Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    As a PL I will frequently call for people who are flying around in Scythes to scout objectives for me - knowledge is power.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaBBagE View Post
    P.S. Maybe we need a new tag for last night's style of play, we've had SlackGir, TacGir, StratGir, how about ChillGir?
    I agree. I'd personally like to see the term 'SlackGir' die a death. It's any or all of: undescriptive, derogatory, demotivating, unfair. This isn't a criticism of anyone using the term (not least since I've used it in the past so it would be hypocritical). Rather I'm saying a term (like 'ChillGir'?) might be a helpful replacement. Don't mind too much what term we use but it shouldn't have negative connations or sounding like it's criticising others' play style preferences and it shouldn't imply that we can't be effective.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ZenGir
    NirvanaGir

Quite like NirvanaGir - it's awkwardly long, which kind of fits the purpose, subverting the clipped-short military style of 'TacGir'.

Glad to hear about Cabbage's successful run as a PL, we need people providing relaxed leadership just as much as we need people organising special events, running TacGir etc.

NirvanaGir - I variously imagine a giraffe awkwardly cross legged up a mountain in meditation. Or a grungy, teenage giraffe with anger management issues and a substance abuse problem. So, perfect!(?)

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quick-and-dirty AAR 2013-06-26, Wednesday:
    ===================================
    I took over PL after Jakkar did an excellent job leading a very full platoon till eight or so and then remembered not eating since lunch. I helped Jakkar set up the 2-platoons-in-game-but-1-platoon-in-5-Mumble-channels comms, and then took over as PL when he left. There was some initial confusion, as is to be expected, but after a little bit, things sorted themselves out and all 60 of us seemed to be having a good time.

We went after the TR lock on Amerish, after having tried to secure Heyoka tech plant for the tech plant alert and fighting skrimishes with mostly NC down in the south-west.

We pushed the TR hard on several fronts, together with other TVA outfits, though we had no liaison on TVA TeamSpeak, the leader chat was constructive tonight. We ended up getting the (new, easier) continent lock fairly easy, though I tried to stick us into the biggest fights I could find. Some base-hopping, a couple of last-minute resecures of TR and NC backcaps, but overall a good night. The last offensive was all 5 squads of us pushing Crux Mining, together with people from DIG, MDK, IVRI and several other outfits. Good times!

To celebrate the victory, we did a Lightning race from Crux Mining back to the warpgate. The first person to reach the top floor of the spawn room was... *drumroll*

Tatourmi!

That doesn't really work with the large text, does it? That was the first thing you saw, wasn't it?

Congratulations on the victory, anyway! 30-40 Lightnings all massed on the starting line was indeed quite a sight, and the jostling that went on for the first kilometre or so was good.

Thanks for tonight, guys n' gals!

And a quick part II to the AAR for Wed 26th June 2013!
    ==================================
    After the early shift all pootled off to bed I took over as PL to the remaining couple of squads (well after we had issues with the PL going to a non-outfit and non-communicating person in Alpha lol!). We stayed on Amerish for a bit clearing some easily taken bases just South of Mao then swinging around to the Impact site. With fights dwindling we headed off to Indar (following the alert) and things picked up. We did a gal drop save to start with and got into a few fights N.E. of the Crown then noticed that there was a big TR push Eastwards at Scarred Mesa Skydock. We started with a gal drop here that initially took the point but we lost momentum (and spawns lol) and had to have a rethink. We opted for a Lib 'softening up' of the dock which might have worked if we had more Scythes. As it was we arrived, we shredded, we floated down to the ground in lots of tiny pieces haha! We then opted for the good old fashioned ground slog, we took the vehicle term at the Eastern base of the skydock then went for a max crash up from the bounce pad. This was just utterly superb. We cleared the base from South to North and had an incredible fight in the central building, superb team play as time and again they tried to cut through us. For once I didn't engage the rage and used my max properly, as did the other guys who pulled them. In fact everyone in that dock fight deserves a medal, I think they had the pop advantage and their spawn was only a few metres away! We were starting to run out of steam (and people) so tried one last push! Vanu had been holding out at Crossroads from a TR and NC push for our entire time on Indar so we thought we'd help out by chewing into the rear. We pushed N.W. to Regent Rock Garrison and struggled, keeping spawns up there is a right royal pain in the bottom. I put out some requests for help and a few other Vanu arrived but to be honest we were saved by the push S.W. from Crossroads where they took Xenotech Labs and that as they say was that!

