Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

UE4 horror game from Condemned and FEAR devs. Written by Jessica Chobot.

Daylight is a horror game featuring a procedurally-generated environment. With only the light of a cell phone to guide them, players will navigate the halls of a dark building as a woman who’s just woken up. Every experience will be different as rooms are randomly generated, and players will only learn about the game’s story via clues they discover as they explore.

IGN article, includes screenshots. Made by Zombie studios, who got a healthy injection of ex-Monolith staff over the last couple of years. I see the guys in charge of FEAR's ghosts are on board lol

At DICE, IGN had a chance to speak with Zombie creative director and studio head Jared Gerritzen as well as Jessica Chobot, who wrote the game.

Disclaimer: Jessica Chobot is an industry personality who hosts The Weekly 'Wood, Strategize and Mix’d Reviews for IGN and works independently as a voice actor and television host for G4, Microsoft, and more. Jessica does not write about games for IGN and will not be involved in our coverage of Daylight.

I had a dream starring Chobot a couple of weeks ago and then I was in love with her for a couple of hours.

Anyway, Daylight will be released via Steam, as Valve has allowed Zombie to circumvent the Steam Greenlight process. The game will cost $20 or less and will be released some time in 2013.

Gerritzen explained that Zombie will be taking an episodic approach to future Daylight content. “After we release Daylight, it’s going to be considered Chapter 1,” he said. “And Chapter 2 and more chapters will come out, and each chapter will not be a reboot or anything. It’ll just be more systems that get added to the bucket and more story elements and all that.”

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Zombie studios
    Untitled-1.jpg10characters
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Sounds like a really interesting concept. I'll keep an eye out.

Although, the FEAR devs never really struck me as being able to do anything "scary", and I suspect that is a big part of this game.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Considering the best part of FEAR was shooting things, I dunno how it'll play out on that front, but the combination of people forming the dev team as well as the idea makes me at least a little bit interested. I await to see more information!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Although, the FEAR devs never really struck me as being able to do anything "scary", and I suspect that is a big part of this game.
    The screenshots remind me of Condemned filthy atmosphere, and that's a good thing.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Seems like a worthwhile idea. I like procedural generation, but I'm not sure it will add much if the clues reveal the same story again and again. Maybe the story isn't the point. I do have a fondness for Zombie.

I had a dream starring Chobot a couple of weeks ago and then I was in love with her for a couple of hours.
    Usually when I experience this it's about women I've dated or wanted to, uh... date, but when I was in high school I dreamed I was in love with an obnoxious, kind of fugly classmate I really didn't care for at all, and the feeling lingered for days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Will it include little ghost girls :D

Isn't Chobot the one from ME3 that you can have sex with? That alone induces horror to me. So well done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    The screenshots remind me of Condemned filthy atmosphere, and that's a good thing.

What screenshots,do you mind posting them ??

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Isn't Chobot the one from ME3 that you can have sex with? That alone induces horror to me. So well done.
    Yup. She got famous by licking portable consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Yup. She got famous by licking portable consoles.
    Well as far as licking things to get famous goes, that's decent.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Well as far as licking things to get famous goes, that's decent.
    haha, you guys always look at the bright sight. But you are right in a way. I blame the stupid nerds that cater to attention whores.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    She seems like a nice enough girl, but she can be rather irksome at times. I remember seeing a feature where she lamented the fate of women in the industry, how they were only valued for their looks and were constantly the victim of sexual comments on everything they post. I'm sorry, but you don't get to launch your career by licking a psp, then complain about being treated different from the boys. That is not how it works.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    She seems like a nice enough girl, but she can be rather irksome at times. I remember seeing a feature where she lamented the fate of women in the industry, how they were only valued for their looks and were constantly the victim of sexual comments on everything they post. I'm sorry, but you don't get to launch your career by licking a psp, then complain about being treated different from the boys. That is not how it works.
    Actually, that seems like it gives her a pretty damned good excuse to complain. Your summation of her agument perfectly fits that

She felt that women in the industry were only valued for their looks, so she played them up to get given an opportunity. And she thinks that is messed up.

And honestly, I kind of agree with her if this thread is any indication. Rather than discuss the game, people feel the need to call her a whore and keep making sexual comments.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh please. One guy called her an attention whore. That's quite a leap you made there. And don't go about trying to say she licked a psp ironically. "Oh, do you see that? Come and see the sexism inherent in the system! "
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

I never saw the actual PSP licking, but I can, without a shadow of a doubt, say it fell into one of three categories:

1. Her employers told her to do it because her employers wanted something sexy. She did it because she wanted to keep her job
    2. She did it to get noticed. This is an industry where the consumer-base are notoriously mysoginistic assholes. She felt that her best approach would be to pander to them until she was in a better position to try and argue for change.
    3. She herself did it because she wanted attention and has since "learned the error of her ways" as it were. I do love how we have become a culture that hates people for ever changing their mind or revising their opinion on something.

And let's just take a look at this thread. As of now, we have 15 posts (16 with this)

Post 1: Implies a sexy dream about her
    Post 8: Isn't she the one you boink in ME3?
    Post 10: She licks consoles
    Post 11: Awkward joke about oral sex
    Post 12: Calling her a whore
    Post 13: Complaining about her having licked stuff and basically calling her a whiner (and essentially saying "She asked for it" to dismiss her argument. Pinball!)

6/15 posts are comments of a sexual variety and absolutely nobody really has talked about her writing career or her commentary on games and the like.

So this thread makes for a weak, but credible, case for the simplification of her argument. And countless others kind of make for STRONG cases for the simplification of her argument.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I never even knew she had a writing career.