Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good quality gaming headsets

(Hello everyone!)

So after accidentally scaring the bejeezus out of my housemate's two year-old daughter yesterday while having a quick punt on Dead Space 2 with the volume turned up, I've decided to be responsible and buy a set of headphones. That way, the only thing that will make the little one jump is the occasional yelp of me screaming like a girlyman. Can anyone recommend a good gaming headset with at least 5.1 surround? Budget is in the £50 to £100 range. Wireless would also be nice if that's not too demanding on the cost/spec ballance. Many thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'm a pretty big fan of the Roccat Kave, but the mic broke after a year already. The rest functions beautifully.

The sound is absolutely amazing (I like full bass and trebble), although the headphones are a bit of a heavy side - which I don't mind, but which may take some getting used to.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've used Sennheiser PC150/160 s for years. Good sound, clear mics, comfortable, pricey. They're reliable as well if you don't rip the cables out. Don't know what the higher end ones are like, and they don't have quite the weight of the Sennheiser audio-only headphones.

Activated Node
    I'm a huge fan of my SteelSeries cups. You've got a somewhat better budget than I had when purchasing them, so you could probably even go for the 7H model here. All of the H series have retractable microphones (which I really value). The 7H also has two sets of ear cups (one for noise-dampening, one for being able to hear people calling to you from across the room), braided cord, great durability and the ability to be dismantled for transit. I could only afford the 3H which have the same retractable mic and which could fold for travel when heading off to play at other places.

Of course, there's always this.

Activated Node
    I also use Sennheiser PC 161s which have served me well for years. No gimmicks, just great sound with a good mic. Would recommend unreservedly if the cables weren't so damn flimsy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I have Steelseries Siberia. They're at the lower end of your budget but they're incredibly comfortable and I have no desire to upgrade them.

I got a Razer Carcharias a couple of weeks ago. It's ultra-light, seems fairly resilient, has good sound quality and an amazing mic (plus a braided lead). Definitely a good purchase, although £80 was a little above what I'm comfortable spending on audio equipment.
    Multinational man of misery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Steel series Siberia. I bought a pair over a year ago and they are still going strong, well worth the investment. Robust build, comfortable. Zero sound leakage & generous cable.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

I have a pair of Sennheiser PC 360's. They're about six years old with no problems, great mic.
    "Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.”

I've also got the Razer Carcharias headset, good sound quality and they are supremely comfortable (even whilst wearing glasses).

I personally always just use a set of good headphones and a clip on mic. I currently use these with this and I find they work superbly, though I think that particular mic would be more expensive to pick up in the UK, but anything similar would work just as well. Granted you won't get surround sound, but I find that a good set of normal headphones gives just as good sound positioning as a surround sound system, at least in the games that I play, and being able to also have a good set of cans for when I'm just listening to music or what not is a big plus for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Razer Carcharias here too, best headphones I've ever used. Not surround but honestly, I think it's worth asking if you really need that. Most stuff on PC does a good job of emulating surround sound in stereo headphones anyway (amazing what sort of tricks you can pull off) and if you find yourself using them to listen to music as well then getting decent stereo headphones makes a huge difference.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    A few too many in the price range to list here, but consider looking into Turtlebeaches as well. The more expensive ones are wireless and have 5.1, but they may exceed the £100. I personally paid £35 for some wired ones that are 2.1 and they're great.