Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar

Kentucky Route Zero

Spoilers ahead obviously.

This is probably the closest thing I've ever played to something like Dear Ester or 30 Flights. Those games* just don't appeal to me. I usually like a lot more story or gameplay in my games and certainly more length.

KRZ to me is like a point and click, but without the terrible inventory management. There is no looking around the screen for object A and B, combine them to make C and use C on interactive object D to progress to the next screen. There are essentially just people to talk to, objects to interact with and a cold soundtrack. I'll get back to that later.

The gameplay isn't up to much. You read what people are saying, you click on some objects for more information and some stuff happens. But it's the stuff that happens that makes it interesting. Because the stuff that happens isn't being explained yet. And I want to know why it's happening. Some of it is a bit obvious such as #THIS IS WHERE THE SPOILERS ACTUALLY COME IN#
    "I bet she's a ghost, I bet those people playing D&D where too and I bet if I go back to the gas station the attendant was never actually there". I never went back. I can be a bit of a coward when it comes to games that have scary/spooky elements in them and unknown to me this bloody game does.

When I came down from the house on the hill for the first time and there were silhouettes standing, in the forest, playing music befitting Deliverance, I froze. When I was in the mine I thought it would be a good idea to turn my torch off because the lighting in the game seemed impressive and I wanted to see would those little sparks light up much of the track. I regretted doing it when after each flash more and more figures appeared in the background making me turn my torch on. They were gone. At the end of the mine I for some reason thought I had to sit there in the dark, so I did. The music seemed to get louder and I just wanted Shannon (I believe?) to come back. Unless of course she wasn't coming back because maybe she was dead too.

Is everyone dead? Am I dead? Is my dog dead or alive and he's just visiting the last places he remembers his owner going? I don't know the answers to any of these, but I want to. So I think I'll be picking this up. I just canít decide if I want to go for episodic content or wait until the end and get it all at once.

#SPOILERS END#

Back to the sound for a moment. The audio in this game is great. It adds such great atmosphere to it. The visuals are nothing to be sniffed at either. I love that most of the time you're not going from screen to screen, but rather darkness lights up as you move around the one singular screen.
    So who has played it? What did you think?

*For the purpose of this topic we will all just agree to call these things games so we do not diverge into yet another "Wot is video games" debate. Anyone who deviates from this agreement obviously didn't read this little part or has decided to troll anyway.

I don't like it at all. Too much reading, it's like a freakin book.

GFx is nice, but I thought it was about puzzles.
    Next time I'm watching the "spoilers".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    ... there's very little reading, really.

But I thought it was a very interesting experiment. I'll replay chapter 1 to try to discover the hidden scenes once chapter 2 is out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Yeah compared to something like any final fantasy pre-10, any baulders gate style game etc there's almost very little reading. Nobody says more than a sentence or two at a time.

Compare that to something like Dragon Age where they claim there's something like a couple of novels worth of reading.

I really enjoyed it. There isn't a huge amount of interaction with the environment, but there are constantly little choices, and the atmosphere and bits of story are great. Unlike To The Moon, it doesn't insert non-plot-related puzzles every so often to make sure you're paying attention. The sound is very effective, and movement speed feels "right" most of the time. I liked the text adventures within the game, but I can see that those probably aren't for everyone. Most of them are optional (so far), though.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I really enjoyed it in terms of the unorthodox approach taken to it Vs other games of the same ilk. Having read the RPS interviews about the developers and compared the final game to the original kickstarter pitch video: -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...adventure-game

it's quite pronounced how much the developers transformed the project in terms of both the aesthetic and design having opted to look to theatrical stage sets as starting point when fashioning the game world.

Albeit there's not much there in terms of game play to the extent that I'm not entirely sure whether I'd classify it as a game, Vs interactive narrative I really enjoyed driving around the map and experiencing the random moments and the occasional mini text adventures that were thrown up on my travels. There's some lovely little vignettes to be uncovered that not only cast some light on the state of the world (there's very much a grapes of wrath vibe underpinning everything of everyone being on the breadline), but also inform you about the character and history of Conway (the protagonist) at the same time, that resonate a lot with Telltales approach to The Walking Dead in many ways (albeit the games are quite distinct).

Definitely looking forward to future episodes.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    http://kentuckyroutezero.com/limits-and-demonstrations/

Free download from KRZ of what appears to be a fictional art retrospective set within the style of the game.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

I... Im on the fence.

For me, it gave too little information, just the first episode. I dont know if I want to find out more, as all it had going for it was the characters which were starting to become interesting, and the mood. But it didnt provide much actual story, maybe not even enough for me to pursue it with much interest.

And Im a reductionist, in a sense. (less is more and all that)

But I have to add: this game has one of the best graphical implementations AND styles. So it gets points for doing that alone, which is no easy task.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

If you bought episode 1, you now own all of them on the Humble Store. If you bought the complete edition, you got move to the Humble Store.

I thought the atmosphere of the game was great but I did not enjoy anything else about it.