Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Sundy fortresses are brilliant. You don't see them much anymore, despite them being incredibly effective at pushing frontlines. Would definitely enjoy taking part in this kind of tactics more often.
    You should come play with us more then

Yeah the sundy fortress we did in training that time, where we set up in front of an enemy warpgate, was great fun Lasted for quite some time too, as I recall.

We should definitely do it more often.

Activated Node
    i was in an impromptu sundy fortress the other day and it was actually really fun being a light assault going up into the cliffs to hit enemy A-T turrets

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My preferred form of sundy fortress is the forward operating base, supporting air or tanks or infantry pushes, or all of the above. The sundy blob has always seemed like a terrible waste of effort and resources, while an FOB can be really effective in facilitating the success of others, an anchor in the shifting tides of war.

But that's just me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After Action Report - 2014-07-28: Stranded and alone

We were on the way to or target, an isolated base on Hossin, with Bravo and Delta squad when our pilot lost control of the Galaxy. We started to go down and were instructed to bail, lest we'd die in the burning wreckage of our transport. Dropping down, I could see the Bravo and Delta gal go down as well, some distance from us. I had no idea what had hit us (and our pilot didn't know when I asked him afterwards), but what had seemed like a routine mission had quickly turned into something else...

Down on the ground the squad gathered up and I did a headcount. All were present, so we hadn't lost anyone. But we were stranded, in the middle of Smurf territory, with no support, no way of getting transports, and only a vague idea about where we were. I briefly wondered where Bravo and Delta had landed, but I wasn't sure, and was forced to make the hard decision to let them fend for themselves. My priorities were to get my own squad back to base in one piece. The other squads had strong leaders, they'd get them back. And with that, I dismissed the other squads and set to the task at hand.

It was clear that we needed to keep a low profile, and use the land to navigate. We knew roughly from with direction we had come, so that wasn't too much of a problem. But we didn't know where we had friendly, or enemy forces, and any contacts were presumed to be hostile. So we headed out in a tight group, keeping low and using cover, while our infil and our light assault scouted wherever possible.

After a short while we spotted Gourney Dam, which was caused both relief and worry. Relief because we knew where we had crashed. Worry because we were way behind enemy lines. We doubled our efforts to keep hidden, but pressed on ahead. Hugging the base of the cliffs, taking the ways which were the least likely to be used by enemy armor. The tactic seemed to work, until we suddenly heard tanks fire ahead, and saw Reavers up in the air. It seemed we were getting close to the front. But we couldn't go straight ahead, since that would take us through the Smurf forces. So we backtracked a bit, went through a quiet base and tried to make our way over a cliff.

One by one, we managed to get up to the crest of the cliff. Except for one soldier, Steve, who had hurt his leg. Despite his and our best efforts he just didn't manage to get up the cliff. We spent as much time there as we could, doing whatever possible to help him. But after a while, Steve made the choice I should have made as leader. "Go ahead without me", he said, "I'll find another way. You're just waiting time here." I didn't want to leave him behind, but he was right. We were running out of time. Any moment, a smurf tank could roll by and kill us all. Pain me though it did, the rest of us pressed on while Steve tried to find another way. His only connection to other VS his radio link to us. It couldn't have been an easy decision to take, accepting to be left behind, and he has my respect for taking it.

The rest of us sped up to make up for lost time, and soon heard tanks firing again. But this time on our left, instead of in front of us. We had reached the front. And not just that, we had reached it in a point where there were no enemy forces! We knew that a lib of smurf plane might show up any minute, so we went even faster. Crossing a road, a svamp, a small forest... And then, we saw a base. A base with VS flags on it. I could feel the whole squad relax. We were not safe, the front was less than a click away, but we were on the right side of it at least.

We hastened by the base, towards the warpgate, we Steve suddenly started describing features in the landscape that we had passed but minutes ago. We started to look around frantically, telling him to give us more details. We even shot flares up into the air to give him something to navigate towards. First he couldn't hear the flares. But then, he could. Then he saw them. And at last, we saw each other. The squad was full again. At last. And I'm not ashamed to tell you all that while the rest of the squads hugged and hooted, I had a big grin on my face while my worries about loosing one of my soldiers melted away. I welcomed him back, basked in the warm thought that none of my soldiers had died today, and we kept on going towards the warpgate.

Now, the atmosphere was relaxed, and everyone was joking. Already talking about our march here and cementing the memories. As we finally saw the dome of the warpgate we started to get reports from Bravo and Delta as well. They had lost some people, a damn shame, but most of them were on the way back as well. And as everyone in the squad had made it to the center of the warpgate and we reported back in to command, I could barely hear the replies because of the chanting of our battle motto.

"Charlie squad, best squad."

