Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Indeed, DDR3 is quite affordable, and while I'm not sure if going from 4 to 8 gigs has a decent impact on current games, it's smart to save two slots on the mobo for that upgrade, if you can.

Mind you, ram is a component where you don't want to go for cheap - get a decent brand and double-check your motherboard and cpu ram compatibility tables on their vendor's sites. It might seem excessive work but it could save you headaches and a RMA.

You're welcome. :)
    Is "Luis_MagalhŃes" on the RPS comment threads.
    My games-related blog: http://gamingmarmite.blogspot.com/
    Make fun of me for all the games I own and haven't finished: http://backloggery.com/ash_firelord
    Feel free to add me on twitter if you want to know my semi-regular opinions on game stuff: @luis_maga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    My motherboard is weird. It's got 4 x DDR2 slots, and 2 x DDR3. I've opted for 2 x 2GB DDR3, and I'll take the DDR2 out.

I went for Kingston CL7 stuff. It was less than ú10 for 2GB, which is a bargain.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Right, my new memory finally arrived today (I paid economy and it shipped 'next day'. Huh), and my system feels a little snappier as I've got 4GB in 2x2GB and dual channel. Yay!

Anno 1404 is still CRCing, but it could be a dodgy disc as everything else seems to be fine now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash_firelord View Post
    Keep in mind that modern ram usually is made to work in pairs. So if you 3G are 3x1G, that could be causing performance issues as well. And even if it's 1x2G and 1x1G...
    Dual channel was originally designed to counter the fact that a CPU's front side bus speed was so much faster than the RAM speed. As RAM speed increased while the FSB didn't, that kind of became irrelevant.

Now, modern processors and chipsets don't actually use the FSB to communicate with the RAM. They use something different the name of which escapes me right now (and I think it's different for AMD or Intel). It's certainly a lot faster than FSB, but because it works differently, I haven't been able to get a clear answer on whether or not dual channel makes much of a difference with that.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    It's certainly a lot faster than FSB, but because it works differently, I haven't been able to get a clear answer on whether or not dual channel makes much of a difference with that.
    The last time I read something about that it was marginally, 1-3%.
    AMD: HyperTransport
    Intel: QuickPath Interconnect