Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Although now that I think about it it would be nice to review an encounter by reading the dice rolls after it's over.
    That would be a really cool feature. Like how some games save your conversations in an archive. I don't remember how much of that stuff NWN stored, but it eventually just fell out the top of the scrolling text box with no archive or save feature and it was all together--rolls, dialogs, notifications ... a bit too messy though I seem to recall there being filter tabs, I might be mixing up games at this point.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Geese View Post
    "Good news, gentlemen! We have just acquired a Scaleform license for a ZILLION DOLLARS! I want every GUI element to zoom and jiggle excessively."
    With dubstep by Skrillex.

It would actually be great if there was a mod for Morrowind where upon entering combat, you and the mudcrab sit down and start casting dice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Geese View Post
    "Good news, gentlemen! We have just acquired a Scaleform license for a ZILLION DOLLARS! I want every GUI element to zoom and jiggle excessively."
    This is a major gripe. Get Flash out of my game!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

A few more from me:

This is a survival game, so you`ll have to conserve your ammo. Oh, except for the stupidly overpowered pistol, that gets infinite ammo because fuck logic.

Quick-time events in general, especially ones that require you to wiggle the thumbstick/mouse around, or reach across half the keyboard in a Planck second.

Mouse acceleration that feels like swimming in molasses.

Shotguns whose pellets magically vanish 5 meters past the end of the barrel. Also, shotguns that can`t be loaded with slug.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You reminded me of some bullshit. Resident Evil starting from 4. You're getting ammo for killing enemies. In game which tries to be (at least 4 was trying) a survival horror. In game which teach you at the start that it's better to avoid enemies and run (that barricading in old house in village part). Basicaly you must kill everything. I liked running past some enemies in older REs because it's better to conserve that last few shotgun rounds for boss.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Yes, that's it. If you're the kind of person who has 4 controllers plugged into the console at any time, and you pick up whichever is at hand when you start playing, the 'Press Start' command lets the system identify which controller it should be taking input from. Obviously, this is non-applicable for PC games.
    Actually, Just Cause 2 did it right. If you press the keyboard space it defaults to keyboard and mouse, if you press a connected controller, defaults the to controller. :)

When games that take themselves seriously have weird melee systems. Pretty much meaning Splinter Cell (Fancy taken to the extreme from Conviction to that new one i saw a trailer for), Skyrim (Unarmed. I dont mind the lack of a skill tree, but its being totally useless is the opposite end of that particular spectrum. And all you can do is flail your arms around in slow motion. Its a little bit silly.), and others.

Then games like ARMA just dont have a melee system at all, even though ive died countless times trying to shoot people at cuddling range, or after having them right up in my face and shooting over their shoulder, and other stuff that wouldnt happen with a button to make me savagely murder them with a rifle butt, or at least put them down so i can shoot them. Or just SOMETHING other than losing out because the AI can shoot you effortlessly at that distance, whereas accurate firing gets difficult for a player. Im pretty sure the US army still carry bayonets in some divisions, as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarcek View Post
    When games that take themselves seriously have weird melee systems. Pretty much meaning Splinter Cell (Fancy taken to the extreme from Conviction to that new one i saw a trailer for), Skyrim (Unarmed. I dont mind the lack of a skill tree, but its being totally useless is the opposite end of that particular spectrum. And all you can do is flail your arms around in slow motion. Its a little bit silly.), and others.
    There's a nice mod called Way of the Fist for Skyrim that lets you play unarmed effectively. It gives you a skill tree with a range of different abilities from more damage, faster attacks, chance to cause bleeding, more crit chance and then some cool stuff like if you sneak up on someone you can choke them out, which won't kill them, but knock them out for about two hours.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post

Quick-time events in general, especially ones that require you to wiggle the thumbstick/mouse around
    God of War Minotaur boss

You mean the same Resident Evil 4 that killed you instantly if you ever didn't perform a QTE properly, and featured one where you had to mash two buttons so insanely fast you could break your controller in one part? THAT Resident Evil 4 got QTEs right?

Get out.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    Shotguns whose pellets magically vanish 5 meters past the end of the barrel. Also, shotguns that can`t be loaded with slug.
    Oh dammit, fucking THIS.

