Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    That's only case if people decide it is Drake. If people are shallow enough to point only to that one thing and ignore everything else he's done then it's definitely not his fault - it's the people pointing and yelling at only one section of a bigger picture.
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Because if John posed for a half naked photo in an oiled thong with the express intention of garnering more views for a site that has nothing to do with half naked photos, it sends a message that he's willing to do whatever it takes to get more views for the site.
    Only if you attach a stigma to posing for photos like that. Only if it's considered doing 'whatever it takes'. Because that makes it sound like she didn't want to pose for those photos and didn't want them out there.

Another way of getting readers is to do really good writing. If John Walker writes an amazing article, we don't go "Ah! He can no longer be trusted! He's writing really good articles to get traffic to the site, he'll clearly do whatever it takes to get more views! That jeopardizes my trust in him!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    That's only case if people decide it is Drake. If people are shallow enough to point only to that one thing and ignore everything else he's done then it's definitely not his fault - it's the people pointing and yelling at only one section of a bigger picture.
    That argument makes no sense to me. Like I said, if John moonlighted as a bikini model in his spare time, that's fine, as long as the agency has no connection with RPS and the photos aren't directly used on RPS to gain more viewers. If the photos are used on RPS... well, I don't see much difference between that and sitting between a bag of doritos & mountain dew.

What can I say? A half naked photo used to promote a gaming website won't erase everything a journalist has done, but it plants a seed of doubt as to whether their opinions are trustworthy. I like my journalists squeaky clean. I want to be able to look deep into John's bedroom eyes and trust him as much as one can possibly trust someone they've only previously met in dreams. You can call that unrealistic, crazy even, but certainly not shallow.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Y
    Let's accept that the reaction to female games journalists posing in bikinis for photo shoots is that they get taken less seriously.
    Why? Once again you're leaping to a conclusion faster than a lemming. Has it perhaps occurred to you that the reason her writing is not taken seriously is because it's not particularly good, and that it's perfectly possible to form this opinion without ever seeing one of her photographs? And that on the other hand, if her writing was actually decent then it would be highly unlikely that said photographs would change anyone's opinion on that?

Also worth noting she's a model first and a journalist second. And she writes for FHM, Maxim and the like more than she does IGN (in fact she's mainly known for being a video presenter). So she's very much a model who happens to occasionally write about gaming rather than the other way around.

Or to put it another way, the main selling point of her writing is that it's Jessica Chobit doing it, not the actual writing itself. Similar to Felicia Day, Charlie Brooker or any number of celebrities who've occasionally written about their gaming habits. The reason we don't take their writing seriously has nothing to do with their swimwear. Mrs Chobit's writing may well be pretty good on a literate level, however I'm not going to take her opinions on the games industry seriously for the same reason I wouldn't ask a fisherman to perform open heart surgery.