Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yeah, it is annoying as fuck. I'd rather see that we start booting unresponsive players from our platoons than start burning out our PLs, though that must be a personal initiative from affected PLs...
    I'm this -><- close to outright kicking anyone who doesn't follow orders when I'm PLing. This might sound like me running around like a little Hitler but when I order you to do something, you fucking do it immediately, or you say why you can't. I don't PL as much as I could because people just going "screw that, I'll do something else".

Quote Originally Posted by Henlaaz View Post
    but earlier in the day.. I was involved in defending peris amp station for a good 45mins with the outfit, and it went really well and we held off the TR zerg for quite a while, so it wasnt all doom and gloom yesterday ..
    That was awesome. Also we held at midnight when they tried to take NS Material Storage, where we eventually destroyed a huge tank zerg.

Obscure Node
    While I was on last night it felt like we were the only VS around trying to be agressive against any organsied (or massed) enemy forces, and that really slowed things down. The infamous lone TR sundy did seem to be very well supported, we had it badly damaged more than once and it was repaired straight away, and very quickly there was so many infantry and prowlers around we couldn't do much directly.
    On the plus side we did manage to blunt their advance more than once (massed lancers and a couple of harassers did seem to work), and I had fun trying out shotguns for a change.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Re: people not following orders, could it be due in part to a lack of outfit introductions? How many Giraffe Calfs do we have in the outfit at the mo? cos we should be aiming for 0. Introductions are supposed to help get all new players on the same page as the rest of the outfit, it explains that you are expected to follow orders promptly etc.

Could have just been a particularly bad series of messy fights, along with some overly busy comms that made everyone confused. If comms are too busy, it is totally worth calling time out for a few minutes to split. In other news, my internet is back up, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Re: people not following orders, could it be due in part to a lack of outfit introductions? How many Giraffe Calfs do we have in the outfit at the mo?
    1075 (compared to 115 Giraffes)
    http://outfitpoints.com/OutfitDetail...09488620609255

Granted, many are one shot CtA guys or burned out vets. Still, when i log in every night, i see about 50% new members rank in the platoon.
    That's why I've started to push for more introduction sessions (got 11 new Giraffes in 2 days).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There was one thing about last night that should be mentioned:
    early on (no idea who was lead anymore), we were under heavy attack by the NC on amerish, and we defended a techplant. initially, we were on the satellites and doing a good job of defending them, but the nc decided to not bother and go around us relatively quickly. they took A in the techplant and got some sundies up. when the nc were about half-way through withe the cap, i started pointing this out in /os, but i guess no one read and the order to redirect never came. i managed to get on the point a couple of times and it was, at best, lightly defended. in the end, we lost the techplant while almost all of our squads were on the satellites. i don't know how this happened; we had loads of vets on, and i don't think the pl was new either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Barely anyone reads the chat box Qaz.

Everyone really should, but most just don't notice it or pay any attention to it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I'd not put too much faith in those statistics. I've been playing regularly since beta and I'm still in as a new member. Admittedly this could be an anomaly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by HexPen View Post
    I'd not put too much faith in those statistics. I've been playing regularly since beta and I'm still in as a new member. Admittedly this could be an anomaly.
    That means you haven't had an outfit introduction yet.
    Which is exactly what Rizlar was asking about.
    (Pretty sure you were a Giraffe before the new policy was introduced)

When we introduced the outfit introduction concept, we downgraded all Giraffes and Giraffe Beacon to the New Member Rank, to know who had been through the introduction. This was done about a month ago.

This was done because we noticed we had lot of members who missed critical information (such as "we have a forum and a website").

The purpose of the outfit introduction is to ensure everyone has the same basic, important facts about the outfit and how we play ("be excellent to each other" "what is TacGir? " etc. ) .

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Barely anyone reads the chat box Qaz.
    Everyone really should, but most just don't notice it or pay any attention to it.
    well, yeah. but i can't have been the only one that noticed what was going on. i couldn't key up at the time and it's a shame no one else did either.

Qaz : was it around 8h30 bst? Because i noticed too but it also was the moment we changed PL. Hence there was a bit of downtime/confusion

Lesser Hivemind Node
    it was shortly after the new pl had taken over, yes. but it seemed that he was well settled/confident, as orders were apparently coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    That means you haven't had an outfit introduction yet.
    Which is exactly what Rizlar was asking about.
    (Pretty sure you were a Giraffe before the new policy was introduced)

Oops, I'd intentionally ignored those things thinking they didn't apply to me. My own fault and don't I look quite the fool.

Someone get this thread back on topic.

AAR for me. Had a great time as a Grunt in Alpha squad. Tatourmi did an awesome job for his first time SLing...He asked me to mentor him, but really i barely said anything, he got almost everything right all by himself. Very impressive job. Would gladly follow in battle again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Had a good time leading the air squad tonight. Air squad turned into air squads, plural, and we had between 8 and 15 aircraft in the air at any one time, making sure that RPS mostly dominated the air around wherever we were operating. Had lots of trouble with 48+ TR at Mekala and alter on at Blackshard Tungsten Mine and Auraxicom what-ever-it-is (not substation), but otherwise we were doing fine.

Edit: Should add that quite a few friendlies were making use of our facilites as well; the forward operating base (or FODB ) was well frequented, especially when pushing against the TR at Mekala!

Lessons learned:
    - SLs should call in CAS (close air support) from the air group directly from air group SL, to use them fully
    - We really need to hit the bloody striker nests much sooner and more forcefully. Blackshard Tungsten and whatever that place is NW of Mekala are places that TR must not be allowed to hold.
    - Flying can be really fun if you have good ground support and good wingmen to help you handle enemy air
    - The air squad can handle AA turrets easily enough with some coordination, and Skyguard are okay, if there are only a few. Masses of Burster MAXes and lock-ons are a problem however, primarily due to rendering distances, so ground forces are required to handle them.
    - The Shredder is a terrifying tool in the hands of a competent gunner, easily rivalling the infamous Vulcan. Angles of fire are a problem, though.

Oh and edit 2: I saw a peak of 96 outfit members online tonight! That's the most I've ever seen outside of Call to Arms, and is nearly the amount we had for the first one of those. We really need to be quicker about getting squads enough for everyone.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 04-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.

The FODB.... When i saw that in Order chat i was like "wtf is that? I'm in rps and i don't understand it". We should be careful not to use too many acronyms i was wondering why you used that acronym instead of "safe zone" ?

Btw good idea to invite friendlies to use it, that will provide all sorts of benefits. How did it go? Did they understood how the safe zone was organised /how they should use it?
    Last edited by Ksempac; 05-07-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I'm this -><- close to outright kicking anyone who doesn't follow orders when I'm PLing. This might sound like me running around like a little Hitler
    It does and it is. I have a feeling that the most hardcore players are forgetting why other people are: to have fun. As far as I remember RPS outfit doesn't advertise as "hardcore, win or get kicked" outfit. I expect that the only achievement of kicking people for not following orders is that people will start leaving the outfit. I would.

Please remember - people sometimes people don't follow orders because they just went afk, got lost, don't have a fu*** clue what you are talking about. Example of what sometimes people sound like (apologies Esoteric, this not personal just an example):

SLs should call in CAS from the air group directly from air group SL, to use them fully
    And sometimes, sorry to say, the orders are just DUMB and a SL decides to ignore them on purpose.

I had a great time yesterday thanks to Tatourmi, who was I think the best squad leader I ever had a pleasure to play with, and you know why? Because he assumed that everyone is getting lost in this game and can't tell their head from their a$$. So he was leading us as 10-year olds - his orders were clear, waypoint up to date, he repeated orders, made sure people followed them, moved as a group, made sure there are medics, engineers, heavies... He was the first SL that I have played with who noticed that squad member died and asked for a rez for him.

Last point: sometime in the middle of the evening there was this conversation in the squad channel while sitting in a Gal at Warpgate : "SL: When are we taking off? RO: I don't know SL: What is the target? RO: I don't know... apparently PL is taking a leak... let's wait two minutes."

So let's just remember - we are all humans and all we want is to enjoy this game. Even when we get lost in it sometimes...

Obscure Node
    I was in Alpha squad last night, led by Tatourmi from 8pm to 10.30pm. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially the lancer hit squad he formed to take out the armour surrounding Mekala (sp?).

Definitely felt a lot better and more organised than the kicking we received earlier in the week. Kudos to all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Re: following orders and kicking - I don't think that's what RPS is about but things are never binary. In general play I can't think of an example (other than anti social behaviour/trolling/asshattery) that deserves a kick even just a kick from the platoon (though I understand boriz's frustration). In tacgir not following orders persistently should imo lead to gentle reprimands in mumble followed by harsher /tells and ultimately a kick from the squad. This seems fair because tacgir is essentially always an alternative to the main platoon so there's somewhere else for relaxed play plus not following orders can spoil things for the rest of tacgir.

Regardless I think the focus is quite rightly on trying to balance a good level of effectiveness with a relaxed style. Last night was a perfect example - lots of fun!
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by reyn78 View Post
    It does and it is. I have a feeling that the most hardcore players are forgetting why other people are: to have fun. As far as I remember RPS outfit doesn't advertise as "hardcore, win or get kicked" outfit. I expect that the only achievement of kicking people for not following orders is that people will start leaving the outfit. I would.

Please remember - people sometimes people don't follow orders because they just went afk, got lost, don't have a fu*** clue what you are talking about. Example of what sometimes people sound like (apologies Esoteric, this not personal just an example):

And sometimes, sorry to say, the orders are just DUMB and a SL decides to ignore them on purpose.

I had a great time yesterday thanks to Tatourmi, who was I think the best squad leader I ever had a pleasure to play with, and you know why? Because he assumed that everyone is getting lost in this game and can't tell their head from their a$$. So he was leading us as 10-year olds - his orders were clear, waypoint up to date, he repeated orders, made sure people followed them, moved as a group, made sure there are medics, engineers, heavies... He was the first SL that I have played with who noticed that squad member died and asked for a rez for him.

Last point: sometime in the middle of the evening there was this conversation in the squad channel while sitting in a Gal at Warpgate : "SL: When are we taking off? RO: I don't know SL: What is the target? RO: I don't know... apparently PL is taking a leak... let's wait two minutes."

So let's just remember - we are all humans and all we want is to enjoy this game. Even when we get lost in it sometimes...
    I think your post is off topic : if I'm not mistaking boris wasn't talking about StratGir,where there are SL leading their squad closely, but rather when we're in a casual platoon with 30+ people around that are spreading everywhere and we become totally unfocused

That being said, i want to address some of the points you made :
    - not understanding orders : it's ok to ask your leader to repeat/explain them. Don't just say "i don't understand therefore i will go on my own".
    - SL leading people closely : what Tatourmi did is being a TacGir SL. Checking squad composition, Constantly giving orders, ensuring everyone is following them, etc. That's what TacGir is about. Not all SL play the TacGir way, and we rarely play in separate squad, so unfortunately many people in the outfit have yet to experience it. However if you enjoy it, they are several leaders who lead that way. To name a few : TrooperWally, CMaster, Jakkar... (and me)
    Last edited by Ksempac; 05-07-2013 at 08:35 AM.