Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Word. I was so pissed off at the end of Mass Effect 2, when my particular blend of Paragon and Renegade points made it impossible to complete Zaeed's loyalty mission because of this. I think they actively cancel each other out for some conversation options, which is bullshit.
    Well, to be fair, ME2 and ME3 at least made it so that Picard and Shaft were complementary, not competitive. Your notoriety was Picard+Shaft, and Picard points and Shaft points didn't negate one another. With a good enough save from ME1, for instance, you could Picard it up with Zaeed's loyalty mission even if you were Shaft a significant portion of your choices prior to.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Games with karma where anything between Beelzebub and Gandhi get no bonuses. I AM A PRAGMATIST, MOTHERFUCKER, WHERE IS MY +5 BONUS TO EXPEDIENCY?
    Games that make saving the little puppy the bad choice (because secretly it eats babies), and burning it with fire the good choice (same). WARN ME if you're gonna set up a "point" system then play it arbitrarily. I've no worry about the "only pure evil/good" stuff, as it's at least consistent. It's the "we are not labeling this response good or bad, it's "save a dog", you're screwed either way!" that annoys me. :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Explosive barrels..Like we are still in 95 :|
    Surely you mean not enough explosive barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Well, to be fair, ME2 and ME3 at least made it so that Picard and Shaft were complementary, not competitive. Your notoriety was Picard+Shaft, and Picard points and Shaft points didn't negate one another. With a good enough save from ME1, for instance, you could Picard it up with Zaeed's loyalty mission even if you were Shaft a significant portion of your choices prior to.
    Yeah, I'm probably remembering it wrong, but what it came down to was that a rough 50/50 split of all the morality points that were previously possible to attain in the whole game were insufficient for saving Zaeed one way or the other. Having my flawless run stained by his death really soured me, so I never completed it that time.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Surely you mean not enough explosive barrels?
    I concur, but well, the matter is entirely subjective.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm probably remembering it wrong, but what it came down to was that a rough 50/50 split of all the morality points that were previously possible to attain in the whole game were insufficient for saving Zaeed one way or the other. Having my flawless run stained by his death really soured me, so I never completed it that time.
    You remember correctly, you really did need to swing in one direction or the other fairly strongly to be able to get out of places like that. Some of the choices required a fairly high Paragon or Renegade score, so if you were playing a neutral character you'd get stuck.

But I don't agree that such a mechanic is a problem. Sitting on the fence the whole time doesn't sit well with everybody so I don't think it's a problem that you require being more Paragon or more Renegade to deal with someone who is hellbent on revenge. It stands to reason that there are cases where a totally neutral character won't be able to bring about a resolution where a more "extreme" character would. Also you could make the somewhat weaker argument that it does make your choices have a bigger impact, though it might be slightly arbitrary in this case.

You're quite right, and I would have preferred it if the option wasn't greyed out but provided a failure state, whereby trying to be all whitey knighty against Zaeed would cause him to say "Shepard, you're so full of shit" if you'd been Renegading it up previously. I guess I'm just griping about the game not abiding by my completionist nature.

Network Hub
    Really? I remember playing as Dickshep, the Shep who gets things done and balls to all else. I didn't like Zaeed, so went against what he wanted. He got stuck under rubble... and I was too evil/not good enough to let him die. Morality, what even is it. He might be an evil character, but letting him burn to death stuck under rubble is a good action?

A thing Dead Space 3 has taught me I don't like is Press E a lot QTEs. Especially ones with no warning as to whether this is a cutscene or a QTE.

I always edit my Mass Effect/2/3 saves with maximum Paragon/Renegade points, then play how I like. The lack of consequences to my actions doesn't really bother me.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I wish I had your balls for evil playthroughs. I did however punch that journalist in Mass Effect 1 and laughed heartily.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    Saving my games in My Documents. You're not a document. GTFO.
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    You prefer to have your save games located in obscure, ever changing locations so you are forced to look them up on the internet, I take it?
    Unfortunately, those two statements are not mutually exclusive. Let's see, I got

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\DEVELOPER\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\PUBLISHER\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\DEVELOPER\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\PUBLISHER\GAMETITLE

So the savegames being located in the "Documents" folder doesn't necessarily make them (much) easier to find.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    Unfortunately, those two statements are not mutually exclusive. Let's see, I got

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\DEVELOPER\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\PUBLISHER\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\DEVELOPER\GAMETITLE
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\PUBLISHER\GAMETITLE

So the savegames being located in the "Documents" folder doesn't necessarily make them (much) easier to find.
    Mod installers tend to vacillate between My Documents and where-ever the game is actually installed, too.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-in-one-place/

says it all (well almost, I've even seen savefiles in %USERPROFILE% and lucky me I don't install games under Program Files...)
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

It'd be really nice if games just put the saves in the same folder as the game.

Because, logic.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    It'd be really nice if games just put the saves in the same folder as the game.

Because, logic.
    At which point we all bitch because we have to go to twenty different places to back things up. Especially because the folder for the game isn't standardized either.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    I skimmed this thread so forgive me if it's a repeat.

My gripe is console ports to pc that remove controller support.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-in-one-place/

says it all (well almost, I've even seen savefiles in %USERPROFILE% and lucky me I don't install games under Program Files...)
    Tell me about it! When I did a backup of my savegames prior to upgrading to Windows 7, I discovered something like this:

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Saved Games
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Saved Games
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\SavedGames

No, really. Not to mention the other 30-odd locations that turned out to be hiding places for fugitive savegame files.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    At which point we all bitch because we have to go to twenty different places to back things up. Especially because the folder for the game isn't standardized either.
    Hrm...

Maybe an option to choose where saves are stored? Would make back ups easier but then that's one more dialogue box we have to click through before the install begins.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    ^Nope, it can be something like this:

Install directory: D:/Games/XYZ

Keep saved games in the same directory? <tick box>

If tickbox is, uhm, unticked then select another directory for saves.

BTW keeping saves on system drive can be pain in ass. I remember losing many Diablo II single-player characters after Win98/XP unexcepted fatal crashes that required doing format C: and reinstalling the OS. Keep your games and saves at non-system partitions, guys.

BTW: PC port of Resident Evil 3 (and 2 too, I think) have option for changing saves directory without reinstalling whole game. Cool feature.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    ^Nope, it can be something like this:

Install directory: D:/Games/XYZ

Keep saved games in the same directory? <tick box>

If tickbox is, uhm, unticked then select another directory for saves.

BTW keeping saves on system drive can be pain in ass. I remember losing many Diablo II single-player characters after Win98/XP unexcepted fatal crashes that required doing format C: and reinstalling the OS. Keep your games and saves at non-system partitions, guys.

BTW: PC port of Resident Evil 3 (and 2 too, I think) have option for changing saves directory without reinstalling whole game. Cool feature.
    And how often does the average PC gamer even SEE install prompts these days? Hell, they piss me off on the few occasions where a game has them as I prefer "Double-click whatever starts install, tvtropes, play game"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Tell me about it! When I did a backup of my savegames prior to upgrading to Windows 7, I discovered something like this:

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Saved Games
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Saved Games
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\SavedGames

No, really. Not to mention the other 30-odd locations that turned out to be hiding places for fugitive savegame files.
    The bane of our times.
    Luckily there is http://www.gamesave-manager.com/
    Steam
    Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?