Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Sooooo,

I've been and played a few time with you guys - tonight being an especially good laugh - so I thought I'd drop in and say "hi" a bit more formally

Age / Location 38 pushing 39 / Newcastle Upon Tyne (although I'm not a native Geordie. But I did marry one)
    What Do I do when not slaughtering TR scum? Scientist working in the Pharmaceutical industry. No, not that one. Father to a 2 year girl who has suddenly flipped the switch labelled "terrible twos". To be honest it fills most of my time. PC gamer for a great many years, pre-dating the original Playstation. Hey, I remember playing Wolfenstien before Doom was released. and the Original X-COM. Is that something to be proud or ashamed off?
    What brought me to RPS - I've been reading the site for a couple of years, but started PS2 a couple of weeks ago after getting a bright shiny new PC (my last PC purchase for a very long time I suspect) and dithering on what FPS to play. Normally it would Battlefield but the monumental cock up they appear to have made of BF4 put e right off that, and Titanfall hasn't really grabbed me. Love PS2, although I'm a noob, still working it out and haven't got any decent weapons yet.

I'm on the server as Sorbitolus as my Sorbicol character is on the Cobalt server. So yeah, Hi, nice to meet you all etc etc, hope to see you on the battlefield soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorbicol View Post
    <..>I'm a noob, still working it out and haven't got any decent weapons yet.
    Once you grow out of being a noob, you'll know, that most weapons are decent. You just need to find a playstyle.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorbicol View Post
    PC gamer for a great many years, pre-dating the original Playstation. Hey, I remember playing Wolfenstien before Doom was released. and the Original X-COM. Is that something to be proud or ashamed off?
    Geek Pride! I've been there too, marvelling at the "3D" of Castle Wolfenstein. Playing X-COM (or UFO, as it was called in Sweden) while listening to E-Type for so long that I still to this day cannot hear some of his songs without thinking of X-COM. Good times, good times...

Welcome aboard!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Network Hub
    Oh golly, I feel a nostalgia rush coming on - I think the first PC game I remember playing is probably the shareware episode of Catacomb - Abyss. I never had the money to actually buy games, so I had to content myself with demos, such as Terror From The Deep and Tornado.
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Castle of Widns, was another classic, one of my first PC games. Wonderful little shareware gem.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Network Hub
    Now look what you've done, I'm lost in a nostalgia wormhole. Tubular Worlds, Hocus Pocus, Epic Pinball, Halloween Harry, pretty much all of Safari Software's output but especially Highway Hunter and Seek and Destroy* (takes breath), Tyrian, Raptor, Terminal Velocity, Jazz Jackrabbit, Heretic, Blake Stone and too many others too mention**. Classics all, and formed my love of gaming. We never had a soundcard on my dad's 486, which somehow made games like Hocus Pocus and Tubular Worlds seem a whole lot more magical.

*if anyone knows how to get hold of these two, please let me know as they're two games I'm very fond of. I'm still kicking myself for never buying Seek and Destroy.
    ** like One Must Fall: 2097. How did I forget that?
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator

For all you XCOM lovers, Goldhawk's reboot Xenonauts should be out in less than two months. Full disclosure: the studio's owner is a friend of mine.

Welcome Sorbicol, I look forward to fighting you/with you when I eventually forgive the game and reinstall it!

Tried Xenonauts in the early beta (or whatever they called it) and it was actually pretty good even then. It does suffer from some of the same problems that original XCOM had, namely the fact that you have to step through each turn of an encounter even if it is pratically already won, just in order to find that last bloody alien who is hiding in a cupboard somewhere. Unless that's changed recently.

Activated Node
    Thanks for the welcome I wasn't really trying to create a nostalgia trip for all of you, and in case my gaming life really started in the 1980s incessantly playing a mixture of Elite and Chuckie Egg on our Acorn Electron. But that would make me really old so I kept quiet

as as for Xenonaunts, I funded this at kickstarter and I'm really looking forward to playing around with the finished product.

Chuckie Egg and Astroblast on the Dragon 32. You aren't that old around here

Chuck Rock, Lemmings, Silkworm, Disposable Hero, the Dizzy series, Captain Planet and Bart Simpson vs. The Space Mutants all on the Amiga 500. That and my visits to a friends to play Wolfenstein.

Those were the first games that I remember, but what really got me into gaming was Half Life and the original Dungeon Keeper. Those 2 remain my 2 favourite games of all time!
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    My first games were Dungeon Keeper and Age of Empires, my dad didn't purchase a PC until 97 (but then he spent 3 grand on the thing, state of the art 166MHz processor overclocked to 200MHz, omfg! A disk so large it had to be partitioned so Win95 could grasp it, a colossal 3gb). Kinda cemented my tastes, most of the games I've played to date have been RTS', with DK and AoE still at the top of both my most played and most recently played.

But if RPS permits it, my Megadrive nostalgia is as potent
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Megadrive! Toejam and Earl was my favourite.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Joust on the Atari 7600

Playing Resident Evil on my dads pc after my older cousin brought the game, his PC wasnt good enough..
    Those fucking dogs gave me nightmares for months.

Paperboy 2 on the Amiga, World Cup '98 on the PS1 and Earthworm Jim for the PC. Decent introduction to the world of video games.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    My earliest gaming memories were of Jet Set Willy and a boat based shooting game that I can't remember the name of on my friend's Amstrad monochrome CPC464. First game I ever owned was Sensible World of Soccer, kindly bought for me by my mum. Banana shots for the win!
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator

I played "Ballooning" and Jetpack on a ZX48k Spectrum. Loading from Tape makes bitching about the Indar load time seem silly. Also the Java remake of Chuckie Egg disagrees with my muscle memory, and I'm sure the blue things move in different patterns.

My first game, that I actually owned, was Elite on a BBCB. It was the tape version, rather than floppy disk, and would take about an hour to load - if it ever did. Knocking the table would mess it up, or it would just crap out.

Beyond that, the first game that actually took over my life was X-Wing. I purchased it (well, my parents did) from Dixons, along with a joystick, for over £50. It came on several floppy disks and included the expansions.

Activated Node
    My earliest coherent gaming memories were of Super Mario 64 and Majora's mask. I do have vague remnants of a memory and a SNES but the was even more before my time..