Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    But I like games. :(
    Personally, I'd rather rag on the publishers. Like I really want the Trials Evloution box set coming out next month, but just know Ubisoft are gonna' slap UPlay or some other crap on it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Unnecessary filler content. I find myself with less time and more money than I used to have. As a consequence, my backlog is ever-expanding. I don't want games to waste my time so that I can get my "money's worth", I want a good experience. If a game takes a lot of time but is more or less consistently appealing, that's great, but once I start to feel like I'm grinding I get disenchanted and annoyed and will soon abandon the game. I judge games by the enjoyment they provide, not the amount of time they consume. Adding more extra content to the same amount of base content generally detracts from the value, rather than increase it. I'd much rather replay a shorter, consistently interesting game than grind along in a more stretched out version of it.

Also, quicksaves. Both their inclusion and their exclusion. It often bugs me when quicksaves aren't available, but I don't have the discipline to not press F5 before every corner if I can.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with accessibility, and some games, like Fallout 3, do tutorials well. I personally prefer skippable tutorials or tutorials outside the main game. I do think it's a bit unfair that we expect games which were welcoming to us when we were new gamers to change with us instead of letting them continue to welcome new gamers, and moving on to different games if we find it bothersome.
    This. You get bonus characters for that. :D
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Obviously talented developers with a healthy budget doing nothing but making MMO RPGs.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Another thing I hate is that it seems like developers today care more about targeting and bringing in non-gamers than they do about pleasing the fans they already have. Take the last Zelda, for example. I've already beaten over a dozen Zelda games, so why are you stopping me to explain how bombs work, or what my heart meter means? Why not make a game expecting the person playing to be a gamer, and not a casual or non-gamer who probably won't even finish it? You shouldn't have to tell the player to use the mouse to look around, or use the left stick to move. If they do not fucking know that already, then they have no business being here.
    The Zelda example is a good one, because the constant, unskippable messages are obnoxious in the extreme - I don't need an explanatory pop-up appearing up every. single. fucking. time I pick up a high-value rupee or similar. As much as I love the Zelda games, this aspect of them has frustrated me for years.

Your last few sentences are elitist crap though. I have no objection to hand-holding tutorial text being available for those that might need it, I just wish they'd let me turn it off. Options (within reason) are good.

Network Hub
    Cutscenes recorded at console resolution and graphics settings that look laughably inferior to the realtime graphics, Bulletstorm I'm looking at you.

Also add one for the checkpoint system in stealth games, the Riddick games would have been significantly better with a quicksave.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unskippable cutscenes.

Unskippable animations in turn-based games.

Unskippable dialogue.

Press Any key To Start screens. I don't care if it's some Microsoft requirement. It cannot be beyond their wit to check whether the game is being run on a PC and remove the stupid screen accordingly.

Press Specific Key To Start screens. Whoever makes those is just being deliberately spiteful.

QTEs in long cutscenes you were just sitting back and relaxing in.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    everything in this video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Another thing I hate is that it seems like developers today care more about targeting and bringing in non-gamers than they do about pleasing the fans they already have. Take the last Zelda, for example. I've already beaten over a dozen Zelda games, so why are you stopping me to explain how bombs work, or what my heart meter means? Why not make a game expecting the person playing to be a gamer, and not a casual or non-gamer who probably won't even finish it? You shouldn't have to tell the player to use the mouse to look around, or use the left stick to move. If they do not fucking know that already, then they have no business being here.
    I can't help but think you've got this all sideways. The problem isn't having tutorials and having games that new gamers can figure out. The problem is having unskippable tutorials, or tutorials with obnoxious interfaces, or tutorials that server no other purpose. The tutorial in Mass Effects 1 and 2 are still operating fictionally. Stuff is happening other than "Ooh, look at this quaint little village you live in, Link!"

Making games less accessible to new gamers makes them less accessible to us, too, a lot of the time. Accessibility is good. I don't want to read a 100 page manual before I play a game. Making complex and rewarding mechanics accessible to anyone at the controls should be what we all want! Easy to learn hard to master? Isn't that what we should be striving for? There are all kinds of awful things people do in tutorials ... and that could be easily fixed if we dedicated more time and creativity and resources to developing tutorials.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

There are lots of small niggly things that'll get an eye-roll or a loud tut (almost all caused by Consolitis), but there's one thing that can kill my interest in a game stone dead - Not being able to save whenever I like. I don't even mean being able to quick-save every 3 picoseconds, I just need a game to save my progress when I quit, so I can carry on from where I left off.

This is due to limited playtime and having a young kid. I need to know I can just save and quit at a moments notice. I can't face replaying a section just because I hadn't reached some distant checkpoint before my son started wailing.

