Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

CoD Ghosts features women in multiplayer (not sure about SP)

Would have posted in Tropes thread but it's nasty in there.

So, thoughts? Seems like a good idea.
    steam: sketch

Does anyone really care at all? Seriously?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I know this place doesn't care about CoD, but I thought a few might want to admit they play it every now and again :p
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As long as the model of the character is done well, sure its a nice addition.

Now the bigger news would be that 1/3 the way into Ghosts the main character you control is a female for the rest of the game...yah won't see that happen anytime soon.

100% of the game the main character you control is a flying gun.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It would be a hilarious troll if they added female soldiers, then put a tit slider in the custom character creator. Or offered $2 breast enlargement DLC.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Are they mo-capped or did all the mo-cap money go on dogs?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Sure focus on such unimportant stuff instead of making cod games better because they are medicore now at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    CoD pretty much set the bar when it came to this generations console shooters. You don't have to like them and their formula may not change much over each addition to the series, but they're pretty much the king of console shooters with more players than most pc fps games as well.

This is actually a pretty cool change, one I'm not sure anyone was asking for, but its a good change none the less.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    They set the bar with what actually ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Raven Shield had female models for multiplayer. More games should offer this choice, so I see this as a good thing.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Kind of a no-brainer really.

Or at least should be.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    They set the bar with what actually ?
    Multiplayer, I would guess. Isn't that why so many people play them?
    I'm only interested in the singleplayer campaigns, and I actually liked the first Modern Warfare - it wasn't great, and already had a lot of the terrible gameplay issues that plagued the series since ("FOLLOW!"), but it did some interesting stuff. MW2, however, I found simply appalling and from what I heard the subsequent parts only got worse.

Still - despite being so massively expensive, I'm under the impression that the singleplayer portions of the various Cawladoodles are pretty irrelevant to most of their player base. As I said, I've got zero interest in the multiplayer parts, so I can't really comment on them - but it seems to me that they must be doing something right when they're so massively popular.

Anyway, now you can play as a woman. Yay, I guess? I mean, whatever you might think about the series, it's at least a step in the right direction. Just keep in mind how unbelievably fucking large the player base is.
    There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    She looks a lot like Ashley from Mass Effect.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    As long as the model of the character is done well, sure its a nice addition.
    $1000 says it's just a female head option in the newly announced character customizer.

Are the dogs female as well or is it just the humans?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    It matters in context. This is a very popular franchise in an industry that pretends female gamers don't exist and female characters are inherently uninteresting to their (male) player base except as (preferably hot and fuck-able) side-characters. The game also has a legendarily bro-ish community. Having a relatively normal looking female model as an option in multiplayer is a fairly big deal in that sense.

As for whether or not it matters to gaming as a whole ... it matters only insofar as it represents part of the aggregate. I don't want perfectly equal, PC games in which exact, unartistic attention is paid to demographic representation. At the same time, this is not an artistic game making well-thought-out statements. This is exactly the sort of game that has no reason to be overly biased towards one gender or one ethnic group either in terms of it's in-world characters or it's target audience. Furthermore we have a problem of balance in the industry. Individual games aren't the problem; the broad average of attitude and available product is sadly skewed towards a male audience, more so than the actual audience is. And that's before you get to the negative social trends embedded in that bias--both inevitable ones from larger social forces and a few more concentrated in gaming and geek culture. At some point, then, individual games have to do something different and maybe even something boringly obvious like having a female character model. At some point individual games have to do something other than pander to the default: horny white male youth.

That one of the largest franchises in gaming is making even this small a step given all of it's bro-ish history and it's long run as a male-oriented franchise about machoism and war and man-shooting ... well, that's something. I think it's cool. Small and relatively unimportant in the larger scheme of my life given that I have no interest in Call of Duty but I think this sort of thing matters. This kind of boring, uninteresting "no DUH" stuff. Because so, so, so many games don't do the "no duh" stuff. That's why so many of us whine about sexism gaming culture all the time. Because stuff like this is boring, obvious and easy and still manages not to happen painfully often in an unbalanced way. Women are now officially full, combat-ready soldiers in America after ages of doing the requisite jobs despite not officially being front-line combatants ... but this is an industry where I would have been unsurprised to see a Call of Duty game released without female soldiers even in that context. It's a shame ... but just having a franchise this big not make stupid, obvious mistakes along gender lines is kind of refreshing.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 15-08-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Just a usual response to the same move of its main competitor: Battlefield 4. If you would recall, the first story trailer of BF4 ends with a sweet sound, "You'll back me up, right?" (Of course I WILL, FOR AMERICA!!!)

Don't see anything really special from player's point of view. I play Planetside 2 and there are many players using female characters. I feel nothing special and still aim at them depending on their uniforms. Not same team, shoot. Same team...... depends. If that working day happen to be not that pleasant, I may shoot (because only kinda fire more accurate than enemy fire is friendly fire :p). I dont care if the characters are male or female. Most players controlling them are mostly male anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Now the bigger news would be that 1/3 the way into Ghosts the main character you control is a female for the rest of the game...yah won't see that happen anytime soon.
    Actually I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Not for the most of the game, obviously, but for a level or two. Spending hundreds of thousands on motion capture just for few different models in multiplayer seems kind of a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring
    This is a very popular franchise in an industry that pretends female gamers don't exist
    Why? Because it represents special forces operatives as almost exclusively male? Here's a shocker: special forces operatives are almost exclusively male.

And how would you even make modern Call of Duty games more "female-oriented"? I am genuinely curious.
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 15-08-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Why? Because it represents special forces operatives as almost exclusively male? Here's a shocker: special forces operatives are almost exclusively male.

And how would you even make modern Call of Duty games more "female-oriented"? I am genuinely curious.
    Er ... I said the industry pretends women don't exist. I meant this in the sense that major industry figures say that women aren't interested in video games. Or that female protagonists won't sell. I'm fairly sure I mentioned both things in my post.

I'm also not interested in making any specific game "more 'female oriented.'" I didn't use that phrase or intend to invoke it's meaning implicitly, so I'm not sure why you brought it up.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0