Obscure Node

Arma 3 is a completely different game when played in a MilSim group.

I've played the series for a while but only recently joined a tactically serious community. If you haven't experienced a session with 40+ like-minded players I really recommend it. Definitely one of the more unique experiences one can have on a PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Not exactly milsim, but the firm RPS roots in Folk ARPS make that group really enjoyable for some awesome co op and PVP shenanigans.

Activated Node
    I was going to watch it, but the absolutely atrocious noise someone probably calls music made it unwatchable for me.
    "A thousand years from now, a dim-witted human barbarian will climb to the top of a pile of bones, sit down and proclaim: I win."

Do you recommend serious milsim for people who share my affliction of having extreme trouble spotting any enemies in ArmA?

Spotting enemies in real life is tough, too. It's not a deficiency, just takes practice.

Fall into line and fall those videogame orders, Harlander, you'd do just fine. That's the most important part of a milsim environment: being down with following orders without acting like an asshat.

There are many ArmA 3 milsim communities: Shack Tactical, 24th MEU, Tactical Gamer... those are the ones I can think of.

I was heavily involved with ArmA 2 on Tactical Gamer about six years ago (even shouldering some non-game duties and becoming an Admin), but all these guys are generally great to play with.

As a filthy casual, I can vouch for the Folk/ARPS guys. The few (all too few!) times I have had the opportunity to join them have been absolutely splendid (even though I never managed to get a working microphone!). Of course, it helps that I've played the original Operation Flashpoint and Arma2 and -3, so I'm somewhat familiar with the concepts, but even so I believe there's no need to worry about it getting too "serious"!

Obscure Node
    I agree with you guys! The title was more of a joke than anything else. (Which should be obvious after watching the video.) I don't believe the game would be fun if everyone took things completely seriously. Bottom line, anyone who hasn't played Arma with an organized group needs to. Period.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The very moment helicopters in Arma are not powered by moon magic I'll buy into the series. Battlefield 2 mod project reality did it better which is ridiculous.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Not exactly milsim, but the firm RPS roots in Folk ARPS make that group really enjoyable for some awesome co op and PVP shenanigans.
    Bourbon Warfare are about as serious (or not) as we at Folk ARPS are. Calling them "serious milsim" is a bit of a stretch though they def. share the beard-obsession with real life operators.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Do you recommend serious milsim for people who share my affliction of having extreme trouble spotting any enemies in ArmA?
    Absolutely. If anything serious milsim is more forgiving of the required skills of a twitch shooter because its more about team work and positioning and working together. You still need to be able to see things, but you get a lot of help from others. Tracer bullets are god's gift to the blind and the concept of "suppressing fire" is such that as long as you know generally where you need to shoot you can still be doing your job. If you're shit at shooting you can still help by being a medic or maybe a crewmember or a pilot or taking on a leadership role. You can be a brilliant leader and a crummy shot if you know how to guide and rely on others.

Realistic tactical infantry gaming is so unique its hard to explain it fully without writing an essay. Your best bet is to find a good community that has your preferred level of seriousness (you can rate everything from no ranks, no formations, nothing but open form coordination to full on totally stupid ranks and OCS and "officer on deck" level garbage with fixed units and hierarchies, though most happen to be in between somewhere) and just see how it goes.

The thing about arma milsim is that the vast majority of units want you to learn, want you to have a good time, and are more interested in your attitude and you personality than your skill. You can learn skill, you can't really learn to not be a dick. Even if you dont' get kills just being along for the ride with a good unit on a good mission is an experience.

Arma, the only game I play where I don't do much to help win, don't do much in the way of succeeding or "winning" and have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The very moment helicopters in Arma are not powered by moon magic I'll buy into the series. Battlefield 2 mod project reality did it better which is ridiculous.
    I heard that within the Helicopter DLC they just added Vortex Ring State so... I don't think moon magic stands a chance if you're a crummy pilot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The beta release of the DLC hadn't, but we'll see.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Well my friend who is a complete helicopter freak, as in he flies the DCS Black Shark like a pro, complains about how crummy Arma helo physics is, was pretty happy about that bit of news.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Bourbon Warfare are about as serious (or not) as we at Folk ARPS are. Calling them "serious milsim" is a bit of a stretch though they def. share the beard-obsession with real life operators.
    My mistake of not watching the trailer before posting :P - but the obligatory Folk ARPS mentions shall remain! for the party and all that jazz

Activated Node
    wow that was some really terrible music.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    My mistake of not watching the trailer before posting :P - but the obligatory Folk ARPS mentions shall remain! for the party and all that jazz
    Of course. But the party also loves diversity and there's been a long standing cooperation between the science departments of Bourbon Warfare and Folk ARPS. Only reactioniary forces would claim that there's any animosity between us.

ANYWAY. OP might have a terrible taste in music but he is right that ARMA is FUN. And you should play it with PEOPLE, ideally in an organized GROUP. Everything else, from use of mods to how military-like you want your vidja, boils down to your individual taste and no one will judge you. ARMA's pretty much the swinger club of videogames.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 27-10-2014 at 01:29 PM.