Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I played in Alpha, Platoon One. Stayed for about two hours and it was a decent foray folks.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    maybe we should think about taking a quick break near the half of the operation to rebalance the platoons.
    [Disclaimer: Didn't attend the CTA] This ties in to Ksem wishing he had a couple of minutes at the beginning to sort stuff out, welcome newcomers etc. It seems like a good idea to take short, enforced breaks in every large op, has been discussed in the past relating to briefing/debriefing. Just a couple of minutes to catch your breath, discuss what has been happening and iron out any problems halfway through could help massively (even if it's hard to get everyone to stop when the fight is in full flow).

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    I played in Alpha, Platoon One. Stayed for about two hours and it was a decent foray folks.
    I'm really glad you had a good time man, it was my first time leading anything with this group and I was definitely shambolic as far as SLing goes, but it was a great learning experience and hopefully I'll get better and more confident in the role with time!

Tbh as I don't have the same level of game knowledge as a lot of you vets I just tried to keep the atmosphere light and listen to suggestions from squad members and agree with what I thought seemed the most sensible!

I do agree that I could have done with another 5 or 10 mins at the start before moving out to chat to the squad and let everyone introduce themselves etc but this is my only suggestion which doesn't involve me just being better!

Once more I want to extend a MASSIVE thank you to you Orius, for holding my hand throughout!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    [Disclaimer: Didn't attend the CTA] This ties in to Ksem wishing he had a couple of minutes at the beginning to sort stuff out, welcome newcomers etc. It seems like a good idea to take short, enforced breaks in every large op, has been discussed in the past relating to briefing/debriefing. Just a couple of minutes to catch your breath, discuss what has been happening and iron out any problems halfway through could help massively (even if it's hard to get everyone to stop when the fight is in full flow).
    This is something we always say we should do, but which turns out to be really hard to pull off, or even remember to do at all. Also, we risk doing the thing that Wardancer and Jesus_Phish were both (rightly) pointing out as a bad idea, namely pulling people out of good fights where they were (finally) making headway. What command could try to do is to ask PLs at some point in the evening to try to find a moment of relative calm, and talk things over. Maybe tone down on the serious organisational stuff, and just chat for a bit about what's working and what isn't, also urge their squads to do the same. Have PLs let command know when this is happening, and that they'll need 10 minutes or so, and report in again when they're ready to get back into action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jclooth View Post
    I'm really glad you had a good time man, it was my first time leading anything with this group and I was definitely shambolic as far as SLing goes, but it was a great learning experience and hopefully I'll get better and more confident in the role with time!

Tbh as I don't have the same level of game knowledge as a lot of you vets I just tried to keep the atmosphere light and listen to suggestions from squad members and agree with what I thought seemed the most sensible!

I do agree that I could have done with another 5 or 10 mins at the start before moving out to chat to the squad and let everyone introduce themselves etc but this is my only suggestion which doesn't involve me just being better!

Once more I want to extend a MASSIVE thank you to you Orius, for holding my hand throughout!
    Thank you very much, it was very enjoyable for me as well! I'll be your RO any day, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I hope you'll keep it up, get even more involved in specific tactics related to the individual bases and become one of the top tier SLs, I could certainly see it happening.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    - The only small reproach i have about our PL was at the very beginning. He started to give orders before i was ready. I was going to explain the game to our beginners, when my RO tells me "we gal drop with the whole platoon". That was unexpected, and did trouble me (see below).
    I'm all for fast action but I think at least asking SL if they are ready to go would be nice because that's the only time they get to set everything up for their night (mumble, squad, etc).
    And it was especially important tonight because it was a CtA so we knew we would get beginners so there was more things to check out. "
    Yeah, that was me. Really stupid mistake and I'm sorry, especially if I put any new players off the game by dropping them in it like that. Yes, PS2 is about rapid deployment but some of Charlie & Delta had only just arrived and we then took a few fights to find our stride. Purple Donkey for B3ll3nd.

I have a few more thoughts which I will note in another post but my feedback on Charlie is that you guys were fucking Spartans! I must have offered you reinforcements 10 times over the night and you never needed them.

Network Hub
    finalfanatik posted a link to this in the comment thread.

http://ramshacklethoughts.wordpress....rple-giraffes/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    On the Liaison side of things:

I probably should have got onto TVA TS earlier. I joined our Mumble and helped out from about 5pm, but should have been in contact with allies to.

In the end the decision to go to Indar meant there were few allied outfits on the same continent as us. It's a busy continent at the best of times, and we filled it to bursting. Rather than asking them to join us, I ended up asking some of them to leave!

That being said, I was kept busy. Despite not making much use of the TVA teamspeak I was in constant contact with MYTH, MDK and BURP.

The most apparent help will have been BURP setting up a Burster, Lancer & AV MANA turret nest on Indar Comm. Array during the retreat to & defense of Quartz Ridge. At one point I spawned at their Sundy set up to the west of Indar Comm. It was beautiful watching RPS Magriders swoop about on the seabed as hto laser death rained down upon the excavation site.

