Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Introduce yourself! The Inevitable Who You Are thread!

You all knew it was coming. After many requests (well, Boris) I have decided to start one of these. And why not? We spend so much of our time committing mass murder/suicide, that we don't always get a chance to chat. At least not while no one else is talking anyway.

Feel free to say as much or as little as you like. It's not obligatory, but it might be fun, and it may help us all to get to know each other. Oh, and if you want to add something else, go nuts!

Real Name -
    Age/Location -
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? -
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? -
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? -
    Anything else you want to know? -
    Picture (if you want) -

so here's me:

Real Name - Dave (Dewi is Welsh for David)
    Age/Location - 26 Manchester UK
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - I'm an IT Tech for a finance company
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Read RPS for a while now. Found you guys on PS2 and joined, cos Giraffes, yo.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - I wasn't but now I'm trying to nuzzle my way into the Guild Wars community.
    Anything else you want to know? - In my spare time, such as it is, I am second-in-command of an events company. We do Comic Cons. Go here for our next show!
    Picture (if you want) - Linky: http://imgur.com/LPxNKdt

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Real Name - Kristian
    Age/Location - 32 / Sweden, Gothenburg
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Slaughter NC scum, also build GIS-related software for a living
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Read RPS for a while, and found the PS2 outfit
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Nope.
    Anything else you want to know? - Most of my spare time not spent playing computer games goes into dancing. Lindy Hop is my poison of choice.
    Picture (if you want) -
    EDIT: here you go. One of me doing my very favourite thing in life:

Also here, me making a funny face at another kind of event I rather enjoy:
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 14-02-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added photos, formatting.

Obscure Node
    Real Name - Juha
    Age/Location - 29, Finland
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - I am a software engineer, currently an internet crimefighter (I look for viruses, worms and all kinds of malicious stuff). Fun, but nervewrecking at times.

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - RPS has been a reliable source of gaming stuff for me for a while now. I used to play Planetside alone initially, then one day saw some guys with Giraffe camos and RPS tags. Thought 'dem were cool, so here I am.

Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Nope
    Anything else you want to know? - I really, really cannot function without coffee. Married, no kids.
    Picture - If you want, there's a picture of some guy on Twitter. @CrampedNine. Never logs in though.
    Last edited by CrampedNine; 07-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yeah, so I've dug up some photos of me doing things I rather enjoy in life:
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post

Picture (if you want) -
    EDIT: here you go. One of me doing my very favourite thing in life:

Also here, me making a funny face at another kind of event I rather enjoy:
    I'm the guy in the right of both pictures, if that wasn't clear.

Real Name - Boris (what a surprise, eh?)
    Age/Location - 26 / Netherlands
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - I decided to study human-computer interaction after getting my computer engineering degree.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Read RPS, wanted to play PS2 because PS1 was awesome. Add those two together.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Nope.

Real Name - Tom De Roeck
    Age/Location - Vienna, Austria
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Publisher/Film Producer/Director/Game Developer
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Jim
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Statecorp, the perpetuum online corporation.
    Anything else you want to know? - your face, can I drink it.
    Picture (if you want) - www.versepublications.com/tom_soviet_s.jpg
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 07-02-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Real Name - Kai
    Age/Location - 32, Norway
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Sys. Admin at a University
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Wanted to try PS2 and was delighted to see there would be a RPS outfit.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Avid Bloodbowler
    Anything else you want to know? - I go skiing sometimes

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Real Name - Alex
    Age/Location - 27 Brighton, UK
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Artist
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Wombled around RPS and the forums for a while now
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - GW2

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Real Name - Daniel
    Age/Location - 20, Sheffield UK (or Telford in the uni holidays)
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - An astrophysics degree. My evening so far has been spent coding a program to tell me what to observe from the Canaries this summer
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - The zerg make my head hurt.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - uRPS Minecraft, and dabbled in the odd MP game with peeps.
    Anything else you want to know? - I also play with real steam trains in my spare time. Yes, they do go "choo choo".
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Real Name - Christian
    Age/Location - 24, Växjö, Sweden
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - I am studying my last term of my bachelor in media and communication, been a reporter before, written about games and in the future it would be totally cool not to be unemployed.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Had plans to play PS2 since Smeds first tweet about it. I always wanted to play PS1 as this is pretty much my dream game. I was looking for a large outfit and saw an article here about it and chose my server. Was at first hoping to just have you as an backup and get my 25 strong BF3 crew from another forum to come play, but literally no one stuck with the game. Really happy to have found you guys.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Nope. Read the site since like 2010, I only read this, Giant Bomb (mostly videos though, and livestreams and bombcast) and Polygon.
    Anything else you want to know? - I like cats, hiphop and bassy electronic music of various genres. I am/has been an allright DJ. I am a large man, a bit weird and a shitty loser. I live with my girlfriend who hates my mechanical keyboard, and she is also the reason why I rarely play late at night due to our apartment being quite small. I am an allright cook and my burgers will make you come to my yard. I spent the first 12 years of my life living in the woods (in a house however) with five people in a 30 km wide area. I therefore got broadband in 2004. It was, and still is, the greatest moment of my life.
    Picture (if you want) -
    http://i.imgur.com/Y5DhtCe.jpg eatin a burg
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 08-02-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    Find me on the Steams

Age/ Location: 48, Alexandria, Scotland.
    Not slaughtering TR: House Husband (ex PC support), playing pc games, reading Military History (esp WW1)and SF/ Fantasy, listening to Industrial Metal. Trout Fishing.
    Why RPS: seemed like a good idea, was looking for outfit, regular reader of RPS, saw that RPS had outfit, joined.
    Other RPS communities: nope, this is my 1st one, but most likely not my last.
    Other details: Short, bald, pot belly, glasses, big grey beard. Fond of hats. cheeky SOB. Married, 2 adult children, 1 grandchild.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Laldy you forgot being the creator of background noise on mumble.

Real Name - Svante
    Age/Location - 27-28 something, Karlskrona, Sweden
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Smash my face into a keyboard and drink coffee for various telecom companies at the moment. Apparently that is called being a programmer or something silly like that.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - RPS being awesome, PS2 looked awesome so i thought why the hell not?
    Anything else you want to know? - I have a ferret that likes running around on my desk, more specifically my keyboard.

56426_10151166006673075_1292495928_o.jpg
    Me as Günther =)

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Real Name -
    Paul, Obviously

Age/Location -

22, East Sussex, England

W
    hen not slaughtering TR scum? -
    Just finished a degree in computer science, dissertation was about improving user experience (got a first ^.^). Looking for a job in something like games media, journalism, marketing or User experience.

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun? -
    Myself, NickWhite and MitchK were discussing the game and they suggested that they might be participating, so I decided to tag along.

Were/are you active in another RPS community? -
    Not really. I pay attention to this forum, but ive not had much other experience with RPS.

Anything else you [people probably dont] want to know? -
    My usual game tag is "Basic Paul", but I already used that one up on the prosieben version of PS2, so i had to make a new one. Feel free to just say basicpaul, basic or paul.
    I try to be as creative as possible, and enjoy things like arty, crafty, buildy kinds of stuff. Id love to do some prop design or something like that.
    Sci fi fan, but that ones likely fairly standard among us.
    I have 4 nephews and a niece, and whenever they visit I jump at the chance to play with lego with them. Also, I dont know why, but it bugs me how some people say "legos".

Picture (if you want) -
    Ill leave this one blank for now. I might add it in later on, but I cant be bothered.
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 09-02-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Network Hub
    Real Name - Tom
    Age/Location - 31, La Clusaz, French Alps
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Sell and manage ski holidays for an independent tour operator; snowboard, walk and climb mountains on work time whenever possible
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - read RPS for years, PS2 interested me from the start, seemed like the sort of place an interesting community might be found
    Anything else you want to know? - Once spring comes and I no longer have to talk to punters 10 hours a day 6 days a week you might actually hear me chat a bit more often!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Real Name - Mike
    Age/Location - 23, Leicester, UK
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Web developer, mess around with a couple of servers, libertarian activism
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - PS2 is one of the worst games to play solo. I've had good experiences with RPS in the past
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - League of Legends
    Anything else you want to know? - I think dubstep's the best thing that's ever happened to video gaming
    mickygor, Battlefield 3
    Otmer, League of Legends EUW
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Real Name - Nick

Age/Location - 28 / Gateshead, UK (orig. London)

What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Write my PhD. Title: Tourism in the Chernobyl Zone of Alientation.
    Based upon 6 months that I spent researching in the Zone, half of which as a tour guide.

(Discipline: Human Geography An incredibly diverse subject covering anything from ethnography through to demographics through to epidemiology. For my branch (cultural geography), think the cool bits of Social Science + Anthropology.)

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun?
    - Um.... I created it?
    I was in the first round of invites to the tech test and setup an RPS outfit for the few (two?) of us who were also in the tech test. (once outfit funcationality was added.) If you had told me in August that the outfit I was starting would eventually be this big & active I'd have laughed.

Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Played a lot on the RPS TF2 server when it existed. And had people playing on it. (The first time round... As well as the revival last year)

Anything else you want to know? -
    For those who might want to know about my thesis. This is the kind of thing I write:
    There remains, however, one last question with respects to Merleau-Ponty's reversibility of the flesh. This question is predicated upon the earlier assertion that the experience of exposure cannot be predicated upon conscious awareness. The flip side of which must be the assertion that radiation experiences tourist bodies in the Zone (even if it doesn't care too much about them). The assertion of experience without awareness is thus not some form of panpsychism, though I would suggest a modest form of animism; an agency located beyond the confines of human thought and action. This is in no way a claim that radiation somehow perceives our bodies or is sensate in some manner, but that it is both active and Other such that its existence cannot be subsumed into a world existing entirely and only of / for Being. I follow Irigaray's critique of Merleau-Ponty's flesh which states that the flesh finds the world not only too accessible, but, and moreover, a world only of and for the embodied subject. Instead we might find a world as the harbour of alterity for the subject, and in doing so we find cause to reverse the asymmetry of the reversibility of the flesh. The reversiblity of the flesh asks that the trees vision of the painter who sees the trees is never 'realisable in fact', and in reversing this, then, are not embodied subjects in the Zone the never realised in fact feeling of the irradiating of radiation as radiation irradiates embodied subjects?

If you pay UK taxes: Thank you. You have helped support me for the past four years to write this kind of stuff. And I love you for it.

Fuck knows what I'm gonna do when I finish. Get a lectureship I hope, because there's bugger all I can do in the real world with that.
    Last edited by Cooper; 09-02-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Age/Location:
    30 years old / living in Aarhus, Denmark.

What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum?
    As little as possible!

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun?
    QuantaCat invited me one early morning on Esamir

Were/are you active in another RPS community?
    Not active anywhere else, i didnt even know of rockpapershotgun.com before i joined.

Anything else you want to know?
    Avid Quake III player, mainly rocketarena, played Counter-Strike 1.6 in a top 10 swedish clan, which i why i speak fluent swedish, though with a bit of a foreigners accent.

Picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/scTo0WB.jpg
    Last edited by mindburst; 10-02-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Tag - thejgman
    Real Name
    - Joel

Age/Location - 23 / London
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Unemployment! In the mean time, I like to do creative writing, play video games and hunt down mars bars. Before unemployment, I got my Ba in Cultural Studies (a side discipline to sociology and anthropology, but with a particular focus on the product of culture and how that feeds into itself). My dissertation was entitled "Who Controls The Internet?" and investigated the conflicts between user/producer (both in meaning and in application) from conception to consumption.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - When I joined the beta in early September, the RPS outfit hadn't been going long, but I knew to join it. Those halcyon days where Galaxies were spawns...
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Minecraft (uRPS), on Star Trek Online for a few weeks, then played with a good few people with Mass Effect 3 and a smattering of other games.
    Anything else you want to know? - One of the earliest games I remember being bought specifically for me was for my 3rd or 4th birthday and was Super Mario Bros. 3, a game I love and can still enjoy. I grew up in a house lucky enough to have both Sega and Nintendo products and didn't really get into PC gaming until 10 years ago (I took a short break when I got my 360 and Wii as my PC was beyond poor at that point).
    Picture - I can't find one externally hosted, so just click on my twitter page and then again on my face. It's the one wearing a sombrero.

Cooper (or is that Nick now? What to do?), I would love to talk to you about human geography. I did geography through sixth form and for a semester at uni (but I left). Bar the odd thing, I always preferred human over physical and I think it's why I've been attracted to similar things since.