CitiesXL Platinum

Just wanted to get an opinion by people that actually PLAYED it, if CitiesXL platinum actually changes/makes a difference to the old citiesXL formula?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231140/
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    For £3 I just bought it. Even if it's duff, it's only the cost of a pint to find out.

My biggest bugbear with the old Cities XL games was that to widen a road network you had to rip up a road AND demolish buildings. Which would then reduce the need to get traffic along that road...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Ugh.

No real changes.

UI is still dire, no changes there.

It's basically Cities XL 2012 + 50 new buildings. That's all. More DLC than anything else. But, well, cheap DLC I guess.

My major Cities XL functionality bugbears are still there:
    The 'filler' it adds around buidlings (grass & tress for residential, pavements for commercial etc.) still needs to be demolished before you can build metro stations or whatever on it, rather than just re-forming about added buildings. (Meaning you have to plan where you want all your metro stations, bulldoze the filler, add them and then re-lay the filler).

Roads still need to be destroyed to make them wider. New roads do not match the old ones which means you have to demolish buildings on both sides of the road to make it wider, rather than just one side and widening that way.
    Last edited by Cooper; 07-02-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I wish the developers of CitiesXL thought to set up a "city store" where users could share or possibly sell their built cities.
    Would glaly pay for something like this:
    http://xlnation.net/content/city-new...-video-trailer

Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It's basically Cities XL 2012 + 50 new buildings. That's all. More DLC than anything else. But, well, cheap DLC I guess.
    Well, that explains why XL 2012 is no longer available on the Steam store.

Obscure Node
    I've only played for a few hours, but it seems to be unchanged formula wise. What I was hoping for was that they fixed the whole lagging issue because that's what makes the game unplayable after a certain point.

I don't think they are actually capable of fixing the lag; they said it was an engine level issue and they aren't the ones responsible for the engine.

Granted, any game programmer worth their salt would at least get ahold of the engine source...

So this would be a recommendation that SimCity 4 or 5 is the better choice over CitiesXL?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Inb4 Nalano saying "4, with mods". Which I agree with. No idea what the good mods are, though.

SC5, Yet another game with a $60 US price tag...and one that forces you to be strapped to the boat anchor of an online service. This time it's Origin. I don't like it when Steam pulls this shit, Origin isn't gonna get any pass on it either. City simulators are inherently a single player experience and shoehorning it into the online realm simply reeks of an excuse to slap on oppressive DRM. Which is exactly what we got with FO:NV, Civ5 and Skyrim.

Pass.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Just wanted to get an opinion by people that actually PLAYED it, if CitiesXL platinum actually changes/makes a difference to the old citiesXL formula?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231140/
    Paging Dr. Nalano to the thread. Stat.

I repeat, Dr. Nalano to Cities XL Platinum thread, stat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    So this would be a recommendation that SimCity 4 or 5 is the better choice over CitiesXL?

4, with mods

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Inb4 Nalano saying "4, with mods". Which I agree with. No idea what the good mods are, though.
    I can't do without the following:

Network Addon Mod

Fixes bugs, improves traffic heuristics, makes pedestrian-oriented development possible, adds a plethora of highway exchanges, adds trolleys, adds roundabouts, etc.

Roadtop Mass Transit

Allows you to build high density neighborhoods with mass transit as subway and bus stops no longer take up precious real estate that could better be spent on buildings.

Add buildings, roads, graphical overhauls, et cetera, from SC4Devotion and Simtropolis to taste. Some people also swear by the Colossus Addon Mod and the Industry Doubler as interesting rebalancing of the game, but such will fuck with games that are heavy on the building addons.

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Paging Dr. Nalano to the thread. Stat.

I repeat, Dr. Nalano to Cities XL Platinum thread, stat.
    Cities XL cities make pretty skylines and horrible ground-level cityscapes.
    Last edited by Nalano; 14-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    The Real Highways mod (or Rural Highways mod) is pretty cool, too.

Also, there are tons of cool new lots on Simtropolis and Sc4devotion.