Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Get to know your glorious leaders!

Are you a mighty balloon leader in the glorious Giraffe ranks? Please post here, taking some time out of your busy giraffe business, so that your disciples may understand how you intend to lead them to mighty victory!

Please, only post here if you are a platoon leader. There should be no need for any other posts.

(Please try to be honest in detailing what you're like. We're not all perfect, but that's why we have a platoon behind us to prop us up where we're not so hot. For instance, I dislike out-right attacks and much prefer to defend. Highlighting key aspects of your mind-set probably wouldn't harm either.)

In other words, all of us who lead do so in a manner that tends to be different to the others. These differences may be small, or, they could be fundamentally different. It's important as an outfit that when someone is leading, we understand how they come to the decisions they make in-game. An appreciation of this should help general platoon activities during the playing week.

I'll start, naturally, with myself: thejgman

I like to make decisions based off all the information available. I spend a lot of time looking in the map, working out where the enemy is and requesting information from people - I don't mind plenty people talking because I'm usually with my map open working out which is the priority (and I can filter out the general chatter if necessary). As a result of this, I tend to be reactionary and specific in movement. I favour mobile forces who are prepared to move on a whim and relocate, be it en route or mid-defence, specifically in the case of the latter if it's going to be fruitless; I don't like sending people into a pointless grind in defence.

In reality, this means I greatly prefer being put on the defensive. If you're fighting under me, my attacking movements tend to be counters rather than an out-right aim of taking X location Y territories away. It means I will occasionally send squads to different locations, with specific objectives in mind, but never too far away from each other as to prevent them from supporting one another. Finally, when we are on the offensive, I will ask for opinions on where to go, based on if people like fighting at a certain spot or have any other reason.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 14-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I like accurate intel with accurate numbers that help me out. For example, I prefer intel around the area where we are at. Unless I have missed a major development somewhere else on the continent, keep it to the area around us. That is usually enough info to filter.

Small attacks is something I do not care about. Someone else will handle them 95% of the time and we don't have to care. Squads (plural) detected and above is what I care about, and large outfit platoons is what I really value having an eye on all the time. I much appreciate info on these.

My general game plan is to be aggressive and strike with overwhelming force where no other VS are. We are the frontline troops that lead engagements, we are not a part of the zerg. Our job is to secure and control hot zones and ghost cap territory when needed/given the opportunity - not zerg tech plants and wait for a cap. We also are the one's that stay behind and defend against retaliation.

I like suggestions when I'm "uuuuhm"-ing a lot and obviously confused, or when I specifically ask for them. If I have given order that is correct (meaning we are needed there/it's not capping etc) I get a little bit annoyed if you suggest something else that is also not really thought through. If you suggest something here, please make sure it's something smart I was too dumb to notice.

Finally, please be accurate. A LOT OF TANKS is not very helpful. Give me numbers unless it's obvious we can't hold them, then just say that we are fucked, and I will understand. Please do overestimate our capabilities though - we are giraffes, and giraffes fight even overwhelming numbers.
    Find me on the Steams

Nothing much to say, other than I am the Sturmtruppenführer and I will lead us to glory!

Or something. No whiners, no teamkillers, no cheaters. Yes funny people, yes good players, yes bad players, yes teamplayers.

I like defending, but mostly, I like defending by taking new territory, as long as it lets us keep our shit. I dont mind intel, but I generally look at the strategic map a lot, so Ill probably know already. Also, things are never as bad as they look, a defence will make much more of a difference than a proper offence.

I'm always looking for advanced tactics, and I love to experiment. So lets see how it all plays out, eh?

QuantaCat, Casual & StratGir, signing off.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    On busy nights:
    I have my nose in the map. I tend to keep the "Enemy activity" overlay on rather than territory. I can see where the platoons is and have a good idea where the enemy zerg is.

If my nose isn't in the map, it's probably in /command or /t or /orders talking with other platoons to get an idea of how things are shaping on the rest of the continent.

Basically: I'm not playing the game. If you see me on the ground, I'll be at the back rezzing people, very little else. I'll often duck out of the front lines, and crouch in a corner in order to type out my /orders.

What I do not need, then, is people telling me about changes on the map. I'll have seen it.

What I do need is details about what it's like on the ground. Namely: Who are we fighting (are we bumping up against recognised outfits or the zerg) and how big the resistance is, what it is we are bumping up against. Like Ridebird, "loadsa tanks" is not useful. What I need to know: Too many tanks? Are we dealing with a push that's gonna break us?