It annoys the living crap out of me that perhaps 99% of any game that has at least one shotgun in it utterly fails to have to operate like one actually would. Most of the time you have to be so close when using one you may as well just rely on melee.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    You mean the same Resident Evil 4 that killed you instantly if you ever didn't perform a QTE properly, and featured one where you had to mash two buttons so insanely fast you could break your controller in one part? THAT Resident Evil 4 got QTEs right?

Get out.
    Yes.

I played it on the PS2, so maybe the original release was buggy. But as long as you were paying attention, it was easy to hit the buttons in time (and if you miss one? Oh well, it is fun to watch Leon die). And I don't recall anything where pushing the buttons could break the controller...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Oh dammit, fucking THIS.

It annoys the living crap out of me that perhaps 99% of any game that has at least one shotgun in it utterly fails to have to operate like one actually would. Most of the time you have to be so close when using one you may as well just rely on melee.
    Ranges are never long enough to actually warrant rifles et al. If you could fill a shotgun with slugs, there'd be no reason to use anything but a shotgun in 99% of encounters.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I'd be okay with it if all games replaced their shotguns with impact hammers

edit- oh besides 2d shmups, they have awesome shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yes.

I played it on the PS2, so maybe the original release was buggy. But as long as you were paying attention, it was easy to hit the buttons in time (and if you miss one? Oh well, it is fun to watch Leon die). And I don't recall anything where pushing the buttons could break the controller...
    If something's supposed to be interactive, it should be interactive, not a "Oh hey surprise, you were supposed to keep your fingers on the buttons at all times!" They then do the only thing they could have done to make it even worse and made it kill you instantly if you failed. That's just shit game design. Weren't we done that crap after Dragon's Lair?

And you must not remember the Krauser knife fight scene. It orders you to mash one button, and then suddenly mash another instead. You have approximately a nanosecond to comply.

Attached Images Attached Images

If something supposed to be interactive, it should be interactive, not a "Oh hey surprise, you were supposed to keep your fingers on the buttons at all times!" They then do the only thing they could have done to make it even worse and made it kill you instantly if you failed. That's just shit game design. Weren't we done with such poor design after Dragon's Lair?

And you must not remember the Krauser knife fight scene. It orders you to mash one button, and then suddenly mash another instead. You have approximately a nanosecond to comply.
    ... so the cutscenes are interactive. I don't see what the problem is, unless you prefer to sit on your hands every time your character starts talking to someone.

And I didn't really have any problems with Krauser (and neither did my friends). In fact, we all consider that to have been an incredibly fun fight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like QTEs in general and I think a lot of games rely too much on them. But, when done correctly, they keep the player focused and can actually increase immersion. I think RE4 probably had one of the better implementations of the "quick" and action-based QTEs. For an example of the other kind (purely focused on immersion), I cite Infamous 2.

Spoilers for Infamous 2:
    Throughout the game, you are strengthening yourself so you can use a device that will kill the big super monster. Near the end of the game, you find out it will also kill you and everyone else who has manifested as a Conduit, but will also save everyone who has contracted the plague. Assuming you choose to still activate it, you get an excellent series of battles that let Cole prove to himself (and the player) that, in a straight up fight, you CAN beat the beast that defeated you at the start of the game. And then, you have to activate the device. This is handled through on-screen semi-QTE (isn't really quick, but most people would call it a QTE) where you press down every single shoulder button as Cole grabs the device. After pressing each button, one by one, you have a death grip on the controller and Cole has a deathgrip on the device. And then, you are just instructed to "let go". INSANELY emotional and moving and lets the player relate a lot more to the events on screen.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Metal Gear Solid 4 really does QTE's right, in that they enhance the cutscenes with them. Not in the sense of press X not to die (I hate those and always fail them because I never anticipate the QTE XD) but press X to trigger Snake's flashback when someone is mentioning an event from previous games. Then there's also parts where R1 will take you from the cutscene in to 1st person mode, to get a different view of the scene etc. Or fully playable cutscenes, like the mission briefings or that amazing bike chase through Prague.

You can say anything about MGS and it's cutscenes (and you're probably right), but it really is a series that never fails to think outside of the box (lol pun) in it's design.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

... so the cutscenes are interactive. I don't see what the problem is, unless you prefer to sit on your hands every time your character starts talking to someone.

