Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

Warlock 2 MP question

So Warlock 1 wasn't bad, but the MP was awful. Not only was there no simultaneous turn option, you couldn't even look over your empire while waiting for other players as you were locked out of the UI. Does anyone around here have Warlock 2 and, if so, is this the case in the sequel as well?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I have the sequel but haven't tried multiplayer yet. I'll give it a shot online when I get home and report back.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Much appreciated! I can't seem to find anything about this, despite doing a fair bit of digging around.

I wasn't able to get into a game last night as there weren't many players on. The lobby browser showed twenty two people and nine in-progress games, but with no open games listed I assumed all of those people were already playing. I'll try again over the weekend.

Hmm, fair enough. Again, I really appreciate your efforts to look into this!

From a dev in the Steam forums: "Could you expand on the problem please? Because we do have semi simultaneus turns. You can build, research and upgrade your units during the opponents turns. "

http://steamcommunity.com/app/205990...1364411335406/
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    From a dev in the Steam forums: "Could you expand on the problem please? Because we do have semi simultaneus turns. You can build, research and upgrade your units during the opponents turns. "

http://steamcommunity.com/app/205990...1364411335406/
    Nice find, thanks. The last comment in that thread is less than encouraging, though:

If you play with friend in ally or any AI in ally, so basiclly you won't able to do anything if it's not your turn. If you want to build or do anythig else and your ally moves, your view just jump into another world part and that's it. Untill your turn you won't be able to do anything, unless ofc you don't make ANY allies in game.
    Sounds like it allows some simultaneous action in principle but isn't designed to accommodate it very well in practice.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I watched Total Biscuits video review of this the other day and followed it up with a glance of his Reddit (he has disabled comments on his Youtube videos, so it is the only place you can see them.) It wasn't mentioned in the review, but one comment did say:

"Multiplayer, which was already pretty steamlined in Warlock 1, is even better now. Turns are quasi-simultaneous, so there is little to no down time. After you end your turn, you can do all your empire management, research, construction, recruitment, etc., whilst waiting for other players to move. The only things you can't do when it isn't your turn is move units and combat. So it is nearly constant action in multiplayer, which is quite the accomplishment for a turn based game." http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/...exiled/cgpkxa4

So, definitely sounds like there isn't too much downtime, particularly if you are playing with people you know.

Still yet to actually play the original game, which I got in a bundle. Will have to correct that.

edit: and sounds as if you have picked up more info than I had. Has there ever been a turn based 4x game that has gotten multiplayer right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post

edit: and sounds as if you have picked up more info than I had. Has there ever been a turn based 4x game that has gotten multiplayer right?
    Civ and AoW have both had good simultaneous turn systems since way back when. Strictly turn based games really work best with PBEM, and lots of them have that feature. Warlock's problem is that it wants to avoid simultaneous turns but oddly refuses to have a PBEM feature. There's really no good middle ground.

Ok, I've played MP and here's what I found:

Things you can do when it is not your turn

• look around map
    • queue spell research
    • queue unit production
    • queue building production
    • see allies' movement - I recommend turning this off in options as it moves your view away from whatever you are doing when allies move, which is pretty annoying
    • view diplomatic relations
    • view cities
    • view unit stats
    • view world stats page
    • queue spell to cast
    • view quests

Things you cannot do when it is not your turn

• move units
    • attack
    • cast spells (queue only)

For what it's worth, the friend I played with loved it (didn't play first game) and will talk another into purchasing. If you ever want a game let me know, I'm down for playing.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Fumarole; 13-04-2014 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Ok, I've played MP and here's what I found:

Things you can do when it is not your turn

• look around map
    • queue spell research
    • queue unit production
    • queue building production
    • see allies' movement - I recommend turning this off in options as it moves your view away from whatever you are doing when allies move, which is pretty annoying
    • view diplomatic relations
    • view cities
    • view unit stats
    • view world stats page
    • queue spell to cast
    • view quests

Things you cannot do when it is not your turn

• move units
    • attack
    • cast spells (queue only)

For what it's worth, the friend I played with loved it (didn't play first game) and will talk another into purchasing. If you ever want a game let me know, I'm down for playing.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks!

I don't suppose you played with an ally, so as to confirm/deny the complaint I quoted above?

I did play with an ally. The part you quoted is correct in that you'll view your ally's actions by default. However, after a few turns I went into the options and changed this. Once that was done I had the whole three minutes worth of my ally's turn to peruse my units and do the things listed above. If you don't change the default option you can still do them, it's just that when your ally moves your view jumps to observe their unit, making it difficult for you to do anything.

I had no trouble playing with a friend and will definitely do so again. If there's any complaint I have it's that it would be nice for there to be an audio alert when it is your turn, so if you're multitasking you won't lose any time.

Check the option shown below and you don't have to worry about that problem.

Last edited by Fumarole; 13-04-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Beautiful, thanks again for looking into this!