I prefer the offensive but I hate meatgrinders. It's far too easy to get bogged down in tech plant and biolab fights for hours on end. If I can, I will always try to organise something that will shift the tide. Gal drops, sundy runs, MAX crashes. Whatever it takes, but I will always try to avoid the "spawn from a sundy, die a minute later, try again" grinding fights, even if it means wholesale redployment somewhere else.

Because of this, I need to know what the fight feels like. Namely: are we winning. If so, easily?
    If not, I'm more than likely to pull us out. I hate drawn-out defenses. Counter-offensives are my prefered form of defence, rather than holding the walls. I will more likely take us to an adjacent base where we can get tanks, or organise gal drops.

Large platoons outside of Strat nights (which is where I tend to prefer to BL) I try to use as strategic hammers. Either to support the zerg by breaking front lines, or opening up new frontlines. I also try to meet the enemy on the road, not at outposts. If we can pull vehicles and meet them in the open, we always fare better. So I need info one the enemy movements I can't see on the map. Where are their tanks, where is their air. How many. I'd rather "I count eight tanks" then just a rough "lots of tanks". A basic number of how many vehicles & what type you can see on your screen at once is incredibly useful. Even if it's not how many there are in total, it becomes fairly easily to extrapolate from this info.

I also like to keep moving. I know it can be difficult when there's so many people, but rapid movement helps us a lot. I'll always try moving us out before a cap. Which is why you'll hear a fair few reaclls to WG to get Gals when I BL. Fast, large strikes. Like disco stormtroopers...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

As leader, The Angry Scotsman (tm) likes to attack. Oh, and defend. I really, really, like to counterattack.

The Laldy reads military history for fun. One lesson that The Laldy read and learned over and over again is that the effects of a strong, immediate, and sustained counterattack are greater than the sum of the actual force applied.

The (Patented, Copyrighted, and Trademarked) Laldy Path to Enlightenment, Inner Harmony, and Transcendental Total Military Victory ( LPEIHTTMV) can be summerised as follows:

Step1b. Put up a stout defence at a major facility or strongly defendable minor facility. The LPEIHTTMV may require we aquire control of said facility 1st ( This for the pedantic of heart may be considered Step 1a, but is optional).

Step2. Launch the counterattack. With great violence. As soon as Their attack peters out, and it will in the face of a determined and sufficiently numerous defence (it is the Will of Vanu! And, coincidentaly, the Will of The Laldy..), we then advance to contact, and stay in contact till we reach the next facility, usually minor. Then we take it. Then we take a minute or 2 to regroup and look where to attack next.

Step 3a. Keep attacking, targeting major facilities and, optimally, easily defendable locations, until our enemy succeeds in stopping us.
    Step 3b. Set up a defence at the nearest Large Facility or strongly defendable minor Facility.
    step 3c. Go to step 1b, carry it and and following steps out.

Henceforth, Laldy (the Angry Scotsman {tm}) would like the above to be referred to as "Ra Plan, N' That."

Laldy would also like it be to be known that he reserves the right to totally and utterly ignore "Ra Plan, N' That" on the basis that it may not be tatically sound or fun enough for a given situation.

At all times The Laldy will endevour to impart maximum direction with minimum verbiage.

The LPEIHTTMV.

As leader, The Angry Scotsman (tm) likes to attack. Oh, and defend. I really, really, like to counterattack.

The Laldy reads military history for fun. One lesson that the Laldy read and learned over and over again is that the effects of a strong, immediate, and sustained counterattack are greater than the sum of the actual force applied.

The (Patented, Copyrighted, and Trademarked) Laldy Path to Enlightenment, Inner Harmony, and Transcendental Total Military Victory ( LPEIHTTMV) can be summerised as follows:

Step1b. Put up a stout defence at a major facility or strongly defendable minor facility. The LPEIHTTMV may require we aquire control of said facility 1st ( This for the pedantic of heart may be considered Step 1a, but is optional).

Step2. Launch the counterattack. With great violence. As soon as Their attack peters out, and it will in the face of a determined and sufficiently numerous defence (it is the Will of Vanu! And, coincidentaly, the Will of The Laldy..), we then advance to contact, and stay in contact till we reach the next facility, usually minor. Then we take it. Then we take a minute or 2 to regroup and look where to attack next.

