Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Why does no one care about March of the Eagles?

So this confuses me... Paradox made a wargame with many similarities to its past grand strategy games that was focused on multiplayer... MULTIPLAYER. These games were never built for multiplayer (in my opinion). Instead they focused on a solid single player experience. Now Paradox has something fresh, March of the Eagles. March of the Eagles is more focused on player interaction and its mechanics are not as deep as other games they have developed but it is still very fun and the multiplayer (which I have spent five hours in so far) is outstanding. The game is balanced for multiplayer, the coalitions are fantastic and the overall experience is incredibly rewarding.... BUT NO ONE CARES! I can't find a single review, no RPS talks abut it, no actual Steam Forum for it.... I joined a group of guys from the Paradox forum to play with yesterday and we had loads of fun, but it feels like the world is passing this one over. Therefore:

1. Why is there so little hype/talk/coverage?

2. Is there something about this game that people hate?

I just found it to be very interesting and would like people's take on it.

*edit* I just realized that my title should be "Why doesn't anyone care about March of the Eagles?" please forgive me as I have no idea how to fix that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I don't like multiplayer.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't like people.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

This is the 1st time I hear of this game. So, bad marketing?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Activated Node
    I will say I didn't realize it did get that much coverage (I thought it was only one post), but PC Gamer and other outlets have really only given it some cursory coverage. In the end I don't really care what it gets for coverage, but I am surprised that more people aren't at least discussing it. Maybe it is just because I was excited for the game, but I just imagined a few more people would be talking about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I don't like people.
    This. I especially don't like them enough to spend all the play time of a Paradox grand strategy with them.

I should note I was very interested when I thought it was just a focused Napoleonic wargame, the minute someone said multiplayer I went off it.

Activated Node
    It may have been poor press, but I felt like this game could have been a fantastic success... and instead it is just kind of muddling along in obscurity. There is still plenty of time, but the initial reaction was kind of non-existent.

@ Ado It is a fantastic game so far (the Metaserver is struggling at the moment so we used hamachi and a direct ip) and you should take a look at the RPS hand on post to see if it is for you. :)

Activated Node
    It should be noted that the game is also single player, but I believe the focus is on multiplayer.

From what I've heard it's pretty decent. I probably pick it up sometime when it's discounted...

I just can't afford to buy stuff lately unless it's on an unbeatable sale. Otherwise I would've pre-ordered, cause I think it looks awesome. Looks sort of like a simpler version of Hearts of Iron set in the Napoleonic Wars, so I'm all for that. HoI has just been too much for me to handle. The multiplayer looks super fun as well after watching some videos, but I don't know anyone that would play with me.

It does seem like it's getting covered less than other Paradox games though, and that's probably because it's not quite the same. It's focused on one aspect, war, and has objectives, where as in all their other games, war is just one part of the whole and you have no goal that you don't create. MoE is much more guided. And it seems like it's too focused for many fans of EU and Vicky, but not complex enough in it's focus on war for fans of HoI. It seems like what Sengoku was to Crusader Kings, March of the Eagles is to Hearts of Iron. That's not bad, and fine with me since I can't wrap my head around HoI yet, but it lacks the scope of their other games and seems more just like a good way to pass the time 'til Europa Universalis IV comes out.
    Last edited by Cosm; 19-02-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Paradox games generally launch into obscurity. Guess they trust that everyone interested will know, and that's likely mostly true too.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Activated Node
    Hmm well from everyone's responses it sounds like there are three crowds. Crowd 1 found out about it right away and purchased it on release. Crowd 2 found out about it, but will wait for a sale. Crowd 3 is anti-multiplayer and wishes to be left alone.

I guess this makes sense, but for whatever reason I felt like it deserved some more hype. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    This. I especially don't like them enough to spend all the play time of a Paradox grand strategy with them.
    I'll take it one more step further and say even if I liked anyone enough to spend a day playing a Paradox grand strategy with them, by the end of the day we'd be at each other's throats.

My circle of friends have seen enough physical violence over Risk games already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    I'll take it one more step further and say even if I liked anyone enough to spend a day playing a Paradox grand strategy with them, by the end of the day we'd be at each other's throats.

My circle of friends have seen enough physical violence over Risk games already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post

I should note I was very interested when I thought it was just a focused Napoleonic wargame, the minute someone said multiplayer I went off it.
    In the last writeup I heard a match doesn't last more than a couple of hours. And you can save.

EDIT: Holy shit googling anything about this game is impossible.

Here's one I retrieved but it seems to be down http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/napo...es-rob-and-joe

Another AAR from the same match on Destructoid http://www.destructoid.com/backstab-...s-244260.phtml
    Last edited by pakoito; 19-02-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Obscure Node
    I don't really do multiplayer, I hope the single player is still worth it..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I care about it, I'm just not going to give my impressions until I've had a chance to play it properly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Paradox games generally launch into obscurity. Guess they trust that everyone interested will know, and that's likely mostly true too.
    I think this one is getting a little more obscurity than usual, though. I guess it may be because the Grand Strategy segment isn't as multiplayer-oriented as, say, the FPS or RTS crowd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caddybear View Post
    Pretty much this.

"Grand strategy" and "multiplayer" are fancy ways of saying "I have too many friends and need a clean and efficient way of getting rid of them."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    My wife and I played Civilization competitively once.

Never again.