Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Atari 2600 for me. When I went from that to a master system my mind was blown. Then seeing the megadrive I figured there was no need to make anymore systems since how could it ever look better than 16-bit? That pattern held true til this gen when we all realised that its not very much better than last gen at all.

Or I might just be a grumpy old git.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Earliest game would either be Rogue or Pitfall on an IBM PC XT my mum got from work. I remember Rogue being absurdly complex and never firguring out what button let me drink things (and also wondering what on earth 'quaff' meant).

We later got a PS2 on which I played Lemmings and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (platformer, not adventure). We also had some old King and Space quest Sierra games, one of the early MS flight sims, a sub-hunter game called Wolfpack and a gloriously ugly Magenta-heavy CGA fighter sim game I can't remember the name of.

Mostly as a kid though I played games at friends houses; spent a lot of time on the Amiga, N64 and later Playstation.

The first game I ever bought for myself was Dungeon Keeper, after playing it on a friends Amiga and once we finally got a new PC at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Obscure Node
    Ooh, I should probably put something here, shouldn't I?

Well, I'm Kei, a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶c̶o̶h̶o̶l̶i̶c̶, I'm 33 years old, live in Edinburgh with my wife, mad spaniel and 3 cats. Speaking of which, does anyone want a pair of cats? We inherited two a year and a bit ago and have been trying to find them a home since. Expecting our first child in September, which is a curious mix of exciting and soul-crushing terror. I have a wide array of extremely bad jokes (as you may have already noticed on Mumble) and am completely willing to share them, regardless of appropriateness or context.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I seem to recall my family owned a Spectrum back in the 80's, but my first proper gaming memory is playing some two-player basketball game on my dad's Amiga (or possibly 286 PC?).

But my God, Chuck Rock, that was a real classic! James Pond got a lot of playtime too, and Moonstone, both on Amiga 500.

Oh, and hi Kei!
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Oh I forgot about James Pond! Everyone knows James Pond 2: Robocod, but few remember the original, cleaining up the oceans in such memorable levels as "From Sellafield, With Love" (I was young, and I remember that level to be a beast!).

A few years later on the amazing PC we had (133MHz, 32MB RAM, 4GB HDD, voodoo GFX) playing X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter. Bought a flight stick just for that. Amazing game. As was X-Wing Alliance, at least for me, as I didnt have the internet then and online gaming was an unknown concept to me.
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    X-Wing and Tie Fighter were so great.

Formative game experiences: endlessly playing the demo level of Worms with my cousins and brother/sister (probably also my uncle and aunt and my parents) and laughing for hours. Classic Gameboy games like Donkey Kong (when he was the bad guy), Super Mario Land, Pokemon etc. Rogue Squadron (the original, on-railsy one). The first Discworld point and click game (not the sequels with the overstated art style, that doesn't work).

Tried to get into my cousin's copy of James Pond on the Gameboy and failed because it was SO HARD. Fun trying though. Same with Jellyboy.

If you can guess my age from all that you win a biscuit.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 07-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    My earliest gaming memory is probably dungeons and dragons:warriors of the eternal sun on the megadrive, played on a borrowed console from a neighbour. I still remember my surprise and excitement the first time one of my party said "yeah! " after a fight - he just levelled up and that was a totally new concept to me! I'll also never forget playing the first three levels of commandos: behind enemy lines on the computer in the careers office at school because it somehow featured on a cd about army careers (not such legit marketing now that I think about it). And there were all those after school visits to my friend Tim's house to play whatever he had going on his amiga at the time (some awesome ww1 dogfighter, mortal kombat, worms, a-train). It was really quite late before we got a pc at home and later still before the Internet arrived. But oh the excitement when I played my first game of age of empires with OTHER HUMANS! Playing minoans and being immediately told to chop wood as we went for a naval rush but then having to quit because my mum wanted to make a phone call, or maybe she was just anxious that she wasn't able to receive one -I forget.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keios View Post
    Ooh, I should probably put something here, shouldn't I?

Well, I'm Kei, a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶c̶o̶h̶o̶l̶i̶c̶, I'm 33 years old, live in Edinburgh with my wife, mad spaniel and 3 cats. Speaking of which, does anyone want a pair of cats? We inherited two a year and a bit ago and have been trying to find them a home since. Expecting our first child in September, which is a curious mix of exciting and soul-crushing terror. I have a wide array of extremely bad jokes (as you may have already noticed on Mumble) and am completely willing to share them, regardless of appropriateness or context.
    You missed out that it's also regardless of whether those in Mumble want to hear . I'm always happy to add new, increasingly terrible jokes to my repertoire however.

Nice to see another Scot (and fellow Edinburger)! I'd wager a mild alcohol addiction is part of the course.

Obscure Node
    Actually, it's the great irony of my life that I moved to Scotland and all but quit drinking. Before I moved up here I was managing a pub in Bath, which I lived above and all my friends drank in. That combined with being paid in cash put me right on the verge of functional alcoholism.

Keios: I used to run a couple of bars in Colchester, and went through a similar cash-poor, hangover-rich phase.

Worth it.

123876473862.jpg
    Getting the thread back on topic..just for the heck of it. Me on the right, for what it's worth.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWChristine View Post
    123876473862.jpg
    Getting the thread back on topic..just for the heck of it. Me on the right, for what it's worth.
    Is that a frozen waterfall?

123876473862.jpg
    Wow that looks so amazing, I saw something slightly similar (though less impressive) in Wales last winter. Nature is fantastic at doing things like that, even moreso in Canada judging from that picture!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Wow that looks so amazing, I saw something slightly similar (though less impressive) in Wales last winter. Nature is fantastic at doing things like that, even moreso in Canada judging from that picture!
    Mr. Eclectic: Yep, frozen waterfall! And yea, Nick I agree! The world is really such a beautiful place, and as much of a pain as winter can be, I always miss it (even when we had a blizzard and another huge storm after Spring was supposed to have started!). Some of my favorite times are at night just after a snow fall, everything is quiet and wonderful!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Mr. Eclectic: Yep, frozen waterfall! And yea, Nick I agree! The world is really such a beautiful place, and as much of a pain as winter can be, I always miss it (even when we had a blizzard and another huge storm after Spring was supposed to have started!). Some of my favorite times are at night just after a snow fall, everything is quiet and wonderful!
    This is actually exotic to me. We don't have actual winters here, more like colder autumns.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    This is actually exotic to me. We don't have actual winters here, more like colder autumns.
    You should definitely take a winter vacation! You've got a lot of great places up North to choose from, and from my personal experience I found Germany, specifically the Bavarian area and into Austria to be absolutely beautiful!

123876473862.jpg

Needs more jpeg :P

Beautiful frozen waterfall though. We don't get those. Nor winter. Nor hills big enough to form waterfalls.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Boris, I've seen cafés put tables etc out on the frozen canals over there - which is rather nice!

This year, there were only 10 days where the temperature dropped below freezing. And then only at night.

I like cold winters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    If the Netherlands has a cold enough winter they run the Elfstedentocht which is something I would absolutely love to participate in even though I'm not terribly good at skating. Just sounds like amazing fun.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!