Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Fixing a direction is a problem if your objective is on the opposite side. (if the objective is on the north it's hard to reach the safe zone from south)

Solution : put 2 fixed colors smoke in a line. Let's say orange and green. You always approach using this line, with orange first reached and stop at green.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Fixing a direction is a problem if your objective is on the opposite side. (if the objective is on the north it's hard to reach the safe zone from south)

Solution : put 2 fixed colors smoke in a line. Let's say orange and green. You always approach using this line, with orange first reached and stop at green.
    But you're flying in a 3D space, even if the objective is on the north, all you have to do is bank east or west and come around south. Then when you're leaving, you leave going north again. It's not like there's going to be a mountain or a road that you have to follow, because you're stuck on the ground and the mountains too high.

Either way to avoid mid air collisions when it's busy people are going to have to bank to the sides at some point, either on entry or leaving.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

It's easier to bank when leaving the safe zone rather than when you have low health and are under stress. You should always minimise the "pain" of coming back to safe zone. It's safer for everyone if the "difficult" path is at take off after full repairs rather than at landing (which is harder) after the "stressful" run.

But we should still have a "runway" or point of entry. Having everyone just zoom in from random directions is a mess and it's caused more than one or two explosions.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Hence the two smokes : they make a line giving you a line of approach, and the 2 color tells you from which end you should arrive (orange).

Orange to Green form a vector giving all relevant informations.

Sorry if I'm not clear I'm having trouble finding the right mathematical terms in English.

Edit : another way to explain. Orange is point of entry of your runway, green is where your ground crew is.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 01-07-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I get it Ksem, sounds like it would be extremely useful. Just need to make sure everyone knows how it works and slows down/keeps an eye out for friendlies on landing.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. As long as everyone knows what the deal is with it.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Nice to see all the constructive ideas for the air squad!

What if we have two ammo sunderers that can serve two aircraft at once, one on each side? That way ammo sundies can refill eachother and we get designated landing spots. When all landing spots are filled up, a message is issued to the channel that no more aircraft can enter the safe zone. Limiting the number of aircraft in the safe zone to a maximum of four would reduce the risk of collisions.

However, making things very complex might be an obstacle for newer pilots and turn setup and maintenance of the safe zone into more of a hassle. Keeping it simple will be easier, but likely not as efficient.

We are still new to this, so I expect safe zone placement to become better as we learn what the good spots are and what characterises them. Should it have hills surrounding it? Should it be elevated? Should it have a clear view of the surroundings and perhaps even the target? How far away from the target is optimal? We have definitely been too far away and too close a number of times.

And the name:
    - CASGir (Close Air Support)
    - AirGir (repost of Eso's)
    - FlyGir (repost of Eso's)
    - TopGir (Top Gun...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    laBgdPAl.jpg

Sloppy mockup. Can be misinterpreted as "Top Girl". Verdict?

Love it!

CAG - Combat Air Giraffes? (CAG is the term used for a Carrier Air Group, or these days Commander Air Group)

Since the discussion is mostly about Air squad, can a mod move all the relevant posts to the TTT #4 thread ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...TT-4-Air-squad )? and we will make that our official Air Squad thread, which i will add to the list of all important threads.

I don't want to lose this important discussion on how to improve the air squad (or whatever name we choose for it).
    Last edited by Ksempac; 01-07-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    TopGir is awesome.

Such good names: CASGir; AirGir; FlyGir; TopGir! Throwing a few more into the pot how about SkyGir? StarGir or maybe move off XxxGir and go for something different entirely like Icarus etc.?
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    laBgdPAl.jpg

Sloppy mockup. Can be misinterpreted as "Top Girl". Verdict?
    Make that purple/cyan instead of blue/red and it's a go.
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua (N80) + [RPS] Namassi Melua (G80) + a few more.
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant

GiRAF (RAF = Royal Air Force)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiant View Post
    Make that purple/cyan instead of blue/red and it's a go.
    Haha, yes, agreed. Also, maybe add something giraffey instead of that star? Perhaps some link back to the RPS logo would be good?

I'd like to bring up this opportunity to link this image that TrooperWally kindly brought to us some time ago. I think it'd be great for as part of the logo or even being the guts of the logo with the name somewhere around it.

purpleflyinggiraffe.jpg

Steam ID

Maybe something like Bundes-Giraffes (BuGi) or GiraffeWaffe (GiWa or GiWaffe). The last one might be offensive to most people I guess and cant blame them. On a second thought that might be better fitting for a TR Outfit.......

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Haha, yes, agreed. Also, maybe add something giraffey instead of that star? Perhaps some link back to the RPS logo would be good?
    A star in giraffe camo.
    Planetside 2 | Miller | [RPS] Irumani
    Guild Wars 2 | Vizunah | [RPS] Morganne Melua (N80) + [RPS] Namassi Melua (G80) + a few more.
    Steam | [FUCA] Skiant