Thread: Defiance

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar

Defiance

So we do not already have a thread for this?
    It's the upcoming MMO which is not also based on, but also kinda "connected", to the upcoming TV series. I still don't really get it, but that's not the point ;)

It's a 3rd person shooter open world MMO with PvE and PvP elements. Said to be the strongest contester to Firefall. It will follow the Guild Wars model of pay to play, not free2play or subscription based.

On friday there will be another beta event. Several websites are handing out keys. I think I still have one left.
    Anyone else in? Going to be my first time in Defiance, maybe some people want to get together?

Network Hub
    As far as the link to the TV show goes, the game is set in San Francisco and the TV show in St. Louis. I believe they are supposed to be running on the same timeline, but the distance between the settings mean only really large events will have impact across the two things.

Feel free to see if I'm on-line, I'll be playing as Solomon Valentine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am in. I will post here my character name, as soon I have one. But since is under NDA, I don't see what we can use a thread for, other than maybe sharing keys, if we are given some (but thats more a near-open beta thing?)

--

My character is Montagna.
    Last edited by Tei; 08-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    New video/teaser thing :D

NDA was lifted on March 22. Sadly my impression from the beta weekend was pretty meh.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Ezhar View Post
    Sadly my impression from the beta weekend was pretty meh.
    Yeah. Pretty much my impression too.

Network Hub
    Did anyone actually dive in and get the full game? Thoughts?

I got it. The repetetive quests and boring storyline aren't worth 50€.
    But it's a title that I dip in again and again and do a quest here and there because it has some solid shooter mechanics.

Would I recommend it for someone else? Not for that price, maybe if it costs 15€.

No, the beta failed to convince me and I don't have high hopes for the TV show either. Dan Whitehead seems to agree.
    --

I've played the closed and open betas (disclaimer: it was on the PS3) and to be quite honest, its bland and repetitive.

I'll admit that i had some fun with the vehicles, but all in all is not worth 60 bucks, specially because im afraid that if the show tanks (which is highly likely) the game will get zero support.

I do approve of a non-subscription base model. Its a shame that the game is mediocre at best.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Apologies for the necro - figured it was easier than starting a new thread.

Picked this game up last Wednesday @ Amazon for 45 bucks, and have been struggling to get it installed for 3 days. The auto-patcher kept erroring out after 10 to 20 minutes or so of downloading so it's been excruciating to get it even up and running. Turns out there is some sort of registry fix with how your computer handles packet size that will stop the errors by manually editing your network connection via command line - because their servers are set to some crazy MTU send/recieve setting. AWESOME JOB TRION. So that fixed it Friday night and it finished installing.

Character creation is really sad, especially in light how really good the game looks. It has great visuals, high textures and particle effects etc, so it's kind of crazy how limited you are with characters. I was immediately able to purchase several different hats within 30 minutes of play, so perhaps that's the route they're going.

Otherwise, thoughts so far are favorable. Oh, one more thing, a truly landmark event in all my years of gaming - I had to actually google HOW TO EXIT THE GAME. Yep. Spent a good 10 minutes banging around the menus and what not till I finally just used alt-F4. Turns out I should have gone to the key bindings to discover that pressing F6 is the exit button. AWESOME.

This is the char select load screen. The only place "exit game" appears. :D
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 12-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

There's an "exit game" in-game as well (unless it's been patched out), but it's hidden under "options" if I remember correctly, so both F6 and /exit (or /quit?) will be a lot faster than navigating there.

Yeah, I also spent 30 minutes in beta trying to figure that one out...
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    IGN and Gamasutra are reporting a massive round of layoffs at TRION today, directly affecting the Defiance development team.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...1c35bd5a00001d

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...each_Trion.php

Rift will be going F2P and no word yet on how this directly affects the future of Defiance.

From the Gamesutra article "A trusted source close to Trion has informed Gamasutra that the layoffs are sweeping and may affect as much as half of the company. Teams in Austin, Redwood Shores and San Diego are said to be dramatically affected, with the Defiance team in San Diego reportedly "obliterated."
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

The Rift team was already cut down in December, I think with F2P'ing Rift they try to make as much money with the least effort as possible. I would say it's likely they will do the same with Defiance in the near future.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-