Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Information transfer. Tricky thing to pull off properly.

Charlie had a good time yesterday, I believe. We went with a lot of tanks, and our lack of territory control, and hence resource income, was a bit of a problem, as were all the Striker spam. We did manage to melt a good amount of TR armour though, especially during that first Snowshear assault!

Overall, I had a good time, but it was rather tiring. People stuck together nice and fine when I had the energy to remind them of it constantly, but started drifting apart when I grew a little tired later on in the night. So, a gentle reminder: try to stick together on your own. In the best of worlds, I'd like not to have to tell people to group up, but we're not quite there yet. When we're running an armour group, we need to learn to be more cautious, especially in situations like the one last night, where we're nearly warpgated and get very few resources. It's really crucial to keep vehicles alive, and we do this by staying close so we can support eachother, by not overextending outside of the area that we control and by not moving in towards a base without proper infantry support. This is especially true of the important support vehicles (Sundies and Skyguards).

I may sound a bit negative here, but I had a really good time yesterday, and you guys in Charlie were good to play with. Just pointing out the few things that were sometimes bothering me. Keep up the good work, and let's just keep working on the team play!

Going to give my own AAR that I have on my forums but with only the Esamir portion (I had a 5 hour leading session xD) Since I ran into tacgir at one time :P

We arrived on Esamir after having spent the last 30 minutes on Amerish ghost capping for the Clash of Outfits. Eventually Sankaku changed continents to indar and since there was a queue we went to Esamir.

There we began with a gal drop resecure of Snowshear watch tower. Landing and purging the Vanu troops and even gaining pop advantage of 60% - 40%. After our smashing victory I ordered bravo to push to Palos with our zerg while me and Alpha re-deployed and resecured Aurora Material Labs.

After a long 30 minutes of me barking at my troops whom were outnumbered (and in some cases getting them "Commissioned") we manage to hold the point and even push the VS. It was GREAT fight, even if my troops fucked up very hard at one point.

While that happened Bravo squad had begun requesting assistance whom I told would receive it when we finished our fight there. Eventually we did and gal dropped to Snowshear. There we pulled AP tanks and flanked enemy armor, doing so left our rear exposed to the enemy warpgate. We destroyed the majority of the VS armor but as they started pulling more from their warpgate they hit us in the rear and eventually only 2 prowlers survived.

Either way with the enemy tanks dead and our own shelling the enemy infantry bravo had managed to advance to palos, crossing the no mans land. A sundy deployed and we began to hard cap the point. The VS constantly attempted to push hard onto a triple floor building right outside their spawn room and to the left of the point. The majority of my platoon was there keeping them at bay.

It began to seem like an easy cap when I got told over the comms of VS magrider reinforcements. It was actually quite a beautiful scene, about 5 of them with lightnings in the distance shelling it out with our few remaining tanks.

The VS armor won the battle, destroying our sundy and as that happened there was only about a minute left till cap when a surge of VS reached the point through an alternate path. Having most of my troops in the building I mentioned earlier caused us to not be able and react in time and without sundies we ran out of spawn options and got destroyed.

Me, being one of the most competitive leaders of FU and having one of the best fight in months, decided to just try the grind again. So back to snowshear it was. This time bravo pulled armor...and that's it for the next 30 minutes because there leader is to used to the hand holding of Hadouken *facepalm*. A small story behind that, won't go into it though :P

READ HERE ONWARDS FOR RPS PART ONLY

Anyways the usual trench warfare began in which my squad rather then blindly push forward decided to flank enemies and then push. Doing so sent us far to the north, we needed to head northeast. TAW outfit from the TR brought an armor column towards our position, one which lasted extremely little as a dumb smile formed on my face. It was RPS killing them with AV troops!

I now knew what alpha was going to do! We had to kill RPS just for the hell of it!...and get rid of the AV threat obviously :P

I did a couple of dumb things which killed about half my squad and when we reached the crystal formation which we were going to use for cover an RPS magrider showed up and began shelling us. A few seconds later an RPS fury harrasser showed up and your infantry had pushed to the opposite side of the cover we were in.

I'm still amazed at how we had survived, there was at one point perhaps only 2 or 3 medics left but hey, better for us! Eventually the magrider died to combined AV fire and the fury which had gotten greedy also got destroyed...not without killing me for a last time though 7.7

I placed a spawn beacon just as your infantry came around the corner and fought with my own. About 8 people from my squad dropped with the spawn beacon and I alone managed to kill 3 of you before my squad killed the rest.

Morale high it was time to push forward. I divided my squad into 2 fireteams, 7-12 were to attract your attention with supressive fire while 1-6 pushed forward through the side flank. It worked beautifully as we hit you from the side. The fight continued until for about 5 minutes and eventually you loosed your sundy and we had a foothold on Palos.

That's when I gave the order to bravo to bring a sundy in when he said the worst thing he could have said to me at that moment. Lots of barking at them for what they had been doing and eventually due to me being distracted and not leading my squad we got a wipe at Palos.

Either way you VS had taken "b" and "c" from Snowshear so we had to re-secure it. We did so taking about 5 minutes. RPS had come back with about a squad of magriders which we joked about that it must have been because we had gotten you mad.

