Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar

[VS] Miller will be EU recommended server next week. Let's arrange pub platoons

Miller may be EU's recommended server next week (if it is the lowest pop):
    Quote Originally Posted by @mhigby
    if miller is the lowest average pop EU server it will rotate to be the recommended server next week.

This will not be faction specific. Which means we gotta put effort into keeping new VS players. VS are the worst faction on Miller for PUG squads and platoons.

And so I want to see at least one RPS-run public platoon every night Miller first becomes a recommended server. Preferably two or three.

This is not about recruitment for RPS, but about improving the VS Miller experience. If recruitment it should be for other TVA outfits.

What we need is a rota of people who will run PUG platoons.

What days of the week are people prepared to volunteer to run a public platoon?

If people let me know I'll sort out a rota. Let's do this.

Guide to running a public platoon

You only need one person to run a public platoon.

Setting up:
    1. Start a squad with ~8 RPS members and enable recruitment with a description along the lines of "TVA / RPS Public - Indar - New Players Welcome" ALWAYS prefix with TAV / RPS (see below)
    2. As the squad fills up, remove RPS members from the squad and let them return to the main squad.
    3. ALWAYS remove RPS players. Mixed pub-outfit platoons have never been good. Never use the public platoon as a second platoon if we fill one.
    4. Once you have yourself + 11 pubs in a squad ask in squad chat if anyone has a beacon. If so, kick / invite them to platoon as Bravo SL.
    5. Move Alpha members into Bravo until you have ~8 players and keep funnellling Alpha members into Bravo. Only Alpha need ever be set to recruitment.
    6. Once Bravo is full GOTO 4

Running the platoon:
    1. Use in game voice comms. Check people can hear you properly, check your send / recieve levels.
    2. KEEP using in game voice comms. Even if no one else in the platoon does. KEEP giving orders, encouragement, important information (sundy positions).
    3. DO not underestimate a public platoon. I've pulled off coordinated hot drops on beacons & squad deploy to remove sunderers, I've pulled off my trick of dropping 1-2 people on each satellite, Gen & the point on a tech plant by calling names and stripped it open before the enemy could respond. MAX Crashes etc. People will respond to orders. Just give them slightly more time. So if you do want to organise something like squad delpoy, expect peopel to do it on command if you count down but do repeat "get your map open and ready to squad delpoy" a few times before you give the command.
    4. KEEP using in game voice comms.
    5. Sit yourself in Mumble where you feel most comfortable. Either attach yourself to a squad in split comms or if not in split comms then either in the PL channel if you want quiet or the main channel if you are ok with that. Liaison works very well with runnin pub platoons, but if you do run both roles at once you will probably want to stick yourself in a quiet channel where you can talk direct to the PL but don't hear much chatter.
    6. KEEP telling the platoon what to do & feeding them info using in-game voice comms. Regularly ask for sitreps, let them know text chat is ok.
    7. Use the platoon to support RPS main platoon(s). Whether that's just more feet on the ground or grabbing nearby objectives. See point 3. here.

Advertising TVA:
    I'd like to see a TVA 'landing page' where we can send players to which contains basic info about all TVA & friends outfits and links to ecruitment pages. Something like "If you enjoy this kind of organised experience then head over the [website] and check out outfits to join". For those wondering why we name the platoons TVA / RPS, this is why. We have to get TVA better known, and talking about it in pub platoons is a good way. This is us putting in effort recruiting for other outfits, I know. But I do not see this as a bad thing at all. We all have a better time with a thriving VS community.
    Last edited by Cooper; 17-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

I think this is very important. One tiny little note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Advertsie it as "TVA / RPS Public Platoon - Indar" and let people know not to join it.
    I don't think new players do know what "TVA/RPS" means. Maybe we should write sth like "TVA / RPS: Public Newbie Platoon - Indar", as it should be especially for new players?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Yes, doing this would be good for the community. I'll try to help, but can't promise any days.

Quote Originally Posted by Qw33r View Post
    I don't think new players do know what "TVA/RPS" means. Maybe we should write sth like "TVA / RPS: Public Newbie Platoon - Indar", as it should be especially for new players?
    New players will have no clue what either of them are, I reccommend that the name leads with "Newbie Platoon w/comms - Alpha Squad" or something. Those looking for easy action with proper direction after they pressed Insert to join a squad that was silent will be lead straight into our platoon.

Yes, thats really good; I just thought the discription was not fitting and made something up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    We DO want to post something containing our name and the name of the TVA, or else how will people hear of them? Doesn't matter if they know of us beforehand, as long as it's clear they're welcome to join.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I think the fact that they've never heard of the TVA is kinda the POINT in putting the name up there. Gets name recognition going, associations.

I do wonder if as an outfit that expressly doesn't recruit in game if we actually want to attach the RPS name to it or not. I guess if the point is that they work with the actual RPS platoon, then it makes plenty of sense.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    RPS/TVA needs to be in the name. New players won't know what it means, but it'd be great if they started associating both of those things with competent leadership, good fights and fun.

