earlier i probably would have backed one of them and not this, but most likely would buy all three anyway on release if they lived up to the promises.
    Grim Dawn - as i loved Titan Quest.
    Wasteland 2 - dropped $55 on this and still by the far the one that most excites me from this bunch, particularly having watched the first gameplay video today.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 09-02-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Wasteland 2 - dropped $55 on this and still by the far the one that most excites me from this bunch, particularly having watched the first gameplay video today.
    It certainly was encouraging to see the progress they've made. So far it's looking exactly like what I'd hoped it would be.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by kovarex View Post
    I fail to understand how it is possible that this might not make the goal. Maybe because it is indiegogo. But the game is pure awesome. Just lookt at the sprawling science factory (all zoomed out) i built for the second mission:

Factorio2.jpg
    There are dozens of conveyor belts and hundreds of robotic inserters building science! And ammunition of course. The bad guys hate science!
    And you get the alpha including a LOT of gameplay and even missions immediatly when backing!
    And yes, i am advertising shamelessly here.
    And no, i am in no way affiliated with the makers of this, i just happen to love the game.

edit: Gnah, i once again forgot how to add pictures of any size at all. Anyways, should you be interested, there is lots of footage on youtube.
    Last edited by DeVadder; 21-02-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    Currently playing Supraball, Titanfall, Wildstar and Eve.
    If you happen to like or be interested in fw or general lowsec shenanigans in Eve, say "o/". Name is De'Vadder there.