Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Goodbye, Gamespy

So the Gamespy ends its news site:

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html

One by one the game news sites I used to visit regularly shut down. I dont know what to say. Time has passed. Good old days I missed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    It was the first games-site I started to follow daily, and the first forum I became involved in. Sad to see it go, especially since they seemed to have had a good team there the last year or so.

I never read it much, but I fondly remember the "grudgematches" they used to have between different videogame characters. :)

It's so sad. I must admit I never visited these days, but I used to all the time back in the early 2000's, and I will never forget 'welcome to Gamespy' when you logged into the arcade. I wish I would have spent more time there as I didn't realise how devoted they were to PC gaming.

Farewell my friend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Gamespy was a thing in the past for a long time in my opinion, everytime I ran a game with the logo "powered by Gamespy" I thought Man, what is this? 1999?.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I remember especially, The Daily Victim, wherein acclaimed internet comicsmith HotSoup (of acclaimed but now never updated internet comic blankitcomics.com) would draw pictures and Fargo would write the words, and make jokes about how people feel like they have been treated unjustly by Videogames Culture.

I also remember Fargo writing a thing about a WW2-vehicle-themed knock off of Tony Hawk (360 pop shove it to Kubelcar McTwist!).

And Fargo writing about his adventures in Asheron's Call, which I read in the days where I was trying to decide if I would become one of Those People who played a Persistent Online Game.

Actually the only stuff I remember from Gamespy's news site anymore is Fargo-related. =P
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    1up.com is also going away also.

For awhile I had been a daily reader there until their ads got out of hand. Pop ups, audio, etc. I prefer to open any articles of interest in tabs then read it. Its no fun when the same ad sound is going 7 times at a time.

GameSpy was also one of my 1st frequently visited game related websites and the 1st forum community that I got involved with. The news is rather saddening. RIP you old green spy...
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Fargo
    I was disappointed when Fargo left, and IMO after that Gamespy went into a bit of a Post-Fargo dark age. After their fairly recent morphing into a Master Race site, I found myself happily perusing it again. It's a shame that it's gone now.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The joke is, there is no real reason to kill it, they just need to lower their profit projections.

Shareholder expectations and boardroom desperation swallows another piece of history.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I never visited Gamespy proper very often, but I frequented many of the Planet sites

I stopped visiting Gamespy a few years back when they changed the layout of their site. Gamespy 3d will always have a place in my heart though. Made playing Quake 3 online with friends an absolute breeze. Damn, those days were awesome.

I'm not even familiar with Gamespy 3d, only Gamespy Arcade :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Back before the rise of the blogs, Gamespy was one of the better sources for reviews. Their scores were all skewed as hell, but the text of the reviews tended to be pretty indicative.

Heh, I remember the review for one of the later Unreal Tournaments (probably 3?) where the score was fairly good, but the text said absolutely nothing good about the game. And 'lo and behold, it flopped horribly.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I'm not even familiar with Gamespy 3d, only Gamespy Arcade :/
    What was so great about it was its simplicity. You had a games list, and a friends list. When you selected a game, it displayed a list of all servers running that game, and had a coloured dot next to any of them that had one of your friends on it. You could set up filters for basic things like not displaying servers if the ping was too high etc, and that was about it.

I tried Gamespy Arcade once.

Once.

I was like "What the fuck is all this shit!?", and promptly uninstalled it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I didn't read it an awful lot, particularly in the later days when it seemed to be descending into too much of the "DudeBro" culture endemic in gaming today, but it's still a relic of the early 2000s. In that way I'm sorry to see it go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Weirdly enough despite spending a lot of time on their forums (the first forum communities I got involved in were on several of the planet sites and their main forums) my visits to the main site were fairly sporadic, though certainly judging by some of the Sunday Papers links in recent times they had started upping their game again.

Shame to see ti go though.

Network Hub
    Used Gamespy for all my Quake 2 needs. CtF was so incredibly much fun as a 14-year old. Also visited a fair few "Planet <gametitle>" subsidiaries (Hell, I still have Planet Battlezone and Tribes in my bookmarks...)

End of an era :(