Thread: Indievania

Network Hub

Indievania

I like the sound of this - http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/06/in...and-their-gam/

From the article - "Independent development can be a long and laborious road, but Capsized creator Lee Vermeulen is hoping to make it a little smoother with Indievania, a new open platform where developers can sell and promote their indie darlings. Indievania is a direct-to-fan, DRM-free platform, where developers will interact directly with potential players, eliminating any middle-men and their exorbitant fees."

http://beta.indievania.com/
    Last edited by redox; 07-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.

oooh. I have to remember this one.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Bookmarked. Hopefully it doesn't fizzle out like other attempts that have been made like this.

Network Hub
    Mookbarked. Definitely relevant to my interests.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    When a developer registers on Indievania they use their PayPal account email (no need to provide passwords or any other information), so that when a player buys a game the money goes directly into the developers account and the transaction is entirely handled by PayPal. This allows Indievania to take a very low fee, and not have to handle the security of the payment or the infrastructure costs.
    Bleh. This is a fairly crappy arrangement for small indies. So unlike Steam or BMT Micro, you get to handle all the VAT stuff and accounting and refunds and fraud risk yourself. Fun.

They're also charging 9% in addition to PayPal fees, so the total cut is 14% as compared to 9.5% from BMT or ~30% from Steam et al. "Indievania takes 9% of the total price to pay for storage and bandwidth."

I dunno, I don't see enough added features to make it an attractive option for many developers. They want too much for too little.

Ooh, Nexuiz ('classic') for just 1 dollar! What a stea--oh, wait...
    I wonder why they haven't just pushed it on there as a free game to lure customers in, kind of like what Good Old Games does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    To many other better services I'm afraid so i don't see the point of this one especially since there are going to be bigger distrubution stuff for indies later, or already are out there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hope then have luck :D

I will broadcast this in twitter and my friends (but some may already know, lol..)