If we want to put the TVA name then, we have to put our name as well. Simply because people will understand RPS is an outfit, and they may wish to join. They have no direct way to join that "TVA thingy". So the only thing they may actually join is RPS, even if we're not actively recruiting.
    Unless you want us to redirect them to other TVA outfits, but that :
    1-would be clunky,
    2-may not be their wish,
    and 3-most of us have no idea how is life in other outfits ("you had fun with rps? Good now join xxx they are our allies, even if they don't play like us at all")

As for Cooper's request, i will have to try running a public platoon first before committing to any regular run (being the only rps in the platoon, that may be a very lonely job...)

Ok, I agree.

Is there enough space in the textbox to write the abbreviations out (at least TVA)? "The Vanu Accord" sounds more attractive to me than a abbreviation I've never heard of. It sounds kind of organised and professional, I think thats important for new players.
    Maybe "The Vanu Accord: RPS Newbie Platoon - Indar"?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @ksempac we don't really need any new recruits at all at this point, we have to get the outfit intros for the cta people done, and VC and other TVA members are extremely competent. Noobs joining them over us wouldn't be an issue at all, in fact, it'd probably the best option.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Updated the front post. See details re: Why "TVA"

(Also, The Vanu Accord instead of TVA is not a bad idea. How many characters can you fit in the platoon description that appear in the platoon list? Can anyone test this please?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I really support this initiative and will lead public platoons whenever circumstances permit. Work burden this week mean I can't commit to specific nights but I reckon I should manage at least one evening (tentatively Thursday or Friday).

One thing I don't get though: what's so bad about having mixed (ie RPS + pubbies) platoons?

I was in Cooper's public platoon last week and had a good time and thought the platoon was effective. I'm actually quite keen to have something similar again if possible. I know it's not to everyone's tastes and I certainly wouldn't force it on anyone but we normally field enough players each night that we could manage a 'normal' RPS platoon and a mixed platoon (which I imagine would have no more than 10 giraffes in). This guy's idea sounds quite effective. Perhaps we don't want to commit so many giraffes to the cause but I can see the value in having some of us in the public platoon to help build momentum and cohesiveness.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    One thing I don't get though: what's so bad about having mixed (ie RPS + pubbies) platoons
    The issue is when it becomes a half pub/half RPS platoon. Cooper's platoon ended up being really awkward to coordinate with the main force, since it was half-overflow for RPS members but not a real RPS platoon, we had no idea how many RPS players were even in which squads, so we were all bundled into mumble alongside the real platoon. It was a mess.

When there are no more than a squad of RPS members playing it probably is a good idea to have everyone in the pub platoon (for all the reasons that guy mentions), but as soon as you get a reasonable number of RPSers and PUGS definitely split off into two platoons. (Edit: Just realised you said 'no more than 10 giraffes' in the pub platoon, I agree!)
    Last edited by Rizlar; 17-06-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Good point, worth clarifying when I'm talking about mixed platoons I'm still thinking we'd all be on one comms set up (necessarily the in game one). Yeah, it would easily get well confusing if orders/intel were coming and going over two systems. I'd think if we ran a mixed platoon we'd have an RO who's role would be to liaise with the main RPS platoon so that we could group up for big fights and otherwise coordinate as necesary.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fair enough, pub platoons are still a really great idea, and a good way to have some more fun if there are only five or so Giraffes online at the time. Perhaps worth trying out mixed platoons at some point, with proper organisation/segregated squads? On an average night tho, it's probably easier and more effective to just run them separately.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    @ksempac we don't really need any new recruits at all at this point, we have to get the outfit intros for the cta people done, and VC and other TVA members are extremely competent. Noobs joining them over us wouldn't be an issue at all, in fact, it'd probably the best option.
    You didn't understand what i meant. I know we don't need recruiting, i don't want to recruit.
    However, the problem is as follow :
    - beginner comes to public platoon
    - beginner likes playing in platoon
    - beginner wants to play in platoon often, ie join an outfit
    - beginner asks platoon lead to get into an outfit
    - and now problem : wtf am i supposed to answer him? "join EMLD, DIG or DWG they are our allies"? I don't see myself saying that, because i have no experience being part of theses outfits. Regardless of their efficiency / allegiance to TVA, they may or may not have a playstyle that i would consider fun. Hence i can't recommend them.
    The only outfit i can vouch for is RPS

Lesser Hivemind Node
    i just checked the pop graph, according to which miller is NOT the least populated server. ceres was recommended a while ago, but its pop has fallen like a brick in the past few weeks, making it now the lowest pop server by a very small margin. in other words, this may or may not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yes, doing this would be good for the community. I'll try to help, but can't promise any days.
    Same here.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    Ksempac: "Our recruitment test is whether a recruit can work out how to join the outfit".