P.S. Some people were quite shocked to hear about the engie 'thing'. Don't forget, as an engie you NEVER have to carry an ammo pack, if you select you turret and hit 'B' (default) it will change from a turret to an ammo pack. This allows you to carry mines in every load out, enjoy the carnage
    Last edited by CaBBagE; 27-06-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Bad typing etc.!
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    AAR for the Air squad, Thu 27th June 2013

The setup

This was the first time we tried out the new Air squad setup tested during the last Tactical Testing and Training Tuesday event. The framework is as follows:

- A ground support crew of at least four establishes a "Safe zone" with two skyguards, an ammo sunderer and an optional repair sunderer. This zone provides repair and rearming opportunities for friendly aircraft, as well as refuge from enemy aircraft. The Safe zone acts as a mobile base and is moved as the battle progresses.
    - The rest of the squad spawns liberators and scythes and attacks a specific target or a target area.
    - Once aircraft are inevitably destroyed, new ones can be spawned by either the pilots or the ground crew.

The battles

We started on Amerish by galdropping The Ascent, securing it for future aircraft acqusition. Once done there, we set up the ground support southwest of The Ascent and started harassing The Bastion, in support of the main platoon there.

Once The Bastion was secure, we moved out into the plains east of Moss Basin. After this a battle over Deepcore Geolab ensued, involving the TR, whose strikers took their toll on friendly aircraft. However, the battle was won and the ground crew moved up north to West Foothills Airdock. Being close to the NC warpgate, the number of reavers, as well as enemy liberators and galaxies, rose significantly. They were no match for our scythes, liberators and skyguards though, and soon the Amerish conquest was complete.

Following the assault at West Foothills, we moved south, back to Deepcore Geolab, then east to The Bastion again and finally closer to Crux Headquarters before it was decided that RPS was to travel to Esamir to repel the enemies encroaching on our warpgate.

On Esamir, successful assaults were carried out on Everett Supply Co., Elli Amp, Glacier Station and Echo Valley. Both pilots and ground crew were doing a great job, and the Safe zone proved to be a great support for those in the air. It was not until Echo Valley and the final assault on Saerro, after about three hours of flying, that our air resources started to dwindle. Esamir is an unforgiving continent, and TR Strikers and Vulcan Harassers were not making it any easier. The Safe zone soon found itself at the very front line as VS was pushed back towards the south by the TR hordes. We were wiped out and decided to disband as most were logging off anyway.

The conclusion

The ground support for the air squad turned out to be a very valuable addition. It saved aircraft on multiple occasions and I found it very enjoyable to be on the ground (which I was the entire evening, as I was the squad leader). Seeing the friendly aircraft come in for repairs and ammo was beautiful. It was also nice to park in unused spots of Amerish and Esamir, allowing us to experience new areas.

TL;DR
    We ran an air squad with dedicated ground support - skyguards, ammo sunderer and optional repair sunderer - on Amerish and Esamir. It worked very well, it was fun and we kicked lots of NC and TR butt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Damn, should have been been there for the air squad.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Damn, should have been been there for the air squad.
    I will make sure we run it again.

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    I will make sure we run it again.
    Please do, another aspiring Giraffe With Wings here.

It was very good to have friendly air dominance like we had yesterday. That is a luxury we are not used to, so thanks guys. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    It was very good to have friendly air dominance like we had yesterday. That is a luxury we are not used to, so thanks guys. Good job!
    +1

I really enjoyed being in the air squad and also being able to call on you as PL. Actually being able to call in an air strike was so awesome and a real tactical boon.

Wally is now on Steam!

Obscure Node
    ++
    Highly enjoyable. Got a few kills with with my AA Max but not sure it was as much use as another pilot would have been, so I'll find some VR time to work on my (currently nonexistent) Scythe skills. Perversely, my favourite moment was taking The Ascent as a Burster MAX - not to say the rest of it wasn't fun, but I was surprised how effective it was at CQC!

Man, if you liked the dual Burster for anti-infantry combat, you should try the dual Blueshift or Quasar...

Re: the air squad taking the Ascent:

Yeah we nailed that one. Proves that the flying giraffes are pretty handy on the ground too. Let's not forget the SAS stands for Special Air Service...

Wally is now on Steam!

I missed a proper air squad? Dang! Sounds like you did an awesome job guys, look forward to flying with you some time.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    I really enjoyed being in the air squad and also being able to call on you as PL. Actually being able to call in an air strike was so awesome and a real tactical boon.
    I was hoping to get some feedback on how the air squad was perceived by the main platoon. Nice to see that it was so helpful!

When we have the air squad framework established, we can perhaps work on tighter coordination in the air, with wingmen and focused attacks. No need to push that though, as it seemed to be efficient nevertheless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, after the handover, I went off to Charlie squad and fairly quickly wound up leading it.
    My radio operator seemed to be really struggling in the 6-7 squad environment we had set up however.

This isn't the first time we've had this problem.