Not allowing every key on the keyboard to be remapped is the worst thingfor me. The Enter key especially being unavailable tends to crop up stupidly often in these things, as is treating the numpad buttons as the arrow keys and the Delete/End/PageDown cluster (ie you can't keymap eg down arrow and numpad 2 as different actions because apparently they're the same key). As a person who doesn't use WASD, the first thing I always do when I start a new game is to go to the key configs, and it's never certain if I can actually use the key config I'm used to.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

An insufficient number of options in the graphical settings menu. File that right next to botchy key bindings menus.

Actually, let's just say stark settings menus in general. Fuck you developers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    "Get back to the war zone! 5 4 3 2 <reload last checkpoint>"

"Hey, listen! Hey, listen!, Hey listen!, Listen! Use mouse to look around! Listen!"

Console game:
    <cutscene appears> "Press X!" <reload last checkpoint> <cutscene appears> "Press X!" <X pressed> "Press L1!" <L1 pressed> ... "Press O!" <reload last checkpoint> <repeat x times>

PC port of console game
    <cutscene appears> "Press X!" <reload last checkpoint> <cutscene appears> "Press X!" <pressed any key> <reload last checkpoint> <repeat until all keys pressed> <cutscene appears> "Press X!" <X pressed> "Press O!" <pressed any key> <reload last checkpoint> <repeat all until you remeber that X mean e and O means space etc.>

I absolutely hate having to unlock weapons in multiplayer FPS. One of the biggest culprits: Battlefield 3. Would be so much more enjoyable without having to grind for stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    No mouse support in menus..FFFUUUUUUU.

Network Hub
    Brought to mind by a comment a few moments ago, whilst not entirely related to any particular aspect of a game, but the lack of just raw gameplay footage that publishers/developers release I find it unbelievably annoying.

Just show the damn game. I couldn't a crap about some pointless video interview with the lead designer etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Tutorials that don't focus on gameplay mechanics. Guys, don't give me a list of steps to accomplish X without telling me why I want to do that and exactly what the hell it's doing. If I'm playing the tutorial it's because I don't know the mechanics, telling me to build a Wargorle Transmission Tower on my planet without explaining what it does or why I'm doing it isn't helping me. Some tutorials play like some of the worst game guides ever written. You know, the ones that go "Build 20 Zargles straight up, because I'm telling you to."

Unskippable anything, but make me confirm before skipping something important. If you're explaining an important plot point in this cutscene then confirm that I want to skip it just in case I have an attack of being retarded and hit something by accident. If it's your company logo taking 30 seconds to appear on screen like a bad YouTube intro, then don't confirm with me, just let me skip it. Actually, just don't do it. Period.

Littering savegame and config files everywhere. We have a Saved Games folder for a reason, and yet none of you are using it! The current standard seems to be "clutter up My Documents because...?" or sometimes using "Documents\My Games\AwesomeDev\Call of Ocular Trauma 4\saves\" Sometimes they just leave them in the game's directory. Whatever it is you should have some sort of conference, pick a standard, and goddamn stick to it! Stop cluttering up My Documents! I had to stop using it because you turn it into a mess!

Pointless social media integration, because it doesn't need to happen.

Dodgy mouse support in general. Either make the menu work properly with a mouse, or don't let the mouse activate the menu. Also don't apply weird acceleration curves to the mouse. If I move it in a short distance, don't make the view track slower. It's not a thumbstick, I have a much greater range of motion, if I move it a short distance I want it to move at the same speed in that direction. STOP. SCREWING. UP. MY. MOUSE.

Combining keys that should not be combined - Mass Effect 3 combining "USE" and "ROLL" was stupid, and there were enough buttons on a gamepad that they didn't need to do that. By the same token, not combining keys that should be combined. Having each key bound to different things just for the sake of it when it could easily be handled by one key with context-sensitive usage is not good game design. ARMA2 is a decent example (the Action menu scores points though) with its numerous pointless keys that stretch across the keyboard. Most games IMO get it right.

I don't like verbose characters repeating an objective over and over. And boss fights with those characters around you. I usually die a lot during those fights. And then you have to listen to the same crap again... 'Shoot this or we are all gonna die. Oh no.'

Unskippable cutscenes before difficult encounters: every time you have to replay an encounter, you have to watch the cutscene again.

Not being able to customize the key bindings.

Overly dramatic voice acting. I understand that some lines call for a dramatic delivery, but when every character speaks like the world could end at any moment, it gets tiresome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unskippable intro videos. I'll allow unskippable logo videos the first time a game runs, that doesn't seem too bad.

Windows and menus that don't close with the same hotkey used to open them. Bonus dick points if that hotkey does something else when the menu is open.

Windows and menus that don't close when you press Esc, unless there's very good reason for this.

Game menu that doesn't upon with Esc, unless there's very good reason for this.

Real-time-with-pause games where Pause is on a key that isn't the spacebar.

RPGs where i doesn't open inventory, j doesn't open journal (sure, make it l for Log if you want to be a special snowflake, but make j work as well). c should probably open the character screen, but c is close enough to useful keys to have other potential uses. i, l and j rarely do anything, so they may as well be mapped to these standard menus in all RPGs.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.