Thread: BAFTA Sillies

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I wonder how that would make them unsuitable for a job
    The part that requires good judgement.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I see where NathanH is coming from. It would be nice if our hobby wouldn't be dismissed as frivolous time-wasting in the majority of cases, but the fact that it is, isn't going to stop me from enjoying it. Society can take its notion of acceptable use of free time and stick it.
    Which is only a non-issue, as with any ideological bias, until such a time as those parties open their mouth, attain a position of influence, or vote.

Intensive, subvertive advertising the likes of which an awards show provides platform for is hardly an argument for legitimacy, though.
    Last edited by sabrage; 18-02-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The part that requires good judgement.
    I'd say the judgement issue is with the beholder isn't it? It's quite possible that loads of people who don't have obvious tattoos still have poor judgement - but judging someone purely on their appearance is definately idiotic.

I'd say the judgement issue is with the beholder isn't it?
    If you had no concept of how society works, yeah, you can view everything in a vacuum. Yeah, people who don't have face tattoos may display poor judgement in some other fashion, but people who do have face tattoos have already displayed poor judgement.
    Last edited by Nalano; 18-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

If you had no concept of how society works, yeah, you can view everything in a vacuum. Yeah, people who don't have face tattoos may display poor judgement in some other fashion, but people who do have face tattoos have already displayed poor judgement.
    That quote is sig worthy, it is so true.

Carry on good sirs, I don't pretend to understand the fine details you lot are arguing about. My philosophy degree never prepared me for real life arguments with real people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Carry on good sirs, I don't pretend to understand the fine details you lot are arguing about. My philosophy degree never prepared me for real life arguments with real people.
    Luckily, this is the internet.

That only makes it worse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You do know there are societies where they would string you up for not having a face tattoo?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    People who have *any* tattoos have displayed poor judgment. Them things are for chumps.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    You do know there are societies where they would string you up for not having a face tattoo?
    I'm not typing to you from a Columbian prison.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

How can we actually know? We only have your word for it and I don't trust no Columbian prisoner with his word.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    How can we actually know? We only have your word for it and I don't trust no Columbian prisoner with his word.
    Assuming I was in a prison in Columbia, face-tattoo'd an all, would you really risk pissing me off just to make a point on the internet?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You're saying that society works by judging people on their immediate appearance and associating them with stereotypes - and you're right, it does.

It's also wrong in the same way that judging people on gender or skin colour is wrong. OK, the tattoo was a choice and probably a poor one but assuming it means the person is a bad employee or whatever is a BIG leap from there.

I was talking to a bloke in a shop once - his job on the checkouts wasn't what I'd called a 'high powered role' but I'd been curious why he was wearing a heavy, long sleeved top on a hot summer's day. He told me he was on his last warning before dismissal because he had a tattoo on his forearm and if his manager saw it during worktime again he'd be sacked.

That struck me a fuckwitism of the highest order - he shows-up for work, he's polite and has no other issues but he has a tattoo (his daughter and wives names with a crest behind them for the curious) and that is a problem for who exactly??

If people have a problem with tattoos - I'd say it's their problem - if you judge someone based on just that, you're a bit of a berk (unless you have a GOOD reason why that tattoo makes their job impractical and I can't think of too many of those!?)

The problem here lies in that the people here giving out awards represent Film and T.V. As has been demonstrated a bazillion times over, people who work in Film and T.V. know as much about Video Games as Keith Richards knows about sobriety or Bobby Kotick knows about morals or Gaben knows about salad. They heard these things exist, they might useful...maybe.

My point being is that in a recent episode of NCIS, a reference was made to kill screens. Hopefully that perfectly demonstrates my point.

British, British. Now I want Fish and Chips, and Bangers, and Tea, and Pie.....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Herald View Post
    My point being is that in a recent episode of NCIS, a reference was made to kill screens. Hopefully that perfectly demonstrates my point.
    Not without at least a trace amount of exposition for the slow among us, such as myself.
    (But I agree with your main points about the probably difficulties of making awards T.V. shows for non-T.V.-related fields).
    Last edited by Berzee; 19-02-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

OK, the tattoo was a choice and probably a poor one
    End of story.

Glad we agree. After all, at least my poor decisions aren't tattooed on my face.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    End of story.

Glad we agree. After all, at least my poor decisions aren't tattooed on my face.
    Where are they tattoed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Not without at least a trace amount of exposition for the slow among us, such as myself.
    (But I agree with your main points about the probably difficulties of making awards T.V. shows for non-T.V.-related fields).
    Kill Screens were in old arcade games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. They were caused by the player progressing so far into the game that the level counter rolled over from 255 to 0 or some other similar numeric catastrophe which is involved the game barfing up a screen full of graphical malarkey that rendered the game unplayable at that point forward.

Because computer programming is no longer limited to FF code hex, such things are rarely if ever seen. For TV show writers to mention such a dead gaming mechanic in this day and age(In the case of the NCIS episode, an MMO no less.), shows clear ignorance on the part of the writers and that whoever wrote the script has not played a video game in over 30 years. The sad part being that the writers made a host of other mistakes involving modern games in their portrayal.

Yes, I'm well aware of the MST3K Mantra before anyone suggests I look it up. But it's my favorite show and I'll critique it if I want to. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    Where are they tattoed then?
    I'd show you, but then I'd probably get thrown in prison.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl