Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Gamefly has sold it's digital download business

Some of you may remember that it was once 'Direct2Drive' - some of you will have had to kick-and-punch to get games bought from D2D to work with Gamefly - well it's happening again!

Gamefly have sold their online DD store to a company called AtGames

Wow - you're thinking - this is probably a leading-edge Internet company ready to take on Steam!?

Check their website

http://www.atgames.net/

It's like 1999 never ended ;0

Batten down the hatches - who knows what's coming next!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh God that website. Cannot stop laughing. I dunno about "batten down the hatches" - I think they're surely just dead at this point, effectively. Then again, that's easy for me to say; I only ever bought a couple of games on D2D and long since abandoned them. Who knows, I guess.

Meet the new boss, same as the old one.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Check their website

http://www.atgames.net/
    That has to be a joke right? Their EStore is http://www.atgames.us/ not even the same address!

The digital link does go to gamefly though :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I got BioShock 1 and civ4 pack from them.

But after I downloaded them from d2d I went back to their new site twice. Once to check whether my games where still on my account and second time to download colonization.
    Never even considered buying from them again.

Shame what happened to d2d. In the beginning it felt like a true competitor to steam. It was butchered by managers who had no idea wtf they were doing.
    Gamersgate is next I guess.
    And what happened to impulse ....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I've had to pirate all the games I bought off D2D to get them working. Pretty much any site called "game[x]" can piss off. Aside from all being crap, how the hell am I supposed to remember which one is which?

That homepage though... oof. Baffling really, since once you click on one of the links the sites it goes to are relatively okay.

That's why I only buy games from third-party sites that give me a Steam or Origin key. Unless of course the game in question is DRM free and I can make a backup.

I suppose they couldn't make Gamefly worse, right?
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Meet the new boss, same as the old one.
    Except now you'll need to fly to China to visit the new boss.

"About Us: AtGamesŪ develops innovative interactive entertainment products for worldwide distribution. Founded in 2001 by veterans in digital media and information technology industries, AtGamesŪ sells products in the North America, Latin America, Europe, C.I.S., Australia, and Asia."

Innovative products like:

Atari Flashback 4 Classic Game Console - relive the days of the 2600 with 75 inbuilt games
    The SEGA Genesis Classic - a classic video game console with 40 built-in 16-bit SEGA Games plus 40 bonus games. Compatible with Genesis cartridges* (*except where it isn't)
    The Arcade Ultimate - a stylish handheld video game player loaded with 15 built-in 16-bit SEGA Mega Drive games.

I'm obviously a bit odd, looking for something a bit more innovative in my gaming products.
    Last edited by Thermal Ions; 24-08-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's lucky I never replay games, or I might be concerned about my copy of Bioshock that is being passed around from company to (probably worse) company.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
    Except now you'll need to fly to China to visit the new boss.

I'm obviously a bit odd, looking for something a bit more innovative in my gaming products.
    I honestly struggle to find a fuck to give about which country any given digital distro company operates out of. Same with them having a business selling old consoles. They could sell vibrators on the side for all I care.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gamefly was been the source of some decently cheap Steam keys of late - I can't see that continuing tho.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I sortof want one of those consoles. Connect it to 55inch full HD TV invite few guts and play done old school mp games.
    I really want one

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are Sega-like consoles like those in every bargain chainstore in the world - esp around Christmas etc. etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmmm... I had a key I transferred to Steam... think I had a something something key too. But I'm not risking the new client without knowing what on earth is going on.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Gamefly was been the source of some decently cheap Steam keys of late - I can't see that continuing tho.
    Nothing that hasn't been elsewhere a few days either side though.

I still suspect that the moment Steam let developers set their own prices, the jig was sort of up for most of the other stores. The only thing they really had was "offering slightly lower prices than Steam" and when that went to the wall...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh I think there's still plenty of 'cheaper deals' than Steam - many developers even run sales outside team (e.g. through Humble or other stores) which they don't reflect on Steam - even tho they could.

GreenMan continues to tease people with discount codes and other trinkets - Gamersgate throws the odd bargain too.

To me, there are signs that Steam's "cut" is too high - it was fine when they were returning developers BIG sales but those days are gone so they might need to rethink their percentages if they don't want developers aggressively pushing people away from Steam (not that it works if the Eidolon article is anything to go by)

Every competitor lost will be fewer discounts overall tho...

Oh yeah, but the majority of the "best" deals are either on Steam or replicated there within no time. There isn't the numbers elsewhere to warrant deep discounts *without* discounting on Steam (and discounting bundles, it's maybe a few pence here and there difference if the deal is "better" now).

What I'm really getting at though is that the stores had all become little more than places that sold Steam keys and whilst they could whack the price down on their keys faster than anyone on Steam could, they had a nice little sideline which did them well for a few years. That's not happening so much now. It's pretty much Hundle vs GoG vs Steam, or rather all three of those sitting in a tree K I S S I N G with a vague handwave to competition because there's good reason to use any of those 3, Gamersgate, Gamefly and Greenmangaming don't have much left to offer anymore other than deals. I give the other two a year or so at the outside if they don't shift things round a bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In fairness, Humble is just "selling keys" too - it's image as a dev-friendly store probably helps but it's indistinguishable from Gamersgate or GMG in terms of what it does at it's core (see also itch.io and the bundle stores - and indeed, most of the bundles!!)

I did find the idea that Eidolon's developers even encouraged people to buy from Humble ON THEIR STEAM STORE PAGE! rather odd - and the fact people seemed to ignore them quite depressing...

Network Hub
    In fairness, Humble is just "selling keys" too - it's image as a dev-friendly store probably helps but it's indistinguishable from Gamersgate or GMG in terms of what it does at it's core (see also itch.io and the bundle stores - and indeed, most of the bundles!!)

I did find the idea that Eidolon's developers even encouraged people to buy from Humble ON THEIR STEAM STORE PAGE! rather odd - and the fact people seemed to ignore them quite depressing...
    Compared to GMG and Gamersgate though, there's a chance that Humble will give you both a DRM-free download and a Steam key.