Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Anyone else had fun with Guacamelee?

The game went completely under my radar but as I quite like the genre I bought it on a hunch. Finished it after about 5 hours and I'll probably go back to explore a bit more. The art style's quite the charmer and works well with the music but I'm not sure about the humor, specifically the amount they refer to memes/internet culture or just cite and reference other games.

It might be just me but it why are indie games so eager to use cite? Last I can remember is Dust - Trails of Elesium, though it did it in a far less in-your-face like style (the harder to reach secrets were cages that upon opening released a character from a different game, e.g. super meat boy).

Speaking of which, the combat in Guacamelee is a lot clunkier than in Dust, which isn't a bad thing. I found it requires a lot more timing and precision, where Dust's combat was more spamm-y and button mashing, at least at higher levels. The dodge covers a very small area and can't really be chained, thus building high combos feels more rewarding as a result (though is hardly necessary, apart from in a few of the optional challenges).

So yeah, I liked it quite a bit. Have yet to try the Blob game that came with it. But it reminds me a bit too much of Gish from the looks of it.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 12-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.

I loved Guacamelee. Its short but it feels near perfect to me, the controls are tight, the combat is fun, it looks beautiful and is animated gorgeously. The feel of it is so bright and joyful and it is very funny, not so much because of the references, but the way the characters move and look.

The little I played of Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack was very positive too. Its more straightforward than Gish, but its made with a similar quality to the new game. Definitely worth picking it up while it is packed in with Guacamelee.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Does it have local coop?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Does it have local coop?
    It does. 2 player.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

I just finished the tree top platforming part. I need to lay down now.

I'm playing it right now and yeah, it's pretty darn awesome. I wish they went with a less conventional storyline but the colorful world and characters make up for it. The controls feel really responsive and satisfying to use. It's the perfect example of a fun, beautiful and careless game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    5 hours? I just lost interest on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ** I don't really have anything productive to say (comment deleted)**
    Last edited by Tei; 14-08-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    It's fairly high on my to buy list, but that doesn't take place until I clear a fair chunk off my backlog.

Love the art style and setting though so it certainly has my interest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm really tempted - I need some Metroidyness - and the free Mutant Blobs game offer expires tomorrow

BUT

2 things deter me

1 - lots and lots of memes - you can easily overdo that sort of thing and I see Reddit memes :(
    2 - so many other games I should be playing :)(

I would say to point 1 that it honestly never bothered me... Though to be honest, I'm not the sort of person it would bother. It never intrudes on the game though, the references are all in the background, the humor for me came from a more legitimate place than that as I said before.

Plus it would be a shame to not play such a fun game as this for that reason. It really great, and Mutant Blobs is nearly as good.

the references don't annoy me at all, it's just a bit of humor in the background, nothing that could ruin anyone's playthrough imo. besides, they are just in the towns aka non-fighting sections, and you'll spend most of your time jumping around and fighting in meme-free environments.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I did notice Les Super Hermanos and I only know what Hermanos means (Brothers) from the Breaking Bad - otherwise I'd - well - I'd have guessed anyway (2 italian-looking guys - one red, one green).

I guess I'll take it as a crash course in culturally recent Mexican... ;)

Spanish?
    mexican isn't a language

Mexican Spanish is a dialect, and if you were to go to mexico it would be more appropriate to study that than regular spanish. Also, no need to be so nitpicky, we all know what he meant.

Also I'm finishing Guacamelee atm and the difficulty has ramped up significantly in the last third of the game. Both the platforming sections and the boss fights are difficult in a slightly unfair way. Nothing game-breaking, but frustrating nonetheless.
    Last edited by SirDavies; 15-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Get the 10 Silver Medals costume. It helps a lot and made all boss fights (apart from the very last) a lot easier.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well I dived in and there's much which is lovely and good - but there are some slight downsides.

When the combat gets busy, you will often lose-out to what amounts to poor design. It's crucial you see when an enemy is about to attack (so you can dodge) but the 2d enemies stack on-top of each other and you literally can't see the smaller one behind the larger one which - when it's really busy - is all the time.

That then gets worse as you're knocked down and the others all get a free hit - if there's a big semi-boss there, you're fucked.

I have a feeling - and I'm only an-hour-or-so in so it might change - but the combat really needed another round of polish, it varies from 'piss easy' to 'frankly unfairly hard and random' - there's a lovely system in there but it's just a bit scattershot - at least what I've seen of it.

Then there's the platforming which is clever but frequently out-clevers itself just a bit. The dimension-shifting stuff can get VERY head bending, at least you don't seem to have limited lives/anything to replay whilst you're figuring it all out. It is just a bit shirty about transitions tho - timing is crucial and fiddly at times (the 'hop' is a good example of this).

Lastly comes the standard disclaimer that this is really asking too much of the XBOX controller, some of the combos are almost impossible to pull-off because it's SO DAMN PICKY about whether you pressed 'up' or 'left up' or 'right up' - this is where a PROPER DPad is required - or a keyboard (but I hate platformers played on a keyboard).

I'm gonna have to get either a joystick or maybe an F310 - I need a new wired pad anyway and I still have the wireless 360 pad for games where big analog triggers are better...

p.s. don't want this to sound too negative - it has some lovely ideas and I'm smiling more than I'm frowning but it does need a 'may cause you to throw your controller' warning - moreso than, say, Super House of Dead Ninjas or SMB perhaps...
    Last edited by trjp; 16-08-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    Also, no need to be so nitpicky, we all know what he meant.
    I understand. It's just that around here I'm used to seeing it used pejoratively. (example- "what did she say?" "I don't know, she was speaking Meskin")

If you're in Spain you probably don't see it that way, which is good. I'm not all for being politically correct, but I like to correct unintended pejoratives.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well I made it to the fight against Xta'ca or whatever she's called - and the entire game can go and fuck itself at that point.

Seriously...

That was the second most difficult boss fight for me, the others are a cake walk compared it. At the end it's just a matter of learning the tells and dodging in time but that's a lot easier said than done.

When the combat gets busy, you will often lose-out to what amounts to poor design. It's crucial you see when an enemy is about to attack (so you can dodge) but the 2d enemies stack on-top of each other and you literally can't see the smaller one behind the larger one which - when it's really busy - is all the time.
    I agree, it's especially bad when projectiles come into play. The red skeletons have ruined my flow so many times it's not even funny. On the upside it makes the combat feel more rewarding if you manage to stack a high combo or dominate an arena.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 17-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.