We did learn that there is nothing that stops a mass infantry push. The total lack of artillery beyond the mediocre HE weapons on tanks means that a concerted infantry push with medics reviving people as they swarm towards a location, even over flat open ground, is nigh unstoppable expect by meeting the infantry with even greater numbers of infantry...

MYTH spent a lot of time fighting alongside the platoon that moved from Dahaka to the Evacuation site and later on in the night both MYTH and MDK supported our actions by going where we were not. They secured Allatum when we were too busy / not as agile as we usually are to get there in time and MDK helped cap much of the NC territory along that extreme southern ridge.

The one tip I would pass on to liaisons is to reiterate the importance of orders. Including a "squad leaders send me a /t to coordinate" will get responses. Especially from outfit members who recognise your name. When leader chat is quiet and TVA TS is half empty, and orders with an offer to cooperate will get responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

It sure sounds like you made a lot of difference for the overall strategic play, Cooper. I was really happy to have you with us, though we couldn't hear you half of the time, because of PLs reporting in as priority speakers...

Quote Originally Posted by Surlywombat View Post
    finalfanatik posted a link to this in the comment thread.
    http://ramshacklethoughts.wordpress....rple-giraffes/
    Wow, that was a very nice piece! Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, hearing praise like that. Thanks for posting the link Surly!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPriest
    Ksempac, I thought you did well - the only confusion i experienced was a result of my n00bery / being late to the party. Some kind of preparation time would have been good, but i was pleased to get involved at all having turned up an hour late.
    Thanks you for the feedback and remember, you can join us again every night if you wish

Quote Originally Posted by b3ll3nd View Post
    I have a few more thoughts which I will note in another post but my feedback on Charlie is that you guys were fucking Spartans! I must have offered you reinforcements 10 times over the night and you never needed them.
    O_o ...wow...thanks on behalf of the Charlie 1 members !

My squad members were great, never complaining, always responding to orders and getting the job done. Still I wasn't expecting such a compliment, because it didn't feel like we were doing extraordinary things. We were mostly vets (only 2/3 beginners), so it was easier, and there were times were we failed and had to fall back (I think twice ?).

Anyways I'm not gonna complain, I'm glad our PL liked what we did, because we had a lot of fun doing it
    Last edited by Ksempac; 10-05-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    After Action Report - Friday Fun In The Green Green Hills of Amerish

I took over PL just about the time that the alert on Amerish was called. RPS followed TACGIR over onto the Amerish continent and got stuck in around Heyoka, taking northern satellite and holding against multiple massive counter-attacks. We were operating in the south-west of Amerish for almost the entire alert, fighting around Heyoka and trying to push out south and east, but were thrown back by TR counter-attacks more than once (not surprising, given the 10% imbalance in pop that we were facing).

Alpha and Bravo Squads, along with a small Delta squad, did a great job several times holding up and destroying TR forces that were much larger than us. TACGIR did some good work capping other areas that supported us.

From my point of view I felt that we were horribly boxed in at Heyoka, and every attempt to push out, while ultimately successful, was a horrible slow meat-grinder for a lot of the time. With the TR set up to the south on the mountain ridge at West Pass Watchtower, any attempt to push out was meet by massive anti-vehicle fire.

We got a bit spread out and broken up, as we met resistance at every turn, and I think I should've recalled the platoon and tried to put a gal drop in on West Pass - I need to learn timing better for alerts. I was also worried about flying sky whales into ludicrous AA fire.

Was also coordinating a little bit in Leader chat, I certed for it halfway through the evening, so when I'm PL/SL in future I'll be able to at least see what's being said. Thanks to zekone and Bazzabat for ROing and coordinating with TACGIR.

Any criticism or feedback on the night's events would be great.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    We might have had the best performance during the amerish alert but I will say we did have damn good fights at Heyoka. First securing the northen satelite and grinding down their armor until the tacgirs could move in behind them and cap their satellite. Really good fun imho, Heyoka is a pretty sweet base.

Then pushing out was tough as hell, what we could have done is pull a mass lib attack or amass galaxy attack on the ridge to take out their sunderer which should have let us clear them from the ridgeline and then move out. But still I had tons of fun doing commando raids up there and driving tanks, I mean hell we had a few pretty sweet tank fights/defends on amerish. How often does that happen?

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I think we did a decent job with taking and holding Heyoka, even if we were just grinding it out against the TR while other people were capping points etc.

It was the push out that foiled us. I should have gone air - two or three gals dropping on Watchtower would've worked wonders but I was just worried about ordering an air attack into overwhelming defences.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Just a few things I noticed today during the Indar alert and also some other nights so I leave it here:

- Please, please, please spot aircraft!. Especially when in a Skyguard a single Mossie swooping in takes you out and ruins your day. AA needs to be aware of every aircraft in the sky at all times and cannot do it on it's own, AA requires the grunts on the ground to spot aircraft for them. So if you see anything in the sky (or the ground) please spot it (that's pressing Q when the tagret is in your crosshair) Simply spot the shit out of everything you see.

- When we get to a empty base we need to cover the spawn room. It just happened again today at Quartz Ridge where most of the platoon was at the north entrance and only three to four guys watched (more like: hung around) the spawn room and by that BRTD had no problems taking out our sundi and bringing the gen back online. I know that spawn camping is lame and boring and so on, but it's really required, especially in an empty base. The enemy can come in with a coordinated push every second. We need to have at least a squad watching the spawn room in such situations.
    Last edited by bonkers; 12-05-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Just a few things I noticed today during the Indar alert and also some other nights so I leave it here:

- Please, please, please spot aircraft!. Especially when in a Skyguard a single Mossie swooping in takes you out and ruins your day. AA needs to be aware of every aircraft in the sky at all times and cannot do it on it's own, AA requires the grunts on the ground to spot aircraft for them. So if you see anything in the sky (or the ground) please spot it (that's pressing Q when the tagret is in your crosshair) Simply spot the shit out of everything you see.

- When we get to a empty base we need to cover the spawn room. It just happened again today at Quartz Ridge where most of the platoon was at the north entrance and only three to four guys watched (more like: hung around) the spawn room and by that BRTD had no problems taking out our sundi and bringing the gen back online. I know that spawn camping is lame and broring and so on, but it's really required, especially in an empty base. The enemy can come in with a coordinated push every second. We need to have at least a squad watching the spawn room.
    If we are to talk about that...

-Babysit the sunderers. Also, pull AA, even if the skies are clear. They won't be for long. I was babysitting mine as an engie, and kept asking for an AA max for 15 mins! Of course a lone mosquito kept harassing us all, and the pilot got most of our sundies. Mine went down last, as he crashed the mossie into it, he jumped out as an engie, and mined it.

-We should never all sit inside the cap points waiting for the cap. Inside the cap point room you have absolutely no view of what the enemy is doing, and where they are coming from. You may hold them off for a while, but they only have to clear one room at a time. Keep covering the whole ground, starting from and focusing on, as bonkers correctly suggests, the spawn room and all its approaches.

-Once more and for emphasis, keep pulling sundies like they're going out of fashion. And also, guard them. Sure, having a squad's worth of people guarding sundies may seem like a waste, but when those are lost, the whole platoon is lost. This game is all about distance and time from the closest spawn. Spawn beacons are not reliable spawn points.

-Also, to expand on what bonkers is correctly saying, the difference between lonewolfing and teamwork is communication. Spot everything, call out everything. Otherwise we are just 40-odd people lonewolfing it, and just commenting on what each one of us is doing.

-Finally, always be paranoid. Because they are out there to get you. All 1332 of them, and a good portion of the 666 on our side as well, who don't watch where they're shooting or driving at.

Network Hub
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but if not it's nearly the right thread.

Am I the only one getting tired of whack a mole at Indar Excavations, Quartz Ridge, Coramed area? I know we have to hold the lock, but we have been fighting over the same patch of ground since the warp gates rotated. Because we don't want to get stuck between TR and NC; and we avoid the crown. We tend to work the edges, but that does make our operating area pretty small. It may also be making us a bit predictable, least on Indar.
    Last edited by Surlywombat; 14-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.

I have to admit I can't stand playing more than an hour or so these days, feels like we're doing the same thing over and over again. And not in an interesting way either, we're rolling over someone with overwhelming force or we're being rolled over by someone with overwhelming force.

There is very little TACGIR play, at least less that I'd like to see. This is one of the reasons I don't play as much as I used to. Running around in a big group back and forth between the same old bases is getting a bit wearying. I think working a bit more on the tactical play would give a feeling like the game is evolving in some way, even if it's just us and not so much the game itself that is changing.

It sucks to always feel like I have to ask for it myself, and then also have to lead it myself, if it's going to happen. I guess that it isn't going to start happening unless someone does keep pushing for it, though...

A quick not to any new members: it is okay to request squad play, if that is what you prefer. We have procedures in place to handle a squad or two breaking off for a little more focused play, without forcing everyone to join in. You don't have to lead the TACGIR squad(s), there are plenty of people competent enough to handle that now, but unless you start asking for it, chances are you're not going to get any.

Is it possible to attack effectively when you are cut off from the rest? I'm thinking of two skywhales containing a good mix of troops landing behind enemy lines, sabotaging stuff and taking off again when it's getting too hot.
    Maybe this would help to get some variety. I'm sure one of the veteraffes thought about that already.

But I'm new to the game. I don't even know if it's possible to hot drop on or even place a spawn beacon in isolated territory. (Is it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Surlywombat View Post
    I know we have to hold the lock, but we have been fighting over the same patch of ground since the warp gates rotated.
    Actually I would challenge that. Do we have to hold anything? With the game in the current state, the 3 continents are little more than big arenas, without any notion of persistence since you can't properly boot the others out. Having fun should be the only goal that matters.