Ser Hoc,
    Charlie Squad lead,
    Hossin expedition
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Charlie squad, best squad!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Enjoy LaKroy's thing earlier.

Really enjoyed the last hour or so there on an empty Amerish with a couple of libs and gal bombing runs.

Network Hub
    Today RPS banners fly proud over the Crown, indar com array, and quarts ridge, among others. Bases which I tend to sigh when faced with taking fell to us like putty. Only once where we driven off a point, and it was when I had split the squads. A fell mistake which was not repeated, and the glorious giraffe herd marched across Indar.

It's been a while since I've had such fun, and we had some really effective squads which I am proud to call my herd.

I hope someone took over my repair sundy after I left. Those things aren't cheap, you know. I think I would only have been able to pull 2 more at the rate we were going through them.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

We continent locked Esamir yesterday - the hard way (it was bugged).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    GG! How many rainbow bases were there?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Network Hub
    I'd just like to thank gribble for leading today. We started off with a small squad and kept a strict squad comp, and that grew into a decent tac-y alpha and bravo over the course of the evening with a LOT of fun fights.

I love seeing people stick together under fire, that alone made the evening shine.

And it's all thanks to gribble, for leading us. 3 cheers for Gribble's Hungover Maddness.
    Disclaimer:
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I'd just like to thank gribble for leading today. We started off with a small squad and kept a strict squad comp, and that grew into a decent tac-y alpha and bravo over the course of the evening with a LOT of fun fights.

I love seeing people stick together under fire, that alone made the evening shine.

And it's all thanks to gribble, for leading us. 3 cheers for Gribble's Hungover Maddness.
    I even got to kill him a few times, too.

I got a few of your lot too Mr Boots... Also I like Hornets now.

I'm not sure I can take much credit for this episode, I was monstrously hungover and left before things got really interesting.

Network Hub
    But you were still leading! We didn't let you of the hook that easily.
    Disclaimer:

Obscure Node
    Screens from tonight's Silly Sundy Swarm

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Silly sundy swarms aren't silly!! They are legit MLG pro tactics. Also, repair sundies are always awesome.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    What: Rock Planet Shotgun (or at least some members of) try doing something in Planetside that's a little different. Probably not the most efficient, or the easiest to pull off, but hopefully pretty entertaining.
    As far as I understood this original post, the main point of silly mondays is not to do something not MLG pro but rather do something unusual and entertaining.
    I did find the Sundy Swarms were both "silly" and "MLG pro" (that is both entertaining and efficient).

By the way this is the kind of silly monday I do enjoy most - having fun coupled with a bit of killing stuff (I don't think we were that MLG pro before on a silly monday, but I think of things like the Zombie Event).
    Needless to say I found the Sundy Swarm most entertaining thanks for pulling it off (whoever that was)!
    Planetside 2: Qw33r / Qw33rT;
    Steam: Qw33r

Network Hub
    I think lakroy may have suggested we sundy up.
    Then I took it too far, as is right and proper.
    Disclaimer:

What is wrong with me?
    Why don't I speak up?
    This evening, when it was asked if anyone in Bravo could drop a spawn beacon, I just sat there as quiet as.. well, as a spawn beacon.
    I pushed to talk, opened my mouth, but nothing came out.
    Deep down inside, I knew it was because I was afraid I'd totally blow it.. even though I do know how to deploy one.
    Now, here's the terrible part.
    Even though I felt like a useless jerk for the rest of the evening, the chances are extremely high that I will react the same way the next time this question is asked.
    I know, it's horrible!
    I also know that the only way I can overcome this is to be asked/told directly.
    SL: "SweetMama, do you have a spawn beacon."
    SM: Yes, sir."
    SL: Deploy it.
    SM: Yes, sir."
    After which, I will probably throw out my C4 and kill everyone. (And yes, I actually do know they deploy in completely different ways.)
    Truly, though, I feel this would only need doing a couple of times before I found the confidence (and voice) to take the initiative, myself.
    I know this smacks of preferential treatment, and an SL shouldn't have to bother with such stuff, but someone, somehow needs to put me on the spot. Because, obviously, I will not do it to myself.
    Anyway, sorry Bravo for my lackluster team performance.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Actually.... I think calling out people to do things by name helps generally. If it provides a push to someone who wouldn't otherwise step up, or just jogs someone into something that they forget or haven't formed a habit around it's good. Also more people speaking up in channel is good, we are getting better at keeping the chatter down in tactical situations - now we need to dilute the chatterboxes!

For beacon passing, we should remember:
    P takes you to the platoon list - then promote using the arrow button.
    The PL cannot promote SLs or they don't get beacons -this is one of few arguments for not having a PL/SL
    If you stop being SL your beacon vanishes (including deployed ones)
    Beacon deployment cooldowns continue to run when you are not SL, rotation is key!