Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Game sounds interesting, though I find it odd that they're releasing a game that has, I'm assuming, been designed to be played over a long period of time on current gen consoles when those are on the way out.
    Because:
    a) Not everyone will immediately rush out and buy the new (overpriced) machine, consoles don't instantly vapourise just because you've released a new one.
    b) You can release a new improved version for the new consoles that'll run in 1080p, without doing a whole lot of development work, and then sell the same game to the same people for full price again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Game sounds interesting. But It could be any direction. If it ends into a Free2Play console "Call of Duty ..in SPAAACE" then is a moronic idea.

We have seen the best parts, the sci-fi stuff. Now we need to see the game parts, what the gameplay is about.

About Bungie comment that nobody want to play the old way... part of it is true, but is more because a style.

So, an article titled Sorry to say it, but keyboard and mouse are losing the FPS market just went live on ArsTechnica. It's an interesting read, and unsurprisingly it's a take on the current situation and the topic on hand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Game sounds interesting, though I find it odd that they're releasing a game that has, I'm assuming, been designed to be played over a long period of time on current gen consoles when those are on the way out.
    Assuming 360+PS3 numbers, you're looking at over 100 million potential audience. If previous generations have shown us anything, it takes a long time for as much as you're going to get transferring over. This throws up an interesting thought; if the game certainly isn't going to be coming out this year, but the new Sony and MS consoles are (all signs point to yes on that), then I wonder how many they're expecting to sell on this gen and next gen? How many do they want to sell to next gen? Surely makes sense to want more of the next gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    So, an article titled Sorry to say it, but keyboard and mouse are losing the FPS market just went live on ArsTechnica. It's an interesting read, and unsurprisingly it's a take on the current situation and the topic on hand.
    I don't think anyone was questioning the business logic of the point; numerically speaking, if you want to sell an FPS, sell it on a console (at least), however some of the numbers in that are a little silly, where if you divide the combined console numbers, the PC actually doesn't lose out by that much. It also completely misses some key arguments, such as that the types of games made have changed, but that this is understood to be that that particular thing is not desired. Well, if Kickstarter has shown anything, it's that that idea is wafting a little of bullshit. Sales expectations fall in-line with this philosophy and you have what's happened to the industry in the last decade.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Who cares if it has horse meat in it, if it sells?
    I mean, if it's on a console... ;)

PS, if the hardware is actually close to true, the next gen might have more cross overs than the current gen has. Look at the popularity of emulation on Playstation network selling old PS and PS2 games. So I think they would sell the PS4 as an "upgrade" to the PS3, over a "new console". Although in reality it's guts are new (different chipsets etc).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The biggest mistake I see with this is that its not PC and a lot of work onto current gen consoles when new consoles are around the corner. For something they want to last a decade they will have to do a lot of work to invest into the next gen console and allow the ability for cross platform play. You can look at WoW where they are able to keep slightly updating the graphics (and drop off the lowest end of hard requirements) each expansion while adding new tech.

This makes me think of a cross of Guild Wars, Skyrim and planetside.

And some White Knight Chronicles and Monster Hunter Tri online system.

I refuse to get excited about this. Here me? I say I refuse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The original contract said that the first game will be released in 2013 on the 360 and 2014 on the PS3, with an expansion also scheduled for 2014. A simultaneous 360/PS3 release was being considered but they weren't sure if it was possible.
    The second game was scheduled for 2015 on the PS4, 360, next-gen Xbox and PC.
    The plan was to have four games and four expansions.
    You can read more here.

Well it's obviously changed in some way at the least, considering it'll be a 2014 simultaneous release on PS360. Considering they're suspiciously avoiding discussing the next-gen platforms, maybe it'll be a 5-way release on the two Xboxes, PS3/4 and PC?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I am going to continue not being interested in Bungie until they announce Oni 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I am going to continue not being interested in Bungie until they announce Oni 2.
    I adhere to this post.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Im absolutely not excited about Destiny. What we know sounds interesting at best.
    The previews state contradicting gameplay information, and although the game is in development for some years now, they did not release a single screenshot. But yet the game gets several pages worth of space in online and print magazines.
    Also you can already buy stuff in their store for up to 100 dollars and all they tell about the game is a list of buzz words. And avoiding the word mmo when everything looks like they are building an mmo.

It just smells like the next overhyped game.

I'm somewhat excited over this. I have no good reason to be, really. But somehow I've managed to fool myself that it's going to be an FPS Monster Hunter in space.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Starforge looks very Bungie-ish, and better.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Bungie were at the PS4 Announcement/Press Conference and demo'd Destiny. And apparently are having exclusive content for the PS4 version.

So... yeah.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Bungie were at the PS4 Announcement/Press Conference and demo'd Destiny. And apparently are having exclusive content for the PS4 version.

So... yeah.
    Bit weird that, isn't it? Considering the game is going to be an mmo-except-not-because-they're-not-using-the-term-mmo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    No subs is nice.

It sounds like a mmo in the same way GW1 was. Sort of? I'm not sure.
    steam: sketch

The PS4 exclusive content is lame, but hopefully it's just timed or something insignificant like aesthetics.

Considering the architecture of the PS4, it has to come out on the PC. Seriously.

EDIT:

I think it's fair to say this is the proper announcement trailer.

Looks good and unsurprisingly, the music is great.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 21-02-2013 at 02:54 AM.