Thread: The Cat Lady

The Cat Lady

Saw this on Steam Greenlight and was intrigued by it. Which is very odd because I'm really not an adventure game fan. The last adventure game I played for any length of time was Escape From Monkey Island about a decade ago.

Linkage away:

http://www.thecatlady.co.uk/
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/15574
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=114327732

This one has a Silent Hill vibe coming off it that's just staying with me and I quite like it. I tried the demo and it was interesting. But I'm wondering, is it worth $11.15 from Desura right now or should I wait to see what Steam sells it for?
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Well, I haven't played it yet, but my brother played it while he was visiting and he laughed for the first half an hour straight that he was playing it.

Also, the animations are really crappy. The game runs fine at 60 fps, but the animations (especially during dialogue where you're not moving) make it look like it's running at approx. 15 fps.

There's one part in specific where [spoiler]she has to reach into a hole in the wall and press a button or something, and her arm gets chopped off. Well, after that, she's running around with one arm holding the now nub[/spoiler] and the animation was so bad that I had to laugh at it, myself.

EDIT: I've played Silent Hill 2 and 3. Not even close. Not NEARLY that creepy. Not at the beginning, at least, and like I said, I haven't trudged through the beginning to get to the part where you're dealing with the supposed psychopaths so I couldn't say if it gets better.
    Last edited by johnki; 12-01-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    or should I wait to see what Steam sells it for?
    is it doing so well on Greenlight that you expect it to be greenlit any time soon?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

No idea. How do you check?

I don't think end users can access that data, your best bet is to check with Screen7.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Yes it's doing well on Greenlight, cheers. We can certainly use some more votes though! We'll find out if it's made the catalog for January in about 3 days time.

You may also want to see some of the English reviews:
    http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23373
    http://www.justadventure.com/article...s-the-cat-lady
    http://mashthosebuttons.com/review/the-cat-lady-review/
    http://www.futuresack.com/index.php/...at-Lady-PC.htm

And RPS have a copy & will perhaps review it in the near future.

PS It seems anyone who speaks highly of this game is instantly dismissed as one of the authors or publishers trying to promote it. If you can get past the graphics (obviously some can't) then you'll find a well-made touching game underneath. That IS from the publisher trying to promote it ;)

Obscure Node
    The last adventure game I played was The Longest Journey so you can guess I'm not a great fan of pointing and clicking. Still horror + free demo, well worth a punt. I can think of several reasons why this game will not be everyone's cup o' tea but as a fan of foreboding and the unknown the demo certainly brought a smile to my blood and flesh covered skull.

Full game now bought and paid for, downloading as I type. As a man of few words, 17 at last count, I may never return a conclusion but with 1 minute remaining I'm feeling quite excited - the British sense of enthusiasm knows no bounds.

I did end up springing for a copy from Desura because it was under $12 and DRM-free.

The voice acting is very good even if the graphics aren't so much (the art direction does help in that though). I think I'll play it more in depth over the weekend.

Obscure Node
    So, keeping it spoiler free, what did I think of The Cat Lady? Let's start with the bit you all want to hear about. What was the absolute worst part of the game?

The ending. Not the end of the story, not the end of the game play, no, the ending credits. Watching the closing scene I knew there were one or maybe two decision points I could replay in short time and I certainly wanted to change one of those decisions. As the credits started to roll I was ready to jump back to my last save and try the alternate path, only the game wouldn't let me. Stuck in the credits, unable to skip out I cursed quietly under my breath, momentum fading and loaded a YouTube play through. Certainly everyone involved in this game deserves credit, I think the player deserves some consideration. Way to spoil the afterglow.

That out of the way, what's the second worst part of the game? The beginning. This time I am talking about game play/story but not about the absolute start of the game. The absolute start, first few scenes, do well to represent what is to come with logical puzzles, a twist or two in the tale and what some may regard as a little horror. The problem came near the beginning, which is what I should have said but that would have carried less impact, in a hospital with probably the trickiest puzzle in the game. At this point I neither know nor care that much about the main character and the twists in the puzzle, while not ultimately unreasonable, just get in the way. Not only is this unfair to the player it is also unfair to the developers because once this is out of the way the rest of the game proceeds in a thoroughly enticing manner.

Less enticing would be bugs and here there is good news. The only major bug I found was one total lock-up while Alt-Tabing so always save beforehand. The minor bug list is composed mostly of inconsistencies between the spoken words and on-screen text, there are a couple of places where the pause in the dialogue is either too long or too short, one non-fatal dialogue loop when talking to a nurse and I'm sure there are one or two interaction bugs which are solved by walking away or discovering an otherwise unrelated item. One big inconsistency occurs during the cat man sequence where you interact with said character before you have actually met him, not a deal breaker as the game is able to stand above such an issue but still a little jarring.

A story heavy game like this can stand or fall on the quality of the voice acting, I will say the quality is good overall, failing briefly with one character and holding a high standard with both female leads. Talking of the leads I do have a bias, I'm totally in love with the voice of Brittany Williams.

While the demo does give a good feel for the game, it does not give you a feel for the story. Here my literary appreciation skills, or lack thereof will be of little help. The story is not about depression, it is about someone who is depressed and while it does go out of the way to convey some understanding of the why and how of the main character's mental state I do not think it dwells over long on the subject matter. Likewise with suicide, it is a thing and here are one set of circumstances that may lead someone to take that action, an essential part of the story given quite a minor role in the overall scope of things.

There are words on the internet condemning the level of gore in the game. Perhaps this reflects more on the success of the story telling or maybe it is using some adventure game base reference. Pitched as an adult themed horror game it is certainly not suitable, on many levels, for children of any age, but not once was the screen smeared with blood, not once did I rip the spine from some unfortunates body and not once did I head shot someone for wearing the wrong colour of body armour. So, yes squeamish beware for here be gore but in context I did not find it OTT, take perhaps FO3 as a guide.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my play of The Cat Lady, to the point where yesterday it took a concious effort to break the compulsion to play just one more scene, and even then it was a good hour before the effort was successful. Play time was probably around the 9 hour mark as the internet has mentioned and I'm now suffering that sadness I think we all feel when there is no more game left to play.

So, these are my 17 words. Tomorrow I return to my lessons in arithmetic.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Recently added to the current Groupees BMA bundle I just noticed.

They just don't make adventure games like they used to.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dead Herald; 21-02-2013 at 12:23 AM.