Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I also think friendly air could be very helpful in dealing with harassers. I tried the different primary weapons on the scythe on harassers in VR earlier today, and both the default gun and the halestorm takes out a harasser in about 10 seconds (around 15 seconds for the Light PPA). If pilots are able to approach from above (where they can't get shot) and lead the target properly they should be able to take them out without any hassle.

I'm not sure how this will work in practice though, so I'm gonna try doing it tonight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Also Shredders. V

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Lots of fun in TacGir tonight. I'm not going to obsess over how it could have been better - it's Friday evening and I've spent the majority of the time after office work building a patio so I'm chuffed to have been able to play PS2 let alone have some semblance of efficacy. Thanks all. Sorry I had to disappear to quickly - real life caught up with me.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I know the feeling. Well played, Sir! Really liked it!

We did a rather confused and slightly scattered debrief just after you left. Some minutes from that:

- Micromanaged leading works really well for RPS. We pull a lot more than out own weight when we are directed often and in great detail. Likely because we don't work with formalised manoeuvres, and do the same kind of thing often, so people don't get into the habit of doing stuff according to a set plan.

- Smoke and NV seems to work really well, especially during the first crucial couple of minutes of an assault. It's pretty easy to push people all the way back to the spawn through a cloud of smoke. Then it's "only" a matter of holding them in there, while they switch out their optics for IRNV...

- We need to be better at holding together spontaneously. Sticking together should be the norm, not the exception, as it currently is.

- What did I miss from the debrief?

I was really happy with the idea of theme weeks from the last outfit meeting. Did anything ever come of that? Should we do a "squad cohesion" week? I'll make a post!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    - Micromanaged leading works really well for RPS.
    This has always gone down well when I've squad-led in the past, mainly because I talk. A lot. With instructions like "stay to the right of these buildings because there's a lot of fire from the tower, stack up on the door, three, two one murder everyone in the room!" - it works.

Obscure Node
    Just finished an extended session, towards the end of which I was in Charlie Squad led first by Ksempac then by Tatourmi. We focused heavily on squad cohesion and acting together. I've a couple thoughts on it before I finally get some sleep:

-We occasionally got stretched out over long distances, or when running across bases. This led to us coming in as more of a trail than a solid wedge on the offense. I think the best way to avoid this is to move in "steps"; have the point man move to, say, the next building, then the squad holds there and waits for the entire group to be together again. They then proceed from building to building or rock to rock, clearing each and reforming each time.

-More medics. Also, I'm beginning to think we should always try to have 2/3 Maxes, since they've proved highly effective at point offense and defense.

-We still really need to learn how to defend a point building properly; holding position and aiming on a door, not popping out for pop-shots, all that stuff. Perhaps it would make a good topic for a second Theme Week?

-"Blob" really needs to become a standardised command, even just for comedic value.

Sunday 28th July 2013: Platoon 1: Delta
    =========================
    We ran out of room and I offered to open Delta mid evening. Oddly no one joined me for quite a while but hey ho lol!!! Even funnier was that after trundling around on my own for a bit I then didn't notice when people actually DID join so sorry for the slight silence to start off We started up to the NE of Eisa and things went smoothly. We had quite a bit of out of base fighting in the hills (which I do really enjoy). Once things we cleared up all squads met up to take the Octagon. This is the first time I've been near the place and it reminded me of some medieval castle! Not really a fan of the vehicle bay dumping things outside of the wall, trying to get gunners in alive is quite tough there, but we got into armour in the end. We came across quite a bit of armour just South of the Octagon and managed to push through it on the way to Bridge Ward. Although we took this reasonably well we had enemies to the West in the hills that needed sorting before we could carry on with our push. I think somewhere about that time Eso arrived and set up an air squad which was perfect as we were starting to struggle with Reavers. Next Delta were sent SW to Old Shore and once we'd managed to get off the ice (with a rather nice, but luckily harasser free, crossing) and behind them in the hills we took it without much fuss. Our last mission for the session was Frostbite Harbor, yes right against their warpgate! Firstly we tried a direct base assault but even with the backup of the air squad we were struggling with the constant flow of backup from their warpgate. Once Elli tower fell Alpha and Charlie were freed up to help so Delta took the ridge to the SW of Frostbite to try and stem the tide from their warpgate. It was probably our best action of the night in a pretty harsh spot. We managed to keep a sundy up most of the time although sometimes we were down to just my tattered corpse lol! It did tie down quite a large armour force though so hats off to all you Delta guys for a tenacious hold there! After this capped we all headed over to Ymir for a Harasser race to the TR warpgate, no cheating of course... A good night methinks!
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Paratrooping works! And it's fun! We had about 8 paratroopers and one amazing pilot (HiggC take a bow!). We mostly did LA drops with loads of C4 and put hilarious amounts of the stuff on armoured targets to make them go boom. The strikes themselves were short lived, effective for destroying armour and fun. If doing this suicide runs it's best to target armour because infantry just get res'd so quickly. We also dropped a point a couple of times and had medics with us. That can also be very useful to move the fight forward. We moved on once the friendly zerg caught up with us.

What we could do better in future:
    * use paratroops in regular play - rather than having a dedicated squad for a whole evening just do it for a few minutes when it would be useful.
    * do different drops - we mostly did LA bombing runs but hacking turrets, capping points and holding them with medics, max crashes and long range AV would also be really useful.
    * work on the comms - we found it awkward having a pilot in a separate squad because they couldn't see the squad point etc. Also coordinating effectively to avoid downtime is tricky. However, we did have a good amount of success having targets called out so thanks all for that.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Alpha Squad Leader, StratGir 2013/07/01:

After the inital mass-drop on to Indar Comm, with it's nice gang of cheating defenders, we then managed to make an absolute mess of pulling harrasers to get to Indar Exc.

From then on however, we settled into something of a role we'd fill for the rest of the night - flanking squad. For the attack on Quartz ridge, we snuck a sunderer up above and came at them from the south (ish). For attacking Hvar Northgate, we went through the south gate and then brought a Sunderer up within the south walls.

When the second attack on Hvar stalled, we went back to warpgate and did a balcony drop, which led to a continued, progressive fight within the tech plant building itself, which is something the squad as a whole agreed we'd really seen and also enjoyed. This move (joined later by bravo and charlie) seemed to be key in the actual capture of the tech plant.

Even at Allatum, after being the first on the scene to resecure Research, we aimed to flank as part of the max crash - it turned out the opposition was light enough for it not to matter, but it had become part of the night's doctrine.

There were some problems with maintaining squad cohesion throughout. Squad members often took a lot of cajoling to get to group up (although there were points where it worked naturally very well, inside Hvar and on foot from ridge to ridge at Indar Ex), and a few members repeatedly needed shouting at whenever we tried to group up. I also didn't do a very good job of managing squad composition, often being too vauge, and not seeing the problem until too late.

Obscure Node
    Since Fishpig asked for some feedback, here it is:

It was my first time under your lash(er) and I had quite a fun evening.

What I liked, e.g. was you getting yourself in a dangerous position to get your squad a well placed spawn (beacon).
    Also your short and precise orders were followed adhoc and you asked for our opinions in advance to some serious decisions.

To tell the truth, I was so absorbed by the game, my memory seems a bit damaged.

Please forgive me, if I mixed you up with LaKroy at some point.

All in all, it was a cool evening, with a lot of different locations, some pretty awesome kills (a mos? being mag-killed) and great teamplay.

I picked up PL last night, which led to some good fights on Indar and a last-ditch attempt to take one of the tech plants on Amerish for the alert, which saw possibly the fastest continent redeploy I've seen for months. It was done, and everybody in gals, in less than 2 minutes, so really a massive well done to everybody for that.

The downside was the fact we were dancing to the TVA tune last night, which led to hopping all over the map to fill requests. There was also a fair bit of strategy chatter going on over the clear, which is a side effect of the new comms system, made worse by having to use TVA liaison when everybody can hear it. So, if you got frustrated last night by our inability to stay still, or the constant chatter about the TVA, I apologise! I tried to dig our heels in on several points (especially when we had pulled vehicles), but I think we did some good work and curried some points with the TVA.

We also had a debrief mid-evening, which was good. Bravo had a new SL, and it was great to chat with them and give feedback and encouragement.

EDIT: As an aside, I'll be away until Monday 12/8 now, getting married!
    Last edited by Cei; 04-08-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Congratulations Cei! [/offtopic]

Congratulations on the marriage! I missed last night - but it sounds like it was fun, anyone want to explain the server crash death nasty that seemed to stop everything?

