Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

David Attenborough is filming a 360 3D documentary for Oculus Rift

Not much is known about it, except that it's split in two 90 minutes parts and one of the filming locations is Borneo. Will be ready in late 2014.

This is more exciting than gaming for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    THE FUTURE IS COMING AND IT'S GOING TO BLOW YOUR SOCKS OFF.

Not sure how you would film in 360 degrees and 3D though, seems like the need for two camera positions would render 360 field of vision impossible. Please do correct me if that's wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post

Not sure how you would film in 360 degrees and 3D though, seems like the need for two camera positions would render 360 field of vision impossible. Please do correct me if that's wrong.
    Naw, but you'd need a piece of tech that recorded from a floating point of perspectives, maybe a helix of surgery grade fibre optic cameras.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I image you mount a ring of 3D cameras 'around' the camera operator (likely a stationary/motorised rig of some sort) and sort everything-else out digitally, later.

It means everyone else has to be WAY the fuck out of sight, of course - it's also quite pointless for most applications (generally, documentaries focus on the interesting things rather than letting you take a look around here/there/everywhere trying to GUESS what's interesting).

In particular here - a doc with a well known doc maker that allows you to not look at him - is just bizarre, surely??

3D is a gimmick - OR is a gimmick - do 2 gimmicks cancel each-other-out?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah yeah, a ring of cameras and stitching the images together makes sense. It's an amazing idea though, imagine being able to look around from inside a jungle. Or under an iceberg. Although this one sounds like it's about the sky...

Ah yeah, a ring of cameras and stitching the images together makes sense. It's an amazing idea though, imagine being able to look around from inside a jungle. Or under an iceberg. Although this one sounds like it's about the sky...
    there have to be 360 degree cameras slightly set apart from each other in order to get a 3D effect. Doing it manually is shit and will destroy lives.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    3D is shit and has destroyed lives - seriously, it's shit.

I also suspect that they're not aiming for 'actual 360' here - I suspect they're aiming for a bit of "user changeable depth and angle".

As I said above - a documentary where someone is showing you amazing things and you're looking the other way is the ultimate thing for milennials to create...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    a documentary where someone is showing you amazing things and you're looking the other way is the ultimate thing for milennials to create...
    Time to get Valve involved...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams is a documentary where 3D was essential. The shape of the cave walls and the lighting fluctuations were taken into account by primitive painters. They add depth and shape to the paintings. As the light moves around it's as if the images are animated. Don't even bother watching that in 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams is a documentary where 3D was essential. The shape of the cave walls and the lighting fluctuations were taken into account by primitive painters. They add depth and shape to the paintings. As the light moves around it's as if the images are animated. Don't even bother watching that in 2D.
    Good luck watching that on any cinema. Not to mention now, 4 years later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    wouldn't a set of two cameras rotating at 100 rps recording at 2400 fps create a stable 3d 360 image?

That would cause two adjacent images to be oriented at a divergent angle, when 3D requires that the two cameras are oriented parallel at least, and usually convergent.

This does sound rather gimmicky, but I could see it working as a cinema lobby attraction. I've been to a few of those panoramic theaters, and it always bothered me that I was physically unable to see everything on the screen when, well, that's what you're paying for! The filmmakers should be the ones deciding what's interesting enough to show on the screen, that's what they're good at.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That would cause two adjacent images to be oriented at a divergent angle, when 3D requires that the two cameras are oriented parallel at least, and usually convergent.
    In my question I assumed they are mounted in parallel fashion.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    A little hyperbolic there aren't we? I'm not a fan of 3D cinema, but I can certainly see the potential with this. One of the key issues with 3D cinema is the effect being confined to the borders of the screen. There is no such issue with the Rift.

Sure, this is a bit of gimmick, but it is still a very cool one. I could see this being incredible if combined with the theatre, allowing you to be up close and personal with a production whilst sitting at home.

I also suspect that they're not aiming for 'actual 360' here - I suspect they're aiming for a bit of "user changeable depth and angle".
    360 degree video is doable actually, check this out: http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives...deo/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    In my question I assumed they are mounted in parallel fashion.
    Oh right, I missed the bit about there being two. But in that case you'd probably rather want a set of mulitple pairs of cameras arranged in a ring instead of something that rotates really fast. And you might not be able to record at more than one depth either.

If peter jackson can have 36 RED cams to record 3D simultaneously for The Hobbit, Attenborough can have two whatever cams (alexa? some special 360 cam?) to do 360 3D.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

The article says it's an eight-camera rig. It's not rocket science.
    Here's a 360 degrees music video.

Ah so theyre cheating a bit. Fish eye and whatnot.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    wouldn't a set of two cameras rotating at 100 rps recording at 2400 fps create a stable 3d 360 image?
    A 2400fps camera rotating at 100fps? Nearly 2 revolutions per second?
    The insurance alone would bankrupt them.