Bravo was then to get tanks and hold off your tanks while alpha took palos along with the rest of TR forces who now had a massive momentum advantage. A sundy got deployed and we took the point. This time we held up in the same building as the 1st time we had been there with me and a medic holding the point with some pubbies.

After another insane fun fight in palos when there was 1 minute left I ordered all my troops to the point, as this happened we lost our sundy as well via suicide AT mines. Just as last time a sudden surge of VS came but having learned from our mistakes we were ready to confront them. Needless to say we beated them down and then the base was capped. The /y filled with our guys' cheering :P

We had been grinding there for quite a while to say the least and during all of it we had been having a blast. So on that note I decided to get off for a while and our platoon disbanded. I had been leading for 5 hours already :P

-------
    Final notes: Our guys' played VERY well yesterday. Like insanely good. I haven't had a run like this since June when I lead FU's morning squads. So hats off to everyone who played with me last evening.

My complaint: People take too long to re-deploy to warpgate many times or they just don't hear me. We should take less then 1 minute for a rapid redeploy, we took between 3-5 minutes. When in the combat area they were generally responsive but dear god those redeploys make me want to shoot myself, or rather shoot them.
    -----------
    Small part to add for you RPS fellas :P

You played well last night at Palos You did a freaking great ambush on TAW (I used to be in their outfit also :P) whom after losing their tanks re-deployed to fight NC xD

And when you pushed us is when you failed slightly. You pushed with about half a squad, 2 infils, a heavy, a medic and a engie. You should have pushed us with EVERYTHING. You had us suppressed behind rocks barely alive due to your fury and maggie but you sent very little people after us o.0
    I think with pubbies that would have work but for organized outfits you're better off pressing the advantage.

After that when my guys did the suppression and push maneuver. Well....honestly you should just shoot the HA I killed whom was using a Lancer against infantry :P

But yeah, the pulling your own armor after us killing you there was a brilliant move although I saw that you guys were near the tower rather then the No Man's Land. I understand why I suppose, to harass the tower and cover your infantry who were going to take the points but with a TR foot zerg across No Man's Land I would have placed your troops in our way to try and halt our momentum.

Anyways, FU had loads of fun last night and the fights were really challenging for me as the leader so I tip my hat off to you guys :P
    Last edited by Adenn; 16-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.

We always seem to get good fights against FU, tough and even more often than not, so thanks! I led an armour squad during that fight at Palos/Snowshear, and we hid behind those purple spikes, for a good while, waiting for some infantry support to start pushing at Snowshear. That was the high point of the evening, as far as I'm concerned.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Thanks for the thorough report Adenn.
    Agreed there was some good fighting last night - the armour pull was good for Charlie and done well.

Yep, we did good there, I think. People need to be a bit more cautious with their Mags, and perhaps especially Sundies, though.

I would agree.

Two things I'd maybe say in criticism
    - Make sure that sundies are gunned when we're rolling out in a few busses. 6 in one and 2 in another doesn't make sense.
    - I really appreciated your constant squad waypointing (it was brilliant) but I'd say we could have done a bit better with starting off together as a group. So rather than "form up by me next to X building" start with "form up at the sundy and we'll move to X". As a group we stuck together well, but if we needed to meet up somewhere it wasn't so tight.

That's my only notes in an otherwise enjoyable evening - cheers again Eso.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated when constructive.

I would be very interested in trying to run a true combined arms platoon some day. Maybe for next StratGir Thursday. One squad always in Tanks/Harassers, one squad always in the air with a small FOB, two squads infantry. We would play for controlling terrain before controlling territory; take and hold the high ground, ensure spawn options for friendly troops etc. Tank squad would focus on enemy armour and protecting our Sundies. Air group would do a combination of close air support and air deterrent. Infantry squads would support our armour and air when moving across open ground, suppressing and/or assaulting any enemy AV locations etc. When we approach a base, the infantry would push in, hopefully being rather secure in knowing that someone else will be watching out for their spawn Sundies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Wouldn't mind some more vehicle-play from RPS.

I thought yesterday went reasonably well, the squad I was in (Bravo) was competently lead by case, even if he thought we were charlie (he must have said the wrong squad-name like 30 times). We stayed together well, sunderers were pulled and we had a couple of good fights and after a while there was some good banter in the squad as well. I don't require more than that from a night with rps.

Great job Eso, enjoyed Charlie last night and your leadership was great. Small point - over-grouping can cause an issue in armour, especially if enemy libs start getting their act together.
    Statistical reasons not to follow me into battle on PS2 here: Stoopiduk

Friendly on Steam, Twitter and Twitch. Origin: Stoopiduk Battlenet tag: stoopiduk#2888

Activated Node
    \o/ more marauding! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by mrpier View Post
    Wouldn't mind some more vehicle-play from RPS.