And I didn't really have any problems with Krauser (and neither did my friends). In fact, we all consider that to have been an incredibly fun fight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like QTEs in general and I think a lot of games rely too much on them. But, when done correctly, they keep the player focused and can actually increase immersion. I think RE4 probably had one of the better implementations of the "quick" and action-based QTEs. For an example of the other kind (purely focused on immersion), I cite Infamous 2.
    I would rather have a cutscene than a QTE because it's usually possible to skip a cutscene (unless the developers are stupid/lazy and want to inflate the game's length) and lets me focus on the scene and all the work they put into their animation and set design. A QTE is the developer's way of saying, "Let's see if we can trick people into thinking this is a longer game than it really is." It's as interactive as a DVD menu.

And the "mash buttons to not get stabbed" thing was stupid-hard. You had nanoseconds to switch from mashing X to Square or instant death and doing the damn thing all over again. If that's your idea of fun then maybe you really don't like interactive video games and a DVD menu would be just as entertaining to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Metal Gear Solid 4 really does QTE's right, in that they enhance the cutscenes with them. Not in the sense of press X not to die (I hate those and always fail them because I never anticipate the QTE XD) but press X to trigger Snake's flashback when someone is mentioning an event from previous games. Then there's also parts where R1 will take you from the cutscene in to 1st person mode, to get a different view of the scene etc. Or fully playable cutscenes, like the mission briefings or that amazing bike chase through Prague.

You can say anything about MGS and it's cutscenes (and you're probably right), but it really is a series that never fails to think outside of the box (lol pun) in it's design.
    That is one of the the only way QTEs should be allowed to work. They should never be essential to keep the game going. If you fail or decide not to do one, it the game shouldn't just kill you and demand you do it again. When they're used like that, they're being used as gameplay replacements. That you could skip just about every cutscene in MGS4 helped too.

I would rather have a cutscene than a QTE because it's usually possible to skip a cutscene (unless the developers are stupid/lazy and want to inflate the game's length) and lets me focus on the scene and all the work they put into their animation and set design. A QTE is the developer's way of saying, "Let's see if we can trick people into thinking this is a longer game than it really is." It's as interactive as a DVD menu.
    Then I hope you also hate any hallways and any walking in a game, becuase those are just a way to trick people into thinking the game is longer than it really is. Fallout 3 should have had no walking and just been an endless series of dialogue and shooting. Hell, let's skip the dialogue and just do the shooting :p

They put a lot of work into the animation and set design of those QTE-enhanced cutscenes (assuming they do a good job).

And the "mash buttons to not get stabbed" thing was stupid-hard. You had nanoseconds to switch from mashing X to Square or instant death and doing the damn thing all over again. If that's your idea of fun then maybe you really don't like interactive video games and a DVD menu would be just as entertaining to you.
    I suspect you might not know what a "nanosecond" is.

And again, I saw no real problem. It gives a sense of frantically trying to react. If you screw up, you screw up. And to continue the theme of pretending the other person is stupid for having a different opinion: Maybe you just suck at gaming and need an easy mode :p

That is one of the the only way QTEs should be allowed to work. They should never be essential to keep the game going. If you fail or decide not to do one, it the game shouldn't just kill you and demand you do it again. When they're used like that, they're being used as gameplay replacements. That you could skip just about every cutscene in MGS4 helped too.
    But who is to say what should and should not count as "essential" gameplay? If you die in combat, should the game just skip ahead and assume you passed anyway?

Then I hope you also hate any hallways and any walking in a game, becuase those are just a way to trick people into thinking the game is longer than it really is. Fallout 3 should have had no walking and just been an endless series of dialogue and shooting. Hell, let's skip the dialogue and just do the shooting :p

They put a lot of work into the animation and set design of those QTE-enhanced cutscenes (assuming they do a good job).
    And you'll notice none of it because you're only watching and waiting for the button prompts to appear. So it's all wasted effort basically.

I suspect you might not know what a "nanosecond" is.

And again, I saw no real problem. It gives a sense of frantically trying to react. If you screw up, you screw up. And to continue the theme of pretending the other person is stupid for having a different opinion: Maybe you just suck at gaming and need an easy mode :p
    Who's pretending the other person is stupid? I'm saying a game that was almost as non-interactive as Dragon's Lair was barely a game and if that's your favorite example then you probably don't like games being interactive. But hey if ad-hominon is all you know then just say so and be done with it so everyone knows not to bother with your pointless babbling.

But who is to say what should and should not count as "essential" gameplay? If you die in combat, should the game just skip ahead and assume you passed anyway?
    Now you're just diving into the deep end of WAAAAAAAAARRRGAARRBLE.