Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 324
  1. #141
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    Health regen is binary. You're either at full health or you're dead.
    No it isn't. You can be anywhere between 100 and 0. Health regen only commences once damage hasn't been taken for n seconds (or whatever). And the regeneration is over x seconds, not instantaneous. I could tweak the system too to make it much harder for you (increase n to 1 minute, or 2 minutes, or until the end of this encounter).

  2. #142
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Funny enough, some D&D-style RPGs seem to get that. They have +regen items that will make you happy that you're saving a mint in health potions as you travel hither and yon, but don't work nearly fast enough to actually see you through an encounter.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #143
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    No it isn't. You can be anywhere between 100 and 0.
    By binary I meant the outcome of an encounter. You either die or are in a state with some lost health which will, most certainly, fully replenish. You'll never go into the next fight with, say, 65 HP. It'll always be 100.

    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Health regen only commences once damage hasn't been taken for n seconds (or whatever). And the regeneration is over x seconds, not instantaneous. I could tweak the system too to make it much harder for you (increase n to 1 minute, or 2 minutes, or until the end of this encounter).
    You can have your regeneration rate to be as low as 0.1 HP healed per second and have it kick in a minute after you're safe. Most players, knowing this, will camp out behind cover till they get their entire health back. No matter what, you always get all of your health back. That's my beef with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Funny enough, some D&D-style RPGs seem to get that. They have +regen items that will make you happy that you're saving a mint in health potions as you travel hither and yon, but don't work nearly fast enough to actually see you through an encounter.
    That is a good idea because it's still an option. You can chose not to equip the item and go through the game without regen health. PS:T should've used that.
    Last edited by Frostbite; 25-02-2013 at 01:32 AM.

  4. #144
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    2,147
    1. The red screen (and its variations like the jam screen, Mass Effect's veins etc) in FPS games when your health falls too low. Do the developers think I'm too stupid to track my health?
    It's nothing to do with stupidity - even the smartest man falls to tunnel vision ocasionally. Heck, perhaps even more so then others.

  5. #145
    Lesser Hivemind Node Feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by aliksy View Post
    And then at the extreme there's final fantasy style summons. Maybe it was cool the first time (probably not) but for the love of all that's holy can we move this along?
    Anyone remember doing the double summoning in FF7 with the Knights thingy? You could walk away from the computer for 5 mins and not have missed anything. My kingdom for a 'skip' function.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It's nothing to do with stupidity - even the smartest man falls to tunnel vision ocasionally. Heck, perhaps even more so then others.
    When I'm hurt my vision doesn't get bloody. Well unless I'm hit in the eyes, then again if that happened I'm probably in more trouble than just taking cover and waiting would fix.

  7. #147
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,197
    FF9 had option to turn off full summon animations.

  8. #148
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    When I'm hurt my vision doesn't get bloody. Well unless I'm hit in the eyes, then again if that happened I'm probably in more trouble than just taking cover and waiting would fix.
    No, but when you are hurt, you feel pain. The "bloody screen" is designed to compensate for the fact that no one wants to be perforated fto be notified that their health is mabye quite low.

  9. #149
    I still don't think it's a good way of doing it though.

  10. #150
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    I still don't think it's a good way of doing it though.
    Hmm. So how would you like games to draw attention to the fact that their health bar is running low?

  11. #151
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Mediocre story forced down my throat. Or really, any story forced on me. If I want something story-based, like P:T or Baldur's Gate, I will know ahead of time. I don't want cutcenes in a Heroes game. If you put a story in a game, make it optional, like in Diablo1,2. If I find it interesting, I will be searching for more notes or whatever. Extremely cheesy spiritual bullshit in Prey was particularly annoying. I enjoyed story in Thief 2, but if I didn't it's still entirely optional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Hmm. So how would you like games to draw attention to the fact that their health bar is running low?
    Why draw my attention to the fact ? If there is a health display in the game, I will keep an eye on it. Wrong question. Do you think I need special attention ?
    pass

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Why draw my attention to the fact ? If there is a health display in the game, I will keep an eye on it. Wrong question. Do you think I need special attention ?
    Pretty much this. Didn't need it in games which didn't have auto regenerating health, won't need it when I'm back to full if I don't get hit for 3 seconds.

  13. #153
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    368
    Personally I liked Dragon Age's health system: during fights (or when an enemy was within range, even if they hadn't noticed you yet) your health would not regenerate, and you had to use potions in order to top up. Once you were in the clear your health would slowly regenerate. If created enough tension during the fights themselves that it kept things exciting, while removing the need for tedious potion management and reloading.

  14. #154
    Activated Node TheIronSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    86
    Unskippable introductions. Here's to you, Borderlands 2! Especially annoying when trying to find out why my computer kept turning off every time it began to render meshes in Unreal, having to sit through a 5+ minute intro every time just to have my computer turn off again was frustrating enough to make me want to punch through my monitor.

    Also, terrible sound design. Perfect Dark Zero comes to mind. Loud music, plus incessant talking about nonsense, gunfire, radio static, explosions, a beeping objective marker, wind effects, rockets and all the other crap makes it impossible to think, let alone strategize. But I hate this game, anyway.

    Also not saving the gameplay time in save files. Especially in longer RPGs. I just want to know! Is that so hard?

  15. #155
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Personally I liked Dragon Age's health system: during fights (or when an enemy was within range, even if they hadn't noticed you yet) your health would not regenerate, and you had to use potions in order to top up. Once you were in the clear your health would slowly regenerate. If created enough tension during the fights themselves that it kept things exciting, while removing the need for tedious potion management and reloading.
    Dragon Age has a good approach in an RPG if your goal is to allow the player to use all his toys as much as possible. Certainly it makes sense to me to always remove or slow regeneration within combat. I imagine some types of game would struggle with this concept because "within combat" is not easy to define or check, but in Dragon Age it usually is.

    Still, it cannot be denied that a Dragon Age system creates a procession of effectively independent encounters. As previously noted, this allows the player to let fly with everything he has in every encounter, which can be entertaining. It also allows the designers to balance the game more tightly---my experience with Dragon Age: Origins was that it managed a more consistent encounter difficulty than most RPGs. A disadvantage of the system is that it doesn't create a long tension-filled struggle against adversity like you might want in a dungeon-exploring game. Also, without the resource-regeneration you would have more of a motivation to attempt to overcome encounters in the most efficient manner, which can be an interesting gameplay challenge. In Dragon Age, if you have defeated a particular mook squad and then you encounter a similar mook squad later, there is no real need to consider adjusting your strategy.

    In Dragon Age 2 the wave system and long cooldowns introduced some elements of resource management and efficient play. I don't think the particular implementation worked well. First of all it was often unclear how many waves would be coming, what would be in them, and when they would arrive, so it was difficult to manage the resources in the face of this uncertainty. Second, the game was set up to encourage devolving power to your AI party members, who cannot comfortably be programmed to keep their resources. To be honest I doubt this particular question was the motivation for the choice of waves and possibly wasn't even considered, so it is little surprise that the system does not work particularly well.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  16. #156
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post

    5. Quest markers. Having the option to disable them would be nice.
    But then developers would have to pay extra attention to the quest descriptions and hints. Bethesda doesn't even bother anymore. I spotted a Skyrim mod that rewrites descriptions to help people who disable quest markers.
    Dragon's Dogma features pawns who can be shared online and hired by other players. They learn about the world, quests and monsters as they travel through other games and share this information with their current owners. I think we can all agree that this is awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Probably a bit too late to quote, but: I think they also did this because the story is about the suit taking control over you (symbiosis as mentioned in the storyline). The QTEs represent you loosing control over yourself and just becoming that nanosuit.
    That seems too smart for Crytek. As far as I know they started making the levels and set pieces and only in the second part of the development they hired someone to shit out a story. Crysis 2 was the work of a studio frustrated after a decade of jungles. I believe they wanted to go full retard and fill the game with every modern blockbuster bulletpoint, including QTEs.
    Crysis 3 features only two QTEs and they're of the MASH SPACE variety.

  17. #157
    Long tutorials that you can't skip. Sure, make it mandatory the first time, I'm sure people will skip the tutorial and then complain they don't understand the controls or how to use something. But I don't want to go through it every time I start up. It destroys any hope of replaying some games for me.

  18. #158
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Long tutorials that you can't skip. Sure, make it mandatory the first time, I'm sure people will skip the tutorial and then complain they don't understand the controls or how to use something. But I don't want to go through it every time I start up. It destroys any hope of replaying some games for me.
    Related: tutorials where playing them leaves you in a different game-state to not playing them.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  19. #159
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    But then developers would have to pay extra attention to the quest descriptions and hints. Bethesda doesn't even bother anymore. I spotted a Skyrim mod that rewrites descriptions to help people who disable quest markers.
    Dragon's Dogma features pawns who can be shared online and hired by other players. They learn about the world, quests and monsters as they travel through other games and share this information with their current owners. I think we can all agree that this is awesome.
    TO be fair, even back when Bethesda cared about detailed quest logs they didn't do all that good of a job. I have vague recollections of "Turn left at the pile of rocks"... in the ashlands...

    And yeah, a lot of the stuff I read about Dragon's Dogma makes me REALLY want it. (Un)fortunately, Capcom revealed they were doing a re-release so I'll just wait for that :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  20. #160
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    TO be fair, even back when Bethesda cared about detailed quest logs they didn't do all that good of a job. I have vague recollections of "Turn left at the pile of rocks"... in the ashlands...
    Oh god some of the descriptions in Morrowind were terrible. It didn't help that at times it could take ages to get anywhere, just wandering around looking for some out of the way place with vague directions which might as well have been "Go over there somewhere you'll figure it out."

    It wouldn't kill them to write some proper descriptions though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •