Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laldy View Post
    pfffft, kindergarten "time played" numbers. Worry when you've spent 1140 hours on 1 game....(Civ V)
    Well, now I don't feel so bad!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    pfffft, kindergarten "time played" numbers. Worry when you've spent 1140 hours on 1 game....(Civ V)
    Heh, I'm grateful Steam never used to track played time accurately. My old xfire profile's just as worrying xD
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Network Hub
    Pfah! LaKroy's approaching 2k hours of PlanetSide 2, you amateur. Keep up!

Also, I know one individual who has played Pokemon games for a combined total of ~6000-7000 hours, if that counts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    6-7000 hours? That's like working an office job for four years! How does one achieve that?! Why does one achieve that?! Has this individual sought help from an addiction charity?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    6-7000 hours? That's like working an office job for four years! How does one achieve that?! Why does one achieve that?! Has this individual sought help from an addiction charity?

It's possible that 6-7k is an overestimate, but 5-6k is a very solid guess. This guy just spent a lot of time with Pokemon sorting of *hanging around*. You know, he'd be watching TV, or waiting for a train, just playing some Pokeymans in the background. That time added up over the years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fish food carl View Post
    It's possible that 6-7k is an overestimate, but 5-6k is a very solid guess. This guy just spent a lot of time with Pokemon sorting of *hanging around*. You know, he'd be watching TV, or waiting for a train, just playing some Pokeymans in the background. That time added up over the years.
    How many years? I'm a little concerned about the amount of time I spend on PS2 but this is another league.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    How many years? I'm a little concerned about the amount of time I spend on PS2 but this is another league.
    I'm not certain, but I'd say about 10 or 11 years. The most interesting thing is, you hear about the Pokemon and you think of some deranged obsessive, hidden in their hive of memorabilia. In truth, he's a dedicated and hard-working athlete, did well in school, who found time time to play other games AND did volunteer work. He just had Pokemon going a lot during the day.

I don't know if he's still as hooked as he was. He discovered DOTA and Magic: The Gathering, and took to them with gusto.

Activated Node
    Never noticed this thread before...

Real Name - Andy

Age/Location - 37 / Coven (a small village in Staffordshire N of Wolverhampton)

What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - I work for the company the runs the HMRC's computer systems. I'm the tech lead for one of the many teams that support/maintain/fix the live systems, plus a little dev work to spice things up a bit. So, basically, if you get falsely arrested for tax evasion, it's probably my fault...
    As well as playing computer games, I go to a boardgaming club once a week.

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Joined PS2 in the beta (played PS quite a bit), but never played that much as it's not great fun without an outfit. Heard about the outfit and eventually got around to giving PS2 another go back in June/July.

Were/are you active in another RPS community? - No

Anything else you want to know? -
    Given that I played PS quite a lot and I've been playing PS2 since beta, and other FPS games for over a decade. Why am I so terrible?

Picture (if you want) - erm.... no.

welcome sir!

Network Hub
    Real Name - Craig
    Age/Location - 27 / Southgate (North London)

What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Recently returned to studying after living in the Czech Republic for 3 years. I enjoy a good board game and reading.

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Internet search was how I found it but was interested by the fact the RPS community occasionally has real life socials.

Were/are you active in another RPS community? - nope
    Anything else you want to know? - I am new to PS2 and the big draw for me is team play and being a useful cog in getting things done, so what is the best way to regularly play as part of an organised squad? Also having not played a fps for a while I need to learn to aim again so whilst supporting my team as medic/engineer appeals I worry (based on zergsperience so far) I will end up being a heal bot and not shooting much, should I consider HA?

Looking forward to playing with you all.

Craig

The most organised nights are our StratGir-Nights every Thursday.
    The class-choice is really personal AND situation-based (at least for me). If you want to support you could go for Medic; at least it's a Combat Medic so you can shoot some guys in the face with a Medic, too. As Heavy you'll have a greater chance at 1v1 engagements, but as Medic you're gaining xp much faster if you're good at supporting.
    Engie could be a good choice, too - I played mostly that in the beginning.

EDIT: and of course - welcome here
    Planetside 2: Qw33r / Qw33rT;
    Steam: Qw33r

Medics make a lot of certs and their weapon class (Assault Rifles) is really good. Better than the Carbines that Engineers get.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Engineers give you quite a few options - dropping ammo, supporting MAXes, repairing turrets/terminals and complimenting vehicle play, if that's something you are interested in. But to support an infantry group nothing is as good as a medic. Watching a whole squad get blown to bits, then popping out of your hidey hole and bringing every one of them back to life is great.