Yeah, that was just weird. We were just finishing up the debrief at the warpgate when everybody (I think?) got disconnected from the server. Those with SSDs were back in game within about 2 minutes, and it all seemed fine. We gathered up a squad's worth of people, plus Charlie doing air stuff, and went to battle. After a while we started noticing that we were being killed by invisible players, invisible vehicles and could do literally nothing about it - plus it was a tad laggy, even with low player counts. After being killed for the millionth time by an invisible sunderer with a grenade launcher (that didn't cause explosions, just instadeath), most people packed it in for the night.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I had a lot of issues yesterday with disconnections and crashes in the afternoon (it seemed to be the case with quite a lot of people in the squad). I'm guessing something was a bit funny on the server...

I played for about an hour yesterday and then quit after I got a CTD.

While I have to say our PL (I forgot the name) did a good job and the SLs seemed to follow orders and keep their squads on their respective objectives, I was still disappointed. This comes mainly from the in-squad teamwork and communication. Everyone was in the same mumble and most people would have a problem distinguishing voices between squads efficiently. When we are all in the same channel our Platoon goes to waypoints, but when we are there the grunts mostly run about as headless chickens without communicating much to others.

Now, I haven't played that much with all of you. I joined a few weeks before I went on an extensive vacation during June/July, but it seems to be a recurring problem. Almost every time I join everyone is in the same channel with mostly PL/SL and a few others speaking. There is no communication about who went down where, if you need a heal, if you need ammo, what classes you are bringing into play.

I understand that there is a social part in the game and you want to play with a lot of people, but you can talk to 12 people in a squad (might have the wrong number in my head) while promoting a more efficient RPS. Pretty much always after I start playing I suggest we split up into squad channels, which usually works well. But even then a lot of people remain silent.

To conclude I would urge two things:
    1. Split up into squads for more efficient gameplay. Especially if squads are sent to different objectives.
    2. Be vocal in your squad-mumble. If you don't want to talk a lot, at least relay information on enemies etc.
    PS2 Ingame: Agenious
    Mumble: Age

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agemman View Post
    Almost every time I join everyone is in the same channel with mostly PL/SL and a few others speaking. There is no communication about who went down where, if you need a heal, if you need ammo, what classes you are bringing into play.
    I would say you had a bit of bad luck, because lately it seems we have been running with split comms and enforced more tactical play most days (much thanks to the squad cohesion week). I think it is likely that the regular squad and platoon leaders were a bit worn out and perhaps preferred some very casual play. For a while yesterday, half the outfit were playing on the test server as well.

TacGir was invented to provide a format for tight tactical play within the outfit, whenever someone is interested. If there are enough people online and interested, this is an alternative to running about like headless chickens. It requires that there is someone willing to lead though, but don't be afraid to try that out yourself. Have a plan (good or bad does not matter), don't stress, make sure your squad sticks together. Fundamentally, it is not hard, and can become very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    I would say you had a bit of bad luck, because lately it seems we have been running with split comms and enforced more tactical play most days (much thanks to the squad cohesion week). I think it is likely that the regular squad and platoon leaders were a bit worn out and perhaps preferred some very casual play. For a while yesterday, half the outfit were playing on the test server as well.

TacGir was invented to provide a format for tight tactical play within the outfit, whenever someone is interested. If there are enough people online and interested, this is an alternative to running about like headless chickens. It requires that there is someone willing to lead though, but don't be afraid to try that out yourself. Have a plan (good or bad does not matter), don't stress, make sure your squad sticks together. Fundamentally, it is not hard, and can become very rewarding.
    It might very well be bad luck.

I have already been SL and PL for a TacGir platoon, but that was back in early June before I went away. I am not in the least afraid of leading a squad. I might just try to lead some more then.
    PS2 Ingame: Agenious
    Mumble: Age

We had an impromptu Lasher+Lancer squad up on a spire near Snake Ravine Lookout last evening, which was very effective. We could Lasher the base and Lancer all the armor that came to support the enemy. Between us we probably wasted 8 prowlers, 4 lightnings, a few sundies, a mossy or 2 and at least one vanguard. And a whole load of infantry. My score/hr looked like it was double xp weekend.

Plus, it was good fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agemman View Post
    I have already been SL and PL for a TacGir platoon, but that was back in early June before I went away. I am not in the least afraid of leading a squad. I might just try to lead some more then.
    I like the sound of that. Hope to see you leading in the future, we always need more squad leaders!