Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Absent/inaccurate subtitles (I am hard of hearing). Having to come out of a game entirely and use its configurator in the launcher to change even the most basic of options. Non rebindable keys. A lack of compensation for colour-blindness (for example, games with radar/minimaps in their HUDs, and which go to no other lengths to differentiate the red dots and the green dots. It's not like red-green colourblindness is the most common form, after all...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Hrm...

Maybe an option to choose where saves are stored? Would make back ups easier but then that's one more dialogue box we have to click through before the install begins.
    I'd be fine with that. I'd just as soon have them just pick a spot collectively, though.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And how often does the average PC gamer even SEE install prompts these days? Hell, they piss me off on the few occasions where a game has them as I prefer "Double-click whatever starts install, tvtropes, play game"
    That can be a pain. Some games don't allow for you to easily change the directories for these sorts of things. But frequently making backups is part of computer maintenance 101, anyway, so I'd suggest just backing them up often anyway.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I'd be fine with that. I'd just as soon have them just pick a spot collectively, though.
    From Windows Vista forward there is a spot, the Saved Games folder on your profile. Nobody gives a shit.

PC Gaming
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    From Windows Vista forward there is a spot, the Saved Games folder on your profile. Nobody gives a shit.
    Yes they do. I don't like having my saved games on my C drive.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Nobody gives a shit.
    Habit, everybody is used to do whatever they want and they don't take well to change, just look how long it took before programs stopped saving their configuration data under the Program Files tree.

MS could do a much better job of communicating and enforcing these changes, their approach is haphazard at best, I'm thinking of the many different UI paradigms coexisting at the same time in a base Windows install (control panel is a good example), and that's without even mentioning Win8/Metro.

I guess it's kind of a cultural thing, they're used to living with several contrasting standards at the same time since ye olde days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Yes they do. I don't like having my saved games on my C drive.
    Just create a junction to whatever drive you would like to have your saved games on.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Habit, everybody is used to do whatever they want and they don't take well to change, just look how long it took before programs stopped saving their configuration data under the Program Files tree.

MS could do a much better job of communicating and enforcing these changes, their approach is haphazard at best, I'm thinking of the many different UI paradigms coexisting at the same time in a base Windows install (control panel is a good example), and that's without even mentioning Win8/Metro.

I guess it's kind of a cultural thing, they're used to living with several contrasting standards at the same time since ye olde days.
    I'd argue that Microsoft is the "big tent" company precisely because they strive to be all things to all people: It's their business-to-business connections and contracts that have held them to contorting every which way keeping backwards compatibility and UI constancy over an insane amount of time. If all the secretaries and analysts in your huge corporation like Word 03, the benefits of updating to Word 07 are far outweighed by having to suffer the resistance and the retraining of all your employees. That's why, even with new options, the old options are always there.

In this corporate philosophy, it is not Microsoft's job, nor is it in their best interest, to enforce changes on their customers. There's a reason Apple can't make deep inroads into the desktop world. (Conversely, of course, Metro is Microsoft's way of making inroads into the mobile/tablet world.)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    MS could do a much better job of communicating and enforcing these changes...
    But people willingly ignore them, and any attempts to say "THIS IS HOW IT WILL BE" are met with resistance and cries of a Microsoft dictatorship. One of the issues with PC freedom is that sometimes it goes too far to the point where games and applications litter their rubbish all over the place. Honestly, I'd prefer it if games stayed in their own folder and stopped venturing outside of it. At least then I'd know where everything is.

Activated Node
    The thing that comes to mind for me is the utterly inexcusable sack of garbage the Galactic Readiness thing was in ME3.

I went back to it the other day, with half an eye on picking up Leviathan and having another play through but that put me off.

