Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

I /think/ I want to play.

I very rarely do multi-player. But I feel like I'm missing out on something. Anyway, Blood Bowl seemed like a good choice, although it's somewhat intimidating to swim in a pool of experienced players.

You've probably answered noob questions a million times, but, which version of the game do I get? And so on.

Hi Soon. There are three versions of the game - Dark Elf, Legendary or Chaos edition. I think Dark Elf (which included 6 teams) isn't available any more, but even if it is I'd say you want either Legendary (which introduced about 10 more teams) or Chaos (which introduced a further 3). Generally speaking I'd say go for Legendary as it'll be cheaper and Chaos is only a small improvement over it, but it seems the Chaos edition is on sale for two thirds off on Steam (which you'll need to play anyway) at the moment (http://store.steampowered.com/app/216890/). 7 is a good price, if you're interested I'd definitely go for that.

Once you've got the game play a few exhibition matches against the AI on medium (it actually plays a better game on Medium than hard). I'd recommend Dwarf, Orc or Undead as good teams to learn the ropes with. Unfortunately the computer version explains itself quite badly, but fortunately the rules are well written, fairly short and tell you everything you need to know: just search online for the "Blood Bowl Competition Rules". There are several websites with excellent hints too, one of the best is http://www.bbtactics.com/ - it's well worth a read to get a feel for how different teams play.

After you understand how the UI works and the basics of the rules (blocks, dodges and ball handling are the main parts) I'd say you're better off learning online against a human than the AI, which plays so badly it can easily teach you poor habits. You can try your luck with anonymous matchmaking (Auld World, Naggeroth or the Forum Open League are the best places to start, at least in terms of being able to find an opponent), but the RPS leagues are very welcoming if you're happy with a slightly more sedate pace. Best starting spots are the Challenge League for ad hoc matches, and the Divisions of Death for around one match every 10 days or so.

Feel free to ask any other questions too :)

Activated Node
    Thankee!
    I've been reading up a bit on the overall rules, but not team specifics. Seems fairly straight forward. Move, pass, punch somebody in the face. Bit like Trivial Pursuit.

Seems that discount is only for owners of the older version. :/ 7 sounded like an excellent price.

Ah, sorry, I've got both so I guess Steam was automatically showing the cheaper price. Have a read up of the Underworld and Chaos Dwarf teams as they're two out of the three new in Chaos edition (the other is Khorne, which isn't a "proper" team in that it's not in the tabletop rules) - unless they sound like they really appeal go for a cheap copy of legendary edition if you can dig one up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    There's more than enough teams in Legendary to be going on with, and while Chaos Dwarfs and Underworld are nice to have, they're not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    There's more than enough teams in Legendary to be going on with, and while Chaos Dwarfs and Underworld are nice to have, they're not necessary.
    Agreed. However, they also added the match spectator mode in Chaos Edition which seems like it could be invaluable for newcomers who could learn from watching experienced players. Or did they patch that in to Legendary as well?
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Network Hub
    This literally just appeared on the interwebs. Check it:

If you do get the game and get started this is pretty reasonable advice.

Yeah, The Game Station has decided to start a Blood Bowl tournament, so there should be a bunch of fresh guides being promoted, along with a large quantity of scrub play.

Activated Node
    Couldn't find a particularly cheap version so just went with Chaos for a little extra. Downloading now.

I don't want to get too much into guides right away unless it's just to confirm my own theories. More fun to learn through play (and lots of losing, I suspect).
    Last edited by Soon; 10-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Usually it's more fun to learn by playing, the problem with Cyanide's Blood Bowl is that it hides some of the information from you (or at least doesn't make it clear) so it can feel like some things don't work for no apparent reason. Good way to start off, but it can be a bit rage inducing.

Some of the in-game numbers seem a little odd, with it stating things like you need to roll a 1 and you rolled a -3 or something silly, when it comes to asking you if you wish to re-roll a dodge/pass/something. It just adds various modifiers onto the number and really doesn't explain it all that well.

I'd take the time to study up on the numbers with the rulebook so you've got an idea of the odds of various actions.

Activated Node
    Single player was a success. I am ready to take on the World! Considering either Necromantic or Dark Elves with which to do it.

Network Hub
    bbtactics has some nice overviews of each race and normally goes into detail about which races are beginner friendly or not. The two you've picked there might be regarded as more for intermediate level coaches.

If you're after some Elves, I think High Elves are best for beginners, and Undead are very similar to Necro but maybe a bit easier to coach.

http://bbtactics.com/strategy/races/

Necro and Dark Elves are probably all right for beginners too, although Web's right that they're not teams I'd recommend as "My First Team". High Elves are that tiny fraction faster, which does make a difference, and also they have a very clearly defined playstyle which Dark Elves do not.
    Make a couple of teams though, apply to the challenge league and I'll accept them and happily give you a game. You can see what you think after a couple of games against human opponents.
    Just remember, if you're taking a kicking in your first couple of competitive seasons against humans it's almost certainly not the race you've chosen that's the problem. I made that mistake :)

Activated Node
    Well, I picked Necromantic. Mostly because I wanted Flesh Golems called Percy and Mary Shelley. I stand by my reasoning.

Found it tricky to pick an initial line up. But, agonizingly, went with a single werewolf so I could afford a third reroll. Looking at how to submit my team and such now...

And done. Application to the RPS Challenge League. Team Deadly Exposition. Manager KTaillefer.
    Last edited by Soon; 11-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon View Post
    I wanted Flesh Golems called Percy and Mary Shelley.
    Been there, done that.

Roy Cropper and Knerutch are former members of other teams, killed and returned to a shambling parody of life.

If you want a game just now I'm in game, otherwise let us know your steam name and some of us will add you as friends and organise matches that way.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 11-02-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon View Post
    But, agonizingly, went with a single werewolf so I could afford a third reroll. Looking at how to submit my team and such now...
    Congratulations, this was the right decision :) Necro have no ball handling skills so they really need re-rolls, and without block your werewolves are less terrifying blitzers and more turnover machines. Having just one helps control that and allows you to level him as quickly as possible, plus the two flesh golems are a) essential, and b) really slow to level up, so need as many games as possible.
    Last edited by NieA7; 11-02-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Activated Node
    I never claimed to be original! Although, Wagner should be a werewolf for double reference points.

I'm probably going to delay until tomorrow for a game. Hopefully see one of you then.
    Steam name is "thethief" if you want it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Been there, done that....
    The bestest team motto!

Activated Node
    I recently got the game, and played a few MM matches on Auld, but the 40s turn limit is terrible. How do I play mathmaking with at least 1.5 minutes of turn time?..