Step 3a. Keep attacking, targeting major facilities and, optimally, easily defendable locations, until our enemy succeeds in stopping us.
    Step 3b. Set up a defence at the nearest Large Facility or strongly defendable minor Facility.
    step 3c. Go to step 1b, carry it and and following steps out.

Henceforth, Laldy (the Angry Scotsman {tm}) would like the above to be referred to as "Ra Plan, N' That."

Laldy would also like it be to be known that he reserves the right to totally and utterly ignore "Ra Plan, N' That" on the basis that it may not be tatically sound or fun enough for a given situation.
    Last edited by laldy; 14-02-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: getting it all in 1 post....

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Do not think I have made the rank of BL, but still lead a platoon now and then.

I pretty much only lead smaller operations with around 2 squads, usually after some of the above esteemed leaders have been forced of the frontline by human-resources for forced R&R. I tend to like setting up a good defense and will ask for suggestions from the platoon quite often. But if I can find a decent fight in a larger facility I tend to just go there cry havoc and let loose the giraffes of war.

Obscure Node
    Platoon leader Cortosis here

I like to fight, i like you to fight.

I want to prove we are the best ill take us to the hardest "win-able" fight i can find

I love seeing platoons of tanks\libs crushing the enemy before them.

I love to fight on Indar\Esamir not a big fan of amerish

Also this post needs stickying
    Last edited by Cortosis1; 02-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I have been known to lead a platoon from time to time, and during strat-nights I tend to:

- split us up when appropriate and then reinforce when necessary

- appreciate and ask for regular updates from squad leaders on their progress

- do quick redeploy-galdrops (hurry, hurry!)

- encourage attempts at using squad-level tactics

- spend most of my time looking at the map

- try to end the night with a quick debriefing session, so that we can learn from the night's experiences

On any night of platoon leading (including strat-nights) I usually:

- harrass people to stay together within their squads

- appreciate feedback and tactical suggestions from squad leaders

- try to keep everyone informed of what is going on in the platoon as a whole, and what known allies are up to

- order all of us around whenever we're all in the same place, doing the same thing

- use the words "clear comms!" when I have something important to say (so please quit yapping if I do )
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 03-03-2013 at 08:05 AM.

The concept of always striking from a position of strength and that one should ideally win a battle before even entering it is something I believe in. So when I PL, depending somewhat on the night and the amount of people present, I aspire to try to remain fluid and look for strategic flanking maneuvers, chinks in defenses and always attempt to find advantageous position to strike from, whether that means attacking rapidly behind the enemy push, mount a defense at a solid position or redeploying. This means I'm quite keen on having good intel, as knowing is half the battle.

Like Esoteric, I also try to get people to stick together and thoroughly appreciate constructive ideas and comments from other officers.

However, I prefer as rapid response times as humanly possible once an order has been given, particularly when it comes to redeployments, pickups and the like as efficiency is vital to building and keeping momentum up.
    Last edited by Orius; 06-04-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Figured this thread should be revived given the changes to our structure recently. Should let new peeps have an idea about who the leaders are from a gameplay stance.

Me? In-game I'm Dewisant. I occasionally squad/platoon lead, but not as often as I probably should. When I do lead however, I do so ina very relaxed and casual manner. We're here to play a game so let's have a blast, after all isn't the point.

I have just 3 rules:

1. Have fun and be excellent to each other.

2. If I say break, everyone shuts up for a few seconds. Either me or the Radio Officer probably has important info coming from command and need to hear it.

3. If I ask you to redeploy you stop whatever you are doing and do so. It's not because I'm being a meanie, but because we probably have urgent orders to help somewhere else. It's not fun for the guys being steamrolled because we're not there and not fun for the 11 other people sat in a Galaxy waiting for you. You're breaking rule 1, son!

I'm fairly hypocritical in that I like to encourage chatting in the squad, yet nothing irritates me more than people speaking over each other. Inevitable on voice comms, but lets see what happens.

Strategically, I will shy away from large meatgrinder battles and from following the zerg in favour of finding fights appropriate, maybe slightly larger than our own group size and try odd/new things to outfox the enemy (I really want a scythe squad at a base camped by bursters to fly just over the pad theyre all standing on and roadkill them all!).

Unlike some leaders I do encourage suggestions as to what to do, within reason. I will consider it. If I do say no however, please drop it. It gets tiresome.

