Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I had no idea when this would be approved, but I'm utterly amazed at how far the point has been missed. I'm not talking about games in terms of fulfillment, I'm talking about where billions upon billions put into a leisure industry with it's take of time and resources could be going to far more useful ends
    That's what you get when you make your post quite vague and don't come back in time to clarify what you mean. If you look back at my post, you'll see I'm not sure if you were talking about spending that much money on game development, or time on playing games.

Personally I think money spent on most AAA games isn't worth it. The money makes them look better, but as far as mechanics go they are at best comparable to other games, and more often - reduced in scope and complexity, because the development focus was elsewhere. Look at Might&Magic: Heroes VI. 3D graphics, 5 or 6 factions down from 8(9), no user-friendly map editor. Instead of text story pop-ups of the past, you get cutscenes (in a strategy game!!!). 3D graphics is awfully expensive to make, complex, and limiting compared to 2D. I would prefer the money to be spent on AI, interface and pathfinding algorithm research. Or funding new different types of games (Kickstarter is still snowballing :-)

You may as well ask if blockbuster movies are worth the investment. The answer - depends on your point of view. But don't be fooled - you can't just take a movie budget and assign it elsewhere. People do what they enjoy. They also fund what they like. The directors, actors, cameramen probably wouldn't want to work as teachers or in healthcare. The investors, for whatever selfish reasons, don't see funding these things as a good idea.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    The directors, actors, cameramen probably wouldn't want to work as teachers or in healthcare.
    If you want people to become teachers, you raise the salaries of teachers.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Alms - you asked for more info but your inbox is stuffed so I can't PM you, but here's the link I was referring to in my earlier message.

http://videosgames.wordpress.com/201...secret-origin/

Good read. I miss Quinns posting on RPS. He was an adequate replacement for KG - and that is high praise indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If you want people to become teachers, you raise the salaries of teachers.
    If you want people to become teachers, take the kids out of the education system. The kids are ruining it for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    If you want people to become teachers, take the kids out of the education system. The kids are ruining it for everyone else.
    Yeah, and you can't even shoot them, amirite?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Events would suggest otherwise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So we have agreed that the best course of action is a tax on video games to pay for arming teachers to dispense summary justice upon schoolchildren? I'm OK with that.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    So we have agreed that the best course of action is a tax on video games to pay for arming teachers to dispense summary justice upon schoolchildren? I'm OK with that.
    "Yeah, all the other kids were absolute angels once I made an example of Jennifer."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    School is a place where those who know ask those who don't know. The system has fundamental issues. It has been designed largely by Otto von Bismarck, who just wanted a cadre of competent workers, soldiers and yes men. Not people capable of thinking outside the box.
    pass

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    It has been designed largely by Otto von Bismarck, who just wanted a cadre of competent workers, soldiers and yes men.
    Platitudes aside, it has changed substantially since then, as has science and society in general. We are no longer teaching by rote.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl