Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Pope Resigned!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I am talking about that POPE, the Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, Benedict XVI!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/11/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

I thought a Pope has to remain in his position if I am correct? At least that's so if one doesn't commit major mistake. First thing first, sex scandal among the church cannot be considered his fault, for which have been long existing before his reign.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Maybe Degenerating mental illness? Can't have a 'crazy' Pope now can we?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Precident and mechanism exists for the pope to resign, for whatever reason he wants.

Wikipedia

It's fairly rare though, only three (according to that page anyhow) had done so.

According to the Vatican, he's quitting due to the infirmity of advanced age - including a stroke. Apparently he actually wanted to resign his cardinalship (cardinality?) for a while for health reasons, but kept on at the urging of the previous Pope.

Apparently he's got Parkinson's disease, which is some seriously nasty business.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Maybe he has cancer or something similar.

I like better (much more) the previous one, the poland one.
    Hope the next one is more open.

The vatican has being making fighting AIDS harder, and other stuff, If the next one is more open to new ideas, some lives will be saved.

We don't have real big problems with the vatican. The bigger problem whe have now is a war "religion vs womens" in all the third world countries, ... with huge rape rates. Part of it is the lame view of womens that islam have, another one is customs,...
    We have tamed christianism, but the next target is much harder: tame the islam.

I write "islam" but is more the customs than the religion itself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Head of a regressive institution steps down, possible future head of regressive institution may replace him.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I always thought being Pope was like being in a gang, blood in blood out.

My opinion of his street cred has dropped massively yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Head of a regressive institution steps down, possible future head of regressive institution may replace him.
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    My opinion of his street cred has dropped massively yo.
    Two words: Bulletproof Popemobile.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    We have tamed christianism

No I don't think we have to be honest not letting Woman be Bishops and there appaling treatment over in Africa, the Gay Marriage issue and the whole sex scandal means there as backwards as they were and not much has changed or will change except if they just radically decide to be different.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The next Pope is the last one according to St. Malachy's prophecy. Imagine the conspiracy theories if he's black!

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Maybe he has cancer or something similar.
    I doubt it's anything quite that serious. The most likely explanation is simply his age. Nowadays, the pope is expected to frequently travel across the globe, no matter how old he is. I'd imagine that has to take a toll on his health. Even more so since, unlike John Paul II, Benedict never seemed to be very comfortable with his role. He struck me as the kind of person who would much rather sit at home and work in private, instead of acting as the official spokesperson of one of the largest institutions in the world.

The interesting question is what his successor will be like. I don't think we'll see any drastic policy changes. The liberal voices within the Catholic Church are mostly found among the priests and nuns, whereas the cardinals tend to be fairly conservative. Not to mention Benedict himself generally held the same opinions as his predecessor, JPII. What we might see is a non-European pope, most likely one from Africa or South America.

Prolonged use of the dark side of the Force finally took its toll.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I guess it's not all that shocking. He's an old man, and 85 is quite old for a Pope, most have died before that age.
    steam: sketch

Well he was the grand inquisitor before that. And he apparently always said that in case he became unfit to do his duties, he'd step back.

Also, sadly, it might be the only "good" decision he's made as a pope, but then again, its just some crazy religion.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Amusing to hear Radio 4 using a hastily reworded obituary to cover this yesterday.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Christopher Hitchens speaks from beyond the grave;

The Popes' entire career has the stench of evil about it.

I was very disappointed that the news scrambled to find as many devout Christians in positions of power as they could to tell us how terrible and upsetting this news was. Come on, give us an atheist, or at least another religion!

Quote Originally Posted by Koozer View Post
    I was very disappointed that the news scrambled to find as many devout Christians in positions of power as they could to tell us how terrible and upsetting this news was. Come on, give us an atheist, or at least another religion!
    A chorus of "we don't care" doesn't make good news.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

The thing that has me really miffed is why Cameron and Labour's Plasticine Man both put out statements about how terribly sad they are about it. Why say anything?