The Witcher book series...

Am I correct in assuming these are the two books that the games were spawned from?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Wish-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Elves-An...tt_at_ep_dpt_1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Those are two books within the series that the video games continue the narrative of, yes.

Now that that's taken care of, let's have two pages of random tangential discussion.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Only two? Personally I'd be hoping for more.

What was your general consensus on the games? I just picked up The Witcher and 2 since they were on sale for $15 total. They're ones that I'd always looked at from afar, but never really decided on whether I wanted to own them or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    There are seven books in total.

The games are what you'd expect from a Polish developer: Obtuse and unforgiving with the control schema, but a happy departure from English-centric Tolkienesque fantasy narrative.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    The games are very good

Those books are also rather good. Talking to a person I used to know who actually read the books in the original polish: The translations miss some of the nuance, but are overall very good translations.

Just be warned: The Last Wish is the first collection of short stories and doesn't tie in with the game all that much. The second translated book is actually the third book (there is a second set of short stories) and ties in VERY closely with the second game (and the overall mythos). I suggest reading both The Last Wish and BLood of Elves prior to playing TW2 if you want the full impact. You can ignore them before TW1, and it might even be a good idea to do so as Geralt has lost his memories (although, knowing who Ciri is makes some parts of the game much more powerful).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Those two books are the only two that have been translated from the original Polish, to English, so far. As Nalano says, there are 7 in all. The Last Wish is a collection of short stories, with a central narrative, and is seen as the starting point for reading the books. The Blood of Elves is the first book of a 5 part series (the 2nd book, Times of Contempt should be translated/published this year, but it's been delayed repeatedly for the last 3 years). There are still the 4 books in that series, and another book of short stories to be translated/published in English.

The games themselves take place several years after the events of the books, and there's some hand-waving/necromancy/amnesia to explain why a lot of things are new to Geralt... hence everything getting explained, and not recognising a character from the books if you haven't read them. So you don't need the books, I quite enjoyed them though, Last Wish especially, and am looking forward to the others when they're published. They're not necessary, but they're a nice addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Obscure Node
    Great ! keep on share stuff like this ...

Healthcare jobs

Ah the witcher books they actually got me into fantasy, after I played the games. I'm polish and so read the originals and indeed I feel a lot of my enjoyment came from the references to polish (and European) folk lore, the use of language and dialects , and other polish isms. I'm not sure how well all that translates to English, I always feared a lot would be lost. I still want to replay the game in English to see how that panned out
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Obscure Node
    I've read the Last Wish and really enjoyed it. What struck me most is how similar the dialogue structure is between book and game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I could go for a Comics series of The Witcher. The one Dark Horse one was good. Not really fussed by the books, didn't hit it off with them. He's basically a feudal Batman without the Republican taint.