Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    Real Name - Anders (I go by Andy in English most of the time. It get's tiring with people wanting to know how to "pronounce it correctly".)
    Uhm, I can only think of one way to pronounce "Anders" - I can actually think of more ways to pronounce "Andy"... Admittedly it might not have a Norwegian accent when I say it, but of all the Scandinavian names to confuse you, that seems quite far down the list O_o
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

I *think* I know how to pronounce it, but Im very exposed to scandinavian culture.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Did a tagcloud for the last 12 months.
    Find me on the Steams

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Uhm, I can only think of one way to pronounce "Anders" - I can actually think of more ways to pronounce "Andy"... Admittedly it might not have a Norwegian accent when I say it, but of all the Scandinavian names to confuse you, that seems quite far down the list O_o
    The d is silent in Norwegian, and the vowels don't correspond correctly to the English version (in fact, in most cases your version of "a" is written as "æ" in Norwegian. But there are inconsistencies on both sides). Also most things we say have a completely different intonation.
    Last edited by Orius; 10-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRed View Post
    Seeing Portishead, Bowie, Blondie, PJ Harvey et al next to Girls Aloud makes me feel a little bit sad. That said, I did also remember Garbage. 6 months? I probably haven't put one of their albums on in any form for 10 years. I'm pretty certain we used to fancy her in school. Along with Sleeper's Louise Wener. Jesus that was ages ago.
    Lauren Laverne was my big crush at school.

What that cloud doesn't include is my Kenickie binge from early 2012. The reason I chose the 6 month tag cloud is because the 12 month one is just KENICKIE taking up half the space. Can't even read some of the others...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Real Name - Adam
    Age/Location - 26, Milton Keynes
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Planetary research/space instrumentation, looking at Mars.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - via PCG, State, etc. I am a PS1 veteran and (*claim to fame*) featured in Quinns retrospective on the PS1 TR warpgate lock that was posted on RPS ages ago. I also used to play with Jim et al. in EVE, so figured there would be a good outfit here.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - See above
    Anything else you want to know? - All the things
    Picture (if you want) - tash1.jpg It's all my own hair.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Did a tagcloud for the last 12 months.
    I don't think I know any of those artists...

Please keep the music to the radio thread.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The d is silent in Norwegian, and the vowels don't correspond correctly to the English version (in fact, in most cases your version of "a" is written as "æ" in Norwegian. But there are inconsistencies on both sides). Also most things we say have a completely different intonation.
    Silent D? What letters don't become soft/silent in Scandinavian languages?! And I have a fair exposure to Swedish, so I guess I am cheating a bit in saying "it's not that hard to do"...

Real Name - Blaž
    Age/Location - 22/Slovenia
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Studying to become an engineer.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - I read about it on RPS.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community? - Nope.
    Anything else you want to know? - Something, something, something, giraffe.

Network Hub
    Ah well, Cooper.. Now you're talking. PVC!

Network Hub
    Real Name - Ben

Age/Location - Thirty-something
    from the UK

What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - My day job is helping to diagnose and fix malfunctioning satellites, which is kinda like being an aircraft repairman, except the machine is 35000km above your head. And it can't stop. And you can't touch it. So, not like an aircraft repairman at all. I also do the math for the designs of scientific satellites.

What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - I got in to the Planetside 2 beta, and was kinda having fun just running around and getting lost, when I read Jim post about the RPS Outfit. Since then, I have become a very successful purple giraffe and people hardly ever look at me strangely for saying that.

Were/are you active in another RPS community? - No, though I though about getting in to the DayZ group, and still might when the standalone version comes out.

Anything else you want to know? -
    I'm so associated with flying scythes that people get freaked out that there's a two-legged anthropomorphic version of my avatar that actually walks around places.

Silent D? What letters don't become soft/silent in Scandinavian languages?! And I have a fair exposure to Swedish, so I guess I am cheating a bit in saying "it's not that hard to do"...
    Most of them don't, it's just a matter of specific placement and other arbitrary rules. I'm convinced it must be a pain in the hole to learn for a non-native.

just a tiiiiiiny bit of Rammstein! not cool man! MORE... MOOOOORE!!!!11oneone

Yeah you would think that, wouldn't you. But no. It can be misunderstood. I'm also known as Andres and Andreas. But when I said the pronouncing thing I meant that some people think that because the name is foreign, it is also pronounced in some sexy, exotic way. Which it isn't.

EDIT. Oh and also, since Orius clearly is from the south, or has been taught by southerners. The d in Anders is NOT silent when pronounced in my glorious North-Western Norwegian accent It is often silent down south, but to hell with them! They're all probably Vanu hippies down there.
    Last edited by Anders; 11-02-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: wanna add shit, yo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The south of a country speaking funny? Seems to be a universal problem!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    PS2 Char
    Tuimic
    Real Name
    Stephen
    Age/Location
    25/Dublin, Ireland
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum?
    Embedded System Software Engineer for almost two years now. I program and maintain firmware for server systems mostly. I've a pretty active life now too so I don't get nearly as much time to play games as I used to.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun?
    Wanted to play Planetside and was already using the forums. I played WoW for years and being active in a community there spoiled me to the point where I don't like playing online games without at least kind of knowing who I'm playing with, hence why I don't play games on xbox live without friends.
    Were/are you active in another RPS community?
    Played a little TF2 but it wasn't my thing.
    Anything else you want to know?
    I wish there were more hours in the day?
    Picture
    197413_10151120771721964_892425578_n.jpg
    That was apparently a "whiskey" cocktail, it was not what I was expecting at all.

Obscure Node
    Real Name - Ioan
    Age/Location - 27/UK
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Writing up my thesis for a PhD in theoretical particle physics, and also job-hunting for the near future.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - I read about it on RPS, and was looking for a game that would be less stressful than Dota2.
    Anything else you want to know? Anyone want to give me a job?

Quote Originally Posted by DrFractal View Post
    Real Name - Ioan
    Age/Location - 27/UK
    What do you do when not slaughtering TR scum? - Writing up my thesis for a PhD in theoretical particle physics, and also job-hunting for the near future.
    What brought you to Rock Planet Shotgun/Rock Traitor Shotgun? - I read about it on RPS, and was looking for a game that would be less stressful than Dota2.
    Anything else you want to know? Anyone want to give me a job?
    You want a postdoc or a private job?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Silent D? What letters don't become soft/silent in Scandinavian languages?!
    None of them. Scandinavians only use letters for writing - in person they just stare silently at each other.