I sound kinda harsh in this post, but believe me, I'm not. I'm also terrible at drivving at Harrasers but they are so much damn fun. And liberators. I havent got one fof the ground in a while because I'm normally trying to park it in the landing the pad.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    sketchseven - Balloon Leader // Squad Leader

I tend to combine platoon leading with actually playing the game, which means I'm probably not paying enough attention to the map. So I do welcome suggestions and reports that stuff is getting hit. I like to keep squads together and will frequently give specific orders to specific squads - and then leave it to squad leaders to get the job done. Delegation all the way baby.

I talk a lot. I prefer split comms because I think it allows squads to coordinate to much great effectiveness than everyone in one channel - but also because I want squads to stick together. If you're twelve people moving in on a point, you're far more effective than dribbling in a few at a time. Again, I tend to rely on squad leaders to herd their people in the right direction.

I don't really do rules, other than rule one. I like banter in a channel but I will quite happily tell you to shut up if I need to speak; it's not me stamping all over the place with grumpy pants on, it's because I need to direct the action a bit. I'll take suggestions but I will ultimately make decisions on what I believe to be the best course of action.

I like fights. I hate meatgrinders. I would rather pull out of a fight and go for a quick win somewhere else than a slow grind forwards. I'm always looking for opportunities to flank, interdict, harass and destroy enemy forces.

I also really want people to have fun. And always, always obey rule one. And Wheaton's Law, for that matter.

//

When I'm squad leading, I like to be given an objective by the Platoon Leader and then get the job done. I talk a lot when squad leading and will frequently be trying to coordinate efforts so that we're more effective ("1-6 we're going to hold here and provide cover fire, 7-12 are going to flank in to B"). I like to get information about the enemy around us. I want everyone to have fun, but I want us to be effective. I want enemy units to get the same 'oh shit' feeling about RPS that we do when we see a particularly effective enemy outfit bearing down on us.

I'm Boriz in game. I don't platoon lead often, but when I do I like a combination of the above posters. I have 3 rules:
    1. Be excellent.
    2. Shut up on break.
    3. Everyone redeploys. No lollygagging when there are orders.

I like flanking stuff and hitting from multiple angles. If you're in a platoon I lead and the platoon is big, expect to be spread out from other squads half of the time. I don't see the point in dropping the entire platoon on 15 enemy dudes. This has a downside however. When a fight suddenly becomes harder than expected, I tend to order redeploys from squads who are attacking positions that are not as important. It might be possible that you're being pulled from a winnable fight to reinforce something that needs it.

I'd like to say that I don't care about territory and locks and stuff, but I do. I want RPS to be able to go somewhere and say this is ours, GTFO or die. I want RPS to be a name people fear.

Grible likes to fight outside bases. Grible also likes to fly.

I tend to lead a platoon in a larger group setup - but I vastly prefer squad leading in separate channels. What can I say, I'm a puzzle. Actually I like to micro manage.

I think my style is shouty but not serious - expect me to cuss you out and become annoyed, but not really care. I tend to issue orders as locations or a specific target, "Go to the hill north of B and hold it" , "Mine the road and kill everything on it" that sort of thing.

I like my squads to be fast and responsive, I prefer to hit things from two or three sides rather than run straight at them. I don't normally do specialist squads as a PL I expect any squad to be able to respec and handle any task. I honestly don't care how a squad does something, as long as it gets done. I dislike squads that just dribble about and never get to their targets, it holds up the platoon and it makes us less effective if I can't rely on a squad to pull it's weight.

That goes double for individuals who want to go snipe or fly somewhere else, I've no problem with people doing their thing in support of us - but if you want to go fight somewhere we are not, leave the platoon!

I enjoy most the "blocking fights" where we meet the enemy outside of a base and smash them up on the roads. I dislike Biolabs, I dislike big bogged down fights inside a base, unless it's fun - it normally isn't.

Common Faults with Grible's leadership - I forget about armour a lot. I tend to be a bit slow at map reading. I ignore RO's cos I'm talking. Everything.

If you find yourself in the position of being in a platoon with me in charge, then you'll probably find I like to strike with armour. I will often have people pull back to a base further from the front to pull an armour column out to strike at an enemy's side and rear.

Other than that, I am pretty relaxed about the whole platoon leading thing, and my primary concern is to make sure people have fun. This means getting into fights we have a chance of winning, and denying the enemy a chance to farm us for certs.

PS. Technically, I'm not a balloon leader, but I've found myself stepping up to platooning once or twice recently, for good or ill (mostly ill so far).
    Last edited by lunarplasma; 19-06-2013 at 10:30 PM.