So welcome, Kreggurree! Have some fun and you will learn the rest of the game as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by kreggurree View Post
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - nope
    Anything else you want to know? - I am new to PS2 and the big draw for me is team play and being a useful cog in getting things done, so what is the best way to regularly play as part of an organised squad? Also having not played a fps for a while I need to learn to aim again so whilst supporting my team as medic/engineer appeals I worry (based on zergsperience so far) I will end up being a heal bot and not shooting much, should I consider HA?
    Play whichever class appeals to you currently.

I'm one of the most balanced player in the outfit as far as class uses is concerned (most used class at 24% playtime, least used at 8% playtime) but I will usually have a class that I'm currently very fond of. For example, because i was rusty regarding multiplayer FPS but still wanted to help the team, I started as an Infiltrator. I loved being sneaky and hacking stuff behind the enemy back. Played that almost exclusively for 70-80h. Then i started to want to see others stuff, and I played almost exclusively Heavy. I've almost never played infiltrator since i switched to Heavy. But now, I've also dropped the heavy, and I'm currently on a LA binge. I'm pretty sure i will switch again, maybe come back to a previous class, because every hundred hour in the game give you new insights into what each class can do.

You shouldn't really listen to people to decide which class to play. A lot of people have a favorite class, and hate a few others, but no one agree on which is which. All classes are useful, all have their undying fans, and also their relentless detractors. It's 100% related to personal preferences.

So just try all the classes a few times, and a few of them should "feel right" to you. Focus on them, try to understand what you can do with them and you will probably notice one or 2 are the ones that you currently feel confident/happy to play. Later on, after dozens or hundred hours of play may want to revise your choices, and try some new things. But you will have learned a lot in the meantime, and be more able to know what to do with each class.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 21-12-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Hi chaps!

Picked up PS2 on Sunday and wondered where it had been all my life. I've just got back into PC gaming after a five-year hiatus of Xbox loneliness. I cut my teeth on Counterstrike in the 1.3+ days, back when games were hard and online communities were shunned by the "real" folk. Nowadays I've spent so long with auto-aimed thumbsticks and perks and killstreaks that I've forgotten how to play real games...

I joined [RPS] after two hours of playing the game and realising it sucked without people to play with. Hopefully I'll be a fairly active player (if I ever learn how to get enough XP to buy anything reasonable...a sniper that isn't a 1HK to the head? You have to be f'king kidding me...)

Real Name - Alasdair
    Age/Location - 24/East Mids
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Talk rubbish, mostly
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - Random Reddit thread/appreciation for the website.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Nope
    Anything else you want to know? - How the hell do I play PS2 without dying every twenty seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by qpop;403311
    [COLOR=#000000
    Anything else you want to know? - How the hell do I play PS2 without dying every twenty seconds! [/COLOR]
    Positioning! PS2 is unlike many other FPS due to the large number of players in that you need to be hyper aware of what is around you at all times. It's almost a twitch-shooter that requires patience, which is something of an oxymoron.

But positioning is the key. I have average aim, but after learning where and how to position myself my, KDR (I use this as a personal measure, by no means a comparison to other players) has increased between 2-4x as a heavy (more so as a MAX) over the last month.

Honestly, the first 20 levels are a nightmare, as you learn which class you enjoy, and start to get certs to buy things like weapons and utilities. After that, it's much more downhill. It's all experience so try to take away more from the experience than trying to be good at the game to start with.

time and experience make it easier

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Welcome to RPS, qpop!

Quote Originally Posted by qpop View Post
    a sniper that isn't a 1HK to the head? You have to be f'king kidding me...
    First, sniping isn't very useful for the team in this game due to the sheer number of players, revives and quick respawns. You won't be able to kill enemies fast enough for sniping to be a viable alternative to playing a close quarters infiltrator, medic, MAX or other squad centered class.

If you do want to pursue sniping for solo or casual team play, the XM98 is the basic bolt action sniper rifle (1 hit kill to the head) for the Vanu. It costs 100 certs to unlock.

Anything else you want to know? - How the hell do I play PS2 without dying every twenty seconds!
    find someone who is good, follow them.. accidentally shoot them in the back a couple of times.. learn not to follow directly behind them

sticking to the squad leader, the star on the mini map, can be helpful, you'll never be told off for being in the wrong place to start..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    One major thing for me was learning to pick my battles. I don't give my position away unless I think I have the drop on someone.

Stick to your squad and platoon like glue, obey your squad/ platoon leader. The technical term for being on your own/ freelancing in this game is "victim".
    Even if you are careful, positioning yourself carefully, choosing your targets with care, staying with your squad, you will die. Often. Frequently with no clue as what the hell happened when you die. Learn to accept that dying is just part of the game, and that the only penalty is the 20 second wait till you can respawn, assuming that a medic doesn't get you up almost immediately. K/D ratio means fuck all, and most of the other measurables as almost as useless.

Oh, and laugh at my jokes. Or Else....
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.