OUr online figures look something like this at the moment:
    outfit numbers.jpg

(The peaks are at 8pm (66 members), 9pm (63 members) and 9pm (70 members) (although I don't know what timezone that is on - hunch is UTC as it still seemed busy at 22:00 UTC + 1, but, outfit points shows ~2 squads at 22:00))

We perhaps need to handle these numbers a little better. We've especially become really "spikey" lately - it used to be normal to run ~ a full platoon for a whole StratGir (19:30-22:30UK ish, with tail off after that). Last night, we started off with 2.5 squads despite a late start of 20:00, but surged to 6.5 squads by 21:00, with an end to proceedings about 23:00. I guess we need to be more geared up to handle this and keep things manageable for ROs.

On to more general things about the night:

Amerish
    So this is the bit I was in charge of. There was an all-conts biolab alert at the time, which I decided to pretty much ignore. Onatha was taking care of itself and I didn't want to switch continents. Also, air squad wanted something to do. The inital plan was move up to Ikanim, kicking off at The Bastion, on the grounds that it's often a good fight.

Initially at the Bastion we struggled. The NC defending it were being highly effective at eliminating sunderers, while our squads were not acting cohesively. In some ways I think this did us good. The break through came when the newly formed, half-strength charlie squad were ordered to bring in a sunderer and do nothing but protect it. Alpha and Bravo then used this as a base to move out in much more cohesive units. This combined with rising numbers got us the bastion (while air squad prevented enemy vehicle support from being a problem).

While the bastion opened us a line up to Ikanaim, there seemed little to gain from actually assaulting it. The alert timer was down to 20 minutes, and an NC force significantly larger than the RPS platoon was already attacking it and drawing TR forces off. Noticing that Vanu territory was actually pretty high, I decided instead to push for a continent lock, principally focusing on the NC, because they were nearer and had a lower territory/pop ratio. Squads were scattered to the winds to grab as much territory as possible, occasionally coalescing on a stubborn point (INI showed up to take Deepcore Geolab, which we only secured once they left again).

Eventually, some 10 minutes or so after the alert end, with a couple of very effective resecures at Bastion and Crux HQ, we had the lock. The attempts to capture Lithcorp apparently provoked a huge fight, to the extent where the superior spawning position we had up on the hill wasn't enough to counter NC numbers. At this point, I decided to hand over to TrooperWally and switch continents, despite the desire of some squads to stay in the (now clearly unwinnable) fight for Lithcorp.

Overall, I think we did pretty well on Amerish. I was able to deploy fores so that most of the while, we enjoyed a small numerical advantage - meaning we got fights everywhere, but won the vast majority. As we were operating in a large number of smaller scale conflicts, the air squad was able to come in and hit specific targets, and stay up in a way that they wouldn't have done with larger scale fights. The air squad's rapid response ability was pretty key in several defensive actions also.

Esamir
    So, Esa. I grunted briefly in Charlie squad, before taking over as SL, as our squad leader didn't speak very much.

Here we bounced around a lot from target to target and role to role. There was a period, around the attempt to take Echo Valley, where I started leading against orders, as the orders were guaranteeing us ages of boredom. We were probably at our most effective the two times we were on the Saerro-Eisa ridge, as AA and AV, once on foot, once in magriders, stopping TR units coming over the ridge.

I don't entirely understand why we got bogged down in fighting over Saerro and Echo Valley, when we had adjacency and the numbers to take Eisa (at one point, we could potentially have stolen the TR cap in progress from under their noses.

The fighting on Esamir was much larger in scale - we were asked to provide armour/vehicle support a couple of times, but in reality we were too small a group - we needed to be paired with another squad to sustain the vehicles.

Overall, had some pretty fun fights along that ridge though, even if we never moved the lines of battle much (a problem with Esamir as a whole, which tends to revolve around Eisa and the 3 towers surrounding it.
    Last edited by CMaster; 28-06-2013 at 11:41 AM.

I was especially pleased, sitting in my Skyguard overlooking Eisa from the bridge over Echo Valley, when my calling out a couple of [FU] galaxies loading up and taking off from Eisa resulted in a "One of those Galaxies are down now" less than a minute later.

Would like to take part myself some day. I've even managed to kill a few tanks and people in my Scythe lately, so there might be hope for me still.

Activated Node
    Ah, I took down that [FU] Galaxy, was a nice XP haul! Never did find the second one though.

I found the Air Squad to be a great addition, particularly with the Ground based safe zone, being able to come in for repairs with <10% HP left on my Sycthe was pretty damn handy.

I found the difference in fighting the NC & TR to be particularly marked yesterday. The NC didn't seem to be able to counter air very effectively. I remember cleaning up in Vast's Lib using a Zephyr over the Bastion as there were only one or two heavy's with lockon's and 1 burster. The TR is a different story, every sodding heavy seems to have a Striker making it difficult to strafe effectively. Must remember to finish certing my flares this evening.