Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 90
  1. #61
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Since when was my discussion dependent on the OP?
    Derail much?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  2. #62
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Derail much?
    So if I patiently wait for the OP to come respond, I'm trolled, but if I allow the conversation to continue on its natural course, I'm a troll.

    There's no winning with you. Why do I even listen to you--

    --ah, there's the problem. La!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #63
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So if I patiently wait for the OP to come respond, I'm trolled, but if I allow the conversation to continue on its natural course, I'm a troll.
    Pretty sure that B0rsuk was talking generally rather than responding to you personally. Not sure where you're pulling this 'I'm a troll' thing from though.

    There's no winning with you. Why do I even listen to you--
    Because you are weak and you can't help yourself.

    Maybe your next post can be faintly back on topic, Vs airing your persecution complex
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-02-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Swiftkey
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  4. #64
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    your percussion complex

  5. #65
    Lesser Hivemind Node Jiiiiim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    763
    Badum tish

  6. #66
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    Badum tish
    Appropriate indeed.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  7. #67
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,381
    Terry Bozzio's kit?

  8. #68
    Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    You have been successfully trolled. Novel, the OP, has only made 1 post in this 3-page thread.
    I don't think it's trolling. Ever since Quinns wrote about his carefully constructed and reconstructed forum personality that he used to help oil his way into games journalism, I've noticed a lot of these audition posts from people hoping to get called up to the big leagues. OP is probably concerned he may say something "wrong" which would hurt the image he's trying to portray. Oh, no slam on Quinns, BTW. He was describing quite openly the mechanical aspects of how he got into games journalism.

    As for the, perfectly legitimate, question: I've made and lost and made fortunes, competed in several internationally renowned clipper races, failed to climb Everest and for a change of pace have recently started volunteering full time. I play games to relax, although I felt pretty good completing Space Miner on my iPad.

    I may be lying about a lot of the above. Not the Space Miner boast - some things are sacred.

  9. #69
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I don't think it's trolling. Ever since Quinns wrote about his carefully constructed and reconstructed forum personality that he used to help oil his way into games journalism, I've noticed a lot of these audition posts from people hoping to get called up to the big leagues. OP is probably concerned he may say something "wrong" which would hurt the image he's trying to portray. Oh, no slam on Quinns, BTW. He was describing quite openly the mechanical aspects of how he got into games journalism.
    If that is somehow the OPs hope, he/she is barking up the wrong tree only Jim really pays any attention to the forums. I'd say a better course of action is to just start writing reviews for smaller sites and build up a body of work.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  10. #70
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    I've made and lost and made fortunes, competed in several internationally renowned clipper races, failed to climb Everest and for a change of pace have recently started volunteering full time. I play games to relax
    At least three out of those four things ARE games.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  11. #71
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    At least three out of those four things ARE games.
    Is volunteering full-time on that list?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  12. #72
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Is volunteering full-time on that list?
    It may well be. At least 75% yes.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

  13. #73
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    It may well be. At least 75% yes.
    Suicide hotline

    Next years big indie hit
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  14. #74
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    19
    I had no idea when this would be approved, but I'm utterly amazed at how far the point has been missed. I'm not talking about games in terms of fulfillment, I'm talking about where billions upon billions put into a leisure industry with it's take of time and resources could be going to far more useful ends, as not all of us live where this hobby can exactly be humored. The only thing fulfillment has to do with it is whether it's worth the initial investment for the increase in psychological health and possibly productivity. As you may have guessed, the same goes for much else.

  15. #75
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    19
    I'm flattered, but please cut out the arguments over the definition of counter trolling.

  16. #76
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I had no idea when this would be approved, but I'm utterly amazed at how far the point has been missed. I'm not talking about games in terms of fulfillment, I'm talking about where billions upon billions put into a leisure industry with it's take of time and resources could be going to far more useful ends, as not all of us live where this hobby can exactly be humored. The only thing fulfillment has to do with it is whether it's worth the initial investment for the increase in psychological health and possibly productivity. As you may have guessed, the same goes for much else.
    So the "why are we wasting money on luxury entertainment when people are starving in Africa" argument, then?

    Because our economy is a domestic consumer-based economy and vidja games are a multi-billion dollar industry. Also, because it's better than spending that money bombing another country. Hell, we still got Republicans demanding we build more tanks not because we need more tanks but because the states in which the tanks are built need jobs.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  17. #77
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    So the "why are we wasting money on luxury entertainment when people are starving in Africa" argument, then?
    Seems so. Oh the humanity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I'm flattered, but please cut out the arguments over the definition of counter trolling.
    You're not even original it appears.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-02-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

  18. #78
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    19
    I'm well aware of the realities of modern economics, and politics in that particular "develop the undeveloped" stance. On the other hand, if DRM and such like are honestly the best criteria we can come up with, I'm disappointed. It's not exactly impossible to work within the boundaries of the current system. As for the last point, i did already answer that in the first post. Maybe a little less strawmanning would be nice. There's a difference between naively donating abused funds and continuously doing fuck all.

    Edit:
    On the other hand, strawmanning is an easy enough mistake on the webs given the seeming sum intellect on display. I appreciate bothering with a reasoned response.

    Additional edit: The blog link was a nice touch, given online animosity's.
    Last edited by Novel; 21-02-2013 at 11:44 PM.

  19. #79
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    10,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I'm well aware of the realities of modern economics, and politics in that particular "develop the undeveloped" stance. On the other hand, if DRM and such like are honestly the best criteria we can come up with, I'm disappointed. It's not exactly impossible to work within the boundaries of the current system. As for the last point, i did already answer that in the first post. Maybe a little less strawmanning would be nice. There's a difference between naively donating abused funds and continuously doing fuck all.

    Edit:
    On the other hand, strawmanning is an easy enough mistake on the webs given the seeming sum intellect on display. I appreciate bothering with a reasoned response.

    Additional edit: The blog link was a nice touch, given online animosity's.
    I don't understand what you're trying to get at. The people who want DRM tacked on are not the people who want to add their artistic merit to the world, and either way the idea of being employed is more important in the grand scheme of what one is being employed to do. Since we'd have a moral crisis, according to the right wing, if we just ended poverty outright, even paying people to dig and fill ditches is better than nothing.

    As for the merits of the industry, I dunno what to tell you: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even in your original post, you found a lot worth enjoying - mentioning the works of CDProjekt and Obsidian specifically - and while there's plenty to complain about, it's not like there's absolutely no benefit. We wouldn't be here if that was the case.

    If you're alluding, then, to ways we could make this industry better themselves in an artistic sense, well, petition Congress to fund the National Endowment for the Arts in the hopes of promoting gaming as an art form and not solely, say, the province of licensed virtual military firearms. :P
    Last edited by Nalano; 22-02-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #80
    You have limited time between when you are born and when you die. Do whatever you can get away with, there are no rules anywhere. On the way you'll invent yourself a thought system and a moral compass to justify the things you do anyway, so it's alright. We all do it.

    If you like playing games, sure. In the bigger scheme of things that is just as insignificant as anything else you might be doing instead. There is no inherent value in anything. All that matters is how much you like doing that thing or how that improves your chances of doing other things you like so it's kind of a ladder you use to get to the higher shelf for the cookies.

    If you like gaming so much that you forget to eat and sleep and die, that is time well spent. Not very efficiently spent since you could probably prolong the time you could be playing video games if you actually survived, but that's neither here nor there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •