Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Infinitely respawning bad guys.

I basically stopped playing FPS that do this after COD3 when I watched 100s of germans come out of a small farmhouse in the middle of a field as I apparently never crossed the 'stop spawning' line over the course of 45 minutes. It reminded me of the tardis, only it was a little bigger on the outside.

All shooters tend to do this, and some do it better than others, but I WANT to clear out an area and move on, and a 'line' i need to cross to stop it happening is the most artificial, unimaginative, creatively backrupt solution.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Games NOT having an option to have simple 1:1 mouse controls. As in NO mouse filtering, mouse smoothing, mouse acceleration, mouse deceleration and whatnot being applied to mouse input. One would think this has to be the easiest thing in the world to do right and yet there is a huge number of games which have some form of mouse filtering you can't get rid of.

Even worse, I played some console ports lately in which the game code seems to emulate analog stick movement based on mouse input. Absolute and utter madness!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Games NOT having an option to have simple 1:1 mouse controls. As in NO mouse filtering, mouse smoothing, mouse acceleration, mouse deceleration and whatnot being applied to mouse input. One would think this has to be the easiest thing in the world to do right and yet there is a huge number of games which have some form of mouse filtering you can't get rid of.

Even worse, I played some console ports lately in which the game code seems to emulate analog stick movement based on mouse input. Absolute and utter madness!
    I LIKE IT BUDDY. If it weren't for this feature recent games would only be HALF as hard as they once were!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcelet View Post
    I LIKE IT BUDDY. If it weren't for this feature recent games would only be HALF as hard as they once were!
    Try playing blindfolded, I hear that increases the difficulty to NES levels of challenge!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Try playing blindfolded, I hear that increases the difficulty to NES levels of challenge!
    But then how will I experience cinematic cutscenes of interactive emotion? What I really want is for someone to include hiccup mechanics to first person shooters - imagine the challenge! They might occur at any moment, sending your aim way off - but wait! Gob down that bottle of water and you'll be immune for a while ( Far Cry 2 delved into this concept but didn't quite go the distance to satisfy me, I found ) or press a key to stand upside down! Can you stand upside down long enough for the hiccups to go away amidst the chaos of war? Can you save the world and / or America while afflicted by hiccups? That THERE is the challenge I NEED in my games. GIVE THIS TO ME, DEVELOPERS! Also, for reasons passing understanding this forum seems to be immune to my enter key, might there be a reason for this? And if so, what is it?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Menus that don't rotate back to the top/bottom option forcing you to go all the way up/down.

No mouse support is bad, but mouse support without scroll wheel support is WORSE.

Poorly used online game launchers.

I like having a little screen that pops up, links to account management and downloads the latest patch, but recently I seem to have suffered from games that don't actually include the news on the handy newsfeed. I don't mind you advertising certain stuff in there, I just want to know when the next patch or server downtime will be, the latest patchnotes, events etc. without having to trawl the developers homepage, favourite fan news site or (the horror) official forums.

But this doesn't seem to just be limited to games, my company has recently replaced the poorly used intranet news (some sites had ignored it for years) with a new thing that promises more, offers less and I don't know anyone who doesn't immediately close it as soon as it opens on login.

Psychic spacebar cover. Because I`m certain Mass Effect 2 and 3 always know if I want to go in cover, roll, sprint, leave cover, switch cover, or loot something.

Physics based abilities... that only affect a tenth of the game assets and enemies. No, Mass Effect, Half-Life 2, etc., I`m not impressed by you spectacularly blowing an enemy across the room while the guy next to him stands around and picks his nose. Or the same happening with random crates, for that matter (the ME sequels are actually worse about this. Disintegrating an entire platoon without even a scorch mark on the floor breaks immersion utterly).

Games taking me through multiple layers of launchers before letting me play. Yes, I`m looking at you, Arenanet, Turbine, Riot, Hi-Rez...

Bad programming causing a Java update prompt to crash the game completely.

No external settings configuration (I`ve been unable to play Tribes for months now due to a misstep in the GFX settings causing the game to explode on startup).

Buggy updating (Supreme Commander. GPG are so incompetent that the updating client is glichy as hell).

Sociopathic/apathetic bots (no Rochelle, I won`t mind if you ignore the Charger that just rammed me into a puddle of Spitter acid).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Options that are not drop-down. I'm sure everybody here clicks the right arrow again after reaching High, just to see if there are even better settings. Drop-down menus are more efficient but not many games have them.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Options that are not drop-down. I'm sure everybody here clicks the right arrow again after reaching High, just to see if there are even better settings. Drop-down menus are more efficient but not many games have them.
    So much this. It's one of those minor annoyances that wouldn't really be annoying if it wasn't so damn easy to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Just as bad are drop-downs that only contain 3 options and then you have to scroll for the rest, FFS I have more than 400 vertical pixels, surely you can fit a few more lines on.

Network Hub
    Having to close the application and reload for settings to take effect. Why?!
    Saving my games in My Documents. You're not a document. GTFO.
    Games with moral choice systems, that explicitly tell you "this is the good choice, this is the evil choice", every time you make a decision.

One that really pissed me off recently is in Deus Ex: HR - The mouse speed setting only apply in game, not in the menu. This may not sound so bad, but it means that it might feel fine in the settings menu, then you save, exit, go back in to the game, and it's ridiculously slow, so you have to go back, try again, change, go back in to game, now it's just too damn fast..Why do you do this?!?!
    Last edited by Davkaus; 07-02-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    Games with moral choice systems, that explicitly tell you "this is the good choice, this is the evil choice", every time you make a decision.
    Games with karma where anything between Beelzebub and Gandhi get no bonuses. I AM A PRAGMATIST, MOTHERFUCKER, WHERE IS MY +5 BONUS TO EXPEDIENCY?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

One that really pissed me off recently is in Deus Ex: HR - The mouse speed setting only apply in game, not in the menu. This may not sound so bad, but it means that it might feel fine in the settings menu, then you save, exit, go back in to the game, and it's ridiculously slow, so you have to go back, try again, change, go back in to game, now it's just too damn fast..Why do you do this?!?!
    You think that's bad? When I played RAGE, the cursor sensitivity was independent from the mouselook sensitivity. So every time the game gave me control over a cursor, it was super-sensitive and I had to make the tiniest movements in order to select anything. Massive pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Games with karma where anything between Beelzebub and Gandhi get no bonuses. I AM A PRAGMATIST, MOTHERFUCKER, WHERE IS MY +5 BONUS TO EXPEDIENCY?
    Word. I was so pissed off at the end of Mass Effect 2, when my particular blend of Paragon and Renegade points made it impossible to complete Zaeed's loyalty mission because of this. I think they actively cancel each other out for some conversation options, which is bullshit.
    Last edited by LTK; 07-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Games where karma gives you bonuses and penalties at all. Unless justified by being a priest or an angel or something.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Oh! I like that one. I often tried to play a balanced character, but it just doesn't work. In the end it's either an angel or a devil :D

Oh cool, another warehouse full of crates. Where's the pallet jack?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Explosive barrels..Like we are still in 95 :|
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Having to close the application and reload for settings to take effect. Why?!
    Saving my games in My Documents. You're not a document. GTFO.
    You prefer to have your save games located in obscure, ever changing locations so you are forced to look them up on the internet, I take it?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"