Banned

Legend of dungeon

SO WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT THIS HMMMMMMM?

It's a lovely little pixelated rogue-a-like beat em up via way of TECHNOLOGY so it has snazzy graphics that's 4 times over its funding amount on KICKSTARTER. In fact it gained its funding in its first 24 hours its just that cool a game. As we speak cool stretch goals are getting unlocked.

Let me tell you though that it is FUN.

Don't believe me? Linky-poo for the work in progress version here.

If you're not able to download you can visit the website and play online too, here, but you will need Unity installed so that's a no go if you're been a lazy bum on a tablet, enjoying your sofa. You can has video instead.

I gather there are dirty linux and dirtier mac builds if you click about.

But yeah, it's been a while since I've had as much fun exploring randomly generated dungeons like this, perhaps not since Diablo 1. Something about the lighting seems to have struck a chord with me, the excessive darkness reminding me of how dungeons and labrynths looked in my head a little un. Its a pleasingly claustrophobic experience wandering around with a torch, gazing into the shadows and listening for trouble.

It probably won't be long till this has eclipsed Torchlight 2 in playtime for me. Discovering I actually prefer random challenges over excessive random loot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I would back it if I had a job. Looks fun. Ultimately it's just another platformer, although it looks charming and I can smell interesting game mechanics, and randomization. Looks old-school in a good way.

Darkness is fun because it's pretty much a new game mechanics. AAA game developers are all too eager to allow to disable shadows for performance, which, especially in multiplayer games, kills them. And shadows in DooM 3 are not scary, they're annoying because you keep stumbling in the dark.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 04-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I shall have a look see later, looks like the kind of thing I might well enjoy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Thank you for posting this, as I thought I'd already backed this amazing game but turns out I hadn't. And now I have!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Thank you for posting this, as I thought I'd already backed this amazing game but turns out I hadn't. And now I have!
    No problem!

Did you back at a level where you get to design any of your own items?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I wish I could afford that level before Christmas, but sadly not. I look forward to seeing what weird-ass designs the other backers will be suggesting for the game, though.

Having tried the alpha from latest Groupees' Build a Bundle, I was underwhelmed by the actual gameplay.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Having tried the alpha from latest Groupees' Build a Bundle, I was underwhelmed by the actual gameplay.
    I was too. They have a new demo on their Kickstarter that they claim has ranged weapons, spells, shields and breakable boxes but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Might as well do that now, though.

EDIT: Tried the new demo. Pretty much the same with breakable crates that contain enemies 90% or more of the time.
    Last edited by johnki; 04-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I was too. They have a new demo on their Kickstarter that they claim has ranged weapons, spells, shields and breakable boxes but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Might as well do that now, though.

EDIT: Tried the new demo. Pretty much the same with breakable crates that contain enemies 90% or more of the time.
    Dev here, sorry you guys had such a disappointing experience. :/
    Good news is, the game is in incredibly early development, I would love to hear feed back about why it wasn't fun?

Johnki, it sounds like you just had a really bad couple of runs? I almost always find a Hammer and a Magic book when I play (and I play a lot) and even if I don't I have a good time.

I've spent most of the day implementing weapon charge ups and quick dodge mechanics, so there is lots of room for improvement if we can get the constructive feedback we need.

Banned
    Is this game comparable to Legend of Grimrock or Dungeons of Dredmor? The video made it look a little like a platformer similar to Braid or what have you rather than a true dungeon crawler game.

I was just going to peek over here and say thank you from the two of us, you gracious people here at Rock Paper Shotgun have pledged the most out of any website so far, you guys are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Is this game comparable to Legend of Grimrock or Dungeons of Dredmor? The video made it look a little like a platformer similar to Braid or what have you rather than a true dungeon crawler game.
    It plays more like teenage mutant turtles the arcade game mixed with classic Rogue.

