Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Sang Froid - Werewolves and stuff - charm galore!

Only mention I've seen on this here was in the Greenlight thread but I came across some videos earlier and I like what I'm seeing...

http://www.sangfroidgame.com/

It's on Steam now for pre-purchase and you get into a Beta immediately if you're the impatient sort (and I'm very much that)

So what attracts me to it?

Well there are elements of Tower Defence in there but it's clearly not a trad. TD game or anything like it. There are strategy elements too, there's third-person melee combat and first-person turrets and - it's quite a mashup!

I like that the enemies are simply FAR stronger than you are, which means that you must plan your defences/traps because if they fail - you're screwed :)

I like the 'period detail' - I like the idea of slow-loading guns - I like the weird and wonderful abilities like changing wind direction and it seems to offer considerable customisation of each of the 2 brothers you can play as.

What worries me?

That the game is too prescriptive - that there will be a limited number of ways to solve a level or that some traps/tricks will have limited uses (making it an object puzzles rather than a game)

It does seem to drip with attention to detail tho so you can only hope the game has the same level of care??

Anyone tried it yet?

Obscure Node
    I've not tried it but, like you, found it interesting for the same reasons. I'm prepared to wait for release before putting money on it but, in the meantime, it's on my wishlist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    Did you really abbreviate traditional?

... I'm sad now.
    Abbrevs are totes amaze.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I think you mispelled R

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There are three things about RPS which are noticeable

1 - that people are more interested in puns than games
    2 - that the puns they use are frequently shit due to an obsession finding EVERY POSSIBLE ONE
    3 - that the same people will then pick at grammar or use of a fairly common abbreviation (I work with someone who uses 'trad' in regular speech - let alone when writing something!)

No 1 is the most worrying one tho - it's almost like being a clever-arse is more important than talking about games - hey ho.

Yeah, it's impunsible to find an article without puns.

Will buy on sale.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    There are three things about RPS which are noticeable

1 - that people are more interested in puns than games
    2 - that the puns they use are frequently shit due to an obsession finding EVERY POSSIBLE ONE
    3 - that the same people will then pick at grammar or use of a fairly common abbreviation (I work with someone who uses 'trad' in regular speech - let alone when writing something!)

No 1 is the most worrying one tho - it's almost like being a clever-arse is more important than talking about games - hey ho.
    Hey trjp... I sorry for offending you. No harm meant!

Network Hub
    There are three things about RPS which are noticeable:

1. That people are more interested in puns than games.
    2. That the puns they use are frequently shit due to an obsession with finding every possible one.
    3. That the same people will then pick at grammar, or use of fairly common abbreviations (I work with a rather silly chap who uses 'Trad' in place of a real word).

Number 1 is the most worrying one though, it's almost like being a smart arse is more important than talking about games.
    I fixed that for you.

Oh yes, the game looks like it might be worth keeping an eye on, although I'm inclined to wait a little longer before throwing any silver at it.
    Last edited by lordcooper; 26-02-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: lawks

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I work with someone who uses 'trad' in regular speech - let alone when writing something!
    I would quit.

Activated Node
    Although it's a little self-promotional, I've tried it. Wrote a preview on it too, actually: http://screenshapedeyes.com/2013/02/...of-werewolves/

I'd say you're mainly correct in your guesses there. It's just tower-defence enough to warrant including it in the genre, but the third-person action is really not the game's strong point. It's a slog at times and the stamina system really limits your use after the traps have all been sprung.

The fear-factor and scent mechanics are pretty cool though. Pretty much saved the game for me.