Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    "If they have nothing to hide, they shouldn't have anything to fear." Now where have I heard that before?

Look, it's their company and they have a right to privacy. If there's nothing we're entitled to know about, you can't call it a coverup. Valve is not a government institution and they are not acting in the public interest.
    But on the other hand, we are welcome to speculate. It seems if it wasn't project related it's most likely performance/disciplinary related.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    And I don't think Valve not commenting is really an issue.
    You're right that in the long run it won't matter, I just find that it rather interesting that it's apparent that something has happened, and instead of acknowledging that something the response is "Don't look, there's nothing here!" Usually Valve communicate really well with the community but there are some times when they're laughably inept at it. It seems to revolve around Valve's failures, but even then it's sporadic. Another example is the HL2 release date issue back in 2003 when, despite knowing full well that it wouldn't make September 2003, Valve (and GabeN in particular) kept telling the press that it would. You'd think they'd learn from experiences like that, but apparently they don't.

It's entirely different (before someone mentions it) from saying zip about Episode 3 or HL3. Is it largely inconsequential to all of us? Sure. I'm just commenting on it being a bit strange that Valve can have such a good relationship with the community only to turn around and refuse to even confirm if staff have left. They don't need to provide a reason. But...

3. Gabe told one of them to "get in my belly", huge sexual harrassment lawsuit, Gabe can't speak for legal purposes (I find this one the funniest)
    Well... um... if this is a likely scenario then I guess I want to work at Valve. Maybe...

4. Valve realize that no matter what they do they are gonna sound like an evil corporation and people are going to blow this out of proportion, so they are taking the "La la la la, I can't hear you" approach.
    But this is the thing - they won't because Valve can do pretty much whatever they like and still be the industry darling. Steam for example still has an absolutely abysmal web interface in the client which runs like a dog, but everyone tolerates it. Origin had the same, OH NO BURN THE HERETIC. If someone else had closed off a team because they had no further use for them maybe you'd get people complaining about it being "evil" but generally people are understanding that if you can't find a use for personnel, then you have to let them go. I honestly don't think anybody is out to criticise Valve for laying off staff because they have nowhere to put them.

But again who knows what's going on, maybe GabeN sat on them and they all died a horrible death of sweaty, possibly erotic asphyxia. At the end of the day though nobody except the people who were fired/asphyxiated and their families are really affected or care, Valve will keep on keepin' on, and this will be forgotten about in a week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    See, if they were smart they would have gotten jobs at the robot factory.
    At least until the robots unionize.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    But this is the thing - they won't because Valve can do pretty much whatever they like and still be the industry darling. Steam for example still has an absolutely abysmal web interface in the client which runs like a dog, but everyone tolerates it. Origin had the same, OH NO BURN THE HERETIC.
    Valve is an industry darling because Valve practically runs the industry. That's not the same as public relations, and Valve's consistent answer to public relations is "say and do nothing, because whatever we say will be picked apart by fanatics."

People want to burn Origin because it's everything Steam is but worse. After all, if you already have Steam, why would you want Steam's snotty kid brother?
    Last edited by Nalano; 14-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Uh, yeah... since when has valve communicated well with the community?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    But again who knows what's going on, maybe GabeN sat on them and they all died a horrible death of sweaty, possibly erotic asphyxia. At the end of the day though nobody except the people who were fired/asphyxiated and their families are really affected or care, Valve will keep on keepin' on, and this will be forgotten about in a week.
    And it will still have received more coverage than any other firing, laying off, or mass murder in the industry.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

And it will still have received more coverage than any other firing, laying off, or mass murder in the industry.
    No it won't.

Guns weren't involved. Therefore it's not politically timely.

Now if a crazed gunman from Infinity Ward burst in and started mowing down Valve employees, wherein GabeN heroically saved the majority of his staff with his massive bullet-sponging girth, then we'd have immediate Congressional hearings.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

Now if a crazed gunman from Infinity Ward burst in and started mowing down Valve employees, wherein GabeN heroically saved the majority of his staff with his massive bullet-sponging girth, then we'd have immediate Congressional hearings.
    I'd go to the theatre to watch that.

Hell, I'd even pay the theatre ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

I think you mean he'd eat the bullets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I think you mean he'd eat the bullets.
    He doesn't need to, he can absorb them through osmosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    He doesn't need to, he can absorb them through osmosis.
    I like the mental image of him jumping around chomping bullets better.

What I've learned from this thread is being billionaire doesn't mean people won't make fun of you if you're fat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think Valve has ben hiring a lot of people, but don't make enough games to employ everyone. Plus is a very special company, running in a very special way. Only recently Valve decided that firing people that don't fit is a good idea, so have started now. But since very few people has ben fired until now, there was a big group of people that don't fit.

And not fitting in the company don't mean you are a bad employeer. Since Valve is different, maybe "normal" people was a bad fit for Valve, but would be a great employee for any other game company. Or maybe some of the employees fired are people with a creative impulse, that can't be fullfilled in valve now, but maybe can be done in other company.

I like the mental image of him jumping around chomping bullets better.
    It's like a AAA Pacman!

I suspect that after catching and ingesting a thrown grenade, he gained superpowers and proceeded to clobber the assailants to death with a handy crowbar.
    Last edited by Nalano; 14-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Yes, they just left of their own volition...
    Speaking of Volition, I think these ex-valvers should buy the rights to the IP and give us a proper Freespace 3.

Okay, perhaps that's a stretch ... but I'd really like a FS3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly.by.design View Post
    Speaking of Volition, I think these ex-valvers should buy the rights to the IP and give us a proper Freespace 3.

Okay, perhaps that's a stretch ... but I'd really like a FS3.
    why aren't you hoping for an original space combat IP? What is it with gamers and logo recycling?
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    why aren't you hoping for an original space combat ip? What is it with gamers and logo recycling?

Because it is bloody FreeSpace.

Because I want to know what happened after Freespace 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    why aren't you hoping for an original space combat IP? What is it with gamers and logo recycling?
    Because some franchises are actually good enough to continue. Imagine that.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Is this just gonna devolve into Gaben jokes? In that case...

4190242632_a80e05c07b.jpg