Try out the demo! It's live for about two more weeks, so give it a try for yourself! it is right on the kickstarter page

Activated Node
    Game is now avaialable for $10 at http://robotloveskitty.com/LoD/index.html.

Played a bit last night -- seems fun. Works well with a controller.

Obscure Node
    Something about this game reminds me of 3d dot game heroes to ps3, maybe the sounds..definitely gonna try it out!

I too played the Groupee Bundles Version,and it seemed to be some Lite Version as it is specially marked as "Groupesse Bundle Version" ?

Nevertheless *this* Version was kind of bland,with combat being simple button mashing.
    Inventory Management/weapon selection was done by switching through all your Items one by one (No Hotkeys),annoying at best.

Later on i was grabbed by some Zombie Hand which i could not Shake off or remove with my Warhammer (or Battleaxe? hard to tell).After some more Zombie Hands grabbing me and slowing me down to a Crawl i gave up.

To be honest it has neither the Graphics and Feel of Hack and Slash titles (Torchlight,Diablo), nor the depth of Roguelikes (Incursion/Stone Soup). I am hard pressed to find a Reason to recommend it,as i experienced it (in my possibly limited Version).
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    What's with these games' names lately? It's either bordering on pretentious high fantasy unpronouncable Numenera Amalur types or extremely generic (and off-putting) Old School RPG Legend of Dungeon.
    Don't judge a game by it's name... but perhaps it does say something to the creativity of the developers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    What's with these games' names lately? It's either bordering on pretentious high fantasy unpronouncable Numenera Amalur types or extremely generic (and off-putting) Old School RPG Legend of Dungeon.
    Don't judge a game by it's name... but perhaps it does say something to the creativity of the developers
    I agree. I thought the game was going to be some generic flash game attempt at something original, but was surprised by the level of work shown off in the youtube video. Going to check the demo now!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    I too played the Groupee Bundles Version,and it seemed to be some Lite Version as it is specially marked as "Groupesse Bundle Version" ?

Nevertheless *this* Version was kind of bland,with combat being simple button mashing.
    Inventory Management/weapon selection was done by switching through all your Items one by one (No Hotkeys),annoying at best.

Later on i was grabbed by some Zombie Hand which i could not Shake off or remove with my Warhammer (or Battleaxe? hard to tell).After some more Zombie Hands grabbing me and slowing me down to a Crawl i gave up.

To be honest it has neither the Graphics and Feel of Hack and Slash titles (Torchlight,Diablo), nor the depth of Roguelikes (Incursion/Stone Soup). I am hard pressed to find a Reason to recommend it,as i experienced it (in my possibly limited Version).
    That's a really old version that was made for the kickstarter and the game is now on the cusp of beta. Still, sounds like old school games are a little too much for you though. Best stick to something more hand-hold-y. O

To everyone else: The game has come on magnificently. The pixel art looks better than ever and the lighting is particularly nice at the moment. There are heaps of new bad guys, a deeper inventory system (you can scroll backwards through your loot now too) online score board, traps, meatier combat with special attacks, weapons and monsters from the kickstarter backers, and soon we're getting pets and character classes.

It looks like the game might be picked in the next round of green-lit games on Steam too.

Here's a video to show what it looks like in a more recent build, but also the weapon I designed for the game in action.

It's nice to see people using something I created but believe or not I haven't even managed to find it in the game. Serves me right for designing for a super powerful super rare weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    That's a really old version that was made for the kickstarter and the game is now on the cusp of beta. Still, sounds like old school games are a little too much for you though. Best stick to something more hand-hold-y. O
    The old version looked good on screen (but the video you posted doesn't look much different... or at all) but gameplay was lacking, I haven't bothered trying a later version since the developer seemed to think it was OK the way it was. Good to know it has improved, but you can drop the attitude.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    I paid $10 for it a few days ago and don't regret it at all, but it does feel a bit lacking. It probably doesn't help that every hallway looks basically identical to the one before it.