Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar

Bugs - Amsuing, useful and sometimes downright traumatic

This lovely article on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...he-perfect-bug) has got me thinking about bugs. It immediately brought to my mind the bug that most amused me; but as the article covers sometimes bugs are the very opposite of entertaining. Then again they can be downright useful too. So I'd be interested to hear the most entertaining, useful and traumatic bugs you've encountered while gaming (lets keep away from cheat codes and exploits that require console jiggery pokery). Here's mine:

Entertaining: In UNATCO in the original Deus Ex for some reason one of the cleaning bots can become treated as a hostile by a UNATCO trooper (don't know whether it was random or I'd triggered it), eventually he caught someone else in the crossfire and from there things snowballed. With everybody at that stage of the game (JC excluded) being invincible the anarchy soon spread throughout the facility, Janice Reed attempting to pepper spray all and sundry even Manderley getting involved in the chaos.

Found a clip on Youtube of someone engineering it but it was a lot more fun to play (and observe without expecting) than it is to watch (things properly kick off about 2 min in).

http://<a href="https://www.youtube....mZE8ozyg-k</a>

Useful: GTA III was one of the few games I completed 100 % but I definitely bended the rules by using a bug to help with the Vigilante missions. One of my friends had shown me that on the Playstation version you could pause the game when the criminals car was in sight and they would subsequently jump out of the car making them an easy target to face squishy vehicular justice at the wheels of the players stolen cop car. Fortuitously this bug made its way over to the PC version, making what could have eventually become tedious an exercise in simplicity (the extra police bribes at the hideout thus obtained were probably essential for someone cack handed like me to complete the game, seeing as they provided easy access to tanks).

Traumatic: Little Big Adventure 2 was the first game I ever completed but I had to play the whole thing twice thanks to a show stopping bug at the end of the game. I'd got stuck on a simplistic puzzle which should have allowed access to the next area and instead found an alternate solution by a finicky bit of platforming (which didn't feel out of place given the finicky nature of platforming throughout the game!) over the scenery. Unfortunately this placed a cutscene out of order which the game didn't like one bit, causing it to hang and alas my paranoid constant saving meant I had no game to go back to. I even remember phoning the helpline to try and figure out what was going on (probably tearfully, I was a sensitive soul and I can't imagine my folks would have let me phone a no doubt premium rate phone number for a mere game without some resistance!) but alas I couldn't be helped. Fortunately it's a brilliant game and playing it again was no chore and victory was eventually mine. I did learn an important lesson about what some would dismiss as "save scumming," not so much to avoid it but to make damn sure you have lots of saves in different slots or files rather than using the same one, just in case something bad happens! Some of the save counts I have racked up in the past would cause hardened gamers to roll their eyes in disdain.

So what're your guys experience with bugs? Don't feel constrained by the categories I've suggested if you've got something else to talk about then do so!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I just bought Goat Simulator (o_O) and one of the quests is for staying airborne a certain length of time. I don't know how long or difficult that challenge was, because a few minutes into the game my goat got stuck in a roof (just half a goat stickin' up out of the root, flailing around) and the game thought I was still falling. So I easily obtained the expert-mode version of that achievement. ^_^ So, entertaining and kind of useful, but also kind of robbing me of the need to do it properly, and the subsequent satisfaction? =P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I suppose this is one for the Traumatic category:

One bug that I for some reason still remember some 18-20 years after I ran into it was in the Amiga version of Arnhem: The Market Garden Operation. The grand campaign had a bug that would crash the game on the last turn before you won (it took ages to play that far and it was very difficult to win), while it would work fine if you were losing.
    I think it's a kind of 'the one that got away' feeling because I never got to see the victory screen (I had my suspicions that the game didn't actually have one because you weren't supposed to be able to win).

Network Hub
    Vaguely traumatic, though not really a bug: Years ago, playing Far Cry 1 on my old pc. At a certain point, the world started to look all green and purple in a weird way. It dawned on me that the gfx card was burnt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I believe this is probably the most impressive glitch ever

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If I can also bring-up consoles - I was watching a video recently where someone was playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on XBOX and they complained of the game freezing/losing a load of progress around the "there you go, ball of poo" bit of the game.

This made me laugh because that happened to me - same place, same loss of gameplay - but on the original N64 version.

I've since found references to people who hit it using Dolphin (N64 emulator on PC) too - That's one WELL travelled bug.

Network Hub
    Wow, the Jackdaw bug is mighty impressive. Taken from the YT comments, though, here's some glitchy major nightmare fuel: http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-co...IFA_glitch.gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    That was beautiful.

Seems an obvious one to mention, but Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they have all the glitch genres you could possibly want. I will never forget the time I was exploring the southwest corner of the map - I think it's Girdershade - in Fallout 3 and came across a Deathclaw that first fired at me - yes - with a minigun-style attack originating from its mouth, and then when it got close enough to attack me, just before its first swipe landed... It took off. It levitated until it looped back around and got stuck in the ground. I killed it, searched its corpse and guess what? It had a minigun.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Wow, the Jackdaw bug is mighty impressive. Taken from the YT comments, though, here's some glitchy major nightmare fuel: http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-co...IFA_glitch.gif
    Jesus Christ, that's horrifying! Just look at his eyes, he looks genuinely terrified! I haven't seen that realistic expressions in movies.

EDIT: And yes, the Jackdaw bug was impressive. And no, I don't really have anything to add.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Little Big Adventure 2 was a weird game. I played it a lot as a kid and didn't really understand what I was doing, but there were all sorts of ways to go places you shouldn't and break the story sequence.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Incoming Carpenter film in 3 ... 2 ...
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Not found:I

I' d post some hitman bug from motdef's channel but i'm like hammering the phone keys

There's a typo in the title. I am suing you for this.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I get the feeling that they wouldn't even have patched that out if it happened during playtesting.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

That was fun to watch :D

Most of the bugs/glitches I encountered where during boss battles in shooter titles. There was often some corner in the final arena where the boss couldn't hit me, but I could fire on them, cowardly chipping away their health. One example was the fight against Metal Gear in Metal Gear Solid (the PC version). It felt great to beat it anyway and not so much like cheating because there were a lot more tense scenes before.
    Last edited by Ernesto; 11-04-2014 at 09:05 AM.

I was cruising around with a friend in saints row the third when suddenly... PINBALL MODE! My car started to crash against the ground getting higher and higher. We ended flying around for a few minutes until the car got tired and returned to the ground.

I think the bug that has made me feel the most sad is the levitating mammoths in Skyrim. Seeing them float up into the air before suddenly plunging to their deaths is probably the most profound statement on the futility of life I've ever seen in the form of a game bug.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That reminds me of this scary thing

http://d1mxyp5ceukbya.cloudfront.net...ergara-gif.gif

One useful bug is hammering half life 2 people in the head with any object to get things faster.

btw
    Last edited by Wenz; 14-04-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    One useful bug is hammering half life 2 people in the head with any object to get things faster.
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    AND IN THE GAME.
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?