I know there's a workaround but it's still a massive pain.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMellie View Post
    The thing that comes to mind for me is the utterly inexcusable sack of garbage the Galactic Readiness thing was in ME3.
    How so? A patch (actually the Extended Cut) reduced the requirement even further so that you don't need to play MP at all to achieve the best ending. The absolute best ending doesn't really change much except (SPOILER: adding the possibility that Shepard survived the final encounter). Incidentally, with the Extended Cut you can also refuse to follow the Catalyst's flawed logic, but (SPOILER: the Reapers win).

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    How so? A patch (actually the Extended Cut) reduced the requirement even further so that you don't need to play MP at all to achieve the best ending. The absolute best ending doesn't really change much except (SPOILER: adding the possibility that Shepard survived the final encounter).
    Hmmmm.... was this just me this wound up so much? Cheers for the info on the Extended Cut reducing the requirements - didn't know that.

The thing that annoyed me was being forced to play the MP to get the 'best' ending. In a perfect world the ending of a video game wouldn't bother me so much but in games like this, I enjoy trying to do everything. I do not enjoy MP games and I don't appreciate being herded into a system they probably look at as a way to sell more DLC through.

I enjoyed the ME series very much, including ME3, but I really hope this design choice isn't replicated.

When I buy a ticket to Alton Towers, I don't want to be forced on the all the poxy rides.

By God.

First world problems, I know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To be honest, Mass Effect is usually better when you don't get the best results and the galaxy goes a bit shit.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMellie View Post
    Hmmmm.... was this just me this wound up so much? Cheers for the info on the Extended Cut reducing the requirements - didn't know that.

The thing that annoyed me was being forced to play the MP to get the 'best' ending. In a perfect world the ending of a video game wouldn't bother me so much but in games like this, I enjoy trying to do everything. I do not enjoy MP games and I don't appreciate being herded into a system they probably look at as a way to sell more DLC through.

You never had to play multiplayer to get the secret ending.

You just had to play a New Game+.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    No option for windowed mode. Not that I use it much, but including it seems like a pretty basic feature, and it's a good way to futureproof your game for when screen resolutions inevitably increase past what you've provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    No option for windowed mode. Not that I use it much, but including it seems like a pretty basic feature, and it's a good way to futureproof your game for when screen resolutions inevitably increase past what you've provided.
    Good point, I use an assymetric dual monitor setup and most of the time I prefer windowed (or even better full-screen windowed) mode so that I don't have to drop back to desktop to do something on the other monitor.

Network Hub
    It's something that only recently started frustrating me when I tried to play some older games, and they stretched across my screen with no option to just throw them into a window at their native resolution. Half Life does this and it works perfectly, can't see why other games dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

You never had to play multiplayer to get the secret ending.

You just had to play a New Game+.
    Wasn't all the multiplayer DLC free anyway? And RogerMellie you're missing out, ME3 multiplayer is sure lots of fun.

I second that, the multiplayer makes the combat make sense and be fun. I cant imagine I would have spent so much time in ME3 if not for the multiplayer.

Dont get me wrong, though, needing "exterior" measures in order to "complete" the singleplayer, is a bad design move, especially if its crucial in order to get the "best" ending.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Dont get me wrong, though, needing "exterior" measures in order to "complete" the singleplayer, is a bad design move, especially if its crucial in order to get the "best" ending.
    BUT IT'S NOT.

All this hullabaloo over bullshit. I can understand if the dude doesn't want to play multiplayer, but never did he have to​.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    It's something that only recently started frustrating me when I tried to play some older games, and they stretched across my screen with no option to just throw them into a window at their native resolution. Half Life does this and it works perfectly, can't see why other games dont.
    Tends to be an option in the graphics card/driver suite. Something like "stretch pixels/ratio" or "keep ratio" or "fill screen". Mine has 3 options. Keep the pixel count and project the little box on my screen with a boarder around it. Stretch to "fit" with all associated warping. Or "fit but keep aspect ratio" that fits to the edges but puts black bars along the top (or on rare occasions the sides). I tend to go to stretch but keep aspect ratio on very low res games (older ones), but pixel to pixel on anything about 1200, as I hate stretched pixels. :P