I thought yesterday went reasonably well, the squad I was in (Bravo) was competently lead by case, even if he thought we were charlie (he must have said the wrong squad-name like 30 times). We stayed together well, sunderers were pulled and we had a couple of good fights and after a while there was some good banter in the squad as well. I don't require more than that from a night with rps.
    I agree Bravo worked rather well lastnight, we stuck together, followed basic objectives (such as Take and Defend Horizontal Gen etc) and when asked to redeploy and reinforce we did immediately.
    Our only gripe really for the new coms was a lack of direct communication between squads, or atleast between squadleaders. If I'm leading and I'm to reinforce a squad like pulling armour or bringing in backup Sundies etc I'd have liked to talk to the in trouble Squad leader to ask where he/she needs me.

Quote Originally Posted by stoopiduk View Post
    Great job Eso, enjoyed Charlie last night and your leadership was great. Small point - over-grouping can cause an issue in armour, especially if enemy libs start getting their act together.
    Yes, that is true. Our Mags need their space to get any use out of their mobility advantage. I didn't mean to imply that we should all bunch up like fish in a barrel, but neither can we run off alone, hunting our prey across the road, or across the hills, or past the one thing giving us cover from Striker Tower. That's more the thing I wanted to get at.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated when constructive.

I would be very interested in trying to run a true combined arms platoon some day. Maybe for next StratGir Thursday. One squad always in Tanks/Harassers, one squad always in the air with a small FOB, two squads infantry. We would play for controlling terrain before controlling territory; take and hold the high ground, ensure spawn options for friendly troops etc. Tank squad would focus on enemy armour and protecting our Sundies. Air group would do a combination of close air support and air deterrent. Infantry squads would support our armour and air when moving across open ground, suppressing and/or assaulting any enemy AV locations etc. When we approach a base, the infantry would push in, hopefully being rather secure in knowing that someone else will be watching out for their spawn Sundies.
    Combined arms is awesome, and what the game is about. I'd love to see more of this.

On a related note: what shall we have as a theme for the coming week? Discussion to take place in the appropriate thread...
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Adenn View Post
    And when you pushed us is when you failed slightly. You pushed with about half a squad, 2 infils, a heavy, a medic and a engie. You should have pushed us with EVERYTHING. You had us suppressed behind rocks barely alive due to your fury and maggie but you sent very little people after us o.0
    I think with pubbies that would have work but for organized outfits you're better off pressing the advantage.
    That's where you're wrong. That was Delta Squad, who were there to hold and distract, while Charlie and Alpha flanked in to Snowshear and got on the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Adenn View Post
    But yeah, the pulling your own armor after us killing you there was a brilliant move although I saw that you guys were near the tower rather then the No Man's Land.
    Actually, Charlie squad was running that armour from when we first deployed to Esa. Alpha lost their tanks (I think 2-3, as Alpha was half strength) earlier at Palos. But Charlie kept the majority of their mags for pretty much all of the Palos/Snowshear battle, until we relocated to Freyr (after you guys and several squads of randoms swarmed us off the points at Snowshear. Seriously, there was ~60 TR just moving in a big ball from B to C.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    That's where you're wrong. That was Delta Squad, who were there to hold and distract, while Charlie and Alpha flanked in to Snowshear and got on the points.

Actually, Charlie squad was running that armour from when we first deployed to Esa. Alpha lost their tanks (I think 2-3, as Alpha was half strength) earlier at Palos. But Charlie kept the majority of their mags for pretty much all of the Palos/Snowshear battle, until we relocated to Freyr (after you guys and several squads of randoms swarmed us off the points at Snowshear. Seriously, there was ~60 TR just moving in a big ball from B to C.
    Actually during the majority of the fight it was 48+ vanu to 24-48 TR :3 I know because I make a note of making sure we have an even fight everywhere I go :3

Anyways, I'm saying what I saw. I didn't even know you guys had a full platoon. Either way at the delta squad encounter, all of delta squad should have pushed forward.

Activated Node
    The past few days I've been leading a squad or a very small platoon during the afternoon/late afternoon/early evening and I've gotta admit, stuff from the squad cohesion week is definitely being remembered. It's been very easy to lead and everyone's been extremely responsive to commands given.

We had a solid 15 minute defence of a single point going the other day and we gave as good as we got earlier this afternoon against ROWN and INI (I even killed Daddy). I'll openly admit the success we've experienced has little to do with my leadership and more with the fact people have been able to manage themselves effectively!

This is less 'after action' and more a thank you to the guys who've been in the squads I've been doing. They're great fun to lead and I hope you've been enjoying the fights we've been getting!

Yeah this weekend has been a lot of fun. Cheers twenny. Highlight was chasing after Daddy in a battle Gal piloted by CMaster then thoroughly regretting it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Last night we performed a remarkable defense against equal numbers of NC at Mani Biolab, under the the leadership of fishfoodcarl. It was a hard and very fun battle with waves and waves of scatMAXes. It ended with success as we kicked the NC off the last satellite base. Well played by all involved and thanks for the great leading, fishfoodcarl!

I forgot about that LaKroy. That was an amazing little while. Moving from landing pad to landing pad. Sending in concs etc. Leadership was loose but given the situation perfect. Carl saw that everyone was working together well so only needed to shout out focus points. Brilliant.