Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar

Age of Wonders 3 slated for autumn 2013

steam

YES. YES. YES.

Holy crap. That was... unexpected.

Doing Steam and GOG releases, too. Wonder if they'll leave in hotseat/LAN options or if that's too 2003.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Am I the the only one who wanted Overlord 3? Tbh, I hope AoW3 learns something from overlord and has a more personal approach than the older games. I don't want a bloated grindy campaign, an overwrought multiplayer or "civ: but with magic".

Yes, fussy fussy fussy.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Oh wow, I didn't think there would ever be another AoW. Wonder how it will compare to AoW2:SM

I just hope there's a bigger variety of ridiculous monsters, because that was always my favourite part of the first 2.5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    I just hope there's a bigger variety of ridiculous monsters, because that was always my favourite part of the first 2.5 games.
    It's only a day one purchase if there will be dire penguins again.

to wound the autumnal city.

I came buckets

Can I burn the world? Then freeze it. Then kill it. Then bring it to life again?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm skeptical that Triumph can produce something that lives up to the name. I wish them luck, of course, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Graphics are quite meh and look like a run-of-the-mill RTS game. But otherwise, I'm excited. I've sent them a mail asking if they're hiring Rob King and Paul Anthony Romero now that they stopped making music for the shipwreck that is Heroes of Might and Magic.

EDIT: no :(

Hi Borsuk, thanks for your kind words and your offer but we already got
    some excellent music and audio people signed up for the project.

Best Regards,
    Lennart / Triumph
    Can't say I'm surprised.
    pass

^Video is both German and English, and worth watching.

Sehr gut!

I still wish it didn't look so much like a fantasy Civ5 mod, but I'll get over it. That zoomed out map...feelsgoodman.jpg
    steam

I'm sure I've been more excited for a game before, but I cant remember it.

http://ageofwonders.com/classes/archdruid/

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...zrcPkwjSmynye3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Anyone playing AoW 3 then? My Steam friends list (a decent amount of whom are from RPS) suggests so!

I'm rather enjoying it and made decent headway in the Elf campaign, but I think I'll be heading for the freedom of Random maps and maybe trying out some multi-player soon.

The first patch has just been released: Patch notes and they seem good enough, nerfing the Smite shrine stacking and fixing the annoying instant loss if a critical unit gets charmed in the campaign.

How's everyone else finding it, any good strategies or fun leader/race combos?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I am on the fence about this game, would like some help.

I'm a really big fan of Warcraft and I dig the entire fantasy outlook.

I usually get turned off by Civilization though, with the long turn times.

But this game also looks very deep and interesting, also love the art and graphics.

Would this game be alright for me? I do not play many 4x games, but I really like the look of this one and I like strategy games in general. I am just worried I will get frustrated if playing the game is as tedious as mid-game or late-game Civilization V.

It looks much more interesting than Civ for me though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Anyone playing AoW 3 then? My Steam friends list (a decent amount of whom are from RPS) suggests so!

I'm rather enjoying it and made decent headway in the Elf campaign, but I think I'll be heading for the freedom of Random maps and maybe trying out some multi-player soon.

The first patch has just been released: Patch notes and they seem good enough, nerfing the Smite shrine stacking and fixing the annoying instant loss if a critical unit gets charmed in the campaign.

How's everyone else finding it, any good strategies or fun leader/race combos?
    At the moment, I'm just playing through the elf campaign. It's kind of the first game of its specific ilk I've played, so I'm still learning the ropes. Enjoying it a lot though, sweeping all before me with my army of fairies.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    I am on the fence about this game, would like some help.

I'm a really big fan of Warcraft and I dig the entire fantasy outlook.

I usually get turned off by Civilization though, with the long turn times.

But this game also looks very deep and interesting, also love the art and graphics.

Would this game be alright for me? I do not play many 4x games, but I really like the look of this one and I like strategy games in general. I am just worried I will get frustrated if playing the game is as tedious as mid-game or late-game Civilization V.

It looks much more interesting than Civ for me though.
    It's more Heroes of Might and Magic than Civ, at least thus far (halfway into the second campaign mission). It's way more combat-focused that Civ, and there's a lot less outside of combat to deal with. City building is more traditional RTS than Civ -- there's probably only 20 or so buildings, half being very simple utility buildings and half unlocking unit production.

The combat system is arguably the meat of the game -- it's probably where you'll be spending most of your time. It can be a little micromanagement-y sometimes, I feel, especially in the bigger fights where you might have 20+ units to move per turn, but it's pretty fun regardless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I’ve been really enjoying it thus far but the AI high tier stacking has slowed my enthusiasm a tad, so here's hoping they fixed that. Began with the Commonwealth campaign and have reached map 6